Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Computer Upgrades

I currently own an old Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 laptop. It runs fairly slow, and seeing as how it'll likely be a couple years before I replace it with a new laptop, I'm considering upgrading RAM and the hard drive to increase speed until then.

I've already figured things out on the RAM end (getting a set of 2 1GB PC2-5300 RAM), I'm still unsure on the hard drive end. I've found a Hitachi Travelstar 360GB hard drive that runs at 7200rpm for $65. I currently have 80 gigs at 5400rpm. Would the hard drive upgrade cause a significant boost in speed, and would it be worth the $65?

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Computer Upgrades

I'd say it's worth it for the space alone, but you'll probably notice a speed boost if you do a lot of data transfer.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

No. RAM doesn't speed up your computer, unless you like copying large programs to the memory. Similarly, hard drives are only useful for storage, and speed upgrades don't do much unless you get a solid state drive.

You need to upgrade your video card and processor if you want a significant performance increase. Of course, since you're using a laptop, I would just recommend buying a new computer altogether!
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Upgrading the processor will do comparatively little, since the majority of the processor's time (that isn't spent waiting for you, you slowpoke.) is spent waiting for RAM reads and writes to finish.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
Upgrading the processor will do comparatively little, since the majority of the processor's time (that isn't spent waiting for you, you slowpoke.) is spent waiting for RAM reads and writes to finish.
To expand, your computer is only as fast as it's slowest part. And if that part is the motherboard, you're in for some problems with speed boosting.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurEminentDoomsayer View Post
No. RAM doesn't speed up your computer, unless you like copying large programs to the memory. Similarly, hard drives are only useful for storage, and speed upgrades don't do much unless you get a solid state drive.

You need to upgrade your video card and processor if you want a significant performance increase. Of course, since you're using a laptop, I would just recommend buying a new computer altogether!
Upgrading from 512MB of RAM to 2GB of RAM will definitely have a speed increase. The processor and video card on my laptop aren't all too bad (Pentium Dual-Core @1.6GHz and ATI Radeon graphics), but 512MB RAM definitely isn't enough to handle Vista, which at a bare minimum needs 1GB to run smoothly.

As far as getting a new laptop goes, I have already mentioned earlier that I won't be replacing it for another couple years.

I've looked at SSD's, and I'd love to get one, but they're way too expensive for me right now. Right now I'm thinking of skipping the HDD upgrade since I may not have the laptop for much longer and I don't really need the extra storage space right now.

Thanks for the help!

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote