Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Petition to cancel a mafia game

This thread is made to allow you to ask for a game to stop, for a reason of severe concern.

Current game on petition, Mafia 10, as the last day alone has been almost 2 months long, stopping other games from starting while getting absolutely nowhere, because of lurkers.

Because this situation was caused by lurkers I include in this particular petition the request that if one signs up for a mafia game, one actually then participates actively in it.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: Petition to cancel a mafia game

I think that the problem in that game is not lurkers but the host (no offence SM, I know your busy with PlatyMoose stuff). A few points:

1. The host should by now have put a deadline in. That will speed up the game.

2. There are actually enough votes right now to make the game go into night.

3. He should probably have gotteen a Co-Host.

Oh, and sign the petition.

Last edited by Gigacat; 01-15-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

sign the petition
. Yellow Wizard . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

There's a private message button! Right there! You don't need to openly declare your hate and ask others to do the same. I'm busy, I've been trying to get to it, I'm sorry. I know it's gotten out of hand. I know it's an issue. But it really bothers me that you guys have to take it to extremes.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
There's a private message button! Right there! You don't need to openly declare your hate and ask others to do the same.
Megadog hasn't publically declared any hate. He's simply pointing out that a single day of the game has lasted longer than most games do. This is what happens when you don't apply deadlines.

HOWEVER!

Signing up to play a game implies you will play it. This may come as a shock to some people. It would take me a small amount of time to simple ban anyone who lurks lots (You know who you are. Some of you are in this thread!), or people with less than 20 non-TM posts. Since I set hard, lynchless* deadlines, this would make things more balenced.

*IMO, these are the best kind of deadlines. If the town doesn't want lose, they should get on with it.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
It bothers me too how people take it to the extremes and attack SM. Knowing him, he has a reason for his delay, and the fact that he has a life outside Mafia is not to be used as a reason to attack him. His "time for Minecraft" is horribly limited too as I have seen in the past, with him not being able to play in his own server due to being busy. SM has contributed so much to the community, and if anything, we should be grateful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Megadog hasn't publically declared any hate. He's simply pointing out that a single day of the game has lasted longer than most games do. This is what happens when you don't apply deadlines.

HOWEVER!

Signing up to play a game implies you will play it. This may come as a shock to some people. It would take me a small amount of time to simple ban anyone who lurks lots (You know who you are. Some of you are in this thread!), or people with less than 20 non-TM posts. Since I set hard, lynchless* deadlines, this would make things more balenced.

*IMO, these are the best kind of deadlines. If the town doesn't want lose, they should get on with it.
I agree with both of your posts, and both are true in the fact that we understand that SM is busy but It does not remove the fact that he is busy, I will most certainly agree that canceling the game is an extreme but maybe a more minor thing to get the game going again should be considered
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Since the host has said right here that he's not going to continue the game in a timely fashion, I agree it should be closed. Mafia is just plain dead if the games aren't moved along efficiently. If SM can pass the info over to a new host, then that should happen, otherwise the game is actually done, it's just not killed, right? If there's no host running it, it's not going anywhere no matter what the intentions are. If people can't agree to close it, then why not just start the next game while it's sitting there?

It's not about who's bad or good or what anybody did wrong, it's simply that a game has stopped, and if people want to play, we need a new game. There's nothing extreme about canceling it when the alternative is simply letting it sit there (which has the same effect as canceling it, only difference being that no new game starts!). I don't even understand the reason why somebody would call this extreme, which several have.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Megadog
The Demagogue

Thank you for summing it up Jamul, it seems you understand my intentions well.

At no point in time was this an attack on anyone, and I'm sorry you felt that way...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Since the host has said right here that he's not going to continue the game in a timely fashion, I agree it should be closed. Mafia is just plain dead if the games aren't moved along efficiently. If SM can pass the info over to a new host, then that should happen, otherwise the game is actually done, it's just not killed, right? If there's no host running it, it's not going anywhere no matter what the intentions are. If people can't agree to close it, then why not just start the next game while it's sitting there?

It's not about who's bad or good or what anybody did wrong, it's simply that a game has stopped, and if people want to play, we need a new game. There's nothing extreme about canceling it when the alternative is simply letting it sit there (which has the same effect as canceling it, only difference being that no new game starts!). I don't even understand the reason why somebody would call this extreme, which several have.
I believe passing the info to a new host would be a better idea than to completely stop the game, since it allows the game to be concluded instead of ruined. I never said I was against that, when I mentioned extremes, I was referring to the now-deleted reply I quoted. While I don't have time to play mafia games anymore, I like to lurk and watch them from an outsider's point of view. Even though I would like to watch a game, it being either this one or a new one, I will not take sides regarding the current one's continuation.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Then I guess the question is whether to flat-out cancel it or find a new host. This was definitely a failure on my part and I'll make sure it won't happen again, one way or another.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

To point it out, I don't see how a new host, unless they instilled a deadline, which SM could just do anyway, would fix the problem...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I apologize if I insulted anyone accidentally in my comments, it wasn't intentional. I'm all for continuing this game if a new host can be found, but if we cant find a host willing to take over I'd say thats fine lets go ahead and move on to the next game, whatever ya'll think works best.

Last edited by texasjoshua; 01-16-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

If somebody is willing to take my role in the game, I'd be willing to host the game. Or, instead of getting a new host, we could just add a co-host in case SM isn't able to check on the game for some reason.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

So whats the verdict on this?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Nevermind, I realize I am too busy. Feel free to ignore/delete this post.

Last edited by Pumpkineater; 01-24-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Megadog
The Demagogue

Why not, not cancel it, but start Mafia 11 while we are waiting for something to conspire?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Anyone second that? I'm ready to begin if everyone wants to continue on.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'll third it (if its allowed)! i want to get this over with!

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #19
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

I agree with that. Watching a game is more fun than not watching one.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Thumbs up Re: Petition to cancel a mafia game

I'll fifth it, I'm eager to move on somewhere.