Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
tyconger191
Badguy

Default Re: Editor Ideas And Tricks

For showing off cool tricks in the editor I made some videos:

If you have an irrational fear of Matilda / Matilda-x, do not watch any of these videos.

Part 1
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=_09aJlbvKEI

Part 2
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=ZaxxX6rgLi8

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Really groovy man!
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 AM   #23
REACTOR
Question the trends!

A mushroom chain reaction.

1. Set up a special similar to this:
Code:
Trigger: Timed 0000
Effect: Change Spore At Anywhere To Mushroom
Uses: 0
2. Put a few mushrooms in a unique environment, such as a stealth level, and you're off!

While simple, I think this tick could do nicely in levels where you don't want the player to touch any mushroom and to be careful about the surroundings.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #24
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Houdini Bombs
----------------------
Everyone remember that tragic Star Trek Deep Space 9 episode where groups of Star Fleet officers were stationed at a Dominion post and where Sisko decided to stay and help because of his guilt towards how much these people have suffered. Well one notable weapon the Dominion used were bombs which go off at random if a certain amount of movement is made. I thought, hmm, leaving off the tragedy to one side, these could be a good challenge is a Supreme level, I don't exactly know how, but I am sure you guys will figure it out.
----------------------
Note: Requires Version 8.0d of Supreme

Requires: Spacemaniac's LunaticPal and JSP Program, And A Paint Program
http://wombat.platymuus.com/lunaticpal/
http://wombat.platymuus.com/jspedit/

1. Create a new JSP file using JspEdit with 48 blank sprites, save it with any name you want.
2. Copy the created JSP file over to the User folder in the Supreme directory.
3. Open up the Editor and place the Boomkins at your desired locations in the level, it only makes sense to use Boomkins since they are explosive. Now remember that these Boomkins will be hidden from the player's eye.
4. Create a special assigning your created JSP file to the Boomkin.
5. Create a special which changes the Boomkin to Good.
6. Now use your imagination and choose whatever trigger to make the Boomkins chase after you, remember to use the Random Chance trigger too! Here is what I did:

Note: If you are going along my lines, it will be very important that you set the Uses to 0, unlimited!

7. Create a special where if V0 is set to 1, then Increase variable V1 by 1, unlimited use!
8. Create a special where if V1 reaches some number, like 80 (The game moves at 30 frames per second so 80 would be 1 min and 20 seconds), than change Boomkin at anywhere to good and set the used variables, V0, and V1 to 0. Unlimited uses here again. This will be our timeout process and will make these mines lay dormant until the player does something to trigger them again.

You might want to also turn FX off, unless you want to intentionally do it so the player has a chance to see them.

But of course, the player can bump into the Pumpkins without triggering them and instantly know where they are. If you want some more trickery added, than place Creepazoids instead of Boomkins at your desired locations, create a JSP file with I think it's maybe 144 empty sprites, assign that instead to the Creepazoids, change all specials with Boomkins to Creepazoids, and also don't forgot to assign the Boomkin AI to the monster and also change it to good in the first level.

So what do you think of this trick, pretty cool right?

Last edited by REACTOR; 09-22-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #25
REACTOR
Question the trends!

A Way For Hiding Keychains Or Other Special Items...
1. Find a special item which appears a lot in your level, for best effects it has to be something superfluous to the goal of finishing the level.
2. Choose your desired keychain, and change the sprite to that superfluous item.

And voila, you have a hidden keychain!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #26
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Ways to prevent cheating...

Probably some of you world developers (if there are still any active) don't like people to cheat in your worlds. You feel that it just takes away all the hard work and effort that was put into the level. Here I have some tricks which might be useful.

Win Level
-This cheat is used when the player finds a level to be boring, or tedious.

To find a way around it...
(You need to reserve one global variable for this trick)

Please not that this is recommended more for worlds with levels which can only be accessed by playing a certain amount of levels.

1. Find the special which makes the player win the current level.
2. In the effects section, add the effect "Set Variable GX to GX + 1".
3. In the hub level, replace the "If Player Has Passed X Number Of Levels" trigger with the "If GX is X Or More" trigger at your desired entrance points.

The X In "GX" - The Global Variable Number which you will choose - G0, G1, etc...
The X in "is X Or More" - Enter the number of levels which the player must pass to access something.

Ultra Hammer Up
-This cheat is used a lot in cases where the player finds the level boring and wants to get it out of the way. Or simply wants to finish the world quickly/get to the good parts.

::Create a special, which looks like this...

Code:
Trigger: If Player Has 5 Hammer Up Exactly
Trigger: If Player Has 4 Pants Of Power Exactly

Effect: Give Player Pants Of Futility...
You can give or take a few triggers. Either by taking away the Hammer/Pants or adding many other effects such as draining health. The Sproingy Spring and Reverse Hammer are a major problem since you can't take them away.

Max Health, Max Rage, Energy Barrier, Kablooie, Freeze Enemies, Free Scanner, Ammo Crate, Infinite Oxygen, No Skid Boots, Super Speed, Lights On - These are really tricky, needs more thinking!

All Brains
-Commonly used when the player can't find the brain to finish the level.

(One local variable will have to be reserved)

1. Go to the Items editor and change the effect of the brain to Increment VX.
2. Create a new item with any sprite which gives the player a brain. Lets call it GiveBrain
3. Create a special, unlimited use...

Code:
Trigger: If Variable VX is 1 Exactly 

Effect: Give Player The Item GiveBrain
Effect: Set Variable VX to 0
(This variable must be the same one in the Trigger)

This has been tested with large clumps of brains, and there were no errors with how many brains it gave.

All Keys
-Used as an easy way to access other levels in hubs or parts of a level.

Depending on your level, one way to bypass it would be to have a special with the trigger of "If Player Is In Area XX-XX" && "If Player Has [Enter Keys Which The Player Is Not Supposed To Have At This Point] Then Drain Players Health (Or another effect)" then that would work.

Walk On Water
-A cheat used many times in levels involving rafts and water, or bridges and water. It being used mostly because of the players laziness or blaze feeling when encountered with levels involving huge lakes of water.

This can be easily bypassed by having two sets of water tiles. But with the Tile Editor please keep in mind to separate them so you don't mix the two up.

The first set of animating tiles will have nothing special about them, they should be place along the land...

Next, place the second set of animating tiles after the first row...

Now comes the twist, depending on how many tiles you have per set, create a special per second set tile.

Code:
If Player Steps On Tile [A Tile Of The Second Set]

Effect: (In the effect box you can have many things, either by killing the player, or teleporting the player somewhere for cheating.)

Unlimited Use

And that's that. I hope this was somewhat useful and gave some ideas to those who want quasi-cheat proof worlds.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-07-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #27
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Regarding "Ways to prevent cheating":

(Win Level)
In the scheme you describe, the player may legitimately win a single level multiple times to increase the counter. I would recommend using a series of flags instead. For the effect, set GX to GX|1, GX|2, GX|4, GX|8, GX|16... so on (different number in each level) for however many levels there are, and compare GX to the number needed (e.g. 1+2+4+8 for those four levels) to open doors.

(Ultra Hammer Up)
Actually, it is possible to take away the Reverse Hammer and Sproingy Spring. Create an item with effect "Power Up Player" and powerup "Remove Reverse Hammer" and "Remove Reflect Hammer" and give the player these items through "Give Item".
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 AM   #28
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Regarding "Ways to prevent cheating":

(Win Level)
In the scheme you describe, the player may legitimately win a single level multiple times to increase the counter. I would recommend using a series of flags instead. For the effect, set GX to GX|1, GX|2, GX|4, GX|8, GX|16... so on (different number in each level) for however many levels there are, and compare GX to the number needed (e.g. 1+2+4+8 for those four levels) to open doors.

(Ultra Hammer Up)
Actually, it is possible to take away the Reverse Hammer and Sproingy Spring. Create an item with effect "Power Up Player" and powerup "Remove Reverse Hammer" and "Remove Reflect Hammer" and give the player these items through "Give Item".
Oh I see. Thanks for the info!

(With The Win Level) We can split the Win special into two. One will just be a simple "Win Level And Goto XXXX", the second one would have the same trigger as the first but it will set GX to GX + 1;

To stop what you mentioned above, we could just have a special where if "GX is 1 Or More - Then - Delete Special At XX,XX". The XX,XX would be the location of the special which increments GX.

Edit: To be honest, I don't really understand those "|" in the specials.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-07-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #29
Hammered
Nailed It!

Another way to prevent players from cheating in your levels is to make them fun and/or interesting without making them extraordinarily difficult to finish.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #30
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

If people want to cheat you should let them cheat.

That's a decision they get to make, the tradeoff is that they lose all their points if they do cheat.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #31
seamonkey
spoon eater

I dunno whether the issue of should is relevant to this thread. This primary issue at hand here is that it is in theory possible.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #32
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Well yeah I suppose you have a point there Hammered.

Blue Dwarf: Okay, but I just thought I would get these ideas out there. Certainly it's also the builders choice to cheat-proof a level.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #33
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Regarding Kablooie, I recall an old level (might have been from a Monthly Merge?) which put dummy monsters around the map in areas where they couldn't be hit normally, and killed the player if any of them died. However, this assumes that the level doesn't let the player hit them legitimately with the Cherry Bomb's or other weapons' Rage attacks, so certain Special Weapons would have to be restricted.

Power-ups and Special Weapons can be detected with the Have Item special, by checking if the player has one or more of the item that gives it (eg. "Bombs" for Cherry Bombs). If I recall correctly, you could also measure rage this way using custom items. Again though, these assume the player can't get the items normally in the level.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #34
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
(With The Win Level) We can split the Win special into two. One will just be a simple "Win Level And Goto XXXX", the second one would have the same trigger as the first but it will set GX to GX + 1;

To stop what you mentioned above, we could just have a special where if "GX is 1 Or More - Then - Delete Special At XX,XX". The XX,XX would be the location of the special which increments GX.
Two things:
1) There's no reason to use Delete Special (it exists only for ported Dr. Lunatic worlds). You can just have two triggers on the GX+1 special, (win level condtion) AND NOT (GX is 1 or more).
2) This still doesn't work if you use the same variable for multiple levels. Then, completing any level sets G1 to 1, and therefore it can never be incremented further. You could get around this by requiring a strict linear progression of levels.

For details on | (which in this context is known as "bitwise OR", one of several bitwise operators), my recommendation would be the "Storing Multiple Switches in a Single Variable" section on the Supreme Player's Guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
If I recall correctly, you could also measure rage this way using custom items.
It's worth noting that the player's rage can be accessed through the "PR" variable.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #35
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Two things:
1) There's no reason to use Delete Special (it exists only for ported Dr. Lunatic worlds). You can just have two triggers on the GX+1 special, (win level condtion) AND NOT (GX is 1 or more).
2) This still doesn't work if you use the same variable for multiple levels. Then, completing any level sets G1 to 1, and therefore it can never be incremented further. You could get around this by requiring a strict linear progression of levels.

For details on | (which in this context is known as "bitwise OR", one of several bitwise operators), my recommendation would be the "Storing Multiple Switches in a Single Variable" section on the Supreme Player's Guide.

It's worth noting that the player's rage can be accessed through the "PR" variable.
Oh, well thanks for the info Spacemaniac.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:45 AM   #36
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I think I have found a very useful trick...

Lets say you are in this situation where you want to give the Player ten coins, but you don't want to have to create ten triggers to just give the Player those coins, and you don't want to add a custom item.

What you can do is create a special with a Timer in the effects section, set to 00:00, in the Trigger add whatever item you want to give the player, and in the uses, type in how many of that item you want to give to the player!

It works perfectly! I have used this trick in my PSW level. Woot! Almost finished with that level by the way.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #37
Hammered
Nailed It!

Why on earth would anyone not want to just create the item. It's way easier than what you susuggest and doesn't wast processing cycles.

Last edited by Hammered; 03-28-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Why on earth would anyone not want to just create the item. It's way easier than what you susuggest and doesn't wast processing cycles.
It would certainly be useful if people are doing Merges of some sort and are limited to how many custom items they can add. In this case, I think it's pretty useful.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 AM   #39
REACTOR
Question the trends!

An idea for mash'em up levels! ~ The unlimited swarm of monsters.This idea is got for people who want their levels to have some edge of difficulty. There are two ways of implementing it.

#1: Place Djinni Lamps in places where the player can't reach and hit.
#2: Make an invisible item using the "Use Tile Option" and choose a black tile, and then have it as Bullet Proof, but becareful not to have it as Impassible.
>Have generators at your desired location, choose your desired monster for the generator, and then place the item you created around the generator and on it.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #40
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Surprise Monster Drops!

I have used this idea heavily in my Halloween Horror 13 world. This concept is great for people who want to add some sneaky and nasty surprises to the player.

1. Create a new item, tick "Always" in the "Trigger" section, and choose "Summon Monster" in "Effects".
2. Choose your desired monster.
3. Set a "Random Drop" number, the higher the number the higher the chance this item will drop.
4. Instant added edge of difficulty! Though it depends on how you place your monsters.

Last edited by REACTOR; 08-15-2015 at 01:24 AM.