Frogdude
Dumb Person

Default Re: Video demo of Absurd Area, LL2 world in progress

He doesn't just sell ropes anymore.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #102
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I made a few videos to show my brother some features I haven't released yet, but you can see them too!

Behold, the 3D Tower!
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=OqwZldoRXeI

The hazardous Rickety Ridge!
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=WkC1icw0sl8

The Toy Factory!
http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=8rbYwymPXNs

Last edited by Frogdude; 04-25-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Frogdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #103
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Well those are some really cool features Frogdude. Makes it even more interesting then ever. Though I find the whole mash'em up theme to be quite tedious. I would go for replay value and charm myself.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #104
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Those are looking great. I like the rope ladder idea, and the 'physics' are looking good too.
I don't mind some big monster hordes every once in a while, as long as it's balanced out with enough other gameplay. It looks like your world has that balance.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 04-28-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #105
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I don't think there are a whole lot of huge horde battles - so far there's a pirate attack and the Toy Factory, with plans for another couple. I'm really looking forward to completing what I have planned for the Rumble... it'tt take almost the max specials, but it should blow some minds. ^__^
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #106
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I've been working on the Five Hidden Trials lately. Well, three of them, anyway. Those who have tested extensively may have already found the entrances to one or more of these areas; I just hadn't let you go in yet. These secret areas will only be useful to you if you have chosen certain Upgrades for your character. But if you can pass the test, you will get a great reward.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #107
Frogdude
Dumb Person

I'm planning to do another prerelease soon; this one will allow you to get into the Toy Factory. (But not destroy the core, since that causes the Onion to make you choose alignment, which could mean teleporting you to the Onion Camp, which I haven't built yet.) It will also allow you to access three of the Hidden Trials, if you meet the requirements and can find them.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #108
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Testing Prerelease 4!
As before, there are multiple versions depending on your music choice.
Music can be found here.
All 16 Custom Tracks
10 Custom Tracks
No Custom Music

You should be able to get:
70/120 Presents
28 Quests
19 Upgrade Points, for a total of 20 Upgrades Purchased
However, 6 of those presents are in certain secret areas.

New areas: The Toy Factory (west of Gelid Grove), Rickety Ridge (balloon only), Sankyo Castle (north of Sankyo; the very northern tip is reachable by balloon only, and if you jump across the water to the south of that bit, you can't jump back), Sinister Slopes (north of Sankyo Castle), and secrets. I also made it so you need the Shovel to get to Pitiless Peak and unlock Ballooning. However, you can now fly to all 6 places as soon as you get access to the balloon.

Other spoilery notes:
There are 3 important secrets I added - three of the Five Hidden Trials! You can unlock them by getting all five Upgrades for the Duelist, Gladiator, or Marksman lines. You can find the location before then, but there will be a gate blocking you from proceeding until you've bought the necessary Upgrades. You may not be able to test all three Trials on one character; however, if you start a character with the Expert modifier you will start with all upgrades purchased from the start. Turn on Even as well for lots of skill points fast.

Trial of the Duelist - Defeat the Doom Daisy in the Homicidal Hillside, then go to the center of the dead roots.
Trial of the Gladiator - Cross the ice on the river in Gelid Grove. Many of the jumps are very tricky. Fortunately, after entering the hole in the wall at the left end, another doorway in the southwest of Gelid Grove permanently opens so you only have to cross once.
Trial of the Marksman - Leap down the cliff on the left side of Precipitous Precipices. The tiny platform you're trying to hit is right below two trees, one above the other.

The Trial areas are very difficult, by design. They are meant to be a sort of optional nearing-the-end-of-the-game tests, with a fabulous reward - among other things, you get a piece of equipment with better stats than most artifacts. But if you can't get through them with a Level 25 character, don't be surprised.

All three Trials have two stages - the first is unique; the second is a fight against a Titanic Titan with some minions. After you pass Part 1 and jump down the hole to Part 2, you will not have to redo Part 1 if you die in Part 2.

Trial of the Duelist - A number of powerful enemies will appear one after the other - to pass the trial, defeat them all. If you can't defeat them quickly, they'll build up into a nasty mass.
Trial of the Gladiator - You must protect a number of Arena Crystals from several waves of enemies. If all of the Arena Crystals are destroyed before 120 seconds, you fail and will have to restart. If you manage to protect at least one for 120 seconds, you pass even if the last is destroyed before you go on to Part 2.
Trial of the Marksman - DO NOT DRINK ANY POTION or you will fail and have to restart. Don't try to kill all the enemies unless you're really powerful. Use skills to remove them from your path in other ways, like Gale or the Throwing talent to push them around, and try not to get hit too often. There are 64 barrels, each of which has one of 64 prizes inside - they're different each time you try the challenge, too, so you can't memorize which barrel has what. Approaching the barrel will open it. 18 of them have Souvenir Swords; upon collecting 15 of them the gate where you start will open and potions will be usable. Try not to die before jumping down to Part 2.

If you beat the Titanic Titan in Part 2 of any quest, you have passed. The gate will be open; claim your prizes: 2 Presents, an Artifact Bit, 6 Supreme Potions, and a piece of equipment that you might just come to love.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #109
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Hi! I've been working on the next set of quests - the Onion Ring / Snuggly Bunny stuff. Some of the quests will be about the same, but a few of them I'll be changing a lot - for example, both sides will have a quest with 10 things you have to defend from a number of enemies, and you get a reward based on how many you save.

But what I'm really excited about is the Rumble. Remember that one? You and a friendly army against an enemy army? Well, I'm changing it. In Absurd Area, there is a stream of troops coming from both bases, and a number of outposts across the battlefield. The outposts can be captured by either side and will supply a few more troops. You have to exert enough influence to push back the enemy lines - you will never run out of friendly troops to help out, but unless you play with Easy, they can not do it by themselves. And you have to use a bit of strategy - you watch out and make sure a group doesn't get around you and capture an outpost, see where the enemies are bunching up together for maximum use of Burninate / Stone Spike / Brambles / whatever, maybe run around behind enemy lines to find Bruisers / Clockbots coming from the enemy base and assassinate them before they can get to your troops and turn the tide of battle, and so on. It's a lot of fun to test, I gotta say! I'll likely put up a demo video before too long.

Those of you who don't like big drawn-out battles won't like the Rumble much, but I definitely want to have a few big fights to test you to your limits. And hey, this one's optional!

Last edited by Frogdude; 06-11-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #110
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Wow, progress has been fast lately! I'm almost finished with the Bunny and Onion quests. I guess it helps that there weren't a lot of new areas to build! Of course, I still have to program the large complicated mass of specials I have in mind to make Clockbotting more fun... After that, I might put in the secret route and then do another prerelease. Ain't you lucky, all y'all who are still testing this!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #111
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Might as well put up what I've got. Haven't done the secret path yet, but here's prerelease version 5!
All music version
Some music version
No music version

76/121 presents possible:
Presents:
0 (1): Frigid Forest: Isolated area left of infested wood
1 (1): Frigid Forest: Next to Used Goods
2 (1): Frigid Forest: bokbok area
3 (1): Brisk Bog: shore next to isle of marionettes
4 (1): Brisk Bog: secret path on shore, w
5 (1): Brisk Bog: pond near bokbok, sw
6 (1): Icy Lake: in middle
7 (1): Icy Lake: top middle
8 (1): Icy Lake: top right
9 (1): Icy Lake: bottom left
10(1): Rooms of Research: beyond blockage
11(1): Vulgar Vault: Long Passage
12(1): Rowdy River (east side, south)
13(1): Rowdy River (west side, north)
14(1): Gelid Grove (mimic island)
15(1): Gelid Grove (southwest, east of mountain)
16(1): Precipitous Precipices: SE (second tower)
17(1): Precipitous Precipices: far NW
18(1): Monkey Grotto (up the ramp)
19(1): Rickety Ridge
20(1): Behind the inn
0 (2): Vulgar Vault: Short Passage
1 (2): Isle of the Marionettes
2 (2): Isle of the Marionettes
3 (2): Isle of the Marionettes
4 (2): Infested Wood
5 (2): Infested Wood
6 (2): Perilous Pass
7 (2): Treacherous Taiga: indent in lower left
8 (2): Treacherous Taiga: pond, lower right
9 (2): Treacherous Taiga: behind Rooms of Research
10(2): Bear Lair (top)
11(2): Bear Lair (bottom)
12(2): Army Camp (mess)
13(2): Army Camp (trigun storage)
14(2): Feral Farm (lower right of big field thing)
15(2): Feral Farm (lower left of big field thing)
16(2): Creepy Copse (near top entrance, across river)
17(2): Creepy Copse (SW)
18(2): Creepy Copse (W)
19(2): Monkey Grotto
20(2): Pitiless Peak
21: Mickey's Inn: Snowman Door Room
22: Storage Cabin
23: Klonk's Hovel
24: Vulgar Vault, snowman door
25: Bunny taiga hut
26: Onion taiga hut
27: Homicidal Hillside
28: Tweestad (deep in tunnel)
29: arena side
30: arena maze
31: arena icy
32: arena capital
33: Guru's house
34: Hiemal Holes, north of Curaga
35: Hiemal Holes, NW upper loop
36: Kinyova's Hideout
37: Hiemal Holes, north of kinyova pit - 0
38: Hiemal Holes, north of kinyova pit - 1
39: Hiemal Holes, west of RR pit
45: Outside Toy Fact
46: Toy Office
47: Sankyo Castle, far left in front of castle
48: Sankyo Castle, to the right in front of castle
49: Onion hideout (storeroom)
50: Onion hideout (junkyard)
51: Bunny camp (clockshop)
52: Bunny camp (storeroom)
88: civilian "trial"
89-90: duelist trial
91-92: gladiator trial
93-94: marksman trial

23 upgrade points for 24 upgrades possible.

New features:
Costumes: After joining the Order or Onion Ring and completing their "complete 3 missions" mission, you get the option to change into their costume! (That is, to apply the "Knight" or "Gangsta" modifier, whichever is appropriate.) After completing the Rumble quest, you get the option to change into the enemy faction's costume. Rad! Takes a Modifier slot though. You can return the costumes (or the Toy Bodzha, if you checked it out from the factory.)

Advanced Clockbotting - Take a Clockbot with one of each of the 10 Junk items (digging materials not necessary) and it will be upgraded into a more powerful version! You can upgrade it further by adding up to 5 more of each item. So, 1-6 Logs with 1 of every other Junk item will produce Clockbots with increasing amounts of health; 1-6 Socks will produce bots with extra attack. A bot with 1 of every Junk item except 4 Logs, 3 Socks, and 6 Gears will give a bot with extra attack, great health, and super rapid fire. Adding more than 6 of any Junk item or 5 Silver/Emeralds won't work. Don't do it. UNLESS you add 10 extra! 11 Logs and one of every other Junk item will produce a Bot with mega health and decent other stats. 11 Gears will produce a mega-rapid-fire bot, 10 Rubies will produce a special bot that fires many shots at once, etc. There are 15 of these special bots. Try them all! If you're Onion Ring, you have to beat Captain Capitan before this is available.

MEGA REWARD: After completing the beat-3-missions mission, you can return to the Historian to complete his quest. He will reward you by allowing you to choose one high-stats item that gives +3 to a skill of your choice! The item's special effect usually has something to do with the skill as well. Boney Amulet of +3 Bone Bomb? Itchy Parka of +3 Energy? Imbued Axe of +3 Persuasion? Yes Please!

Last edited by Frogdude; 06-25-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #112
Frogdude
Dumb Person

You know what, why don't I just give a list of all the 50 reward items you can choose from.
The stats of your reward item were chosen so that you could, if you were really lucky, have gotten the item from Magicsmithing - the parkas are 10/10, the amulets are 10/+50%, and the axes are 11/10. (Since, you can sharpen to 10 damage axes and then magicsmith them into an unsharpened 11 damage axe!)
Each list entry also explains the magic effect that I've currently assigned to that skill's reward item.

Parkas:
Frosty Parka of +3 Defense (Freezes enemies that hit you close up!)
Itchy Parka of +3 Energy (Less defense, but even MORE max magic)
Vibrant Parka of +3 Toughness (a little more HP)
Toasty Parka of +3 Survival (Immune to freezing! Also, Survival level 13 heals 4 HP per second!)
Swift Parka of +3 Training (Move faster. Warning: Getting Training above level 12 including all bonuses will trigger a bug that makes Training almost worthless. If you want this item, don't put a 10th point in Training ever.)
Violent Parka of +3 Strength (less defense, but even MORE attack power!)
Invigorating Parka of +3 Endurance (a little more stamina regen)
Electric Parka of +3 Tracking (since Tracking isn't as useful, might as well give it a powerful effect! Zaps enemies that hit you up close.)
Lucky Parka of +3 Luck (Even MORE item drop!)

Axes:
Handy Axe of +3 Mastery (reduces stamina cost to attack)
Freezing Axe of +3 Stun (slows enemies you hit, even if you didn't Stun them)
Smashing Axe of +3 Bash (knockback and stun for all hits)
Piercing Axe of +3 Critical (armor piercing, in addition to the piercing from Criticism!)
Imbued Axe of +3 Persuasion (less attack speed, but more max magic to use this skill)
Imbued Axe of +3 Flame (same)
Bloodsucker Axe of +3 Vampirism (An additional 10% (!) chance per hit to recover HP)
Defensive Axe of +3 Parry (less damage, more armor)
Smashing Axe of +3 Stomp (knockback on stun with all axe hits)
Beefy Axe of +3 Whirl (more max stamina to use the skill)
Handy Axe of +3 Throwing (reduces stamina cost)
Vampiric Axe of +3 Piercing (since you'll be able to hit more creatures, I made each hit also have a chance to give HP to take advantage of that)
Whistling Axe of +3Homing (axe moves faster when thrown)
Scorching Axe of +3 Triple (triple fireballs! But I think getting Triple above level 10 does NOTHING for you except increase Stamina cost. So don't put in more than 7 Skill Points.)
Flaming Axe of +3 Ricochet (Since the axe can be in the air longer, I made it spew fireballs to take advantage of that)
Beefy Axe of +3 Air Strike (more max stamina to use skill)
Thorny Axe of +3 Static (Make the axe throw out a little more damage, why not.)
Ebola Axe of +3 Poison (Even more poison, or poison even when slashing!)
Thorny Axe of +3 Shatter (More shards!)
Mystical Axe of +3 Axe Trap (Less stamina recovery, but more magic recovery to use the skill)

Amulets:
Druidic Amulet of +3 Shroom (Nature spells are cheaper)
Safety Amulet of +3 Stone Spike (You can't die unless you have 1 HP)
Safety Amulet of +3 Brambles (Same)
Holy Amulet of +3 Lifeberries (All healing is improved)
Mighty Amulet of +3 Burninate (More damage!)
Absorbing Amulet of +3 Ignite (Recover MP when hit)
Powerful Amulet of +3Toasties (More max MP)
Impervious Amulet of +3Heat Shield (more armor, but chance of magic failure)
Shocking Amulet of +3 Shock Orb (zaps nearby enemies)
Hotfoot Amulet of +3 Berserk (Berserk leaves a flame trail)
Angry Amulet of +3 Gale (More axe damage, less MP)
Absorbing Amulet of +3 Tornado (Get MP when hit)
Guardian Amulet of +3 Restoration (Briefly invincible when hit, which prevents status effects!)
Frigid Amulet of +3 Cryozoid (freezes all enemies whenever an Ice spell is cast!)
Powerful Amulet of +3 Cold Wave (more max MP)
Mighty Amulet of +3 Ice Cube (More damage!)
Cursed Amulet of +3 Drain (more armor, but lose MP when hit)
Boney Amulet of +3 Bonehead (Boneheads shoot fireballs and autoheal)
Boney Amulet of +3 Bone Bomb (same)
Cursed Amulet of +3 Plague (see Drain)

What will YOU choose?

Last edited by Frogdude; 07-03-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #113
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Two new areas!
First, the Drafty Den. Testers may have found an entrance already, but now you can actually go inside. Behold:

You know how most caves don't have you sliding everywhere, careening wildly off the walls? This cave is different. I sure hope you know that you can jump to change direction or stop immediately!
You know how most caves don't have only enemies that can freeze you? This cave is different in that way too! I sure hope you have some way to resist freezing or at least a ranged arsenal so you don't get frozen and picked off while helpless!
And there may be secrets to find too........

Next, a secret area that is more secret than most secret areas! You have to do some puzzle shenanigans to even get inside. But once inside.......

You know how in most caves you can breathe easily? This cave is different. That blue haze is a poison gas that will slowly suffocate you until you reach somewhere safe. Fortunately, it is heavier than air, so if you keep jumping, you can catch fresher air at the top and choke less often... Since, you know, it works by changing the ground to water-type every once in a while but you won't go splash if you're in the air. Maybe I'll re-use this idea in the underworld too...

There may also be some more secret stuff associated with this location. Maybe.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #114
Megadog
The Demagogue

Yay!

I wish I could find more time to play this in...
Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #115
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

This is still looking really cool. The ice cave is a good idea, a nice way to switch up repetitive cave systems. For the second one, when the ground changes to water, doesn't it attempt to teleport you onto normal ground, though?

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 07-18-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #116
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Actually, it doesn't - the game keeps track of the last "safe spot" you were standing, and if you fall into water it teleports you there - but if the ground under you changes INTO water, it remembers that the last "safe spot" you were standing on was right there, so it teleports you nowhere! However, if you jump and land juuust as the ground is turned into water, it will teleport you back to where you started your jump, which can look pretty silly.

It DOES, however, destroy all the dropped items that were on the ground - better pick up the loot fast!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #117
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Slow progress lately, but I'm getting close to finished with the Five Hidden Trials! Woo!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #118
FlatOutLie
Cake

I don't know if there's anything like this but could you put a grappling axe that instead of knock back it pulls them towards you
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #119
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Can't be done with what I'm using - it may be possible, but I'd have to hack the game code a bit more, and right now I just want to stick to the editor and text-editing.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #120
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Woo! I've finally finished the Five Hidden Trials! Unless I decide to modify them slightly.
I decided that in all five of them, you are not allowed to use potions. You must invest in, and know how to use, your skills!