Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Those Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
All drugs should be legal. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol and it is certainly not working now either. In a free country, people should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies.
I am planning on staying away from most drugs, but there's a few I'm definitely going to use when a revolutionary government legalizes them after the fall of capitalism. Namely, marijuana and LSD recreationally, and heroin on my deathbed (From the information I've gathered online, using heroin is the best feeling in the world, but its long term effects completely neutralize that by destroying your life. When we take the long term factor away (deathbed), you are left with pure pleasure. It is obvious that the most logical thing to do is to take that opportunity right then and use it.)
Are you saying that you should end your life sooner just as long as you enjoy it more altogether? I never understood why people NEED a drug just to feel good about themselves.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

^Unless everyone ascends to godhood or an equally good afterlife upon death, maximizing pleasure is fairly sensible goal.

Also, you can reduce crime by legalizing drugs! If they beomce legal, everyone using and pocessing them stop being criminals. Dealers are still criminals because they need a license and probably not recording their profits so they can be taxed correctly. But now criminal crimes are just civil crimes. Hooray!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
yourter12
forever gone

All drugs should be banned, period.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12 View Post
Which is equivilant to mass murder. Many people require medical drugs to continue living at a reasonable standard. Operations would become impossible due to lack of anesthetics and anti-biotics. Thousands of people working in the medicine industary would lose thier jobs.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
^Unless everyone ascends to godhood or an equally good afterlife upon death, maximizing pleasure is fairly sensible goal.
I guess what I meant was that I think it's silly to think your happiness is resorted to taking a drug that ultimately ends your life sooner when there are plenty of other ways to be happy, you just have to work at finding them.

Quote:
Agreed, but it can't happen. So sad.

Last edited by Pewskeepski; 11-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Pewskeepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
I guess what I meant was that I think it's silly to think your happiness is resorted to taking a drug that ultimately ends your life sooner when there are plenty of other ways to be happy, you just have to work at finding them.
That makes more sense. Of course the danger changes based on both the drug and the method of use. Smoking anything is a route to lung cancer. Baking the green stuff into snacks is better.

Quote:
Agreed, but it can't happen. So sad.
Did you not read my post about medical drugs? Banning all drugs is a very bad idea.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #27
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
That makes more sense. Of course the danger changes based on both the drug and the method of use. Smoking anything is a route to lung cancer. Baking the green stuff into snacks is better.

Did you not read my post about medical drugs? Banning all drugs is a very bad idea.
Medical drugs are good because they help people. But the "green stuff" kind of drugs just give people an addiction and shorten their lives instead of keeping desperate people healthy.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #28
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Are you saying that you should end your life sooner just as long as you enjoy it more altogether? I never understood why people NEED a drug just to feel good about themselves.
A little thing called addiction. Most people, when they first try a drug, aren't intending to become regular users. However, many end up using the drug again to get the high they experience. These drugs affect the brain--the more they're used, the less powerful the high gets each time and they start to become depressed without the drug. Eventually, those addicted to the drug HAVE to use it in order to feel NORMAL.

And to those saying all drugs should be banned completely, what are you thinking? There's the whole thing with medical drugs (which hyperme already said). Not all drugs are all bad. Most drugs have legitimate medical uses--marijuana and morphine, for example. How are our doctors in the military supposed to operate on the battlefield without painkillers? Thousands and thousands of people will DIE without drugs.

This is a free country. If people want to make the decision to use drugs, that should be their choice. All these laws will do is make drugs legal. It doesn't say that we all have to use drugs. If you don't want to take drugs, you don't have to. But it's really none of your business about whether others choose to use drugs or not. And really, what's bad about legalizing drugs? Crime goes down since illegal drug users are no longer criminals, and also since crime groups would lose money from selling drugs, as they can be obtained legally. The government gains increased revenue due to taxes on drugs. What's bad about that?

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 11-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
Megadog
The Demagogue

If anything, by the sounds of things, legalizing drugs would be a good thing, for more than just moral reasons!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Quote:

Can i ask why you think this? Its a terrible idea by all counts.

I'm so glad everyone agrees with my line of thinking
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #31
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Medical drugs are good because they help people. But the "green stuff" kind of drugs just give people an addiction and shorten their lives instead of keeping desperate people healthy.
You know that we used morphine and cocaine as anesthetics before more suitable drugs were invented, don't you?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #32
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Im looking forward to a good discussion about the merits of drug laws. The Pro-legalization have stated their reasons and I will argue against the anti legalization folks if they post reasons. And 1 more thing
I forgot to add yesterday: My family is Dutch, and so I've been to the Netherlands, and also Amsterdam. I believe Amsterdam is the greatest city on earth because they are so laid back on their laws. I did not see any madly doped up people at all because most people who live in Amsterdam use it responsibly, ie, after work, a gang of mates will go to a "coffieshop" and share a "dope cigarette."
Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #33
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Everything you just said about marijuana is either false or exaggerated by orders of magnitude. Have you tried alcohol before? Are you an alcoholic now? I drink twice per month on average and I have shown absolutely no signs of addiction. Marijuana is much less addictive than alcohol, so you can do the math. Marijuana can only shorten your life if you get cancer from it, and tobacco is much easier to get cancer from.

Sonicchaos summed this up pretty well. Prohibiting substances is intrusive to people's freedom.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #34
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

And I agree with Sonic, people can be given the freedom to choose. I'm saying I don't understand why you would make that choice. In my opinion, it all depends on why you take the drugs you take that alters whether it's right or wrong.

And I wasn't talking about marijuana, PE.

Last edited by Pewskeepski; 11-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Pewskeepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
And I agree with Sonic, people can be given the freedom to choose. I'm saying I don't understand why you would make that choice. In my opinion, it all depends on why you take the drugs you take that alters whether it's right or wrong.

And I wasn't talking about marijuana, PE.
About choosing to use drugs, there can be many reasons. One of the main ones is that they give you a lot of pleasure, and some people decide that the benefits are more important than the costs. My view on the meaning of life is to maximize the possible pleasure, and the only reason I'm not planning on taking drugs like cocaine or heroin is that I believe the addiction will cause me more pain than the drugs will cause me pleasure. Marijuana on the other hand is neither addictive nor harmful, so I will certainly use it once the illegal factor goes away (I wouldn't want to risk prison, so unfortunately I'll have to wait)

You said "green stuff". What were you talking about, if not marijuana?
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #36
. Yellow Wizard .
Cliffy1000 Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
About choosing to use drugs, there can be many reasons. One of the main ones is that they give you a lot of pleasure, and some people decide that the benefits are more important than the costs. My view on the meaning of life is to maximize the possible pleasure, and the only reason I'm not planning on taking drugs like cocaine or heroin is that I believe the addiction will cause me more pain than the drugs will cause me pleasure. Marijuana on the other hand is neither addictive nor harmful, so I will certainly use it once the illegal factor goes away (I wouldn't want to risk prison, so unfortunately I'll have to wait)

You said "green stuff". What were you talking about, if not marijuana?
But if it's not what I've been taught, what should I do? I don't want to use it, I don;t want to take the risk.

I don't know why i'm hyperdefensive of what I've been taught, I guess I'm just like that sometimes.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #37
Megadog
The Demagogue

You always have to be open that what you were taught is wrong. After all, pretty much all science after Eisenstein was called into question by neutrino's breaking the speed of light. I don't know how this is going now, and whether they have draw any conclusions, but it does pose threat to the things we have been taught.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #38
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
You always have to be open that what you were taught is wrong. After all, pretty much all science after Eisenstein was called into question by neutrino's breaking the speed of light. I don't know how this is going now, and whether they have draw any conclusions, but it does pose threat to the things we have been taught.
Those superconductors, how do they work?

Not all the sience. Just relativity and related things.

And YW, no one is forcing you to take recreational drugs. You can get on fine without them.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #39
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I've never understood how the act of inhaling ANY kind of smoke could have NO negative side effects. Also I can't imagine mind altering drugs can have no negative side effects either... I'm just not buying into that, despite all the people saying it in this thread.

If marijuana becomes legal, I can see big business coming in and adding addictive substances to it, I imagine it'd be similar to tobacco. And that stuff wasn't as unhealthy before they add in all those other things. (I know, you could grow the stuff yourself, but they could MASS produce it and sell it cheap, so they'd dominate the market(especially if they make it addictive))

I could be totally wrong about these things, I'm not going to pretend I actually know about anything (or that I even bothered to Google the subject).

Also if you legalize drugs, I definately wouldn't go legalizing everything... Some things just shouldn't be allowed, period.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 11-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
If marijuana becomes legal, I can see big business coming in and adding addictive substances to it
That would presumably be false advertising and/or fraud, and thus illegal.