Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017
Old 05-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Default Bugfix Patch v1.0

Hi nerds!
I hacked the hex code of the game and fixed a few minor bugs. You may not have noticed these bugs, but I did!
I've uploaded a fix to Google Drive, you can download it and try it out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...WlJaHd0V25kMUk

It's an .ips patch, and I included a free program to apply the patch. Download and unzip the folder, and open patchreadme.txt for detailed instructions.

Bugs fixed:
A couple of skills had bugs that would make them useless if the skill level was too high. These all were due to the "one-byte wraparound effect" where numbers above 255 would be wrapped around to very low numbers:
Restoration's healing amount, if you have a high skill level and enough Ice Madcap crystals, would become useless,
Restoration's invincibility timer, if you have enough stat boosting items and Sparkling Water to give you a very high skill level, would become extremely short,
Training's bonus XP, if your skill level was above 12, would be chopped to nothingness.

Additionally, three classes of monsters (Monkeys, Dogs, and Bruisers) all had a bug that affected friendly versions (through Persuasion, or by joining the Onion Ring and joining the Rumble). The melee attacks of these friendly monsters would ACT like attacks from enemy monsters; ignoring enemies and hitting friendlies. Bruisers will even eventually bonk themselves to death! Not anymore; now their attacks ignore friendlies and correctly smash enemies.

Bugs which I know about but haven't fixed yet:
Stone Spike also has a wraparound bug if you get enough Nature Madcap Crystals, but it's harder to fix. Weirdly, the first spikes cast by the spell do full damage, but the spikes created by those spikes (and all after that) do reduced damage.

Lastly, all of this will be included in Absurd Area, which I am still working on. Slowly.

Last edited by Frogdude; 05-15-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Frogdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
seamonkey
spoon eater

Default Re: Bugfix Patch v1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogdude View Post
Hi nerds!
I hacked the hex code of the game and fixed a few minor bugs. You may not have noticed these bugs, but I did!
Cool.
Quote:
Lastly, all of this will be included in Absurd Area, which I am still working on. Slowly.
Even cooler. I had assumed this had stalled.

Last edited by seamonkey; 05-16-2016 at 04:49 PM.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Frogdude
Dumb Person

It's still a thing that's happening... and I have less free time lately, which paradoxically means I'll have MORE time for this, because I'll be trimming out things that take up more time and I don't want to do as much.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Sounds like some important fixes! I wonder if Jamul would be interested in implementing them into the official version. I think the biggest issue I've faced in LL2 is the sprites disappearing once there's too many bullets, but I'm sure there's no easy solution to that. Anyways I'm also glad to hear Absurd Arena is still in progress, definitely looking forward to that.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 05-16-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
Frogdude
Dumb Person

No idea if it becoming official is plausible; if he's not big on assembly programming (which is completely useless for almost everybody) I can't imagine how to even explain how I fixed it, to say nothing of how I know it won't break anything!

And I might implement some even more complicated fixes... for example, I think it wouldn't be too hard to change one of the light specials (which currently do nothing) to Summon Friendly Monster...
Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Next up, I noticed that a few quantities are NOT affected by Madcap Crystals:
1) The Clockbot healing from Tin Cans
2) The extra HP from Vibrant Parka (and I think the -10 HP from the Sickening Parka)
3) The extra damage from Sneak Attack

I'll probably try to fix those first, and then see what I can do about the Stone Spike issue... and, then, next, I might actually do some sort of rebalancing.

I noticed that some of the parka effects aren't really that useful - 1 stamina every 5 seconds, 1 health every 20 seconds, 1 magic every 20 seconds... pretty much useless. So I might increase the frequency to be, like, 1 stamina every second and 1 health/magic every 3 or 5 seconds or something. That way, they'll be the sort of useful thing where you might actually get some use out of them. Any thoughts?

I've also been considering changing Triple somewhat, since as it is getting the skill beyond level 10 does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except increase the throwing stamina cost! But the only way I can think to tweak that is to nerf it somewhat... like, currently the side axes are 10%/level of the main axe, and if I dropped that to 7%/level, it would max out around level 14 or so. Maybe I'd decrease the stamina cost as well.

Not really a big fix, and it WOULD be a nerf... but it bugs me that if I max out Triple and get some way cool item that boosts Triple, it just adds stamina cost.