Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default MegaUpload shut down

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/mega...t-down-4694527

So, megaUpload, one of the worlds biggest file sharing sites has been shut down. It apparently cost copyright owners more than 600 million in lost revenue. Interestingly, the site had some of musics biggest names in backings. So, discuss: Should it have been taken down, Can SOPA and PIPA do this to any other uploading site it wants? Is megaupload any different from, say, mediafire? or even hamupload? Discuss!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Default Re: MegaUpload shut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/mega...t-down-4694527

So, megaUpload, one of the worlds biggest file sharing sites has been shut down. It apparently cost copyright owners more than 600 million in lost revenue. Interestingly, the site had some of musics biggest names in backings. So, discuss: Should it have been taken down, Can SOPA and PIPA do this to any other uploading site it wants? Is megaupload any different from, say, mediafire? or even hamupload? Discuss!
No, there is absolutely no excuse for this. I won't go on about freedom of speech since a lot of people here are right-wing and just don't care. So all of you capitalists, read this and see how this was an attack against you too: An incredible amount of people had legal and legitimate megaupload subscriptions going which they had already paid for and now their money has been thrown down the drain. This is just proof that America is controlled by the monopolies and there is no such thing as a "free market". For now you can do your part by boycotting the entertainment industry. Don't watch any movies published by Hollywood, legally or illegally. Same with songs. Completely ignore their existence. Every dollar that goes to them is high treason against the American people. Tell all your friends and family. Don't just mention it casually, go into details about how the entertainment industry hurts consumers and corporations that are not included in their monopoly.

Last edited by Jamul; 01-20-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: pro-piracy commentary
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Or... alternatively, this is a classic story of a bunch of people breaking the law (one of the charges was racketeering), they got arrested, and their criminal enterprise was shut down. Really simple, and not some attack on free speech. Sad if you had your own legitimate stuff stored there, but they couldn't very well leave it running when it WAS the crime being committed by these people, right?

Not everything is a cause for the people and a struggle against the government. Sometimes, people break laws and get arrested. I don't know all the details here, and there could be shady business by the government involved, but on the face of it, I'm quite happy. I'm always happy to see massive copyright infringement actually getting treated as a crime. And many pirated copies of my games have been hosted there over the years, thank you very much.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oooh, I do not know about this one.

If this is the case, then I think Wikileaks will also be shut down, as this was originally intended as a site where if something is top-secret, and someone involved in this top secret thing feels that something is wrong, then they post some information on there for us to see. If the government decides to act on MegaUpload, I believe one of their potential targets will be Wikileaks, for that I feel can be easily corrupted by pirates, and once it is shut down by the government, No one can stop any top-secret mishaps that could change the world into a distopia.

Though I might've overstated myself because there may be other sites like Wikileaks that I don't know of, I still fear for this. Photobucket, Hamupload and Tinypic are way past me in a situation like this. Think about the big picture, guys: What will the government take down next?

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I am glad MegaUpload got shut down. MegaUpload, sure, was like THE BEST Uploader and was very famous, but only because they allowed any type of file and any size of file. There was files on there that were completely Illegal, including Photoshop, and full seasons of very expensive shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, Glee, and stuff like that.

I'm completely against SOPA but I do think they should shut down any Copyright stuff. But not free speech. Just the really extreme copyright. I still think people should be able to post a picture of a celebrity and stuff like that.

Anywho, MegaUpload has a new site now

They're working on it currently, so you can't access it. But I think It'll be up sometime soon.

I'm totally fine with them putting up a new site, I just don't want anyone uploading Full Versions of stuff and Piracy over all. In fact, I think they're now going after hundreds of people who downloaded piracy from MegaUpload. That includes someone I know. (related to)

PE, It's basically just like Shutting down ThePirateBay. It's completely filled with boatloads of Expensive Programs & Full Movies, episodes, Full Games, and just too much stuff.

Anyway, my Vote is:

- No Piracy
- Yes Free Speech

Last edited by Jamul; 01-20-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: bad link
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

It real life, while saturated bombing is usually overkill, it gets the job done.

Unfortunatly, this is the internet. Before long more MegaUpload-eqse sites will pop up, and we'll be going through the whole thing again.

I also think the industry is ignoring the root problem here. As long as stuff like region locking and invasive DRM goes on, peeps are more likely to go 'shut up and stop taking my money'. Companies need to look into why people pirate, not how much in order to stick 'losses' on it. Obviously, you'll probably get load of derpy peeps just ignoring costs, but some people may have a more complex reason.

Of course, if the distribution is a bad, I'll just not get the product at all. Piracy does give corparations something. Ammunition to back up censorship. Which is pretty bad.

Also, not being stupidly pro-freedom =/= Right Wing. Stop trying to force political views onto some arbitary scale. Especially when you use it as a way to back handly insult people, thank you very much.

Last edited by hyperme; 01-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Or... alternatively, this is a classic story of a bunch of people breaking the law (one of the charges was racketeering), they got arrested, and their criminal enterprise was shut down. Really simple, and not some attack on free speech. Sad if you had your own legitimate stuff stored there, but they couldn't very well leave it running when it WAS the crime being committed by these people, right?

Not everything is a cause for the people and a struggle against the government. Sometimes, people break laws and get arrested. I don't know all the details here, and there could be shady business by the government involved, but on the face of it, I'm quite happy. I'm always happy to see massive copyright infringement actually getting treated as a crime. And many pirated copies of my games have been hosted there over the years, thank you very much.
Did you file a DMCA complaint? From what I've read MegaUpload kept removing pirated content when it was brought up to them. Still taking them down is just as unreasonable as taking down youtube because some guy decided to upload a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
I am glad MegaUpload got shut down. MegaUpload, sure, was like THE BEST Uploader and was very famous, but only because they allowed any type of file and any size of file. There was files on there that were completely Illegal, including Photoshop, and full seasons of very expensive shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, Glee, and stuff like that.

I'm completely against SOPA but I do think they should shut down any Copyright stuff. But not free speech. Just the really extreme copyright. I still think people should be able to post a picture of a celebrity and stuff like that.

Anywho, MegaUpload has a new site now

They're working on it currently, so you can't access it. But I think It'll be up sometime soon.

I'm totally fine with them putting up a new site, I just don't want anyone uploading Full Versions of stuff and Piracy over all. In fact, I think they're now going after hundreds of people who downloaded piracy from MegaUpload. That includes someone I know. (related to)

PE, It's basically just like Shutting down ThePirateBay. It's completely filled with boatloads of Expensive Programs & Full Movies, episodes, Full Games, and just too much stuff.

Anyway, my Vote is:

- No Piracy
- Yes Free Speech
The Pirate Bay is hosted in Sweden and is thus completely outside US jurisdiction.

Of course
taking them down would be perfectly okay because the US has the right to do whatever they want to the rest of the world, and its laws and culture are infallible and superior to everybody else's. Which is why the US is experiencing a socioeconomic boom and has an incredibly rich and free™ population, while the people in communist pirate terrorist Sweden starve to death in the streets. Right?
This is not about piracy by the way, this is about the US enforcing its will on the rest of the world. Fortunately right now I have the money to afford my entertainment, but a big part of this is due to the fact that I do not live in the US where me getting sick/seeking higher education could set my family 50,000$ back.

I would also like to add that the edit in my post was misleading, as the content removed was not a pro-piracy statement, but an argument not to pirate.

Last edited by Jamul; 01-20-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: bad link quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Redbone
She & her pronouns

It's a file host, of course there's going to be some people uploading/downloading pirated files, but MegaUpload never supported piracy in any way, and in fact actively took down the files.

(also do NOT visit the site Boneheads mentioned, it contains malware)
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
seamonkey
spoon eater

The thing I find interesting is Anonymous's retaliation by taking down the dept. of Justice and some big music companies' sites. (I think that apostrophe is right...)

Last edited by seamonkey; 01-20-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: beg isn't big
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCommander View Post
Though I might've overstated myself because there may be other sites like Wikileaks that I don't know of, I still fear for this. Photobucket, Hamupload and Tinypic are way past me in a situation like this. Think about the big picture, guys: What will the government take down next?
This is another reason why they did shut it down; To scare people so they might actually stop pirating software. I honestly don't think it'll work very well.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

What people seem to be missing here (especially PE) is that Megaupload TOO was based outside of the US (Hong Kong) and it says that the people involved being extradited from NZ to face 50 years of charges.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
seamonkey
spoon eater

I believe the justification is having a server or two in the US. (D.C. if I remember correctly)
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Servers in Virginia, I think. It's really a shame that New Zealanders running a business in Hong Kong can be extradited to the U.S. And it's hard not to think of this as some kind of a counter-show-of-power by the government after all the blackouts in protest of SOPA just a day before ("Pfft, SOPA? We don't need SOPA"). And I'm not sure I like the US government having this kind of power to shut down a website so immediately. But last I heard the guys running MegaUpload were actually doing something beyond just failing to dehost copyrighted content - I may have to go find a source but IIRC there was money changing hands between MegaUpload and copyright infringers.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Servers in Virginia, I think. It's really a shame that New Zealanders running a business in Hong Kong can be extradited to the U.S. And it's hard not to think of this as some kind of a counter-show-of-power by the government after all the blackouts in protest of SOPA just a day before ("Pfft, SOPA? We don't need SOPA"). And I'm not sure I like the US government having this kind of power to shut down a website so immediately. But last I heard the guys running MegaUpload were actually doing something beyond just failing to dehost copyrighted content - I may have to go find a source but IIRC there was money changing hands between MegaUpload and copyright infringers.
I heard that too, I also heard MegaUpload was doing everything they could to take down reported pirated uploads. Unfortunately the posts that asserted those things had absolutely no citations in them, so I have no idea what was happening on the inside. And frankly, I don't care, because this was a blatant clear retaliation from the US government against the blackouts, and in that retaliation they attacked a foreign website, abused their influence by making New Zealand send the CEOs to the US to face an unfair trial (This is me being disappointed, New Zealand. Why?), and in the process destroying an incredible amount of information users had paid to backup. This needs a retaliation from the people to show them that it is not okay to step over us. Boycott every movie and song that comes out.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
This needs a retaliation from the people to show them that it is not okay to step over us. Boycott every movie and song that comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Also, not being stupidly pro-freedom =/= Right Wing. Stop trying to force political views onto some arbitary scale. Especially when you use it as a way to back handly insult people, thank you very much.
Um... That might be a bit too much, PE. Just saying.

Sure we shouldn't let this go ignored, but we don't have to go completely black status just because of it!

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #16
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCommander View Post
Um... That might be a bit too much, PE. Just saying.

Sure we shouldn't let this go ignored, but we don't have to go completely black status just because of it!
No, it is not. I did not say you should go "completely black status", I said you should not pay the entertainment industry. How hard is it not to watch the new Batman movie and the other one or two you were planning on seeing this year? I think the internet is more important than Batman. Don't give them a penny. This attitude of yours is exactly what keeps them going.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down Re: MegaUpload shut down

HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Megadog
The Demagogue

Exception to the above. Buying from Jamul. He is in no way corporate scum.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Exception to the above. Buying from Jamul. He is in no way corporate scum.
Actually, anyone without a publisher is pretty safe to give money to. Not sure about buying indie titles off Steam however. Valve doesn't seem to be the kind of company to try political shenanigains.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
No, there is absolutely no excuse for this. I won't go on about freedom of speech since a lot of people here are right-wing and just don't care. So all of you capitalists, read this and see how this was an attack against you too
Something about somebody who's pro-Ron Paul (who's extremely right wing, and extremely pro-capitalism). Don't exclude yourself from this group and speak down to other members of this board based off simple political affiliation, especially if those are your beliefs own beliefs too. I would also ask you not to confuse economic ideology with the freedom of a population, as they are very seldom related.

As for Megaupload, I kind of understand why they did this as I don't recall ever once seeing somebody link to that site in the context of a non-illegal download. If they had a model to stop piracy, it obviously didn't work at all. I understand also that with a site that popular, it's probably very hard to sort through what is legal and illegal, but sites like Youtube have done an incredible job at innovating and finding ways to stop people from using its service for illegal material, and I don't see why Megaupload wouldn't have the money to do the same.