Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Default Tulpa: The Psychological Phenomenon

What is a tulpa?
The dictionary definition is "a being or object that is created in the imagination by visualization techniques such as in Tibetan mysticism".
Practically, a tulpa is, in essence, an imaginary friend that you create for yourself. They can interact with all five bodily senses (in addition to a couple more that I am not going to bother explaining here). This means you can see, hear, touch, smell, and (ew) taste them. Although a tulpa is based entirely in your mind, it is set in the subconscious to allow them to exist and operate without your attention and focus.
A tulpa is fully sentient, self-aware, and has its own personality, thought process, and likes/dislikes. They have unique appearances, voices, scents, and personalities, which they can change at any time.

Now, you may be thinking; "Isn't this like schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder (MPD)?"
No. This is nothing of the sort. Schizo is a psychotic disorder which distorts the senses and may give you false stimuli. A tulpa interacts with the world as it should, unless you specifically tell them to ignore a certain law of physics (such as gravity). You cannot contract MPD from a tulpa, as they are a completely separate entity. You will never be taken over by your tulpa, and cannot, except for a long and complicated process known as "switching" or on smaller scales "possession". This process is voluntary and takes several weeks, if not months, of work.

Another common misconception is that having a tulpa will destroy your social life, and you will only interact with your tulpa. This is not true. I am leading a perfectly healthy life, and most others I have talked to have stated the same. Your tulpa does not require your full attention past the creation stage, you merely have to speak or interact with them once a day or so to keep them "alive".

Why create a tulpa?
Tulpae can interact with your subconscious mind. That's a big first. Your entire memory pool at their hands. They can help you retrieve childhood memories, bang out a math problem, or sort through difficulty in a relationship. They also act as a life-long companion for you. You and they will, with almost 100% certainty, change throughout your life, but they will always be by your side. It is possible to kill your tulpa if they become a destructive force or negative influence, but keep in mind that they are, by common definition, a person and should be treated as such.

So how do you create a tulpa?
First of all, you should know this: This is no easy process. It will take multiple hundreds of hours; you are creating a sentient, sapient being. It requires time, dedication, passion, and love (of any spectrum: platonic, romantic, or otherwise).
I currently am in the process of tulpa creation, and I have spent a little over a month. My tulpa is able to talk to me, and I am able to see, smell and feel her.

Writing down the creation process here would take far too long. If you would like to know more, if you have questions, or would like to get started, please PM me. I'll try to check my inbox every day or so.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Default Re: Tulpa: The Psychological Phenomenon

Bumping, because I enjoy spreading my interests.

Three months since creation began. Nothing bad has happened. Dunno why everybody thinks something terrible is gonna befall them if they try it.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Just wait. It'll materialize out of your mind and start causing chaos in the world.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

We were planning that for December 21, 2012, but she slept through the whole day.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down Just stop. You're going to hurt yourself.

This is worse than when people take lucid dreaming way to far. I can't even

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-01-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Your subconscious is subconscious for a reason.
Pretty much all I have left to say on the subject.

I did find a few forums where people discuss it. Awful lot of bronies out there making mind ponies.
Have fun with that.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 01-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Your subconscious is subconscious for a reason.
Pretty much all I have left to say on the subject.
Yes, this topic does worry me a bit, but obviously it's his decision.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

I'm not going to agree that this is a good idea. Not for the reasons above - I think it would be great to be able to connect with your subconscious. However, to me, introducing what's for all intents and purposes a hallucination to your daily life seems like it would make you a bit mentally unstable. Not necessarily in a way that presents itself openly or as a mental disorder (as you're aware it's not real and it shouldn't (theoretically) impede on your regular functions), but in a way that would open you up to future mental disorders significantly.

I'm also not going to agree that it's a bad idea. Like I said above, I think it would be great to be able to connect with your subconscious. Furthermore, nothing I've seen (granted, I didn't do much searching) implies that it would actually be as bad as I get the feeling it would. And logically, it's just rewiring the brain in a mostly controlled manner that can be reversed, so it shouldn't be harmful.

I'll refrain from doing it myself, but don't just dismiss the idea right off because it doesn't sit right immediately. If you want to dismiss it, go find me a study that proves it has negative effects.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I agree that the original concept may sound strange but I think Tuplas have the potential to become incredibly beneficial if the proper precautions are taken. It takes time and effort, but for someone who is willing to go through that it seems as though it can be a positive experience. Cyberclone's experience of having a Tupla seems thus far to have had nothing but a positive influence upon him.

In response to Blue Dwarf talking to your subconscious has numerous advantages, it allows you to connect with buried memories, analyze your basic reactions to things, and even just allow you to talk to yourself about an issue.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I hold no proof of harm, you have no proof of no harm.

Don't preach to me about the benefits of something no one fully understands.
In any case, I am sure there are better ways to pick up on useful info from your subconscious than manifesting a 'sentient' hallucination in your mind.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
I hold no proof of harm, you have no proof of no harm.
Exactly. Except I'm taking an "Innocent until proven guilty" approach, and you're taking the "Guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Quote:
In any case, I am sure there are better ways to pick up on useful info from your subconscious than manifesting a 'sentient' hallucination in your mind.
I actually doubt this. There's no better way to understand your thoughts than to have them expressed in some way other than thoughts - and your subconscious doesn't even really do that. It's just sort of there. Giving it a "tangible" form will actually let it be expressed to you rather than sit there doing nothing important. And from what I've read about this, you're not flooded with information, either - just what you want, really. And as soon as you don't want any more, you can basically just ignore it and it'll go away.

Of course, not having tried it myself, I can't vouch for any of this, and I'm not going to be 100% confident in the internet ever, and even less so when the internet appears to be one-sided on an issue.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Never trust the internet.
Not even pictures of cats.

@HappyStikBeaver:
Rationale? I haven't hurt myself yet, nor have any of my fellow creators. In fact, TexasJoshua was correct. I feel I have changed for the better. She sets excellent moral standards, among other things.

@BlueDwarf:
Tulpa creation, in the modern sense, was popularized by 4chan's /x/ board. It was picked up by the lonely souls of /mlp/, and, well, the rest is history.

Another point of interest: According to themselves, somebody once had Dissociative Identity Disorder, and ended up creating a tulpa of the secondary personality rather than having them take over at irregular intervals.

Last edited by cyberclone42; 01-02-2013 at 02:17 AM.
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote