Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017
Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #1
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default Minetest

http://minetest.net/

I find this cool game, it's written in C, which means we don't have to worry about the Java virus running through our systems, it's open-source, it's completely free of charge, it's easy to run mods, and many other awesome things.

I think MineTest may be the best alternative to Minecraft.

The only problem is, it doesn't have all those cool new features which Minecraft has by default. But if we believe the Linux Magazine's that it is still under serious development, then I guess an Update should be coming soon in a week or a month.

So anyway, Minetest is a really nice game for people who don't want to pay a cent, there is a whole forum of mod threads, and much more.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default Re: Minetest

Oh no not the Java Virus!

Actually I don't think I've ever heard of a virus coded in Java. It probably wouldn't be that effective, even with the cross-platform element, since Java is fairly easy to decompile.

Unless you're saying Java itself is a virus, which is just kind of silly.

Anyhow, as the for the game, eh. It's Minecraft with less features. I mean it's free, but I already have Minecraft.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I think what he meant to say was "vulnerabilities" in programs which use Java and connect to the internet.

Anyway, I just wanted to see whether there is anyone playing Minetest over here. Just recently I have discovered a very good server on Minetest called Xanadu, with good moderators, and good land to settle on. My sister and I have been there for a while now and so far we can say that while Minetest is lacking in features and a bit slow at times, it certainly seems like the best free alternative out there.

But anyway, back to my main point, I'm wondering whether anyone would like to play with us on our island share of land?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!

A few daily pictures from my sister's and my favourite server in Minetest.

Underground Tunnel For Fast Travelling...

Community Made Buildings Off The Beaten Track...

Our Extremely Fortified Island...

Our House In The Extremely Fortified Island, Less Features But More Aesthetic Quality...
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
FlatOutLie
Cake

I dont get it I downloaded the game but it came in a zip file, How do I play it?

And also Reactor I would love to be able to get on the server!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOutLie View Post
I dont get it I downloaded the game but it came in a zip file, How do I play it?

And also Reactor I would love to be able to get on the server!
You unzip it, go to the Bin folder, and you should see a .exe.

The server I am playing on is called Xanadu. But it can be rather laggy when there is a huge influx of players. ~_~

Here is some info on getting started and also some more text in this post on that.
= = = = = = = = = =
http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Getting_Started

The crafting and smelting is basically the same as in Minecraft, except there can be some deviations.

Lets take a look at your crafting window. When you open your inventory, you will see a 9x9 crafting window, no need for a crafting table there. But, do you notice the button "Back?" When you click "Back" you are presented with an array of other options to choose, I think they should be fairly easy to figure out.

Mining blocks takes less time, but you have to be prepared with some resources to make picks, because if you are deep down in a mine, and your last pickaxe breaks, you can't mine anything with your hand like you could in Minecraft.

With running, you must have boots for that. Different materials give different running speeds, Crystal gives you the most speed. Boots are considered armour, and I think having a look at your extra options in your inventory window should tell you where they go.

To protect your land from griefers, if you are really worried, you can create these objects called Protection Blocks, though they protect only a limited amount of area, and it can be painful giving access to your friends if you have several of them. Thus you will need to make them accessible just in case you want to add anyone. Punching it shows the area it has locked, right clicking it shows who has access. People can break through any protected walls at first, but depending on the response time, it will usually close up. This can be a weak point and thus, if you have protection only on the edges of your area, you should invest in double fortification, and walls atleast six blocks high. Avoid using dirt, cobblestone is the next easy thing to get, and better yet, use Obsidian.

In order to teleport back home by command, you must be stationary and not moving slowly through any liquid. It is really suggested that no matter what, you avoid lava at all costs.

You can make several types of chests, Locked Chests can only be opened by the person who placed them, Shared Chests (Inorder to work they must be placed in protected areas) can be accessed by people who have access to a certain protection block which influence is covering it. And there are just the plain chests, which can be accessed by anyone, whether or not protected.

But you must keep in mind that anything within an influence of protection can't be broken by players who don't have access to certain blocks.

Growing crops or anything is the same as in Minecraft.

You also have "Protected Doors".

Also, another very useful chest is called a "Barter Shop", when right clicked this chest presents you with options of what you want to sell and at what price. Of course like the Shared Chest, it has to be protected otherwise people can steal it.

In the server Xanadu, you will find a lot of these buildings with Barter Chests selling various goods for certain prices, the currency there is Mese crystals.

The underground is organized into several levels, there is the Red, Cyan, and I forgot the other one.

Each level has a certain rarity of ores, Red has more Coal, Iron Lumps, Copper, and Gold. The deeper Cyan has more Mese, Diamond, and so forth.

The Monsters are really tough buggers. And some take away a lot of health. They spawn in darkness, and at night. They have more scarier vibes than in Minecraft, and can chase you relentlessly no matter where you go.

For hunger, different foods have different lengths of time in which they can keep you full. The more dense it is, such as Pumpkin Pie, the longer it takes for your hunger to go down.

The rest should be moderately easy to figure out. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by REACTOR; 01-17-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

If anyone would like to be part of our island, located at... 2765, 18, -564, here are some guidelines:

-People who are part of this island would have to contribute in terms of food, and resources.
-If making any structure, permission will have to be asked first to assess the aesthetic quality of the structure.
-Allowing people into the island is not allowed no matter how nice they seem. If anyone is in the island, they will have to be supervised at all time until they leave.
-Resources and food should be used sparingly.
-Simply use common sense and morals.

= = = = = =
What we are doing:

-Building tri-towers with shops and restaurants.
-Extending part of the island for it to look not-so ugly.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Woot woot!

Granary built + First Layering Of Island Extension
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
FlatOutLie
Cake

Ok I am a very nice Rustic builder. And I can contribute some resources. Im also a good miner. But yeah are there any commands such as "/tp" or a "/tpcord"

Also a problem about living at your island is that I need to ask you if I can build something. But you live all the way across the world (12 hour time difference)
I have some friends in Malaysia and I found the best time to play with them is 9 in the morning or 9 at night as people usually have these times off

Last edited by FlatOutLie; 01-19-2015 at 01:50 PM.
FlatOutLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Ok I am a very nice Rustic builder. And I can contribute some resources. Im also a good miner. But yeah are there any commands such as "/tp" or a "/tpcord"

Also a problem about living at your island is that I need to ask you if I can build something. But you live all the way across the world (12 hour time difference)
I have some friends in Malaysia and I found the best time to play with them is 9 in the morning or 9 at night as people usually have these times off
There are commands such as that, but not everyone is allowed to use them. In Minetest servers, everyone has his/her own privileges, how you get extra privileges, I don't know. Probably you will have to do something good or be a moderator there.

And one thing in Minetest Servers, they actually BAN PEOPLE, THEY ACTUALLY BAN PEOPLE for breaking the rules. :0 I was so happy when I first heard that.

Btw, the basic rules are... No griefing, No Swearing, No Taking People's Territory By Force, and No Stealing From People's Unlocked Chests.

Back to you, I think we can play on maybe Saturdays/Sundays GMT+8 time in the morning.

With building, sure you can build something, but I would like to know what you are building and where you might build it.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
FlatOutLie
Cake

Totally off topic, but did you know Xanadu is actually a legendary planet of peace and a sancuary for animals of different worlds that where in danger? There is literely no fighting alowwed on Xanadu and the people of Xan where the strongest race of any world even over olympians and titans

Its so Ironic that you picked a server with a legend of peace. Because I dont think you like fighting xD

Last edited by FlatOutLie; 01-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
FlatOutLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Its so Ironic that you picked a server with a legend of peace. Because I dont think you like fighting xD
This isn't irony. Like, at all.

A fire-station burning down is irony. Or REACTOR loving violence but picking a peaceful named server.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I don't like violence...

So FlatOutLie, I will be online today.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
FlatOutLie
Cake

woops not Ironic, I think coincidental is the right word???
Yeah I havnt had much time for MineTest ive been playing robocraft. You can find info about that game here RoboCraftGame.Com
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
woops not Ironic, I think coincidental is the right word???
Yeah I havnt had much time for MineTest ive been playing robocraft. You can find info about that game here RoboCraftGame.Com
Doesn't really speak to me. I am giving this game a miss.