Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Costume Party

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Recently in the chat we got all nostalgic about the early Minecraft days, and nostalgia about Costume Party soon followed. With almost three thousand levels and a top score of 8 million, it certainly is terribly impossible for new players to catch up with the game. In addition to that, the quality of levels has dropped well below acceptable points, and interest has generally been lost.
Here is a possible solution I came up with, which also fits perfectly with the recent MoL reset: If it is easy, Jamul could add a completely new second level, score and award database, and send a lightweight update to Costume Party clients adding a button to switch between the two databases. People could get a fresh start, and the old one would stay for historical and nostalgic reasons. It might bring new interest towards the game, and possibly even new players.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
bowserfan
 
bowserfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Posts: 783
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

If it's gonna reset my awards I worked hard on getting, such as ''complete 2100 levels'', I am not into it.
__________________
Signature reserved for
"Mr Empty Space"
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Felixrain
has transformed!
 
Felixrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.
Posts: 736
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
If it's gonna reset my awards I worked hard on getting, such as ''complete 2100 levels'', I am not into it.
This. I do not want all my efforts to go to waste.
__________________
Tropical Trouble - 100%! Hooray!!!
Quote:
If anyone does a starting akin, accomplish it about also-ran. He is the absurd adventure bold's capital appearance (usually)!
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer
 
SpaceManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,076
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
If it's gonna reset my awards I worked hard on getting, such as ''complete 2100 levels'', I am not into it.
Presumably only if you switched over to the new database. I think this would be a neat idea if it weren't hard on Jamul (I know it'd be harder than MoL. Who knows if CP still compiles? )
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
If it's gonna reset my awards I worked hard on getting, such as ''complete 2100 levels'', I am not into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
This. I do not want all my efforts to go to waste.
The idea here is that you will be able to switch between databases within the game. Your awards may or may not count in the new one, but they certainly will at least stay in the first, which will be completely usable.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss
 
Jamul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamumu HQ
Posts: 6,118
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Costume Party is nothing like the Maze... what's the benefit of this? I see tons of downsides, but I don't see any upside. You can sort the levels by rating, so bad levels aren't hurting you any. Also, people won't make better levels just because the list is empty. And I don't see any reason why people would be more inclined to make levels because it's empty either. Again, it's not like the Maze where you have to work to get places, and you're forced to go through rooms to get there. You play any level you want in Costume Party. You're more than welcome to make all the awesome levels you want right now, too!

I guess what I don't understand is... anything about this. I totally agree that interest has died, but I don't see how making it a game with no levels in it would increase interest.
__________________
Jamul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Suggestion: Second Costume Party Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Costume Party is nothing like the Maze... what's the benefit of this? I see tons of downsides, but I don't see any upside. You can sort the levels by rating, so bad levels aren't hurting you any. Also, people won't make better levels just because the list is empty. And I don't see any reason why people would be more inclined to make levels because it's empty either. Again, it's not like the Maze where you have to work to get places, and you're forced to go through rooms to get there. You play any level you want in Costume Party. You're more than welcome to make all the awesome levels you want right now, too!

I guess what I don't understand is... anything about this. I totally agree that interest has died, but I don't see how making it a game with no levels in it would increase interest.
There is almost three thousand levels. Nobody has a realistic chance of ever getting a highscore. That's basically it.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official Costume Party Party Thread Kerma Costume Party 5 12-11-2009 05:45 PM
Costume Party Halloween Party SpaceManiac Costume Party 17 11-01-2009 10:28 AM
Costume Party [Help] TyTBone Costume Party 66 12-31-2008 03:28 PM
Costume Party kacper8000 Costume Party 28 11-16-2008 04:02 PM
costume party stop its hammer time Making Dumb Games 4 11-16-2008 04:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.