Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default Those Drugs

Since GB is the ontopic place, I'm pulling this out of the 'Life Story' thread.

So Pumpkineater is like 'when they legalize the green stuff, imma smoking it'.

And boneheads is like 'you sound like a drug dealer!'

And I'm like 'you have books! Why substance abuse?'

So let's try and collect all the drug arguing into one thread.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Default Re: Those Drugs

oman oman oman

This is gonna be a pretty big fight over how PUMPKINEATER'S WRONG.

PE, Just like MD said,

I won't stop you from ruining your entire life by taking the green stuff, and you really shouldn't do it. You're like 16 years old, and no matter what age, getting high is Stupid and Idiotic.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Megadog
The Demagogue

^ For the above comment, that's my argument for legalization.

I feel, for substances that harm no one but the user, it should be up to said user, not the government of the law, whether they can use it. On a related note, because of it's adverse effects on people outside it's user, cigarettes should be banned.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Don't we already have big problems with drinking and driving?
I'm not seeing how these kinds of things only affect the user. Especially smoking things, when they get dispersed through the air for everyone to breathe.

Either way, I'm not sure this topic is really appropriate for these forums...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Is this really Hamumu appropriate?

Drugs destroy your brain which causes you to do stupid/bad stuff. It also makes you very revolting to sober people. Personnally, I think the green stuff should be banned altogether. Why use drugs when - like Hypreme said - you can find tons of other ways to have fun! And why drink alcohol when things like Pepsi and Coke taste good too?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I agree that drugs are bad for your health, but I will argue the point that it will actually improve the situation if it were made legal. Part of the problem behind it is the fact that it is illegal, therefore instead of money going to the government(like cigarettes and beer which there are huge taxes on) It gives money to the criminal organisations that ship the stuff in. You could also regulate it better than you can now, now if you get caught with it your doomed no matter what, if you legalized it you could say "just dont do this or this or this" with it and people would be happy with the compromise.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

One little problem with banning substances: America is a free country. However, nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the government can tell us that we can't use a certain substance. Even if a certain drug is deadly to you, deciding to use that drug is your own choice. There is a certain point were you can argue that drugs that affect bystanders should be illegal--cigarettes, for example, whose secondhand smoke is MORE deadly than the actual cigarette.

As far as banning alcohol goes, it's too prominent in our society to ban it completely. Look at the 18th amendment. Prohibition didn't work then, and it definitely won't work now.

Which brings me to another point--the people who want drugs bad enough WILL find a way to get them. Plenty of people use illegal drugs today despite the fact that they're illegal! When you outlaw a drug, alcohol for example, people will try to brew their own, which usually ends up being MORE dangerous for them than alcohol which has been regulated by Food and Drug administration. On top of that, people will end up drinking more since alcohol is illegal no matter how much they drink. When alcohol is legal and regulated, on the other hand, the need to brew alcoholic drinks is removed, and the Food/Drug administration is able to have some control on the danger level of the product being sold.

If ALL drugs, including alcohol, are banned in the US, then more people will end up turning to more dangerous ways to obtain these drugs. The drugs themselves would also be more dangerous without the government regulating the products. A ban on all substances would ultimately end up resulting in MORE danger to drug users. On top of that, it can also prevent us from using drugs for legitimate medical uses. Should ALL drugs be made legal? I personally don't think so. A fair number of illegal substances have no good uses, and I don't think that many people would complain if they were outlawed. However, drugs already accepted by society, i.e. alcohol, should be legal. Cigarettes are on the fence. I think they should be illegal due to secondhand smoke, but they're also too ingrained in society to make a ban that effective.

/wall of text.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Megadog
The Demagogue

I also feel I should clarify. Though I'm pro-legalization, I'm anti-use. I just think if you WANT to take it, it should be your decision.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
Drugs destroy your brain which causes you to do stupid/bad stuff.
Dr. Sagan would disagree with you.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Personally, I'm all for the legalization of marijuana. I'd never smoke it myself, but it's a relatively harmless drug that's already quite popular.

However, I agree with, say, LSD being illegal. That can really mess up people in ways that they do, in fact, become a danger to society. (LSD reroutes pathways in your brain the first time you take it, so you can easily have flashbacks to that first time later in life randomly. That could be dangerous if you were, say, driving.)
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

I'm on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down Pseudodrugs

I'm all for legalization of Marijuana, but would never use it myself. The major side affects are hunger, some hallucinations, and red eyes. It normally would not cause violence or sickness, unlike alcohol which is legal.
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

Default Re: Pseudodrugs

That's not what I've been taught. I have gone through the D.A.R.E. program, as seen here:
http://www.dare.com/home/default.asp
Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Cliffy1000
Card Dealer

Send a message via MSN to Cliffy1000

I'm pretty sure it does accelerate the growth of one type of Cancer (and also slows down the growth of a different type). Other than that, no really bad side effects. Also, I believe it was originally made illegal because some political party a few decades ago lied about the American Medical Association's (or something like that) views on it, saying it was terrible for you.
Cliffy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Justin
I don't know

Send a message via AIM to Justin Send a message via MSN to Justin

Marijuana is relatively harmless in comparison to alcohol. I would never do it but why should I tell others what they are allowed to use?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I think that the basis for banning a drug should be in its ability to harm people other than the user, either through the violence and grief that may be caused by the user's personality changes, or through the profit of criminal organizations.
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #17
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurEminentDoomsayer View Post
I think that the basis for banning a drug should be in its ability to harm people other than the user, either through the violence and grief that may be caused by the user's personality changes, or through the profit of criminal organizations.
But the profit will no longer go to criminals if it is sold legally, it will go to the stores that sell them. Further more, these organizations wouldn't be criminals if they are selling only legalized substances.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I am pro-legalization but would never take something like that myself. Over here, we have one of the highest rates of drug use IN THE WORLD. I think kiwis smoke more dope than Jamaca and Jamaca has a "green culture" so to say. The NZ government spends millions on trying to keep drugs out of the country while trying to stop the growth of it, and that money could be better spent elsewhere. There is medical evidence that says that marijuana is NOT addictive and NOT harmful. The biggest drug problem in NZ is P, aka methane phetamene, which, in the drug talks we have at school, sounds disgusting. P IS addictive, it IS harmful and it does ruin lives. Things like P should (and are) banned. On cigarettes, I am for in public paces to be banned and actual cigarettes to have a %100 tax rate (ie, $20 + another $20 tax). I have similar ideas for alcohol.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #19
Megadog
The Demagogue

I love your reference to P. That afternoon could have been spent making gunpowder and thermite like regular chemistry classes, but instead they jam us into a room and tell us, a bunch of impressionable teenagers, that this substance makes you feel good, as well as exactly what's in it, basically how to make and how much money you can make off it. I just laughed when I left. That guy was an idiot.

Anyways, I think the common opinion is Pro-Legal Anti-Use. We should start a poll.

EDIT: And done! If only it could be merged with this thread... http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23394

Last edited by Megadog; 11-10-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #20
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

All drugs should be legal. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol and it is certainly not working now either. In a free country, people should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies.
I am planning on staying away from most drugs, but there's a few I'm definitely going to use when a revolutionary government legalizes them after the fall of capitalism. Namely, marijuana and LSD recreationally, and heroin on my deathbed (From the information I've gathered online, using heroin is the best feeling in the world, but its long term effects completely neutralize that by destroying your life. When we take the long term factor away (deathbed), you are left with pure pleasure. It is obvious that the most logical thing to do is to take that opportunity right then and use it.)
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote