Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Why should threads be/not be merged with GWF in Total Mayhem?

Since there's been another anonymous mass-merge recently, and it's sparked a bit of discussion that I believe shouldn't be drowned out by the masses of spam in GWF, I'm starting this thread. It's in GB, so no spamming in it - just a civil discussion about why you believe threads should/should not be merged with GWF.

I believe they should not be. My main reason is that even if they're spam threads, they're still spam threads. For the most part, they all have the same sort of spam in them, and in these cases it's like merging the signature rating thread with GWF. It also makes it impossible to follow these threads anymore, if you enjoyed them, because there are now so many other posts separating the posts in the one thread.

So now, discuss!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Why should threads be/not be merged with GWF in Total Mayhem?

I think the threads that just have posts with text like "Plerp", "Banana rock!" and "ANTI-CAPS" should be merged. But not forum games or spam threads that have a theme. And are not just random words.

Last edited by Pewskeepski; 11-22-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Uh
Pewskeepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
I think the threads that just have posts with text like "Plerp", "Banana rock!" and "ANTI-CAPS" should be merged. But not forum games or spam threads that have a theme. And are not just random words.
This is my opinion as well. There can be very worthwhile spam threads that might get lumped together with the terribly boring kind of nonsense that makes me want to pull my own brain out. I don't see why people should have to endure pure garbage just to see what might become the next big Hamumian fad if seen by enough people. This site is currently being diluted with terrible internet memes from other, more unscrupulous sites that shall not be mentioned by name, and so I see it as imperative that this site gain its identity by establishing new and more interesting fads and memes.

Wouldn't be great if the Hamumu Software message board had its own culture instead of borrowing most of it from the bowels of the gutters of the fringes of the internet?
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurEminentDoomsayer View Post
This is my opinion as well. There can be very worthwhile spam threads that might get lumped together with the terribly boring kind of nonsense that makes me want to pull my own brain out. I don't see why people should have to endure pure garbage just to see what might become the next big Hamumian fad if seen by enough people. This site is currently being diluted with terrible internet memes from other, more unscrupulous sites that shall not be mentioned by name, and so I see it as imperative that this site gain its identity by establishing new and more interesting fads and memes.

Wouldn't be great if the Hamumu Software message board had its own culture instead of borrowing most of it from the bowels of the gutters of the fringes of the internet?
That is actually the case, in the long run you see many things arise that mark the community. One even got a website of its own! The point is, the site is not flooded with those memes, they are just a part of the fun. What would not be fun, would be to get a trollface on every other thread. Yes. That is not fun.
On topic now, I agree that pointless threads without a character should be merged with GWF, but pointless threads with a character, should stay alone. "lol this is not GWF its better" threads should indeed go right in GWF, but not "would you go even as far as to think to", since in these silent times of low traffic that occur when there have not been game releases for a while, those little things are what the community uses to have fun.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
TyTBone
College Boi

Problem? I didn't think my poll, while bizarre, needed to be merged, but apparently mods thought otherwise. I create stuff that interests me and I want to see how people react to it, like with the Rage/Troll comic concepts (only two, btw) I've borrowed from the Internet. I have little interest in many of the forum in-games and Mafia, and at least I'm being semi-pro-active about doing stuff. Things just move slower around here.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
death
Banned

I agree with most of the people who posted in the "should not be" side, and I indeed agree that some threads should be merged. my "in b4 GWF merge" was a great example, while it was a thread to make a point, the point was made, and thus merged where it should be. however, the goofy poll should not have been, as only one poll can stay in a topic, and since total mayhem is indeed called total mayhem and not "GWF, a few yet-to-be-merged threads, and a bunch of forum games"; there should be much more consideration taken with the merge feature in total mayhem. if not, I suggest a subforum for goofy threads and polls, and/or a name change of TM, since it is neither total, nor is it mayhem.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

There's a certain line between silliness and spamming just because you want to. If there's an image or a cool video you found, (site, etc.) it deserves it's own thread. If you want to discuss a certain topic, then I guess that's fine too. The cutoff line is just when you go "INSERT RANDOM THING HERE LOLOLOLOL DISCUSS" is when I do believe it should be merged with GWF.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
death
Banned

I guess... but can we at least put a stop to the "inb4 GWF merge" thing? I think we can all agree that that is really annoying.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
The cutoff line is just when you go "INSERT RANDOM THING HERE LOLOLOLOL DISCUSS" is when I do believe it should be merged with GWF.
Problem being that most of the time it's all random things that fall under the same category, not a thread where GWF where the point is to post whatever you feel like posting.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

I felt that I should probably chime in on this since I made the offending thread. GWF was created
out of a kind of dare made in Corrupt-a-Wish. It was created
pretty much just to house inane drivel that had started seeping into other threads where it didn't belong. And some pointless threada did warrant a merge witj GWF. Threads containing just pictures or random strings of words, for instance. Other stuff, like memes or in-jokes, don't really need to be merged. If it's going to be abused and become a single, cluttered thread from 1000 other threads, I'd rather if someone just locked it. It should be a thread for people to go to have an intelligent conversation-free atmosphere, not a thread where any kind of goofiness is disposed of.

BTW, no, I'm not staying. I just happened to glance at the site tonight because I was bored. I'll probably check back tonight and tomorrow for replies and then vanish again.