Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Community Writing Project

NOTICE: If this doesn't warrant a thread in General Blabber, feel free to move it to TM. I would really rather have it in a place where people might take it seriously, though.

Well, I'm back, and I still love writing. I'm currently putting notes together for an independent project, but I like community writing here. So, I'm posting this here for 2 reasons. One is to gauge interest, so post if you're interested. Second is to vote on a theme. However, I don't want a simple click on a poll; I want the votes explained, because I'm not necessarily going with the majority; I'm going with what I think we can make the most of. So, without further ado, the themes are:

Zombie Survival
I'm honestly kinda sick of doing this, but if there's enough interest, I'll revive it. Elements include; hope vs. despair, intense personal conflict, mystery (finding the source of infection), and teamwork

High Fantasy
You know high fantasy. Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, etc. (albeit the last is a bit more juvenile than what I'm aiming for). Elements include: magic, vivid imagery, just but flawed heroes vs. evil but slightly sympathetic villains, numerous historical and mythological allegories

Urban Fantasy
A lesser known genre that I personally love. Involves use of magic in a modern, contemporary setting, generally as either a kind of "reawakening" of magic or an underground cult (or cults) of magic users. Elements include magic, dystopic themes, antiheroes (oftentimes one or more of the main protagonists are gang members)

"Utopic" Sci-Fi
Star Trek-esque sci fi. Basically high fantasy with science replacing magic and a futuristic theme.

"Dystopic" Sci-Fi
Sci-fi with darker elements. For example, Ender's Game, Farenheit 451, 1984, etc. Themes include social criticism, corrupt governments, internal conflict, and sometimes (although not always) space travel and warfare.

Horror
Mostly psychological horror, since most types of horror can't really be posted on Hamumu. Themes include mental disease, conspiracies, cults, serial killers, paranoia, and perception.

Alternative
Any genres I haven't posted. I will not do romance, as I loathe the genre. Also, keep in mind that these stories have to be written from many perspectives, so books that focus primarily on one or two characters aren't good ideas.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: Community Writing Project

I really like the idea of Urban Fantasy. I like fantasy in general, and i also like books like the power of 5 (anthony horowitz) and City of glass/ashes/bone (by someone...) both of which have old magic reawakened in the modern world. I also like the idea of magic used in new ways, which can happen in new environments for the magic to occer.

Also, if you have a site or something with your previous work on it, can you please link me to it?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Thumbs up Re: Community Writing Project

I think the 'Thriller' genre should replace Zombie Survival, we could wright a story with intense personal conflict, mystery, and teamwork without the zombie theme.

Regardless of the Thriller genre, I would prefer to do either Urban Fantasy, or Horror. When it comes to reading, I'm into intense mystery's with fantasy characters, I think the Thriller genre could combine these elements, which is why I'd like to do it.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Genre Fusion Go!

Sci-Fi Fantasy. Space Wizards. Cyborg Demons. Alien Druids. Most fantasy takes place on a planet, with maybe alternate planes to visit. But why not expand to space? It is the final frontier. Just don't take the magic from magic by explaining it, leave it, well, magic! Technologly can still play a part, as an alternate for the magically challenged. And of corse, the old Magic vs. Technology conflict can alway be there.

Thiller Fantasy. Spies against Scries. Anti-magic rings as standard equip, but can be forced off for inflitrating a ring of corrupt wizards. How do you take down an international criminal that's a dragon? Magical murders could be harder to trace, but over do it and the suspects fall to a smaller group of stronger casters. Unless a wand or scroll was used.

There's also the good old Lovecraftian Deconstruction. Ancient horrors terrified by humanity. I mean, in their lifetime, we've gone from trees to nukes. Is it indifference driving the slaughter, or fear? Humans can fear spidres, timeless creatures from beyond the void can fear humanity.

Just some ideas, which I think would be interesting.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
death
Banned

most community writings end of evolving from an RPG thread in TM. SWRPG is such a case. (although everyone kinda left) that's my experience anyway.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
megamanO
Ninja Mimic Crate

We could make a writing project on the Boxes RPG! Isn't that a great idea!?

What, it isn't?

Nevermind.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

In my opinion, Utopian Sci-Fi and High Fantasy have been overdone, and it may end up being more work to find original and interesting ideas for these genres. On the other hand, it is a fairly broad area and I personalty find Sci-Fi/Fantasy more interesting to write.

Urban Fantasy is probably my favorite of the themes you posted. It combines elements of Sci-Fi and Fantasy in an interesting way and hasn't been used as much compared to other genres.

Zombie Survival/Thriller can be a very interesting thing, but to me the key words are "I'm honestly kinda sick of doing this." I honestly think you should write what you want compared to what other people want. If you're getting sick of this theme, then it'll probably be harder and less interesting to write.

Overall, I think that Urban Fantasy would be the best option, since you seem to have an interest in it and it is a fairly intriguing theme.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
Also, keep in mind that these stories have to be written from many perspectives...
Is there a reason for this?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
megamanO
Ninja Mimic Crate

It makes sense for a community writing project, but then it might just be a very in depth RPG like it was said earlier.

I think the general reason for that is that it's hard to develop characters with everyone having different ideas for said characters. That could make it all the more interesting though!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

I thought he meant the perspectives of many characters, but it isn't very clear.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
megamanO
Ninja Mimic Crate

Hmm, my post isn't very clear either. Ignore it.

He might mean that everyone writing has a different perspective on the story.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
death
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
Is there a reason for this?
try having multiple people write a story for a single character. It's a catastrophy. and the characters personality will change vastly.
death is offline   Reply With Quote