Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat
Moderator
 
Blackduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duck Pond
Posts: 1,455
Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Lightbulb Republican Primaires

Figured I might as well make a thread about this since the Iowa Caucus is coming up real soon and I see there's interest in the subject based off the amount of times the SOPA thread went off-topic because of it.

Personally, as I am not a Republican at all, I don't particularly support any of the candidates, including Ron Paul.

Why I don't support Ron Paul:

Ron Paul doesn't have a good record on social issues. For example, he voted against gay adoption, against gay marriage, and he's against abortion. In fact, there are even some allegations that he is a racist and homophobic.

Ron Paul, despite being a doctor, is not a fan of science. He doesn't believe in evolution, and says that climate change is not a "major problem threatening civilization". He doesn't believe in separation of church and state.

In foreign policy, Ron Paul is an isolationist. Although this does mean he'll pull out of wars, it also means he wants to end foreign aid to every single country, and wants to pull out of the UN.

As far as the economy goes, he thinks we should go back to the gold standard, he believes in extreme privatization and deregulation. He thinks the income tax should be removed, amongst other taxes, and also believes in cutting medicare, medicaid and social security.

Not only all of that, but he doesn't even believe in campaign finance reform.


Candidates that are left in the race are:

-Newt Gingrich
-Jon Huntsman
-Ron Paul
-Rick Perry
-Mitt Romney
-Rick Santorum
-Buddy Roemer (fringe)
-Stewart Greenleaf (fringe)
-Andy Martin (fringe)
-Jimmy McMillan (fringe)
-No preference (uncommitted)

Left the race are:

-Tim Pawlenty
-Herman Cain
-Michele Bachmann
-Gary Johnson (will run as Libertarian candidate instead)
-Jack Fellure (fringe, withrdrew to run for the Prohibition Party)
-Thaddeus McCotter (fringe)
-Jonathon Sharkey (fringe)


A lot of people aren't finding that there's a candidate they really like, so the results for the Iowa Caucus seem really split right now (some polls show three way ties), however my prediction for the top three are:

1st--Mitt Romney
2nd-Ron Paul
3rd-Rick Santorum

It should also be noted that Santorum is on the rise as far as polling shows, so he might end up being higher.
Ron Paul tends to have a strong base of support as far as dedication goes, so his supporters might be less likely to make a last minute switch
Mitt Romney isn't very popular amongst candidates, so I would say he's extremely likely to do worst than polling currently shows due to last minute switches (a poll at some point shows 7/10 of Mitt Romney supporters were only supporting him waiting for somebody better to vote for), so he might drop. Although if he wins Iowa, I'm pretty sure Mitt Romney is guaranteed to be the nominee for the Republicans in 2012.

I don't particularly like any of these candidates (especially not Mitt Romney who's flip flopped on literally every single issue you can think off. Rick Santorum on the other hand is the creator of a "0-0-0" tax plan, which I don't find to be a responsible way to manage the economy at all). In my opinion, there is a much better Republican candidates, but he just isn't very well knows, and it's Buddy Roemer. (see http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=NpoRE2eBQx0)
__________________
Download Hank's Toolbox to mod your Loonyland 2 or use these reference files to learn more about making your own mods!

Last edited by Blackduck; 01-05-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Republican Primaires

When considering candidates during the primaries, the main thing I look at is voting records.

Due to the nature of the party system, candidates will often change stances to appear more liberal/conservative and gain increased support from their party members. What they say isn't usually what they actually believe. Voting records tell a much better story about what they support and where they stand.

I don't have enough time to comment on each of the candidates at the moment, but here's the site I use to check voting records if anybody wants to take a look.
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Republican Primaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
Ron Paul doesn't have a good record on social issues. For example, he voted against gay adoption, against gay marriage, and he's against abortion. In fact, there are even some allegations that he is a racist and homophobic.
Give me a break. The racist allegation is nothing more than a piece of propaganda spread by the media who are scared of him. They are continuously bothering him about a newsletter he did not write 20 years ago, this is ridiculous.
Ron Paul - What Some Black People Think
Austin, Texas NAACP President: "Ron Paul Is Not A Racist"
This website has an incredible amount of evidence that Ron Paul is not a racist
Ron Paul Newsletters, Fact From Fiction
With that said, let baseless racist allegations not be heard again in this forum until a proper rebuttal is presented.
Quote:
Ron Paul, despite being a doctor, is not a fan of science. He doesn't believe in evolution, and says that climate change is not a "major problem threatening civilization". He doesn't believe in separation of church and state.
Considering his political views, I don't see how his personal beliefs regarding science matter in any way. It is not like he is going to force them through federal legislation. He can honestly believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.
Quote:
In foreign policy, Ron Paul is an isolationist. Although this does mean he'll pull out of wars, it also means he wants to end foreign aid to every single country, and wants to pull out of the UN.
How can you consider that a bad thing? The US has only caused trouble in the UN, for example by constantly vetoing Palestine's requests for recognition. I can't think of one piece of US foreign policy that is beneficial to the rest of the world. It would be better for everyone if it pulled out of international affairs.
Quote:
As far as the economy goes, he thinks we should go back to the gold standard, he believes in extreme privatization and deregulation. He thinks the income tax should be removed, amongst other taxes, and also believes in cutting medicare, medicaid and social security.
Money means nothing. Gold, on the other hand, has value, because it cannot be created out of thin air. Gold takes man hours to be extracted from the Earth, and we have limited amounts of it. Thus, it has actual value. It only makes sense to use it as a standard, instead of creating bubbles that are bound to pop.
Quote:
Not only all of that, but he doesn't even believe in campaign finance reform.
Campaign finance reform? Are you kidding me? Do you seriously believe campaign finance reform is more important than:
1)Freedom of speech (Against SOPA, Against Protect IP),
2)Not living in a fascist state (Against the NDAA and the Patriot Act)
3)Freedom to do as we wish with our bodies (Ending the war on drugs)
4)Knowing from voting records that the guy you are voting for will stick to his word instead of backstabbing you (Obama claimed he would close Guantanamo, instead he institutionalized it for Americans too)
5)Ending American imperialism (Paul's Anti-war stance)
6)Anti-bigotry (The GOP candidates can be separated into two groups: Islamophobic war-loving bigots, and Ron Paul)<-Watch this, this is good.
?

Ron Paul 2012
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Republican Primaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
It only makes sense to use it as a standard, instead of creating bubbles that are bound to pop.
Except the gold standard is just another one of those bubbles. Were the value of gold static, then it would make sense, but the value of gold is floating. So using the value of gold as a standard for money is basing a floating value on a floating value that's more or less based on the floating value being based on it.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Republican Primaires

Since I've posted my anti-Paul post for the day, I'll just say that the current campaign finance system the USA has is pretty much the entire reason we're in the SOPA mess.

Because you know, it's a massive bribery network.
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat
Moderator
 
Blackduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duck Pond
Posts: 1,455
Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: Republican Primaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Give me a break. The racist allegation is nothing more than a piece of propaganda spread by the media who are scared of him. They are continuously bothering him about a newsletter he did not write 20 years ago, this is ridiculous.
Ron Paul - What Some Black People Think
Austin, Texas NAACP President: "Ron Paul Is Not A Racist"
This website has an incredible amount of evidence that Ron Paul is not a racist
Ron Paul Newsletters, Fact From Fiction
With that said, let baseless racist allegations not be heard again in this forum until a proper rebuttal is presented.
Give me a break. The terrible defense of these accusations by saying that since some African American who's never met Ron Paul like him, he can't be racist is completely ridiculous. The idea that somehow he sent the "Ron Paul Survival Report", making huge sums of money off of it, but didn't know what was inside is equally preposterous. If he isn't racist himself, he at least doesn't mind other people being racist in his name. He also doesn't support the Civil Rights act, which was a very important step for African Americans. Although this doesn't necessarily mean he's racist it means he will probably not try to help minorities which are disproportionally hurt by the recession if President other than indirectly through the end of the drug war.

Also, I see you haven't put any defense against him being a homophobe because there has been even stronger evidence for it, including some of his former staff saying they believe he was homophobe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Considering his political views, I don't see how his personal beliefs regarding science matter in any way. It is not like he is going to force them through federal legislation. He can honestly believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.
Obviously if I was to vote for somebody's who's entire point is to represent me I wouldn't vote for somebody who doesn't even believe the world works in the same way (let alone in a political aspect). The idea that his beliefs won't transfer at least partly to legislation is also silly, because his beliefs mean he probably won't support anything that promotes separation of church and state, and he won't support anything regarding climate change. As a young person that will have to live through the giant mess that is climate change through my life, having a politician say that he won't even try to do anything about it is a big factor in my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
How can you consider that a bad thing? The US has only caused trouble in the UN, for example by constantly vetoing Palestine's requests for recognition. I can't think of one piece of US foreign policy that is beneficial to the rest of the world. It would be better for everyone if it pulled out of international affairs.
Go look up the League of Nations which was pretty much the UN before it existed. It was essentially the same thing except the US didn't participate in it, which caused huge trouble for the organization. You can't have an organization that has the purpose of uniting all nations without having the most powerful nation in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Campaign finance reform? Are you kidding me? Do you seriously believe campaign finance reform is more important than:
1)Freedom of speech (Against SOPA, Against Protect IP),
2)Not living in a fascist state (Against the NDAA and the Patriot Act)
3)Freedom to do as we wish with our bodies (Ending the war on drugs)
4)Knowing from voting records that the guy you are voting for will stick to his word instead of backstabbing you (Obama claimed he would close Guantanamo, instead he institutionalized it for Americans too)
5)Ending American imperialism (Paul's Anti-war stance)
6)Anti-bigotry (The GOP candidates can be separated into two groups: Islamophobic war-loving bigots, and Ron Paul)<-Watch this, this is good.
Yes, yes and yes. I don't think you realize how important campaign finance reform is in the US. Elections over there are literally priced in the billions and the only way for any politician to win is to get money from big companies to be able to finance their election. For example, Obama has attended ~60 fundraisers for 2011 alone. It's a completely corrupt system that has lead some of the worst things like the power of big pharma, big oil, the military industrial complex, the drug war, most thing related to copyright (from Hollywood), loose regulations, and a financial sector which can do no wrong. It's not to say campaign finance reform is the only cause of that, although it is a very big one, but also things like not being able to promise politicians jobs after they leave politics and lobbyists in the House of Commons, the Senate, etc. should probably be illegal.

What is the worst about die-hard Ron Paul supporters is that they're the exact same as die-hard Obama supporters. Somehow there's this belief that Ron Paul can do no wrong and if he does, then we're obviously misinformed and we don't understand how amazing he is. Any critic of him gets viewed as an "attack from the establishment" no matter how credible, and any flaw that he has is downplayed by people saying that somehow in reality it's justified because of X reason (usually just outright saying that point of view somehow doesn't matter), and that I should only look at what he's right on and only look at that. Frankly, in my opinion, it's just the same apologist nonsense we had to go through for Obama for the longest time.

ALSO, BREAKING NEWS

The Iowa caucus is over!

Mitt Romney wins Iowa with 25% of the votes. (with a total of 30,015)
Santorum takes second with 25% of the votes. (with a total of 30,007)
Ron Paul takes third with 21% or 22% (depending on the site) of the votes.
Newt Gingrich takes fourth with 13% of the votes.
Rick Perry takes fifth with 10% of the vote. (and is also saying these results may mean he backs out of the race).
Michele Bachman takes sixth with 5% of the votes.
Jon Huntsman comes in seventh with a number I can't even find, but I assume is somewhere around 1-2%.

The next caucus is in New Hampshire where Mitt Romney is predicted to get an easy win. Some say that this will probably build up more momentum for Mitt to go all the way, but Santorum is starting to look like he could come in if he managed to stick on and not only be the flavor of the month. Ron Paul is currently second in polls in New Hampshire and his support has been slowly crawling up in a lot of places, but it's hard to tell if he'll be able to get close enough to Mitt in the polls (in NH) to become a threat. Jon Huntsman is already in NH and he has yet to be flavor of the month (IIRC), so we might see him surge at some point later.

EDIT: DOWN GOES MICHELE BACHMANN. She dropped out of the race after not doing very well in Iowa. The race will probably eventually boil down to Mitt and Ron at some point, in my opinion, especially seeing as states like Virginia already passed their deadline for accepting candidates to vote for during the primaries and only Mitt Romney and Ron Paul managed to get enough signatures to participate.
__________________
Download Hank's Toolbox to mod your Loonyland 2 or use these reference files to learn more about making your own mods!

Last edited by Blackduck; 01-05-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Wow! 8 votes of difference. I was paying vague attention but I didn't realize it was this close. Also just saying but I agree with BD's analysis on the race winding down, and beyond that I have the inkling of a suspicion Romney will win, but that's me. (he's had more consistent support
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Wow! 8 votes of difference. I was paying vague attention but I didn't realize it was this close. Also just saying but I agree with BD's analysis on the race winding down, and beyond that I have the inkling of a suspicion Romney will win, but that's me. (he's had more consistent support
>8 votes difference
>Ron Paul 3rd
Seems legit. Yup, no fraud here, move along.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Megadog
The Demagogue
 
Megadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At home duhhh!
Posts: 2,416
Default Re: Republican Primaires

In NZ we had a dead set heat between two people of rival parties. It's not impossible.
__________________
Back to the roots: Lets put the Hamumu back into Hamumu Forums!
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat
Moderator
 
Blackduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duck Pond
Posts: 1,455
Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: Republican Primaires

The New Hampshire primary ended this weeks with the well foreseen Mitt Romney win with 39.3% of the vote, which is very large considering the size of the field. Winning 2-0 so far is probably setting him up for an easy win in the primaries, so I'd be surprised if he lost.

But what's that? John Huntsman out of nowhere taking third with 17.9% of the vote! Getting third in New Hampshire is really symbolic for somebody like John Hunstman because it shows that he has the possibility to do well as the moderate candidate. Whether that support will transfer to the other states is harder to tell, but it does look like he's gotten some gain of traction in early South Carolina (which is the next primary) polling.

Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum nearly tied for 4th with a 49 point different (23,409-23,360). I would say it's probably a slippery slop downhill for Rick and Newt from here. Although they both seem to be doing good in South Carolina, I can't imagine them making many gains.

Finally, Rick Perry was completely CRUSHED by not even getting 1% of the vote, and this comes after his disappointing Iowa finish. He says he'll continue on to South Carolina, but I have a hard time not seeing him drop out after that.

MORE BREAKING NEWS:

Stephen Colbert is polling at 5% amongst Republicans in South Carolina (above Huntsman who's at 4%), and so he decided to form an exploratory committee to see whether or not he should run for president.
__________________
Download Hank's Toolbox to mod your Loonyland 2 or use these reference files to learn more about making your own mods!

Last edited by Blackduck; 01-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
>8 votes difference
>Ron Paul 3rd
Seems legit. Yup, no fraud here, move along.
Or maybe most people see Ron Paul for what he is. A con man.
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Republican Primaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
Stephen Colbert is polling at 5% amongst Republicans in South Carolina (above Huntsman who's at 4%), and so he decided to form an exploratory committee to see whether or not he should run for president.
As interesting as it would be to see Colbert as president (remember when he was the voice actor for the president in Monsters vs. Aliens?), it probably won't happen. No actual experience as a politician will likely keep him from getting the Republican bid, and on top of that he would have to give up the Colbert Report, which he might be reluctant to do (but I could see him giving it up for president).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater
>8 votes difference
>Ron Paul 3rd
Seems legit. Yup, no fraud here, move along.
Right, because everyone in America feels the same way about Ron Paul as you do... Your candidate not winning =/= fraud.
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Republican Primaires

I wouldn't say Huntsman is out of nowhere. He dropped Iowa and focused entirely on New Hampshire
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Or maybe most people see Ron Paul for what he is. A con man.
Implying that Ron Paul is even close to as bad as Romney is is ridiculous.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect
 
CheeseLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The dead center of the universe.
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: Republican Primaires

I dislike politics, so I'll try to keep this brief. "We'd all like to vote for the best man, but he's never a candidate."

Out of curiosity, I took the test on the Vote Smart site to see which candidate I should support. It gave me a value between 40% and 60% for every candidate, with Huntsman, Johnson, and Obama tied at 58%. I really can't see myself supporting anyone with whom I disagree about half the time. I don't particularly like any system where I only want to participate to keep the crazy people out of office.

At the end of the day, though, I'm not too concerned with most of the issues. I'm much more interested in the logic behind the candidates' stances. Or, more relevantly, the fact that there doesn't seem to be any. I'd be much happier with a candidate who is prepared to think about the issues and any solutions proposed. One who can change his mind when a better argument is made for another course of action, rather than when it is most politically convenient. And one who doesn't blindly vote along party lines. Needless to say, there aren't many good choices out there.

I'd gladly support Colbert if he ran.
__________________
There is often a method to the madness, but always a madness to the method.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Anyhow, copied over from the SOPA thread since you ignored/didn't see it, my 'Paul is terrible':

Ron Paul's views on how the United States Constitution applies, or rather does not apply, to the member states of the USA are, in short, insane.

The States are a complicated country. Certain laws vary from state to state, however, the Constitution, enforce by the Federal government and Supreme Court, keep the gears oiled, so to speak. What our deluded friend Pauly boy wants to do is remove that oil.

This is not good thing. Since I'm somewhat honest, I'll pre-emptivly admit to 'cherry picking', so to speak, specific Supreme Court cases. If Pauly boy becomes President, his beliefs suggest he will increase the rights of indvidual states to the point where both the Constitution and Supreme Court mean nothing.

Important things this will mess with (Case names bolded.):

Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District, in which it was decided that creationism is not science, and is in fact, oh man, religous. Ergo, schools can't teach it, because as far as the Scientific Method goes, it's false. Lose this, and mass indoctrination just got a lot easier.

Lawrence vs. Texas, in which it is decided that states can't regulate consentual, private intimate acts. And that's as Hamumu friendly as it gets. Losing this is bad for gay rights.

Romer vs. Evans, in which Colorado is told that, no, you can't legalize discrimination towards gay people via your states constitution. Lose this, and gay people in Colorado can be fired for something they can't control, and is harmless.

Three cases in, and Paul is stomping over people for things they can't control, and are harmless. Three more should be fun!

Loving vs. Virginia, in which it is decided that black people can marry white people. More laws based on harmless uncontrolable things. Losing this starts to legalise racism...

Edwards vs. Aguillard, in which it is decided that a Louisiana law requiring creation 'science' (read: creationism) to taught in schools is an attempt to promote a certain religion, and therefore bad. Indoctrination is bad, as it erodes people's ability to make a free, informed choice, and free, imformed choices are pretty good.

And the big one. The showstopped. The one everyone remembers the picture about:

Brown vs. Board of Education, in which racial segregation in education is outlawed forever. This was a big thing for the Civil Rights people, as it sent a clear message: 'The Fourteenth Amendment is a thing that exists'. Amendment Number 14 pretty much says that you can't discriminate based on race or gender. Since both these tihngs can't be controlled and are harmless, this is pretty important.

So yes, Ron Paul will undo decades of progress in equal rights. And for what? So people can get high and coutries that wereinvaded by some of NATO won't have Americans in them anymore. Yay. Not to mention that isolationism is impossible in the modern age.
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank

Last edited by Jamul; 01-15-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: rude
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Anyhow, copied over from the SOPA thread since you ignored/didn't see it, my 'Paul is terrible':

Ron Paul's views on how the United States Constitution applies, or rather does not apply, to the member states of the USA are, in short, insane.

The States are a complicated country. Certain laws vary from state to state, however, the Constitution, enforce by the Federal government and Supreme Court, keep the gears oiled, so to speak. What our deluded friend Pauly boy wants to do is remove that oil.

This is not good thing. Since I'm somewhat honest, I'll pre-emptivly admit to 'cherry picking', so to speak, specific Supreme Court cases. If Pauly boy becomes President, his beliefs suggest he will increase the rights of indvidual states to the point where both the Constitution and Supreme Court mean nothing.

Important things this will mess with (Case names bolded.):

Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District, in which it was decided that creationism is not science, and is in fact, oh man, religous. Ergo, schools can't teach it, because as far as the Scientific Method goes, it's false. Lose this, and mass indoctrination just got a lot easier.

Lawrence vs. Texas, in which it is decided that states can't regulate consentual, private intimate acts. And that's as Hamumu friendly as it gets. Losing this is bad for gay rights.

Romer vs. Evans, in which Colorado is told that, no, you can't legalize discrimination towards gay people via your states constitution. Lose this, and gay people in Colorado can be fired for something they can't control, and is harmless.

Three cases in, and Paul is stomping over people for things they can't control, and are harmless. Three more should be fun!

Loving vs. Virginia, in which it is decided that black people can marry white people. More laws based on harmless uncontrolable things. Losing this starts to legalise racism...

Edwards vs. Aguillard, in which it is decided that a Louisiana law requiring creation 'science' (read: creationism) to taught in schools is an attempt to promote a certain religion, and therefore bad. Indoctrination is bad, as it erodes people's ability to make a free, informed choice, and free, imformed choices are pretty good.

And the big one. The showstopped. The one everyone remembers the picture about:

Brown vs. Board of Education, in which racial segregation in education is outlawed forever. This was a big thing for the Civil Rights people, as it sent a clear message: 'The Fourteenth Amendment is a thing that exists'. Amendment Number 14 pretty much says that you can't discriminate based on race or gender. Since both these tihngs can't be controlled and are harmless, this is pretty important.

So yes, Ron Paul will undo decades of progress in equal rights. And for what? So people can get high and coutries that wereinvaded by some of NATO won't have Americans in them anymore. Yay. Not to mention that isolationism is impossible in the modern age.
Everything you listed there is relatively insignificant. Why? Because life is a virtue of bigger importance than education, gay rights, and racial rights by several orders of magnitude. Even if we ignore the fact that this is a massive slippery slope, and racism is incompatible with Ron Paul, as it is one of the main issues he constantly addresses, even if we ignore that, the fact stays that the US Army has murdered 100,000 to over a million people according to different sources in this decade, and that is not going to stop. The US keeps murdering people to this day, and with Obama or any Republican other than Ron Paul this is not going to stop. Nobody is going to die if a gay couple doesn't get married, but with America's imperialism people die all the time. Are gay rights important? Sure they are. Are they near as important as issues like the war on drugs? No, because the war on drugs doesn't only lead to a bunch of black people in jail (Which is unacceptable too), but it also leads to incredible amounts of dead people in Mexico. Should kids be taught evolution at school? Yes, but what good will it do if their freedom has no value? If I lived in America and was indefinitely detained for no reason due to the NDAA, the last thing I would care about would be evolution. Actually, scratch that. It would be even better if I was indoctrinated, because belief in God would give me hope and a purpose not to give up on life. Due to SOPA, nobody would even learn of my indefinite detainment. Nobody would care. You have managed to ignore and dismiss every actual issue, and are arguing that Ron Paul is bad because he is not a homosexual atheist. By doing so you have accepted the repeated murders of innocent people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Mexico and Pakistan, the installment of martial law (NDAA), and the upcoming internet censorship.

Well, when you are in military jail for looking at a cop the wrong way, at least you will be able to find solace in the thought that kids know we evolved from a common predecessor as the monkeys and that prayer will be banned at schools as in not to corrupt their innocent minds :-)
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Everything you listed there is relatively insignificant. Why? Because life is a virtue of bigger importance than education, gay rights, and racial rights by several orders of magnitude. Even if we ignore the fact that this is a massive slippery slope, and racism is incompatible with Ron Paul, as it is one of the main issues he constantly addresses, even if we ignore that, the fact stays that the US Army has murdered 100,000 to over a million people according to different sources in this decade, and that is not going to stop. The US keeps murdering people to this day, and with Obama or any Republican other than Ron Paul this is not going to stop. Nobody is going to die if a gay couple doesn't get married, but with America's imperialism people die all the time. Are gay rights important? Sure they are. Are they near as important as issues like the war on drugs? No, because the war on drugs doesn't only lead to a bunch of black people in jail (Which is unacceptable too), but it also leads to incredible amounts of dead people in Mexico. Should kids be taught evolution at school? Yes, but what good will it do if their freedom has no value? If I lived in America and was indefinitely detained for no reason due to the NDAA, the last thing I would care about would be evolution. Actually, scratch that. It would be even better if I was indoctrinated, because belief in God would give me hope and a purpose not to give up on life. Due to SOPA, nobody would even learn of my indefinite detainment. Nobody would care. You have managed to ignore and dismiss every actual issue, and are arguing that Ron Paul is bad because he is not a homosexual atheist. By doing so you have accepted the repeated murders of innocent people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Mexico and Pakistan, the installment of martial law (NDAA), and the upcoming internet censorship.

Well, when you are in military jail for looking at a cop the wrong way, at least you will be able to find solace in the thought that kids know we evolved from a common predecessor as the monkeys and that prayer will be banned at schools as in not to corrupt their innocent minds :-)
...

I give up. Every case goes. But you don't listen. Paul condones racism. He has to. But you don't listen. You say 'slippery slope'. YOU USED A ONE YOURSELF! Education is life. But you don't listen. education is freedom. freedom from ignorance. THE IGNORANCE PEOPLE DIED TO SAVE YOU FROM! ron paul is the enemy of progress, and i don't care how many people die, this plaent IS NOT GOING BACK TO THE DARK AGES! don't you see what the fundamentalists did to the middle east? it used to be great. ron paul will sweep it all away. he's a liar. a con a fraud HE AUTHORED THE 'We the People Act' it's a window into his head don't you see he betrays the very principles the union was founded on man's freedom sure they had to fix and their fixing SOPA but you don't listen

WHY DO THEY NEVER LISTEN?

deus ex machina. that's what the world needs. not some 'doctor' who'd let homapathy throught the door.


What did I just type?
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Republican Primaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
...

I give up. Every case goes. But you don't listen. Paul condones racism. He has to. But you don't listen. You say 'slippery slope'. YOU USED A ONE YOURSELF! Education is life. But you don't listen. education is freedom. freedom from ignorance. THE IGNORANCE PEOPLE DIED TO SAVE YOU FROM! ron paul is the enemy of progress, and i don't care how many people die, this plaent IS NOT GOING BACK TO THE DARK AGES! don't you see what the fundamentalists did to the middle east? it used to be great. ron paul will sweep it all away. he's a liar. a con a fraud HE AUTHORED THE 'We the People Act' it's a window into his head don't you see he betrays the very principles the union was founded on man's freedom sure they had to fix and their fixing SOPA but you don't listen

WHY DO THEY NEVER LISTEN?

deus ex machina. that's what the world needs. not some 'doctor' who'd let homapathy throught the door.


What did I just type?
Are you crazy? How in the world does Ron Paul condone racism when he denounces the war on drugs because of its racism? Of course Ron Paul supported the We the People act, because he supports the rights of the states. Are states perfect? No. But it is a fact that the Union is a million times worse. Just as states can abuse their rights, so can the federal government. The difference here is the fact that while the states will harm their population, the federal government will harm the entire population and in many cases the rest of the world. Allowing the schools to teach creationism won't make America implode. Look, a significant partition of the American population already believes in creationism. Is it stupid? Is it destroying the world? No. Do you know what is destroying the world? Imperialism! You are arguing about education being a necessity. If not via religion, the government under Obama or a nonPaul republican will find another way to ruin education. The educational system in the US is terrible anyway. Do you know what is an incredible source of information and education? The internet. Yeah, that little thing the government would kill with SOPA if not for the incredible backlash (Wikipedia is shutting down on the 18th, SOPA and Protect IP are practically dead now). There are going to be a million more SOPAs, because the establishment will benefit from generalized stupidity. You may argue that Ron Paul will cause that by adding creationism to schools, but that is ridiculous. First of all, creationism is already taught at schools, and secondly the internet is a much more effective source of information, and Ron Paul realized that it needs to be protected, and will fight against any law that resembles SOPA.

"THEY NEVER LISTEN" because "they" know there actually are real issues in the establishment other than kids being taught that the magic guy made us and states being allowed not to recognize gay marriage.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat
Moderator
 
Blackduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duck Pond
Posts: 1,455
Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: Republican Primaires

This is what I meant by the out of nowhere. His campaign skyrocketed in the final days and almost got second place in the NH primaries as far as some polls would show, and maybe a few days extra would have gave him a good advantage over the 3rd place candidate.

MORE BREAKING NEWS


According to campaign staff, John Huntsman is dropping out of the race despite his good showing in NH, and is allegedly supporting Mitt Romney. Since both Mitt and John are seen as the moderate candidate in the race, it's assumed that most of his supporters will go towards Mitt Romney and give him a higher margin of support.

As far as South Carolina goes, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are going at it for first place, but so far Mitt Romney has a good lead and is presumed to win the state to give him a 3-0 win/loss record.
__________________
Download Hank's Toolbox to mod your Loonyland 2 or use these reference files to learn more about making your own mods!
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.