Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Default How do I quit an extracurricular activity without insulting the instructor?

I want to quit kickboxing, it takes about 9 hours of my life off my week every week, and it really needs to end. I am tired of it, it got repetitive and boring, not to mention how it forces me to sleep late since it ends at 11. And then of course, there is the violence factor, I used to enjoy this. I used to like fighting, but I hate it now. I have turned to a pacifist, kickbox is not in my interests anymore. The problem is, the instructor is a really nice guy, and would be very sad and offended, and would blame himself. I don't want to insult him or anything, and staying is out of the table, since I can't really stand this schedule anymore. I need a way to tell this to him without making him feel any bad. I am notorious for my flawed social skills, and for that I am consulting the Hamumu community. How do I achieve that?
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
TyTBone
College Boi

Default Re: How do I quit an extracurricular activity without insulting the instructor?

Just lay out and explain all the factors, and be kind about it. Does he have an office that you two could sit down and discuss in? (Or some place you could sit down?)
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
evilclone
bigger puny mortal

Default Re: How do I quit an extracurricular activity without insulting the instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
I want to quit kickboxing, it takes about 9 hours of my life off my week every week, and it really needs to end. I am tired of it, it got repetitive and boring, not to mention how it forces me to sleep late since it ends at 11. And then of course, there is the violence factor, I used to enjoy this. I used to like fighting, but I hate it now. I have turned to a pacifist, kickbox is not in my interests anymore. The problem is, the instructor is a really nice guy, and would be very sad and offended, and would blame himself. I don't want to insult him or anything, and staying is out of the table, since I can't really stand this schedule anymore. I need a way to tell this to him without making him feel any bad. I am notorious for my flawed social skills, and for that I am consulting the Hamumu community. How do I achieve that?
tell him that you cant on the [insert extracurricular activity here] practise because school is getting hard and you just cant go to your [insert extracurricular activity here] practise because you need to study.........

Last edited by evilclone; 10-14-2010 at 11:56 AM.
evilclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
Just lay out and explain all the factors, and be kind about it. Does he have an office that you two could sit down and discuss in? (Or some place you could sit down?)
Easier said than done, but probably worth a shot. I will do it once I stack up enough willpower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilclone View Post
tell him that you cant on the [insert extracurricular activity here] practise because school is getting hard and you just cant go to your [insert extracurricular activity here] practise because you need to study.........
Everybody who would hear that from me would drop on the floor laughing. People who know me know that I do not study for school, I just pay attention inside the class and actually remember the lesson. It is also known that I do not do most of my homework, because I find it to be pointless.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
TyTBone
College Boi

Emphasize your need for sleep.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
death
Banned

as for what to say, theres two ways to go about this: try to make it funny, or try to make it sound like its not him, its you. I suggest the latter, because making it sound funny might not work.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

TyTBone's suggestion is pretty much all there is to it, but to ease the tension, perhaps share your opinions on the instructor to him personally, as well. Say you had a great time, he was a great teacher, and explain that it was an honour to be his student. It'll let him know that it's not his fault.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS

Last edited by Wesley; 10-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

Just pretend it doesn't exist any more and don't go anymore. I did that with Tai-Kwan-do (I wish I was back in it now, I got bored of it at the time) when I was a green belt, and they just gave me one phone call telling me that my ID was getting destroyed if I didn't come in the next week, and I didn't go.

Unless you're borrowing some expensive equipment or something of the sorts, you can just stop going.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
Just pretend it doesn't exist any more and don't go anymore. I did that with Tai-Kwan-do (I wish I was back in it now, I got bored of it at the time) when I was a green belt, and they just gave me one phone call telling me that my ID was getting destroyed if I didn't come in the next week, and I didn't go.

Unless you're borrowing some expensive equipment or something of the sorts, you can just stop going.
That would be impossible due to the relationship we have with the place. My father administrates the website, and in return we do lessons discounted and get free equipment. My father is going to keep going anyway, and some people from my school go there. Also, that ID thing implies you went to some big taekwondo organization, this is not the case with me, since there are about 10-20 students at each lesson. Ignoring it and forgetting it exists would be like leaving my house with no trace. Not to that extent, of course, but the analogy is valid if you adjust the relationship degrees properly.
I think I will follow TyTBone's advice about the sleep emphasizing thing, since it is a fact that lately I have been incredibly tired at school.
Thanks for all your advice, it really helps.