Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Are the forums dying?

I know this has been brought up in the past, but not recently. Anyway, I've noticed a drop in activity throughout the entire community: mafia games are succumbing more and more to lurkers, TM games are falling into the void of lack-of-host, and there are less posts in other areas period.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

Default Re: Are the forums dying?

NU THE FOURAMS ARE ON A DIET
why arent peeps understanding this
/silly
I've seen this. it could be true. I guess it's about the veterans leaving.
. Yellow Wizard . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

One reason is because there's not that many new Hamumu games to talk about. The current flash games Jamul has been releasing aren't the kinda games you have massive discussions about. It's more like, I played it, beat it, got all the achievements, and had fun.

General Blabber seems empty too, although I think this is just because there's also not much to talk about in the outside world.

I think Total Mayhem is growing very strong with all the forums games these days, and Guess What Folks isn't dead so I think that means TM isn't either

Last edited by Pewskeepski; 04-04-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Pewskeepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I don't think it's dying, it's just incredibly stagnant. We need some people to shake things up by introducing a fun new forum game or posting a thought-provoking topic. Something like that.
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

...I was (mostly) being serious. If anyone wanted to put in the effort, they could have a computer actually determine whether the forums are dead/dying, since all the data is there.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 04-05-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Lord Loony
Not Your Average Ruler

I think it's because there's been a lack of games recently that keep people coming back for more. Sure, we might have some members, but it's mostly the same members that come here any more.

Last edited by Lord Loony; 04-05-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Lord Loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=NtuHvdWgkGs

Check out what HamChat used to be like. I'm not saying there are less people that login, it's just that people weren't getting kicked by the chat every 5 seconds so you could actually tell who was online and there was a stronger connection between members.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
TyTBone
College Boi

I've probably said something like this in the past, albeit maybe in a more complain-y tone, but I'd like to chime in again.

I do think, in general, Pewskeepski and Loony have the general idea of what the problem is. There isn't a lot of discussion to be had with Flash games; we can occasionally comment on Journal entries, but there aren't a very many contests (yes, 2008 HPG reference; I'm sorry, but that was a joyous time for me) or chances for us to become involved and stay interested with the games. They are fun, but (as I've said before) they feel more disposable. They bring in the necessary funds, but they come and go.

"Veterans" (am I one? I dunno, sort of maybe) have left for various reasons, sometimes because they're tired of waiting for activity, sometimes because they simply have found interest in other things (like the classic Coolguy), etc. I personally skim through the forums a little each day to see if there's anything interesting (like a new Journal entry), but other than that I don't participate much anymore. (Although I do hope to talk to Skymumus this Friday)

This might change if a resurrection of Kid Mystic, Loony, Bouapha, or a classic character occurs (hopefully eventually), or another strong character and scenes fill the gaps...

EDIT: Keep in mind that Jamul has said we, the people, make up the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=NtuHvdWgkGs

Check out what HamChat used to be like. I'm not saying there are less people that login, it's just that people weren't getting kicked by the chat every 5 seconds so you could actually tell who was online and there was a stronger connection between members.
Ack! This poor, neglected channel that I created.

Last edited by TyTBone; 04-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

I personally think it's all part of
Veterans Leaving
about 2 forum games a day, all reaching about 2 replies
Hamchat being at the bottom of the page and constantly dying
No new games
People seeing dead forums and not deciding to post/come back
Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

It seems like kind of a mix of regulars not being able to get on as much anymore or leaving altogether and the newer Flash games, however profitable for Jamul (and we all want to see Jamul profitable), not being able to attract new regulars.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

What SM said. Being a member since July of 2007, I can definitely say that activity has gone way down. In 2007, we got LL2, and that got some regulars I bet, and then 2008 wasn't too bad, either, with Sleepless Hollow. Lately though, I haven't been able to get excited about the new Flash games. I liked Robot Wants Kitty, but then after Daibaka Max was put on the back burner, and Robot Wants Puppy came out, something changed, on the forums, and in my heart, and I can't really pin it down, but if activity wasn't going down before then, it sure was there. Truth be told, I haven't even played Robot Wants Ice Cream. I just don't feel like there's the same feeling of urgency to play said game.

It kinda is like Jamul's comparison a while back. Here's what he said:

You are a ship builder. It takes you a year to build a ship, and when it's done, you sell it to somebody for $10,000. Nice money for one sale! On the other hand, that's a year of your life, and you only made $10,000 total. That doesn't even cover the rent on your shipbuilding dock for the year! If you continue this way, you'll lose the dock, and obviously no longer be able to make ships at all. On the plus side, Shipwright Weekly speaks quite highly of your ships, so hey, you got that going for you.

Then one day, an eccentric rich man comes to you, rutabaga in hand, and says "You make excellent ships! But I like rowboats! Now a rowboat is much smaller than a ship, so I cannot pay you the same as you get for a ship! However, being eccentric and mentally off, I think $9,000 is a fair price for a rowboat, because I somehow see that as lots less than $10,000! Will you make me rowboats? I am a rich man with many bags of money, so I sink them routinely, and will want many."

A rowboat takes you a couple of weeks to make. Should you make the $9,000 rowboats every couple of weeks, or continue making the $10,000 ships each year?

If Jamul wants to stay afloat, he unfortunately might have no chance but to make the rowboats. Though, if one of his Flash games ever makes it big, then I'd hope he goes back to making big ships.

For the time being though, I think Jamul should try to do more to get people excited about the games. Right now, its kinda like "I'm making [game], here's a few screenshots of it (maybe)". And then suddenly, the game's released. I'll probably play it once, and then, since I don't feel much of a connection to it, I'll move on. What would get me into the game would be something like a daily development blog on the journal. That'll make me feel like the game really has something to do with me. Who knows, maybe I'll even tell it to my friends, and such...
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

Basically, (the way I see it, IMO, etc etc.) is that flash games, no matter how successful, are still flash games; they're portable, disposable. instead of the hours upon hours you spend on LL2 or SWC, the average person would spend maybe half an hour (if you're lucky and they like it) on your game, and unless it has some really intense re-playability going on, won't bring him back. You don't invest any money to play a flash game, so there's no reason not to go immediately try a new one. Not to mention Hamumu can't quite compete game-library wise with, lets say, kongregate or Armor Games. (I mean, when was the last time you actually checked out the developer's website when playing a flash game). I haven't played any of the flash games in weeks/months. yet just the other day I played some SWC.

Basically, the flash games aren't bringing in enough members to balance out those who gradually dissapear; as is the nature of things.

I'd say the forums have shifted to being about Jamul himself, and less so the games. As in, people who stick around stick around because they care about what mike's been up to, about the mandatory non-game related dribble (for example the recipes :P)(If that makes ANY sense at ALL). Nobody comes on here to ask questions about D:TG or MoL or Stockboy anymore except for maybe once every two months.

Personally, I much prefer a small community of the most dedicated to a slightly larger one of on-and-off-ers. I know that as long as Jamul blogs any nonsense he wants, I'll be here to bring up old jokes and forget to send in emails for beta-tests and make Lolrus Lounge themed CP levels that get downrated.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Post Re: Are the forums dying?

I have risen from the dead!...out of boredom. I guess I'll be around a bit more for a little while.

But yes, the forums are dy...ieting. There is no denying it. I was here many, many years ago. (Um...when I was 10...I think.) The traffic has been greatly reduced from what it used to be. I don't know if it's because Jamul got lucky with a lot of customers/interest back then, or it's because the larger games can't be produced anymore due to budget. (Time and money, pretty much.) But yes, it has gotten slower. Like, 70%-80%. But something tells me Hamumu won't actually die anytime soon. So...if you're worrying about the site going away for good, I wouldn't.

But because Jamul's time and money is being grated down, he can't make projects like he used to, and personally, I think it was those projects that generated most of the site traffic. Flash games are indeed disposable, but it's the only thing Jamul can work on, at the moment. I think...he's worked himself into a little bit of a spot. He needs to make flash games to survive, but he's not going to get much attention unless he makes a 3D-ish game, which he can't make, or he won't survive. Clearly, this means he must recruit the undead to make 3D-ish games for him.

I know, I know. The past is the past, not now. Present Hamumu is the present Hamumu. Which is...very quiet. To be honest, I think maybe Hamumu should collaborate with other game creators/companies, and maybe split the profit afterwards. I know that's extremely risky, but that way, games would come out faster, and possibly more attention would be spread, increasing revenue. Of course, this is assuming that success is related to the amount of 3D-ish games Jamul makes, not the flash games he makes, and there is no actual proof yet that making MORE 3D-ish games will increase traffic and money flow. Also, a collaboration would not necessarily be the same as old Hamumu games, so the results may be different. But...maybe it would be interesting. The olden days are long gone, and flash has been used for a while with lukewarm success. Maybe a new style of game would attract attention? If Jamul gets help with it, it'll be even easier to do.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS

Last edited by Wesley; 04-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
death
Banned

hm... what was Dr. Lunatic's phone number again? I think he can hook us up with some zombie workers.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Yerfdog Re: Are the forums dying?

All it took was the chat to be usable again and everything's back to what it used to be!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #16
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

The forums themselves are still quite quiet, though. Today, the new posts list only lists 12 topics, but I remember it listing 25 or so a year ago.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Since I keep going on month-long hiatuses and only coming back to view some amusing post Mr. Mean points out to me, I'd have to say that I agree with Tytbone. Back in "the good old days", there was SWC, then LL2, then HPG. They were large projects that got the community involved due to detailed level makers, challenging puzzles that people would discuss, and contests. Then Jamul stopped making those games. I then began to lose interest in Hamumu, with only ZSRPG and Mafia keeping me around. Then both of those died and, since pretty much all the great world-makers in SWC (Hammered, SpiderPumpkin, Coolguy, etc.) had left or lost interest in SWC and I had played all the best worlds several times, there was no real reason for me to stay. Also, I don't know why this has happened, but all the interesting topics of conversation on GB have evaporated as well. I'd say, if we wanted to improve the community, I think we need some more big projects from Jamul (which could be a while, given his and the nation's financial situation) and some advertising.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
death
Banned

HPG is sort of our fault though. if we had voted "no" on the network thing, things would be alot different.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

The problem is people. People are silly. They think, oh man this is some emtpy bar, I'll leave. But maybe you stayed, and grabbed a drink, more people would follow. If the current mixes are boring you, make your own. Maybe people will enjoy it. Start up a conversation yourself. Clear up a table and make an order. Invite people back for a nice lunch.

Strained bar/cafe metaphor aside:

Be the change you want to see in the world!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

But the people who try that(referring to RPG spammers) fail because they make so many games but don't upkeep any of them, then they all die after a week or two.
Same with most thread, especially in TM.

Anyway, I don't think the forums are dying. Just slowing down until something special comes to draw the people back.(Whether it be something Jamul does or something on the forums by one of us)