Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Default Unschooling

Okay, A while back I said I was Homeschooled. We switched over to No school during the summer and then we did Unschooling.

There's
Public Schooling
Homeschooling
and
Unschooling.

Public School is where a group of Kids gather at one building and go to classes together with their 4 main Subjects, Lunch & Physical Education, and various extra time (breaks, recess, etc.).

Home School is where the kid(s) of a Family Do the same thing they do In public school, but at home.

Unschooling is where the kid(s) of a Family Do at least 4 hours of work at home, but the Kids are given the choice how to do that work.

My Family is doing Unschooling. We have the four main Subjects: Math, Science, History, and Language. We are each given a Computer, Books, and Supplies. We go to various websites of our choice (that have to do with the current subject, of course) or Read books of our choice (again, has to do with the subject).

I do each Subject for an Hour, Then on to the next one.
My school starts at 9:30, and ends at 3:30.
Before 9:30 and after 3:30, we get to do whatever. (Excluding chores)

I know there's one other person here that doesn't do Public School, but I forgot who. I think it was Alejandro C. They do Homeschooling, whoever they are.

So, how is everybody doing their school this Semester and are you gonna like it? Any details?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Re: Unschooling

Ew, that sounds awful...

Also, your public school definition is a little off, we did more than four subjects every year since like, year 2.

I'm obviously a public school kid, and I like it. If I were homeschooled, I think I would have even less friends than I have now, and I would probably not have found my love for computers without it.

Last but not least, our term is already halfway over, and this is the third term of the year, so in relation to semesters (IIRC start new school year nowish) were half a year ahead/behind depending on what age you start school on average. Basically, while your just starting things our practice exams are three weeks away, and our final exams are in about ten weeks. That's partially due to the RWC screwing everyone over but yeah, in three months our school year ends.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Here in NZ, we have core subjects: science, social science, english and maths, with options which you can choose, stuff like electronics, computing, music, ect. I go to a public school. I like it because there are people there. I know 4 people irl that are homeschooled and I think homeschooling is better as you have 1 "teacher" per 1 child. But i think i would always prefer public schooling.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Megadog
The Demagogue

Oh, and another thing I like about public school is it teaches you how to work with others, something that you'll probably have to do when you first get a job.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

I tried a thread like this long ago. It didn't end well. Also on a similar tone, nobody's really going to get anywhere arguing about this subject: there is no good or bad way of schooling here, just different preferences of doing so. I personally prefer home education because I am very unsociable IRL and hated my school, and I find being home educated much nicer. Of course other people like school, so nobody is going to get anywhere.

Also, I didn't know Homeschooling meant just doing what you do at school at home. That seems kind of pointless to me.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
Also, I didn't know Homeschooling meant just doing what you do at school at home. That seems kind of pointless to me.
It doesn't necessarily mean that, though some people are very serious about it and copy the teachers I guess?

I'd love to be homeschooled, as public education is basically a waste of time for me. But, the educational system is yet another thing that is terrible about Greece, and the concept of homeschooling does not even exist here. So I have to waste my time attending useless classes taught by narcissistic and incompetent fascists who have a false sense of importance and authority over me and my time. Hooray!
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
death
Banned

I thought that as well, but now that half of my dreams take place at school, I realized that it was pretty much the greatest portion of my social life. (I don't go to school now btw)

Unschooling... wow, it sounds like a slackers paradise/undoing.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I'm in Public School, haven't ever done anything else, but as with most things I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages both ways.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

I went to a private elementary/middle school (excluding one year where I was homeschooled and traveled the world), a specialized public high school, and I currently attend a private college. I've seen quite a few different approaches to education in my time.

In the abstract, I very much like the concepts of homeschooling and unschooling. The student is allowed to learn at his/her own pace without any of the annoying bureaucracy and frankly ridiculous material that come with the school system. However, both have one very major drawback; the student only gets to see one point of view. If your parents have any biases, you don't get to see what the world looks like without them.

Suppose, for example, your parents believed the Earth was flat (and yes, there are people who do). They wouldn't want to waste your time with false information, so they would direct you to study textbooks and websites that explain very clearly that the Earth is flat, and that this whole "gravity" thing is just a myth. Those types of sources look just as scientific and plausible as any other, so you couldn't immediately dismiss them. If those were the only sources you were given, you would naturally end up believing it. All because that's what your parents believed.

Any sort of bias your parents have will end up presenting itself in the sources they lead you to. And you, as a student, will end up with those same biases, without even knowing that they're there. That, in itself, is a very dangerous thing. Of course, to some extent this problem can be avoided. If you're careful enough in doing research, you can usually see a few opposing views to any idea. Make sure to try to understand the opposition before choosing a side.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
I tried a thread like this long ago. It didn't end well. Also on a similar tone, nobody's really going to get anywhere arguing about this subject: there is no good or bad way of schooling here, just different preferences of doing so.
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseLord View Post

In the abstract, I very much like the concepts of homeschooling and unschooling. The student is allowed to learn at his/her own pace without any of the annoying bureaucracy and frankly ridiculous material that come with the school system. However, both have one very major drawback; the student only gets to see one point of view. If your parents have any biases, you don't get to see what the world looks like without them.

Suppose, for example, your parents believed the Earth was flat (and yes, there are people who do). They wouldn't want to waste your time with false information, so they would direct you to study textbooks and websites that explain very clearly that the Earth is flat, and that this whole "gravity" thing is just a myth. Those types of sources look just as scientific and plausible as any other, so you couldn't immediately dismiss them. If those were the only sources you were given, you would naturally end up believing it. All because that's what your parents believed.

Any sort of bias your parents have will end up presenting itself in the sources they lead you to. And you, as a student, will end up with those same biases, without even knowing that they're there. That, in itself, is a very dangerous thing. Of course, to some extent this problem can be avoided. If you're careful enough in doing research, you can usually see a few opposing views to any idea. Make sure to try to understand the opposition before choosing a side.
And this.
Anyway few things:
in the public school definition there should probably be a delineation between the upper half of public schooling and the lower half. The upper half is a bit more individualized, You get seven or eight classes, and maybe 4 of them are core. The lower half does treat everyone pretty much the same and doesn't encourage much individual and/or critical thought.

I enjoy public school because
1. I can troll my english teachers
2. At places like my school which is quite large for a high school, you can learn about things you can't at home. I don't know how many parents are willing to spend thousands upon thousands on expensive software. (something like $5000 american)
EDIT: and a lot of the software requires an update every few years costing another few thousand.
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly

Last edited by seamonkey; 08-24-2011 at 11:01 AM.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
AlejandroC
The Dynamic Death Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post

I know there's one other person here that doesn't do Public School, but I forgot who. I think it was Alejandro C. They do Homeschooling, whoever they are.
Nope. not me bro.

and im gonna not have too much fun with school ):
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
death
Banned

your smiley is upside down.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

I've never been to a public school. I was homeschooled for most of grade school and then I went to a Catholic middle school (which was awful) and a private Catholic high school.
My high school is kind of like a public school though in that it's extremely inexpensive for a private school and they have numerous scholarships\financial aid things so that there's a lot of variety in social and economic backgrounds. Also, around 25% of the students are not Catholic (including myself) and around 5% are not Christians. However, the school does not force students to participate in any religious ceremony other than liturgy (readings from the Bible) and expel any students that discriminate based on religion. There are obviously some differences, but it's much more similar to a public school than most private schools.
I personally believe that going to a public or private school is important because it teaches social skills and, unless you're extremely artistically talented and\or smart, you will need social skills. Yes, there are issues with bullying, drugs, etc., but those issues don't go away out of school and the earlier you learn to deal with something the better you deal with it.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

I'm home schooled, and I like it that way. Granted, it does have a bunch of downsides - most of which were mentioned above - but you can get finished as early in the day as you want.

On the socializing note: If you get a friend who's home schooled, you can spend a lot of time together because you can both get done ASAP
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Actually, I have no friends that are home schooled. I knew one kid a few years back that lived in Richfield who was home schooled, but he moved away.

I have... *counts* 7 Friends.
And they're all Public Schooled.

Last edited by Jamul; 08-27-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: better to not post that public
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
your smiley is upside down.
And you must have had your brain replaced by the evil school tyrants
Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Prepare for a concept which will probably confuse many Americans. Grammer Schools. The place in between Private and Comprehensive (regular) schools. How can this be, you ask?

I could explain. So I will. You put one down as choice. Then you do a test. If you pass, you get it. Otherwise, you don't. Then you spent a good while wondering how some people got in.

Then Sixth Form arrives, and all the new people are from other Grammer Schools or the best Comprehensive school. Everyone does their four subjects and are often reminded that going to university is very important.

We still got Government money and support, until the in charge people jumped on the Academies bandwagon, trading in the support for more money.

And that's the different between Comprehensive, Grammer and Private schools in the UK. Note that Grammer Schools only exists for Secondary Education.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Markla709
Amazing Hamumuian

I go to Private School. You have to pay for it, but the education can be substantially better. Some private schools in NYC are just about as expensive as college!

However, my hands will be full this year, considering I'm taking all Honors classes, including French 3 Honors, and Latin 3 Honors, as a freshman :3

Take care.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
I personally believe that going to a public or private school is important because it teaches social skills and, unless you're extremely artistically talented and\or smart, you will need social skills. Yes, there are issues with bullying, drugs, etc., but those issues don't go away out of school and the earlier you learn to deal with something the better you deal with it.
Yeah. The social skills you learn at a public/private school are VERY important. You carry them with you for the rest of your life. I agree with the rest as well, you're just going to encounter those parts of life down the road anyway.

I just finished high school a couple of months ago. (Public) But I can't go back to re-take classes, so I'm going to an adult learning center, (Also public) to take higher levels of courses I should have taken earlier. I'm glad I went to a public school. Honestly, I was a bit of a hermit, and I had no idea how to deal with people. It kind of got me out of my shell, and I did indeed learn essential social skills.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote