Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Loonyland

Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Default Re: Video demo of Absurd Area, LL2 world in progress

Berserk is level 4 enchantment. How many upgrades did you get? You can get enough upgrade points for 8 total upgrades. Also I included a couple readme files, one of which has a list of all the skills available and which upgrade they're in.

I'll eventually need people to be unable to go back to the starting hut because I will be letting people start over in Madcap Mode, and I need the starting hut so I can reset all the variables that apply to Absurd Area (since the game only automatically resets variables related to the main quests) - if you can't get back to the hut later on, I don't have to figure out how to keep it from resetting all your objectives every time you step inside! However, if you were wanting it as a respawn point, there is one of those poles with the flashing orbs riiight next to the hut. Anywhere you see that post, you can touch it to visit the Halls of Mastery; when you leave the Halls, you will exit to wherever you entered from. So if you want to respawn up there, just duck inside for a bit. Currently there are 3 places to enter the Halls of Mastery from; in Einsburg, next to Woody's hut, and inside Klonk's hut. There will be more later, of course.

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-28-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Frogdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
Megadog
The Demagogue

If you end up with a spare map, could you make a second copy of the hut that looks the same but is actually a different map? Thereby allowing the consistency I'm after (Being able to reenter a hut you clearly left open) while not messing with your specials. Alternately, just some plot related reason as to why you can't enter given in game would be nice (like "Oh no, the door locked behind me!").

Also, some of the signs in the Halls repeatedly play, filling my chat box with words. And some title signs are missing. Again, though, these a minor complaints, mostly for continuity.

Last edited by Megadog; 07-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Well, if you install the dialogue patch, Woody asks you to lock the door behind you. And... well... I won't be ending up with a spare map. It's gonna be a large add-on!

The signs that play repeatedly are because they have to fit on more than one line. Not sure there's a way around that, really. EDIT: Haha, literally just thought of a way less than a minute after I posted. I think I can change that really easily.
What do you mean by title signs being missing?

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
Megadog
The Demagogue

Just looked through the dialogue, I can't believe I missed that...

As for the title signs, there are some ones where there are two signs, one that tells you the skills and the other that says what the class is. Again, having looked through the text files now, I see that was purpose.

Furthermore, make that count three of the "This area doesn't exist yet" entrances. Getting to that far top left one in the icy place was a pain in the neck without skates...
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Wow, I didn't even know you COULD without skates! (You're sort of not supposed to... XD)
Did you find the secret areas (Isle of the Marionettes and Infested Wood)? What do you think about how they were hid?

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
Megadog
The Demagogue

I found both of them, and I liked how they were hid. I would prefer if the entrance to the wood didn't move, as it kind of makes sense to fight your way in. Besides, once you know it's there, you're not going to forget too easily.

As for the ice thing, you shouldn't be able to do it. I just know of an old glitch you can use to get there. I can't get back, so I have to kill myself and respawn at the town, but I have most of the stuff there, with only the area with the chest and the adjacent area with the present unreached. If a single spike was moved I could get them too. :P

Last edited by Megadog; 07-28-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I wanted to make all of the secret entrances a touch of a challenge the first time but a lot easier after, but I could easily put a few more rats in a place where they'll be able to get in your way.

I assume the glitch is the one where you save and quit and reload and you're moving left? I accidentally rediscovered that one recently. I could probably proof it against that glitch, hehe. The rest, well, you CAN reach all of the other spots without the glitch, but you don't have the map I used to create it. :P

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-28-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Megadog
The Demagogue

a couple of Notes on the Marionette area:
  • The entrance should stay difficult to reach. As is, I've been able to grind my way to $5000 in about an hour or so...
  • There's a single rock in the water you can jump on it the area, and this makes the initial fight (Which is worth two points, fruity and KO) really easy. I only found it afterwards, but it allows you to avoid all punchs (I don't know if fruit punch has long ranged attacks, but if not, it's trival)
Thinking from a testing perspective, know what we should be able to get at each point would be nice. I've only just noticed I have a pair of Bok-Boks following me...

EDIT: Just got around that place legitimately, and I must say you're some kind of evil genius. That was ridiculous! Also, I noticed a third Bok-Bok, but I couldn't reach him.

Last edited by Megadog; 07-28-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #29
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Ehhh... not sure what all I could do about the marionette area. I mean, grinding will ALWAYS be a thing you can do, yeah? It'd just be boring and each enemy will give you like 1 XP so I don't recommend it XD

Yeah, there are a few bokboks - you should be able to get 3 of them, but one of them is in the Polar Pond area and sometimes runs out on the ice where it's nearly impossible to catch.

I can put such things in the download file description, but right now it's
22 presents
3 bokboks
5 Snowman treasure chests
7 Upgrade Points (8 Upgrades total)
2 secret areas (Infested Wood and Isle of the Marionettes)
3 items (3/3 Smashing Axe of Critical Woody gives you when you talk to him for the second quest, 1/1 Guardian Amulet of Lifeberry in Mickey's cellar behind Snowman door, 4/2 Toasty Parka of Survival in the southwest of Polar Pond)
7 Quests completed
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #30
Megadog
The Demagogue

Got everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogdude View Post
Ehhh... not sure what all I could do about the marionette area. I mean, grinding will ALWAYS be a thing you can do, yeah? It'd just be boring and each enemy will give you like 1 XP so I don't recommend it XD
I mean grinding cash. My suggesting is to keep the tedious jumping entrance, to discourage grinding there. It just makes it take longer and require more skill than "Smash crush/Crush smash".
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #31
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Makes sense. There isn't much reason for repeat visits other than grinding for cash and talents, anyway. (It's a REALLY nice place to grind for Sneak Attack and Scavenging though... shhhh!)

I'm also slightly proud of my method to give certain objects only once, such as the items you get in Mickey's cellar - I like the idea of giving you exactly one Diamond so you can either make a super nice Clockbot or a specific amount of money. Also giving you exactly 2 Asbestos so, if you are good with potions, you can try to make a couple potions that you'd normally have to wait for the Shovel to make. This may come in handy in later installments... there will be one level in particular that it will be very handy to have a certain potion for...

EDIT: Hm, you know, I might make it so you have to do just as much to get back into the secret levels, but the flashing orbs move to the new location (so you have to walk over them and keep going to get in). The reason I moved the orbs was to make it easily visible once you've found it the first time, so if you come back much later you don't have to worry about exactly WHICH part of Frigid Forest had the Infested Woods entrance exactly.

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
Megadog
The Demagogue

That sounds like a good idea. Also, I have yet to get asbestos, is it in the current release?

Oh, and I'm saving my diamond, in case the bunny/onion quests turn up, because that bunny quest is easy.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I added it after the most recent upload. No worries; before TOO long you'll be able to get the Shovel. I need to finish the taiga, then the Halls of History (a little bigger than in Winter Woods for sure), a terrifying place called the Homicidal Hillside leading to where you get the Toolbox (I'll probably just place the toolbox in an empty level and get back to it or something); that place won't be too important for a while), and a couple secret areas.

Don't worry about the diamond; bunny/onion quests won't be for a while, and that particular quest I will change into something completely different. Instead, you have to bring the Clockmaker a Clockbot made with at least one of each Junk item (that is, you don't need to include the items you dig up). I will be adding a feature where any time you bring the Clockmaker a Clockbot with one of each Junk item, he will upgrade it for you; if you bring one that ALSO has 10 of a specific item (say, 11 Seeds and one of each other Junk item, or one of each Junk item and 10 Gold) he will upgrade it to an even better Clockbot themed around that item. (So, bring him one with 11 Thorns and he'll make it have low damage but a high rate of fire so it gets lots of thorns spraying around for a nice area attack in addition to upping its HP and Defense (normally clockbots are SO WEAK); bring one with 10 Gold and he'll give it loads of defense and HP so it can work as a moving land mine.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #34
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Also yeah the ice maze is a bit ridiculous; I kinda like hard puzzles so I put that bit in, but made it entirely optional. You can leave the treasures until when you have the Ice Skates and can get them easily, but if you DO decide to do it early, it rewards you with a sweet prize - the Toasty parka makes you completely immune to freezing, which is nice since the Taiga is crawling with enemies that freeze you!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #35
Megadog
The Demagogue

I meant it in the good way, I loved it. I got lost a couple of times, but it was fun to find my way around it.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #36
calthax
Karyian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogdude View Post

Yeah, there are a few bokboks - you should be able to get 3 of them, but one of them is in the Polar Pond area and sometimes runs out on the ice where it's nearly impossible to catch.

I can put such things in the download file description, but right now it's
22 presents
3 bokboks
5 Snowman treasure chests
7 Upgrade Points (8 Upgrades total)
2 secret areas (Infested Wood and Isle of the Marionettes)
3 items (3/3 Smashing Axe of Critical Woody gives you when you talk to him for the second quest, 1/1 Guardian Amulet of Lifeberry in Mickey's cellar behind Snowman door, 4/2 Toasty Parka of Survival in the southwest of Polar Pond)
7 Quests completed
That will be like leveling up in the 80's and 90's!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Treacherous Taiga is completely finished apart from a bit of cosmetic touching-up. There are a few mysterious paths looping around through the taiga, and you might run into a patrol of toy soldiers on one of them. Might; it randomly selects a location where you can run into a patrol so it seems like they're actually moving around. I love putting touches like that in.

Next up I think I'll do the eastern path, through the Homicidal Hillside. It'll be a nasty one. Be careful. Be prepared.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
Megadog
The Demagogue

Can't wait!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
seamonkey
spoon eater

I must admit I am specifically avoiding beta testing this; don't want to ruin the fun of the completed product.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I must admit I am specifically avoiding beta testing this; don't want to ruin the fun of the completed product.
Haha, no problem! I plan on putting in quite a few fun secrets. Hope you enjoy it when it's out! Whenever that is, hehe.