Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Non-Hamumu Games

Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Default Bring Horrifying Entertainment

This is a pseudo-BHE event! Wow!

There will be no prizes... Or maybe there will be some yerfbucks for whoever suggests the best game (as rated by us dumb folks!)

Suggest a horror game that we can play. Preferably free, or having a free demo at least. Though all games are welcome.

Pseudo-Rules: You would be well advised to follow these!
1. Keep suggestions Hamumu Appropriate. Blood and guts are fine, cursing and sex less so!
That includes linking to Hamumu-inappropriate websites. If your game can't be accessed any other way, perhaps just give a name and a warning about the site.
2. All entries must be in before October 24th, when a poll might be put up to see what the dumb folk thought was best/most scary.
3. Ummm... More pseudo-rules to come? I wasn't going to make this official, but it seemed to good to lay the groundwork for it to be. And make sure no one gets in trouble by posting inappropriate content.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Bring Horrifying Entertainment

Ao Oni

It's a Japanese game which you can get in Italian, English and other various languages. It's a really scary puzzler.

WARNING: This game is has a bit of gore in it. Gore Level: 3/10

The Upshot of it is a few students decide to enter an abandoned mansion on the outskirts of town because they want to see if the rumor is correct or not about it having a "monster" lurking inside. Well it turns out, the rumor was right.

MY RATING: 8/10 Plate Shards

RTP Package: This may be downloaded and installed for the game to work:
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/...me-packages#xp

SITE #1: SAFE, AS FAR AS I KNOW
SITE #2: UNSURE

Nira Oni is a fan made game, this game is set several years later after their
escape from that horrid mansion in Ao Oni.
SPOILER below, open at your own risk!
Only Hiroshi escaped the mansion, the rest died

UPSHOT: The four students plus two new characters decide once again to check out an abandoned hospital rumored to have a demon walking about. It's like they didn't learn their lesson from the first encounter! Anyway, they enter, Takeshi or whatever his name is faints, the find the doors have locked suddenly, can't open the door, Hiroshi must get some water for that fainted dude, when Hiroshi comes back with water the group is gone. SCARINESS STARTS!

MY RATING: 9/10 Hospital Beds

This game is really scary, it's scarier then the original. I would suggest this if you want a much more scarier puzzler to play at night. Though it sags a bit at certain points where you don't have a clue what to do!

Level Of Gore: 5/10 ; Not for the faint of heart

Level Of Swearing: 4/10
All sites are safe. Though the Nira Oni blog site has a few sexual references. So becareful about that. Also, all the games for Windows only. There is a way to get around that if you have Linux, WINE. For Mac, I'm not quite sure...

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-17-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add screenshots
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Outpost 41

A fan-made knockoff of the ALIENS game, but in a totally different setting. Windows only, sadly.

You have a squad of four crew members, Jenkins, Brock, Cavanaugh and Morris. The objective is to collect all the paintings made by the aliens (why these scary creatures are also artists, I do not know...) and return them to the top floor of the station, where your ship is. They are scattered around the outpost, and are guarded by aliens, which you have to kill. Other, unexpected stuff happens here too, so you have to be really careful!

JUMP-SCARES GALORE HERE: FREQUENCY 6/10!
Almost none of gore however, unless you count that of the aliens!

My Rating: 7/10 Elevator Repair Kits
--------------------------------
Screenies: (click for full size)

Download is here: http://derbian.webs.com/outpost41/index.htm (Site is safe as far as I'm concerned.)

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!

My sister suggested this:

PENUMBRA OVERTURE

UPSHOT: You are a physicist, both you're parents are dead, you're 30 years old. You have an okay life. BUT... you start receiving this letters from your supposedly dead father. They seem to talk about a place in Greenland. So you go there, ignore the fisherman's advice to wait a little longer for the blizzard to pass, get hyperthermia, find an abandoned emergency exit hatch, open it, enter, ladder breaks, scariness starts! Ladders breaking suddenly ensure...

This game requires you to really think in some places, you can't just go running around aimlessly trying to find a result. But if you're really stuck there are always some walkthroughs to help you.

This is a 3D horror in 1st person prespective game. It's really scary with eerie music and I'd say it's worth your $10 bucks.

Check out the trailer: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=uPwQxF99eMk

BUT I MUST WARN YOU, THIS GAME HAS A BIT OF GORE IN IT. BUT THAT"S NOT ALL, JUMP SCARES ARE ALSO PACKED INTO THIS GAME!

Download Demo: http://www.penumbragame.com/demo.php
SITE IS COMPLETELY SAFE

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-21-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

I suggest System shock 2.
It's definitely got gore and psychological scares, but I feel that the setting and the story line make it worth it.
Read: enemies will beg you to put them out of their misery as they attack you.
The blood is more of a "finding corpses and realizing that you're alone" rather than exploding body parts, so its manageable. Those ruin my disbelief anyway.
Like a lot of 2000 games, it doesn't hold the player's hand very much, and initialing learning how to juggle your resources can be frustrating, so its not for everyone.

It's available from Steam and GoG for the $9.99

You can get the reasonably updated System Shock 1 FREE if your dosbox is up for it.
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=211.0
It's not nearly as complex, but its still got a believable atmosphere and story.

If you're not sure about whether it's good or not, just think of it as a "poor man's Bioshock"

Last edited by N64 Lord; 10-20-2013 at 06:47 AM.
N64 Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Home is a unique horror adventure set in a beautifully-realized pixel world. It’s a murder mystery with a twist—because you decide what ultimately happens. Awakened by an oncoming storm, you open your eyes to discover yourself in a strange, dark room—tucked away in a house that’s not yours. As you play the game, it changes—subtly, almost imperceptibly—to reflect your perspective. It's a horror game unlike any other, and as you'll discover, its truths are entirely subjective.
Home is 3 dollars on Steam and is a pretty interesting horror/mystery sort of game. I've played through it a few times and it's new and interesting every time.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Alone In The Dark -_- O_o

It's totally the cult classic of MS-DOS gaming history, I think you can get the whole series for a reasonable price at GOG.com.

UPSHOT: Some dude committed suicide for some unknown reason and you received a cryptic letter sent by him, being a private detective you decide to investigate and the game starts. Not having a clue what to do ensue...

This game is really difficult but at the same time scary in a few places with it's dramatic music, but anyway, here is a two minute play through video, I can't really find a trailer: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=9yTfKIpfEa4

This game is completely family-friendly as it hardly has any gore in it. So safe to play for children from 7+ years of age.

Unfortunately there are no DEMOS avaliable but I think it was a good game to suggest!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
seamonkey
spoon eater

Well there isn't a poll up so I will say Doom even though it's not reeeeallly horror, but I justify it because doom.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I will put up a poll at the end of the day.