Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Sakura-chan
Banned

Default Roles?

Looking around, I don't see any kind of a base role list for Mafia. Most Mafia sites have something like this, mostly for the benefit of new players. Does such a list exist? If not, I'd like to suggest one be created.
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: Roles?

here, we use whatever roles we want and even make some up as long as they are explained in the role PM. This should tell you most if not all of the roles you are likely to find in a game on here.

Last edited by Gigacat; 08-03-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Sakura-chan
Banned

It really doesn't.O_O IT tells you one role-the one you have. I think a base role list would be a good idea. Otherwise, I can imagine new players being seriously turned off. Even as a more experienced player, I prefer knowing the roles a game has. I mean, say your role is to investigate a character and learn their role. What is the point of learning Player A's role if you haven't a clue what it does?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

I see where you're coming from but, I've got some roles I made up once in a Word document somewhere and the reason I haven't released them to anyone is because that until I use them they could be used by anyone. I don't want my ideas to be open for anyone to use because then the originality and uniqueness of them kind of goes away...

I do however support the idea of a list of all the roles from that site Giga linked and what they do. Also the fact that I think the Mikeburnfire site links to Mafiascum which could be marked as un-family-friendly, I don't know.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

A list of all the basic roles as a sticky would probably be okay. However, that does add another stuck thread to the list. But helping newblings is always goodish.

Roles what to cover:

Townie
Cop
Doctor
Mason?
Roleblocker?
Vigilante?
--
Mafia Goon
Mafia Godfather
Mafia-Combo Roles?
--
Serial Killer?
Jester?
Survivor?
Cults?

Roles with a ? might go it another section on advance roles.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

This try this link
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura-chan View Post
It really doesn't.O_O IT tells you one role-the one you have. I think a base role list would be a good idea. Otherwise, I can imagine new players being seriously turned off. Even as a more experienced player, I prefer knowing the roles a game has. I mean, say your role is to investigate a character and learn their role. What is the point of learning Player A's role if you haven't a clue what it does?
Hopefully the host will inform you more about what the role is instead of just saying "they are a cop"
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

I'd advise against relying on outside sites. They could go down and any point, making them instantly useless. Also, having a compiled list of roles could help hosts decide which exotic spices roles to use it a larger game.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Sakura-chan
Banned

I'm just saying a base role list would be a good idea. Personally, I think a full role list for a game you are in adds to the experience, but a lot of other sites don't seem to agree with that. However, at the very least, there are many good things about a base role list. I just don't view a game as as much fun if you don't know the other roles in the game. Even with my Mafia experience, I'm more than a little nervous here, because there are a lot of possible differences I have no way of knowing about.

Last edited by Sakura-chan; 08-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Megadog
The Demagogue

In my opinion, the unknowning is part of the experience. If, say, they knew there was a jester, people would be much more hesitant to make a lynch, a fact I abused in Memafia. In addition, had anyone known about the role Julian had in my game that's currently running, it could have been very different from no one knowing he exists. In addition, it means people can claim a role that's not even in the game, and get away with it, which is often very entertaining. I do, however, feel a roles abilities should be at least briefly explained when their rolename is revealed (by death or inspection...)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Sakura-chan
Banned

I know some people like the unknowing, but it's not something I really care for. But regardless, I do think we need at least a base role list, because otherwise, people will be really confused. New players will have no idea what to expect, while more experienced players will not know what kind of roles this site will have.