Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
Hammered
Nailed It!

Default Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

Yes - by all means - why would we want the builder to be able to say "Happy 2013!" at the beginning of a holiday themed level being played on January 1, 2013, and say "Happy 2014!" if this same player decides to replay it on the first of the next year. To say "Happy 2013!" every year is a much better idea!

I can remember a player who thought that one of the monsters was especially scary. He asked the entire community to stop using that monster when building worlds. Of course, I don't think anyone refrained from using that particular monster just to satisfy that player, but is it really a good idea to eliminate a feature that someone else asked for without thinking about whether they might have asked for it for a reason?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
I can remember a player who thought that one of the monsters was especially scary. He asked the entire community to stop using that monster when building worlds. Of course, I don't think anyone refrained from using that particular monster just to satisfy that player, but is it really a good idea to eliminate a feature that someone else asked for without thinking about whether they might have asked for it for a reason?
Ah, the Super Duper Zombie, I believe it was. But common, he has the coolest sound effects
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Perhaps, in order to avoid cruel jokes, remove year?
It would be pretty easy to enforce a rule to prevent abuse, so that's not necessary.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Yes - by all means - why would we want the builder to be able to say "Happy 2013!" at the beginning of a holiday themed level being played on January 1, 2013, and say "Happy 2014!" if this same player decides to replay it on the first of the next year. To say "Happy 2013!" every year is a much better idea!

No offense, but if that was aimed at me (and I suspect it was) I find that rather insulting. I HAVE thought about it, in fact, if I didn't, I wouldn't have asked. Does Jamul check every special in each level to make sure they are passable? Most likely not, which means someone could stick a "Check year is this year" in it that makes, say, a keychain impossible after that year. Jamul would never notice it. All the other numbers recur, so there is no need to worry about them, but years only happen once, and could therefor be abused. Perhaps YOU should have thought about whether or not I had a reason to ask this.

Furthermore, it's different from that case in the fact that this is NOT implemented yet. The Super Duper Zombie was already in the game when youter asked, and so people who make levels had already used the SDZ and saw no point in stopping.

Also, I'm sorry if this comes off harsher than it's supposed to, I haven't gotten much sleep for the past week due to a large scale production here...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
It would be pretty easy to enforce a rule to prevent abuse, so that's not necessary.
Not without looking through all of the specials in all of the levels.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Shift+I is a thing.
Speaking of, a world_scan wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #27
Hammered
Nailed It!

It would be trivial to do a <shift>I and then scan it for occurences of DY. Any competent tester would do it.

Speaking of <shift>I, I believe I shall make one or two of those insanely overgrown new specials and see if it is handled in all of its glory - that would have been an easy thing to miss!

@Megadog: I deliberately rewrote that 3 times, because I was annoyed that someone wanted to take away some of the functionality of something that I'd wanted for years, and I was trying to be nice. Sorry if it still came off insulting. If you had seen the first version, you'd know I was trying not to be insulting in this version!

Last edited by Hammered; 06-02-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Megadog
The Demagogue

Oh, sorry. Also, is Shift+L, like, a special search function or something?

Also, AFAIK, testing involves playing through the game to find things wrong, not going through what makes it work to find things. As such, I wouldn't expect Jamul to use this 'Shift-L'. If i'm wrong, then by all means implement year as well, but if I'm not, keep what I've said in mind.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
Hammered
Nailed It!

It's not an L - it's an I as in information. It makes a txt file with a readout of the major information about the level, including all of the specials. Using ones favorite text editor would easily allow one to search for the DYs, which would allow a quick inspection for any misdeeds on the part of the builder.

Last edited by Hammered; 06-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Megadog
The Demagogue

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #31
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
I can no longer get on SWC8.0 because it won't pass the Hamumu screen. After around 10 minutes or so, it will tell me lunatic.exe has stopped working.
Poke me on the HamChat at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman View Post
Another issue I'm having (still Windows 7, windowed mode) is that pressing ESC doesn't open the pause menu, but the window losing focus does open it.
Losing focus is intended to open the pause menu, but it is odd that pressing ESC does not. Poke me on the HamChat at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
I've found a new bug.

Even though the music stopping bug no longer exists, I still have problems with some songs. For example, near the middle of "Forest Boss", it just suddenly starts from the beginning. This has happened thrice, in the same level. It's "Yerfdog of the Baskervilles" from Halloween Horror 7 - PE, if that helps any.
I played through this level a couple of times and didn't notice any issues. Any specific parts of the level it seems to occur in, does it always happen at the same point in the song, does it happen a lot of the time or just occasionally?

Quote:
It would be trivial to do a <shift>I and then scan it for occurences of DY. Any competent tester would do it.

Speaking of <shift>I, I believe I shall make one or two of those insanely overgrown new specials and see if it is handled in all of its glory - that would have been an easy thing to miss!
Thanks for the reminder, I went and updated Shift-I to ensure it properly outputs info on the additions to the new special. I also made a few slight tweaks to the graphics stuff which might fix your weird color issue.

Handed over Supreme 8.0b to Jamul, I shall post a full changelog (several requested things added) when it's up!
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
bowserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
I played through this level a couple of times and didn't notice any issues. Any specific parts of the level it seems to occur in, does it always happen at the same point in the song, does it happen a lot of the time or just occasionally?
The resetting in the song always happens around the same point, and it's not rare.

I noticed it on some other levels/songs too... I'm not sure whether there's a trigger to it, or my computer is just acting up.

Oh, and by the way. I installed Monthly Merge 5, and the custom songs (merge5102_05.ogg) don't seem to play at all.

Last edited by bowserfan; 06-07-2012 at 08:11 AM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Version 8.0b is up as advertised, available on your My Downloads page. The changelist is thusly:

* Added date and clock special variables (operates on local time):
DM - Current month (January is 0)
DD - Current day
DY - Current year
DW - Current weekday (Sunday is 0)
CH - Current hour
CM - Current minute
CS - Current second
* Added Summon Bullet effect with selectable type, location, and mathable facing.
* Updated level and world scans to account for new special effets.
* Cleaned up some graphics code in an attempt to reduce places issues might arise.

ThanksManiac!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

Oh man time to use summon bullet and the time variables to make a clock
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
DJ Fondoo
Man with the Master Plan

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned these but the Monster Sprite does't work, in fact when I test it, my computer tells me that "lunatic.exe" has stopped working and it exits me from the game. The same thing happened on a more simpler special when I asked it to eliminate all same of a certain item after all of one particular type of monster had been defeated. It was kinda bad for me because I was working on a level for my world and hadn't gotten to save yet...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
Redbone
She & her pronouns

(related to above post) The Monster Sprite special crashes when trying to open a file that isn't a proper jsp.

Odd thing: When selecting a coordinate in a Trigger or Effect when the slots aren't scrolled to the top, the coordinate won't update until you scroll or re-enter the special. Also sometimes shows the slot below the fifth on-screen, overlapping the scroll buttons.

With Summon Bullet, it would be nice to be able to set the projectile to shoot towards a coordinate or monster, along with the ability to summon from a monster.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #37
bowserfan

Post Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

With the summon bullet function, I have created the ultimate SWC monster:

The Fate Turret. It summons 60 missiles per second. Minimum. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Oh, also. Change Bullet function would be nice, it would give you the choice to make a bunch of monster playable (hammer, maximum pants + "change hammer at anywhere to red bullet" special = crazybone.)

Last edited by bowserfan; 06-08-2012 at 10:07 AM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan View Post
Oh, also. Change Bullet function would be nice, it would give you the choice to make a bunch of monster playable (hammer, maximum pants + "change hammer at anywhere to red bullet" special = crazybone.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
With Summon Bullet, it would be nice to be able to set the projectile to shoot towards a coordinate or monster, along with the ability to summon from a monster.
I support those suggestions.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

An thought:

Currently, you can't detect Orbiters. But since SM is fixing stuff and adding stuff, I guess Orbiter detection could be a thing.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
DJ Fondoo
Man with the Master Plan

Thats awesome.

Last edited by DJ Fondoo; 06-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.
DJ Fondoo is offline   Reply With Quote