Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Lightbulb Editor Ideas And Tricks

I just thought I would make a thread where members can share their ideas and tricks about the SWC editor
__________________________________________________ __________________________
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Editor Ideas And Tricks

Staged (Almost-Unlimited Number Of Monsters) Level
2.Make an item with a summon monster effect with the effect box on always.(And choose your desired monster)
3.When the player steps in the area(of your location) then change items at XX,XX to pumpkin or whatever you called your SMI.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
tyconger191
Badguy

Lightbulb Re: Editor Ideas And Tricks

How to make it so players have a level capacity where they can level up and level up to a certain level.

-In this tutorial we will let G0 represent the amount of experience points you currently have, G1 represent the amount of experience needed to reach the next level, and G2 the level itself.

Part One: Making the experience points

1. Add a new item that will be used as an experience point.
2. Give that item a certain chance of dropping like 1 in 20 chance or something
3. Set the item so it can be picked up and don't set any other things (like "always")
4. Make it so it's effect is "Increment to G0"
5. Make message the item sends say %%G0/%%G1

Part Two: making it so the player can see their level and experience points

1. Create a special,
2. In the cause portion of the special put keypress holding shift
3. In the cause portion put another cause right next to that one and put it as keypress tap up
4. To the right of the first cause you will see "or", click it and it should switch to "and", keep it at "and"
5. Now, in the effect portion make it so it gives out a message saying this "Progress: %%G0/%%G1, Level(%%G2)" it should fit if I remember correctly, otherwise just get rid of a space or the parenthesis or something.
6. set the special's use limit to unlimited.

You can choose to set this level and exp viewer up in the hub world or everywhere, but if you choose to put it in more than one level before constructing the levels make sure you have the special in it or you might have to do a lot of work, this along with the other specials I will be showing you, should be put on a template level you can construct things on and just keep copying the level blank to construct stuff on.

Part Three... Making it so you can level up!

1. The very first special
a. create a special in your starting level only!
b. put in cause portion: if variable G1 is 5 or more
c. set it to "not" on the left of the cause.
d. for the effect: set variable G1 to 5
e. give this special one use

2. The second special
a. create a special in your starting level only!
b. for the cause put if variable G2 is 1 or more
c. on the left of the causes box change it to "not"
d. for the effect put set variable G2 to 1
e. give this special one use

3. The main specials
a. create a special on your blank template level that you will use for your levels.
b. For the cause put if variable G0 is 5 or more (this will be referred to as cause one)
c. Change the or to the right to an and
d. For the second cause underneath put if variable G2 is 2 exactly(this will be referred to as cause two)
e. Set the second causes status (the G2 one) to "not"
f. For the effect have it set variable G1 to G1+x (for the how much more it will take to reach the next level). (this will be referred to as effect one)
g. For the second effect have it set variable G2 to G2 + 1
h. give this special one use

So this is how it works G1=Y, Cause one: if G0 is Y or more, Cause one is for how much more exp you will need for each level, Cause two is just saying you must have G2 always be x exactly before the effect can happen, x being the current level the one right be for the level the effect will so obviously be putting you at.
effect one is what determines how much exp is needed for the next level, the x up there represents how much exp it will take to reach the next level. Be aware for the next level special you will have to keep in mind G1 got bigger. The second effect just works as a base effect promoting the player to the next level.

FINAL PART: Making the levels not so pointless
Really simple
1. create a special
2. put a cause saying if variable G2 is x exactly(x will be the level these stats will be applied to)
3. put an effect saying set max life to x, another saying set current life to x
or
1. create a special
2. put a cause saying if variable G2 is x or more(x will be the level these stats will be applied to)
3. monster item give player(???) [award them with hammers]
or
Both
OR
get creative, make special hammers, helper monsters, make an unlock list, make levels only open when you reach a certain level. HOPE THIS WAS USEFUL!

IF you use this idea please give me full credit.

Last edited by tyconger191; 07-15-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Make it less likely for people to steal credit.
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
calthax
Karyian

Or, if you want dialogue, use some text files.
Or, if you want a really hard boss, set the hp to hundred thousands.
Put Super Orbiters, their Orbit Bombers X50.

Last edited by calthax; 07-17-2013 at 07:01 AM.
calthax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
tyconger191
Badguy

Default One last thing about the level system

I forgot to tell you, when leveling up, it would probably be smart to have it so the player gets changed with his or her team to good and have the special effects play when they're changed and a message appears, that way the player knows he or she's leveling up.

Last edited by tyconger191; 07-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Hammered
Nailed It!

I have posted tons of tips and tricks for world building elsewhere on this forum, but several of them were lost in the great forum bug of whenever that was, so I compiled them on another site. Anyway, instead of having the level item drop somewhere and hope the player notices it and decides to pick it up, it would be better to just give the player the item and display a screen saying something like Congratulations, PlayerName, you have advanced to level LevelNumber! This is much more elegant.

For an excellent guide with lots of complex editor tips and tricks, see The Player's Guide to Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese - the Editor Tricks tab is loaded with lots of advanced tricks which will help out those who want to do fancier things. You can use my ideas and suggestions without giving me credit in your worlds. Information is meant to be shared. This is the site I referred to earlier, which also has plenty of information for any player, not just builders: http://www.freewebs.com/suppremeplayersguide/index.html

Last edited by Hammered; 07-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
writerstix
Writer of Sticks

I love that sight, I still use it today.

Check out my page on Hamumu Wikia!
http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/User:Writerstix
writerstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Tile Memory - By using the "T" math operator (it reads tile numbers off the map. For example, 2T8 tells you which tile number is at 2,, and the "Tile Var" special effect (which sets a tile of your choice to the contents of a given variable), you can use the tiles of your world as a memory bank to greatly increase your storage of temporary data. Like V variables, it will of course be wiped out when the player exits the level. Also note that although variables are integers (4 bytes, capable of holding numbers from -2billion to positive 2billion), tile numbers are words, (2 bytes, capable of holding numbers from 0 to 65535), so you must keep your numbers in that range or they'll be moved to that range against their will. You would probably want to use tiles that are out of the player's sight for this memory. It is perfectly okay to use a number that isn't a legal tile - it will just display as a bunch of question marks. Let me know if you ever find a use for this! I'm convinced it's possible to create simple arcade games with this, if you just work it out carefully.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Hammered
Nailed It!

I have used it many times - but there is a super big caution that you failed to mention - if you change a tile to the number of an animated tile, it will start fluctuating with the animation. For this reason, not only can you use values that are not actual tile numbers, but you should completely try to avoid them. To be sure not to get caught in this trap, only use values greater than 200.

Last edited by Hammered; 08-09-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
I have use it many times - but there is a super big caution that you failed to mention - if you change a tile to the number of an animated tile, it will start fluctuating with the animation. For this reason, not only can you use values that are not actual tile numbers, but you should completely try to avoid them. To be sure not to get caught in this trap, only use values greater than 200.
Oh,yeah. I forgot to mention that.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
REACTOR
Question the trends!

This setup has a nice sliding effect to the player.

Place blowers and suckers in a X position like this:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
I have posted tons of tips and tricks for world building elsewhere on this forum, but several of them were lost in the great forum bug of whenever that was, so I compiled them on another site. Anyway, instead of having the level item drop somewhere and hope the player notices it and decides to pick it up, it would be better to just give the player the item and display a screen saying something like Congratulations, PlayerName, you have advanced to level LevelNumber! This is much more elegant.

For an excellent guide with lots of complex editor tips and tricks, see The Player's Guide to Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese - the Editor Tricks tab is loaded with lots of advanced tricks which will help out those who want to do fancier things. You can use my ideas and suggestions without giving me credit in your worlds. Information is meant to be shared. This is the site I referred to earlier, which also has plenty of information for any player, not just builders: http://www.freewebs.com/suppremeplayersguide/index.html
Interesting,may I ask what other site you compiled a list on?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Going off on another topic:

I do think we must update our wiki pages about the SWC editor and sleepless hollow.

I am currently writing a page about the 8.0d version of the SWC editor,should I make a new
article about that or just stick it at the end of the current SWC editor page.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Megadog
The Demagogue

Partially on topic, but this is the best page on The player's guide. And it's been like for at least 6 years.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
Interesting,may I ask what other site you compiled a list on?

Did you read the whole post? It's the last thing she said.
http://www.freewebs.com/suppremeplayersguide/index.html
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Did you read the whole post? It's the last thing she said.
http://www.freewebs.com/suppremeplayersguide/index.html
Oh,sorry,I misread it!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Hammered
Nailed It!

My site existed before the wiki - I quit updating it when they started the wiki,since it was pointless to duplicate the effort - but there is still a lot of great information on my site. Also my worlds contain some of the most complex logic used in any of the worlds, so they can also be used for examples of advanced techniques, although, of course, you don't get a narrative explanation of what is doing what when you are trying to unravel what the specials are doing.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
REACTOR
Question the trends!

The continuous boomkin chain

1. Have as many boomkins as you like in your level
2.Create a new item with the "always" box ticked and have the effect of <summon monster boomkin>
3.create a special with:
trigger - timed 00:00
effect - give boomkin at anywhere < your special item (which you created in step 2) > ; uses=0

And there you have it!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Idea by Tyler, I thought I'd add it:

Do you ever feel that you need to have your world be something to be worked for in order to be played? Well, why not try this method I came up with?

Step 1: come up with a password
Step 2: implement the password as a secret thing you can find in a different world or as something you receive upon beating a different world's boss.
Step 3: make sure you have tiles for each letter in the alphabet
Step 3: make it so that all the alphabet tiles are linked and animate on step.
Step 4: depending on how many letters there are in the password, put that many tiles in a row [should be common sense]
Step 5: now make a spcl saying that if the tiles spell out the password that the thing that was closed is now open, like for example if you couldn't get in to the world's HUB because of a wall that now will vanish.
Step 6: You are done, you made a password for unlocking something in another world, which could have been the world itself.

This works with numbers too [again common sense].
So, if you wanted to make something like an ultra secret level in a world that required a password that was found at another world then you could do this! People have probably thought of this already, I just hate to have it so players don't feel that rewarding feeling of not unlocking anything, I mean you can make unlockables in your world already, but this is a more complex way of doing it and it can probably even be improved upon.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
Pup514
Hounds 'About

I have an idea, playing Boyd's, or was it, Pewskeepski's SS8 world, probably the second one, which inspired me to think this one up:

Do you feel that you want to have an alter (which teleports the player) to appear at the exact place where the boss/enemy died, but feel that it's just too tricky and would chew up on specials if you were to use tiles...

Well, here is one way to do it, 1. Design an alter in paint or any simple image program, copy tiles from the Supreme directory to make up the alter.

2. Use Spacemaniac's LunaticPal program to convert the PNG file to a proper BITMAP, remember to add the BMP extension at the output window manually.

3. Use Spacemaniac's JSPedit program to load the BMP and save it as a JSP,

4. Set a special in your level to load the JSP which has the alter.

5. Go into the items editor, create a new item, and tick the box "Use custom JSP".

6. Set the effect of the item to, Player Bump, and the trigger to, Increment V0. If variable V0 is already used, than choose another variable.

7. Choose the item for your selected enemy to drop.

8. Add a special where, If Variable ** is 1, Then Teleport player to XX,XX.

And you're pretty much done.