Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Looming threat of a US government shutdown

(That will likely happen if neither side smartens up)

First off, here's an article with a bit of information on why the shutdown is probably going to happen and a bunch of information on how it will affect US citizens: NPR

Secondly, what are your opinions on this? I think that both sides are being a bit ridiculous here. First off, from what I've heard, the healthcare laws don't even affect the government's budget, so they seem like a moot point - but they're what the entire issue revolves around. The Republicans want it held off for a year (actually, they want it off the table for good, but they seem to have conceded defeat there... mostly), but the Democrats will refuse to let it go at all. Personally, I'd go for holding it off a year: it doesn't table it completely, but it does give the two sides some time to work it out. Now, discuss, all of you!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Default Re: Looming threat of a US government shutdown

I personally am becoming more and more dismayed at the growing National Debt. Did you guys know that the INTEREST on our nearing 17 trillion dollar debt is greater than the REVENUE of the entire United States Federal Government(By about 200 Billion by the way)? Not to mention the fact that we are already spending more than our revenue anyway. In my opinion with the way spending and the debt is going a government shutdown is not nearly on the scale of where we are heading as we spiral into perpetual debt.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

It 'amuses' me that the USA can't even get to the midterms without the Senate/Congress split pretty much stopping everything. Once again two groups who insist everything must be a R/D issue need to somehow agree so that the government doesn't implode.

Of course, it's fairly unlikely that the US government will stop. Anyone without a 'safe' seat would be handing their political opponents a really strong case against them. Both sides are going to circle around for a while, reach a 'compromise' no-one wants and Obama will be blamed for everything, because how does government even work in the USA?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Julian
Is a ninja

They only have until midnight Monday to decide anything though, and they're both at least saying they won't budge in their opinions. So they probably will shut down, if only for a day or two because after they do, they'll be running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
It 'amuses' me that the USA can't even get to the midterms without the Senate/Congress split pretty much stopping everything. Once again two groups who insist everything must be a R/D issue need to somehow agree so that the government doesn't implode.

Of course, it's fairly unlikely that the US government will stop. Anyone without a 'safe' seat would be handing their political opponents a really strong case against them. Both sides are going to circle around for a while, reach a 'compromise' no-one wants and Obama will be blamed for everything, because how does government even work in the USA?
I agree Hyperme, its preposterous how partisan today's Politics in America have become. It always comes down to some arbitrary political platform. Its like two football teams sitting down and trying to decide who wins the game.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
seamonkey
spoon eater

Also money from corporations who have way too much power. That is all.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Julian
Is a ninja

And the government is now officially shutting down all non-essential services.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Government Shutdown today guys, I'm absolutely disgusted.