Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Loonyland

Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Default wheee, doing a Let's Play thingy!

posted the first section.
hope it doesn't make your eyes explode from terribleness! ^_____^

edit: hahaha, didn't know links were blanked out. whoooops. oh well, do a youtube search and loonyland 2 and you might find it or better ones
edit edit: thanks wedxzas!
Part 1: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=Aakuot1WW0s
Part 2: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=NfbpVyIv-PU
Part 3: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=afR9xgOHAfc
Part 4: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=ijnprwf9JJw

Last edited by Frogdude; 04-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Frogdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
wedxzas
Dumb Person

Default Re: wheee, doing a Let's Play thingy!

Links work, but YouTube links aren't allowed. (Comments not Hamumu-appropriate.)
Try http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/.
It lets you link to a video without going straight to YouTube.

&&&
wedxzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Thanks! For all y'all worried, I assure you I will keep it totes clean and will not approve any comments that aren't totes clean as well. Happy gaming, nerds! ^_____^
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Great video, keep it coming!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Frogdude
Dumb Person

http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=NfbpVyIv-PU
Part 2 is up! In this one we build a clock buddy who then gets murdered by puppets. And so do we three times. But at least we got some sweet loot.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I love these! Now I feel like I should play LL2... although I'd want to play with Expert on so I can actually pick the build I want. Stupid game design.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

well you can still edit the game I assume you have the code
Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Yea, this is great. These lets plays are cool, keep them coming!
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Frogdude
Dumb Person

If I do a second one (which I might) I'd definitely have Expert on... it makes me sad that so many really fun things like Plague show up so late in the game!
My favorite thing to do with Expert is go for 10 points in Training and Luck immediately... hehehe. (I did that to help me out in my speed run; even with 10 points in Training I only got to level 35 in the end).

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of LL2 lately. I started a playthrough in mid-March that I already racked up 90 hours on... got all the Madcap crystals, even. (And, since it was Skillbor, I was able to put 10 points into every skill!) Kept track of a few little bugs along the way, made a couple documents detailing the locations of all the presents and chests and what each item does for the clockbot... I may have to write a walkthrough XD

Next episode goes up tomorrow... I'm planning on one a day
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Redbone
She & her pronouns

I like the casual yet informative commentary style to these. Audio and video quality could use some polish, but it's not too much of a problem.

Last edited by Redbone; 04-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Neat! Subbed and liked both videos, i really like them.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Yeah, I think I FINALLY figured out a good codec to use, hehe. The first video, I apologize for the video quality, I was n00b. :P Second I used a different one; third I'll be using a NEW different one but it's the one Youtube recommends so that should really help.
Audio quality I can't do a lot about because I can't figure out how to get the program to record from mic and speakers simultaneously soooo... I'm actually just unplugging my headphones and having sound come out from my laptop built-in speakers and get picked up by the laptop's built-in microphone... if someone knows a better way please tell me XD
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
seamonkey
spoon eater

What program are you using?

Yeah this makes me feel nostalgic. LL2 was always one of my favorite games hamumu has come out with. In fact I went and downloaded it, because I would like to play it (after all the warning I feel a bit guilty. I probably do have my old CD laying around somewhere)

Should be good. I've always wanted to do a LP of some hamumu game, but never did, because I would want to do it as my first time playing.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I'm using CamStudio to record. I also downloaded and installed video/audio codecs to reduce size but preserve quality. (I got the video codec YouTube uses.)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I really really liked the video quality of Episode 1, but no offense, not so much Episode 2, in fact episode 2 was zoomed in some.

Anyway, I'd like to see this new codec in Episode 3 I guess. If it's worse then Episode 1, then I'd say use Episode 1 codec.

(by the way I'm assuming all here that codec = sreen-recording program)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Frogdude
Dumb Person

"Codec" refers to how the video is stored. It's a program that sort of translates the file to a different "language;" in this language, the video takes less time to describe.

The Episode 2 being "zoomed in" I noticed as well, but that was actually a YouTube bug sort of thing. It happens sometimes on (a) new videos which are (b) not viewed at the original quality. It can be fixed by clicking on the gear in the lower right of the player and selecting "480p" which is the resolution the video was filmed at. Unfortunately, it defaults to "360p" and I don't think there's a way to change that.

However! As of right now, this is no longer a problem; I just loaded the video in 360p and it did NOT chop off the left and right ends like it used to. If a video has juts been uploaded to YouTube, it can occasionally have problems like this while the YouTube computers figure out what they're doing with the new video.

The reason I didn't like the Episode 1 video was that it lost a lot of image quality - if you pause the video, fullscreen, and look at largish text (like the "Mobility" description at 3:42 and the "Quest Received" thing immediately afterwards) you can see it's a bit "fuzzy" around because with that codec, it actually drops some of the information in the translation process to save disc space.

With the codec I'll be using in Episode 3, which I'll be recording immediately afterwards, I'll be using the codec YouTube uses - YouTube had to translate both Episode 1 and Episode 2 into its OWN language when I uploaded, which can only make things worse. It's going to end up in YouTube language anyway, so I'll record with that to make fewer translation steps.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

To give you some tips I've found out about over the past couple months since I started doing LPs:

720p is sort of the standard for Youtube LPs. Since I'm pretty sure LL2 doesn't go that high in resolution 720p isn't needed for these videos, but if you do play any games that do support HD resolution in the future, keep that in mind.

The balance between game and mic audio is off. I'd definitely recommend turning down the game sound a bit, since at times it seems like the game sound is kind of fighting with your commentary for prevalence. The game sound also seems to be a bit... distorted to me for some reason, almost as if there's a mic recording the game sound from the speakers. It could just be me, though.

Mic quality is decent. Which mic are you using? I've been using a Blue Snowball for commentary which is sort of the "standard" for LP channels and isn't too expensive.

CamStudio is decent as far as screen recorders go, but there's many options that are much better. If you're looking for something free Hypercam is decent (much improved from all those "Unregistered Hypercam 2" Runescape videos on Youtube). You could also use Open Broadcaster Software to screencap video, even thought it's designed for livestreaming it can also support direct file capture.

If you're really serious about doing LPs and such though you'll probably need to put some money into hardware/software at some point, I use Bandicam for screen recording which is ~$30 I believe and works pretty well, Fraps also seems to be popular although its slightly more expensive and EATS hard drive space for breakfast. As far as mics go, the Snowball I mentioned earlier is sort of the "standard" for LPs but really any desktop mic (no headsets) is decent enough to start out with. Having a good editing program also helps things out immensely, I use Sony Vegas for editing which works fantastically and isn't too expensive (the cheapest versions are about $35-40).

All and all though, it's decent and you've got some potential as a commentator.

I've been wanting to do an LP of some Hamumu games at some point on my channel for a while, unfortunately I've already got too many series going with an Oblivion, Metroid Prime, and SonicCraft LP all running already. There's also the issue that I tend to swear too much playing video games. Maybe at some point I could start doing "Let's Build" videos for Supreme since I've got more worlds-in-progress than I know what to do with.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Record game audio and commentary separate from each other, that way you can also adjust audio levels to get a good balance in volume. Have the screen recorder record Stereo Mix (the computer audio) and record your commentary in another program, Audacity perhaps.

You can easily match up the commentary with the footage later on if you say something and do a distinct in-game action synchronously, before starting the episode. Something like saying "jump" and pressing jump in-game. Then cut the part out when you're sure they're synced correctly before rendering and uploading, unless you really want to keep it in (you shouldn't!).
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Put up a third video. Had some troubles with video codecs so it's late, so it's extra long!
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=afR9xgOHAfc
In which we defeat a boss! Also we get some good skills and talents. Also some sweet loot! Also death. Lots of death.

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I think I'll try the recording sound and video separately thing for sure. (sonic, I actually was putting game sound through the speakers and from there into the microphone... couldn't figure out how to get CamStudio to record from both mic and speakers together, heh.) I think in this one my voice was a little louder than necessary... well, time to take a crash course in basic video editing!

(As for the mic, I'm actually using my HP laptop's built-in mic. Works pretty well.)
Edit: Haha, whoops, accidentally had the video set to Private. If you tried it and it didn't work, it should work now. Sorry!

Last edited by Frogdude; 04-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Frogdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Thumbs up Re: wheee, doing a Let's Play thingy!

Very cool series so far, it's been far too long since I've played through the starting areas of LL2. I made some changes to ytembed since I realized it looked pretty awful at that tiny resolution, so it should be easier to watch now.

With audio, one option to try is (assuming Windows 7, though it might be doable on other versions) is setting your microphone to loop and recording Stereo Mix (you'd want headphones or something though to avoid echo). The "Listen to this device" option is in Sound -> Recording -> Device Name -> Listen.

And if you don't mind me asking, what've you been doing for codecs?
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote