Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

Default Re: My Little Pony

Yes, all the characters have base traits to clearly distinguish them, but if you think that's the whole personality, then you're missing a lot. The first two or three episodes are only focused on the obvious traits, as there isn't enough time to go deeper, but after that there's actually a lot more variety.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Anyways, I don't understand why people think the ponies have such interesting personalities, they're the most one dimensional characters I've ever seen. Here's a list:
-Fluttershy: Shy, likes animals
-Rainbow Dash: Show off, thinks she's the best
-Twilight Sparkle: Smart, either always right or learns the moral easily
-Pinky Pie: Annoying, tag along, likes parties
-Rarity (I think that's her name): Vain
Applejack is the only one whose personality isn't obvious. I guess she's stubborn and sometimes bossy. The creators obviously forgot that people have more than one to two character traits each, which makes the show extremely predictable. Applejack is the best pony because of the semi-complex character, and because so far, she is the only one with a family or any sort of job as far as I can tell. I'm somewhat confused on which animals can talk and which ones can't. The bunnies don't talk but understand spoken language, and all of the cows can talk? Can the dog talk? Are there social classes? Are the cows held as slaves? Do the other ponies have families?
All of the traits you have listed are right, but they are in no way exclusive. Fluttershy, for example, has gotten over her shyness quite a few times, and when it is needed, she can persuade others into complying (As in Episode 7: Dragonshy, where she stands up for her friends and gets rid of the dragon). That is true for all 6 of the ponies, they are in no way one-dimensional. What proves that is the fact that their personalities are realistic and can be observed in real humans (I have a friend who behaves a lot like Fluttershy).

Regarding the second part of your post, yes, there are social classes. Princess Celestia is the undisputed monarch of Equestria, and there is a royal family (This can be proven by Rarity's claim in the third episode, that if she married Celestia's nephew she would then be a princess (dunno how that would work, don't ask me)). The different types of ponies can be considered different classes too: Pegasus-type ponies control the weather and attend a separate flight school, Unicorn-type ponies can perform magic, and can be assumed to be the most powerful, and Earth-type ponies have no special powers and can be thought of as the proletariat. This is even apparent in the main six ponies: Applejack and Pinkie Pie, who are Earth ponies work in production (Applejack works in a farm, and Pinkie Pie in a bakery of some sort), Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who are Pegasus ponies don't actually have to work (Rainbow Dash is an athlete, and Fluttershy can be considered an environmental activist), and finally, the two Unicorn-type ponies of the party have the best careers of all: Twilight Sparkle has an academic life, while Rarity works in Fashion, both of which are generally related to the upper class. It is worth noting, that the monarch, Celestia, has both wings and a horn, thus being a combination of a Unicorn and a Pegasus, which is another piece of evidence regarding the fact that those two classes are linked to power.
This image I found online sums my post up pretty well:

And regarding the last part of your post, yes, some of the other ponies (Twilight, Pinkie) have had their families shown in Episode 23: The cutie mark chronicles
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #23
bowserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
And regarding the last part of your post, yes, some of the other ponies (Twilight, Pinkie) have had their families shown in Episode 23: The cutie mark chronicles
Maybe I am wrong, but I think ''The Cutie Mark Chronicles'' was episode 13.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
death
Banned

wow. this is so funny. you guys are seriously discussing it and everything. this reminds me of that francis character from Super Paper Mario.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

@HSB WhatisthisIdon'teven

Anyways, I think you guys may be overthinking it a little. It is just a television show
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
death
Banned

that's what I'm saying.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #27
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

>show designed to teach little kids morals
>ends up being some controversial subject that is really awkward to bring up
Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #28
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Guys, I would like to remind you all that this was posted in General Blabber with the intention of having a mature conversation and avoid derailing and spam. I would appreciate it if you respected that.

Back on topic now,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but I think ''The Cutie Mark Chronicles'' was episode 13.
I can assure you it was episode 23. You can look it up on google if you want, the answer should be in the first results.

I would like to amend my last post, as I can now see it was misinterpreted by some. While hegemonies are generally despicable in the real world, the system seems to work perfectly in Equestria. Even though her work is much more stressful and hard than Twilight's, Applejack seems to enjoy her life just as much as the former. Earth ponies don't seem to feel threatened by Unicorn and Pegasus ponies, and they all live together peacefully. And even though that could be out of fear, everybody seems to love and respect princess Celestia, something that would never happen in today's capitalistic world, let alone a hegemonic one. While I would enjoy a revolution leading to a communist system to occur in My Little Pony, I can understand and accept why that won't happen.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

What SM and Death said.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down Re: My Little Pony

That's just the thing. It's children's programming, so everything is perfect and will always works out just fine.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 08-06-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #31
Megadog
The Demagogue

I've just noticed, but Princess Celestia's nose is square, like the male ponies, as opposed to round/triangular, like the females. I now feel slightly suspicious of her...
Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #32
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
I don't see anything wrong with that, the clock reads 4:00
Comparin' clocks
Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
death
Banned

http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=6zHZj8Xp-Ik
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #34
death
Banned

alright. hillarious video aside...

after watching part one of the pilot, I am completely addicted. at first during the theme I was all "oh boy, I'm glad my dad is asleep now" but after the first three minutes I was completely into it!

edit: I heard about a character people are calling "derpyhooves" or something. who's that? I must know the identity of someone given a lulzy name such as that! *serious face*

Last edited by death; 08-08-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #35
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
alright. hillarious video aside...

after watching part one of the pilot, I am completely addicted. at first during the theme I was all "oh boy, I'm glad my dad is asleep now" but after the first three minutes I was completely into it!
Well, it is a very well-known fact that there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who love my little pony, and people who have not watched it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
edit: I heard about a character people are calling "derpyhooves" or something. who's that? I must know the identity of someone given a lulzy name such as that! *serious face*
Derpy is a pegasus background pony that first appeared in the first episode, with weird eyes due to some error in the development of the episode.

The show's fans realized that, and named her Derpy Hooves. She reappeared as a normal pony in episodes 2-14, as they had already been created by the time the first episode aired, but since episode 15 she has reappeared with googly eyes as a nod to the fans. It has been announced that she will return in the second session with a scripted character instead of being just a background pony.
A lot of people find her amusing, or even consider her to be their favorite pony, but if you ask me, she is overrated. A graphic glitch with an unofficial name shouldn't be taking away from the other ponies' fanbase.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #36
Megadog
The Demagogue

I prefer Doctor Whooves, but I can understand why he wouldn't appear as an actual character, or at least, not as he is portrayed in his meme. I wonder how many new memes will arise in the second season...

In other news, I wasted all our internet watching these episodes, and am now suffering from pony-loss. '~'
Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #37
death
Banned

I just stayed up all night watching episodes 6-17. IIRC, I saw derpy all cross eyed in two or three of them. also: princess celestia's what the heck face was priceless.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #38
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I'm watching the pilot right now. I'm 2 minutes into it, like it already.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #39
death
Banned

http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=5EMMZHF-bLs

yeah, this vid right here is the best thing since sliced bread. 'kay, bye.

edit: just finished watching the rest of them. thats 18-26. and its not 5:48. also: about the vid. there's an mp3 link in the description, but you'll have to go there yourself, which means I'm not responsible for whatever lies in the comments below it.

Last edited by death; 08-11-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #40
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I'm Hooked. I've watched the first 3 episodes, but my only source for watching the episodes is on our Family TV, and my brother will not shut up while I'm watching it, as he talks about how bad it is. I wish videos would buffer faster on youtube, so I could watch them on my Laptop.