Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

View Poll Results: Do you agree a system like this should be put into place?
Yes (If you have improvements on the proposed system, say them in the thread) 14 73.68%
No (If you have a different system to suggest, say it in the thread) 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default A suggestion

I suggest that until each mafia game generally has 18-20 or more players, we run one game at a time. My reasoning: The current games are small and Mafia Game 9 can't even start because there aren't enough players.

Once the games reach about 16 players, once 8 or so have been lynched, signups for the next game can start and if the first game drags on, the second can start.

Anyway, vote in the poll and express your opinions here!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.
Default Re: A suggestion

I personally do not like ths and think it will end up breaking the system, so no.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Yes. The reason there are multiple games at the same time, is that when that rule was created, tons of people were playing and games were ridiculously big, not the case now. Apparently the graphical representation of mafia players in relation to time resembles a sine curve, and if this continues, we will have to keep changing to fit the data at the time. That is the best option, so once again, Yes.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
I personally do not like ths and think it will end up breaking the system, so no.
It's a temporary fix to the small games and lack of games starting. Once we have a large player base again, this little bit would just disappear.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Megadog
The Demagogue

I vote yes, even though it will delay my game starting...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

I agree with Julian and especially with Pumpkineater. Mafia participation comes in waves on Hamumu: a lot of people will suddenly join, causing balance issues until a fix to the hosting rules is made. Then a lot of people will abrubtly stop playing either because they left the forum altogether, didn't like the game, or got too good and either get nightkilled Night 1 or instantly lynched Day 1. That causes issues like those we're having now until another hosting fix happens. First time around it was the Leagues, which were near-unanimously liked (a few people that felt that the B league was below them and A league wouldn't accept them, like myself, didn't like them) until we started running low on hosts and players. Getting rid of the leagues was a good decision and, as player levels get lower and lower, this move seems necessary. All I can hope is that player levels will begin increasing again.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I say bring back the leuges and have 1 game at a time in each leuge. Ie, leuge 1, when the game ends, signups are posted. same in leuge 2.

edit: perhaps we coould allow people to play more that one game at once. I dont think thats a good idea though.

Last edited by Gigacat; 08-04-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
I say bring back the leuges and have 1 game at a time in each leuge. Ie, leuge 1, when the game ends, signups are posted. same in leuge 2.
Whoaaa now. The reason the leagues were merged was because there was absolutely no activity from the A league whatsoever. There may be a few players that could go in there now, but not enough.
- A spambot
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
Whoaaa now. The reason the leagues were merged was because there was absolutely no activity from the A league whatsoever. There may be a few players that could go in there now, but not enough.
Besides, there is no point in telling someone "You cannot join this game, you have to wait for that game this random guy is playing to end". It would just annoy people.
And definitely no to bringing back the leagues, there are not even close to enough active qualified players for the A league.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

One game at a time would make sense. After all, that's the system that we used to have and it worked fine, as far as I can remember. Plus it'll stop this silly rule where you can't be playing a game and sign up for another, or whatever it is.

Of course, you could just leave it down to the discretion of the host as to when his/her game starts. Just say that a game of mafia starts when enough people have signed up.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
One game at a time would make sense. After all, that's the system that we used to have and it worked fine, as far as I can remember. Plus it'll stop this silly rule where you can't be playing a game and sign up for another, or whatever it is.

Of course, you could just leave it down to the discretion of the host as to when his/her game starts. Just say that a game of mafia starts when enough people have signed up.
Another good point. I hate having to choose between two games that sound promising.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

The system we have right now works fairly well, i believe the game players are down because it is summer, I think once we get out of summer break we will have more activity. Maybe another way to sign up?
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjoshua View Post
The system we have right now works fairly well, i believe the game players are down because it is summer, I think once we get out of summer break we will have more activity. Maybe another way to sign up?
No, it does not. We are constantly having games with 8 players, which is ridiculous. And getting even 8 players is getting harder and harder.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

From What I saw this last mafia game around we had a full game and a game of 8. Like i said this is probably due to summertime and vacations.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Here is a possible system we could use that could be changed according to the number of players we have:

All games would have an 8 player sign up limit. This eliminates horrendusly long games and shorter games have a better chance of keeping player's interest, cutting down on lurking.

The number of games running at the same time would depend on the number of players currently playing mafia. For example, right now we would probaly only have 2/3 games of 8 players running. Players would not be able to play more than one game at the same time, like before.

Further suggestions to the above system:
  • A Mafia "Council" would be instated, consisting of both permament members and temporary members. The Council would vote on any changes to the mafia system, including increasing/decreasing the number of games that run at the same time.
  • The permament members at the council's formation are chosen first by a nomination. Any mafia player can nominate another player. The nomination then must be seconded by another player. The mafia community must then vote on whether to make this player a permament member or not.
  • Any future permament members may ONLY be chosen through nominations by 2 Council members and then by a vote from the community.
  • Temporary members require no nomination and are on the Council for only one year. They are chosen through only a community vote.
  • Any player nominated for a position may decline their nomination, in which case a vote for that player will not occur.
  • Any proposed changes to the mafia system must be voted on by the Council and require a majority vote to be passed.
  • Permament members may be removed from the Council by a majority vote from both the Council and the community. There must be a valid reason approved by the Council in order to remove a permament member.
If above system is chosen:
I nominate Jamul, Julian, and Mr.Onion for the permament council, and nominate PlasmaCannonsRule, SpaceManiac, Blackduck, and WackyWatty for the temporary council.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 08-11-2010 at 08:56 PM.
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Sounds overly complicated, to be honest.
SpaceManiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Felixrain
has transformed!

To be really really honest with you, I think a mafia council could cause extreme problems (The majority of council members might think that a major change for the good was unneeded, thus cancelling the suggestion, for example), and like SM said, it just seems overcomplicated.
- A spambot
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
Here is a possible system we could use that could be changed according to the number of players we have:

All games would have an 8 player sign up limit. This eliminates horrendusly long games and shorter games have a better chance of keeping player's interest, cutting down on lurking.

The number of games running at the same time would depend on the number of players currently playing mafia. For example, right now we would probaly only have 2/3 games of 8 players running. Players would not be able to play more than one game at the same time, like before.

Further suggestions to the above system:
  • A Mafia "Council" would be instated, consisting of both permament members and temporary members. The Council would vote on any changes to the mafia system, including increasing/decreasing the number of games that run at the same time.
  • The permament members at the council's formation are chosen first by a nomination. Any mafia player can nominate another player. The nomination then must be seconded by another player. The mafia community must then vote on whether to make this player a permament member or not.
  • Any future permament members may ONLY be chosen through nominations by 2 Council members and then by a vote from the community.
  • Temporary members require no nomination and are on the Council for only one year. They are chosen through only a community vote.
  • Any player nominated for a position may decline their nomination, in which case a vote for that player will not occur.
  • Any proposed changes to the mafia system must be voted on by the Council and require a majority vote to be passed.
  • Permament members may be removed from the Council by a majority vote from both the Council and the community. There must be a valid reason approved by the Council in order to remove a permament member.
If above system is chosen:
I nominate Jamul, Julian, and Mr.Onion for the permament council, and nominate PlasmaCannonsRule, SpaceManiac, Blackduck, and WackyWatty for the temporary council.
I have to disagree with SM and Felixrain, I like complicatedness. Still, I do not like the purposed system for a few reasons:
-A 8 player sign up limit would be horrible. Big games are fun, as long as they are well-organised and don't end up like B18.
-Players should be able to play any game they want. What if there are two games in a row and they want to play in both? This system has been horribly annoying since the leagues got merged. It is okay to cut a set of players in two and behave on them independently and accordingly, it is broken to have a ruleset like the current one, or related. (Players can play one game in 2/3, their choice be limited by other games they have played in).
-The council. It gives people superiority over other people when having to make rule changes. While I can think of some people who could handle this incredibly maturely and do what they would consider to be the best, you really cannot limit everything everytime forever in mafia and take away the community's right to adjust the rules in a manner appropriate to the situation. The powers that affect the players should come from the players. We are not a community with hundreds of thousands of members which would excuse the need of a parliament.
-u cant nonimate membraz 2 joen ten councel and nobedy can due to there is no initial councel they wuld oll be temp LUL
Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

It is an interesting idea but I agree with Pumkineater when he says we can just do things like this poll to make decisions instead of having a request and it being approved or denied by a small group. I must also say I also enjoy big games but also hosts should be prepared to have a group of 8 and if you get a group of 8-10 you just need to work with it the best you can... It doesn't ruin the game just minimizes the number of power roles and uniqueness.

Last edited by texasjoshua; 08-12-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjoshua View Post
It is an interesting idea but I agree with Pumkineater when he says we can just do things like this poll to make decisions instead of having a request and it being approved or denied by a small group. I must also say I also enjoy big games but also hosts should be prepared to have a group of 8 and if you get a group of 8-10 you just need to work with it the best you can... It doesn't ruin the game just minimizes the number of power roles and uniqueness.
Exactly, it minimizes the number of power roles and the uniqueness. Uniqueness is why I play mafia, I don't want to play the same thing with the same roles with the same people 10 times.