Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Loonyland

Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Loonyland 2 any% Speedruns

As some of you may know, I've been doing speedruns of various games for some time now. As there weren't many runs I was focusing on as of late, I decided to pick up a new game to run, which, as you can guess from the title of this thread, was Loonyland 2.

Some of you may have seen Blackduck's runs of the game from awhile back. The main difference between the runs I'm doing and his is that I'm starting mine from a new file, as opposed to in Madcap. This leads to some interesting routing choices - some very useful skills and talents are not viable to use in the run since getting them takes too much time, and the run is heavily influenced by RNG (due to item drops for quests that require certain items). I also end up underlevelled for much of the game - for example, on a normal run I'll be around level 25 when I fight the final boss. For timing purposes, the run starts when the file is created (hitting "Go" on the profile creation screen), and ends at the last hit on HSB.

At the moment, I've done one full run of the game just to test out my route and ensure it's viable and managed a time of 1:43:30. From what I've seen in that run and during routing, I'm pretty sure a time of just under an hour is possible for a perfect run - that is, a run with excellent RNG and good boss fights.

If you're interested in watching me run LL2, I'll be streaming the majority of my runs live on my Twitch channel (http://twitch.tv/sonicchaos1993). I'll be updating this thread whenever I go live if you guys are interested in watching. I'll also put up finished runs here as well for those of you who can't watch live.

Stream Status:

I'll also use this thread to share some of my routes and strategies if anyone would be interested in that.

UPDATE (3/10/14):
New PB of 1:33:24! A good HSB fight saved me over 15 minutes and made up for an absolutely TERRIBLE Gruesome Gardens (where I lost ~7 minutes due to dying to Gourdzilla). Sum of best splits is sub-1:15, which I'm pretty happy about, and that'll be my next goal once I get a sub-1:30 run. Sub-hour definitely seems possible with better RNG and a cleaner route.

The run is saved on my Twitch channel if you wish to see it. Note that due to an OBS issue, the video froze partway through the stream, and I had to restart OBS, which split the run into two parts. This also meant that a small section of the run doesn't have video, as I didn't immediately notice the stream froze. But anyways, the run:
Part 1
Part 2

I plan to stream again either tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday night (the latter is more likely), aiming to clean up Gardens and get that sub-1:30 run.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 03-09-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: 1:33:24!!!
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Yerfdog Re: Loonyland 2 any% Speedruns

I always love seeing more LL2 content!

I feel like skills like Berserk and Gale+Throwing is the best way to kill bosses in LL2 next to Burninate. I'm not sure if you could get enough into throwing in a speedrun to actually make it strong though just like you'd have trouble getting the mana to keep up with Burninate. Potions are also extremely underrated and it would be easy to guarantee you get them in a speed run as long as you spend the time to get the ingredients but the potions wouldn't be able to make with alchemy wouldn't be that great (you'd probably be better off buying the potions but then you need the RNG to give you the correct potions in the shop and they're expensive!)

I feel like it's inevitable that things like looking for Bodzhas and collecting items takes up most of your time (especially since you don't have a talent to make item drops more common), and that things like lucky item drops can wildly change the completion time. However, it's still to try!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Re: Loonyland 2 any% Speedruns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
I always love seeing more LL2 content!

I feel like skills like Berserk and Gale+Throwing is the best way to kill bosses in LL2 next to Burninate. I'm not sure if you could get enough into throwing in a speedrun to actually make it strong though just like you'd have trouble getting the mana to keep up with Burninate. Potions are also extremely underrated and it would be easy to guarantee you get them in a speed run as long as you spend the time to get the ingredients but the potions wouldn't be able to make with alchemy wouldn't be that great (you'd probably be better off buying the potions but then you need the RNG to give you the correct potions in the shop and they're expensive!)

I feel like it's inevitable that things like looking for Bodzhas and collecting items takes up most of your time (especially since you don't have a talent to make item drops more common), and that things like lucky item drops can wildly change the completion time. However, it's still to try!
I do get a couple of points in Berserk in this route, simply because the movement boost is helpful in a lot of places (rushing through to hit switches in Frostburn, for example) and makes moving between places a bit quicker, which mostly makes up for the time needed to get it (though I'd have to do some more timing to be sure of that).

I'd agree that there isn't enough points to make Throwing effective (plus I'd have to take time to get additional throwing skills). On the current route I'm around level 25 by the time I fight HSB, which only gives me just over 40 skill points, many of which have to be invested in defensive skills just to help counter how underlevelled I am towards the end. Most of the remaining points after defensive investment go into Toasties, with a couple of points in Berserk and Restoration. In total there's maybe 9-12 points max that I could afford to put into Gale/Throwing which probably isn't enough to get a high enough damage output to be useful late game.

Burninate might be viable, as I ally with Onion on this route so it's not out of the way to grab, but mana is definitely a concern as it's not as efficient as Toasties.

I do stop at the Magic Box and the shop in the underworld to check for potions a couple of times during the run when I'm nearby (or, in the case of the former, near a fast travel point to get there quickly). Money isn't really an issue after the underworld is completed and there's been a couple times were I was lucky enough to get a high-level Dr. Defector from a shop, which really helped with the final few bosses.

I've also found Guardian amulet drops to be the greatest thing in the world. The ability to not get frozen is huge in the fight against HSB (helps against Frostburn and Melton too), and poison immunity makes the Stinking Bodzhas considerably less annoying.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Coming from someone who's not pro at the game, I remember Dr. Deflector and Brain Juice are vital potions when it comes to bosses.
I use Restoration constantly and put a decent amount of points into it, but Burninate and Toasties are the only magic skills that I try to level up as much as possible.
I've actually never used Berserk which is probably a mistake on my part.

I've only played through about 5 times, and for some reason I've always chosen the Snuggly Bunny order.
Again, this might be a mistake but I've heard it hardly matters which one you choose. Opinions?

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-10-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Coming from someone who's not pro at the game, I remember Dr. Deflector and Brain Juice are vital potions when it comes to bosses.
I use Restoration constantly and put a decent amount of points into it, but Burninate and Toasties are the only magic skills that I try to level up as much as possible.
I've actually never used Berserk which is probably a mistake on my part.

I've only played through about 5 times, and for some reason I've always chosen the Snuggly Bunny order.
Again, this might be a mistake but I've heard it hardly matters which one you choose. Opinions?
It really doesn't matter which faction honestly. I go with the Onion Ring simply because the missions done to reach the Furnace quest all work out really nicely in being pretty close to each other and being near fast travel points that I need to unlock for later in the run, but outside of a speedrun the faction you choose makes no difference. I basically take the "Candy from a Baby", "Highway Robbery", and "Shakedown" quests when first in the Camp, then head to Haunted Highway, smash caravans, shake down the Magic Box (and buy potions if he has any good ones and I have spare cash), fast travel to Eisburg, get candy, shake down the axe shop, shake down the parka shop (and get Asbestos Undies while I'm there), head to the cliffs, shake down the rope shop, then fast travel back to the highway. There's some travel time involved but since I need to fast travel back to the cliffs and highway later on in the run I don't end up losing any time from all the travelling.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Frogdude
Dumb Person

How many points, and when, do you put into Training? Seems like it would be a HUGE help!
Also, my favorite combo is Safety Amulet + Supreme Life-Ade. Makes it so they literally need to get two hits in a single game tick to be able to kill you.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogdude View Post
How many points, and when, do you put into Training? Seems like it would be a HUGE help!
Also, my favorite combo is Safety Amulet + Supreme Life-Ade. Makes it so they literally need to get two hits in a single game tick to be able to kill you.
I don't get Training. The benefit it gives isn't worth the time to get it, since I already have enough points to max Toasties, Defense, and Toughness by the final boss, with several points left over to invest in axes, Berserk, and Restoration. In fact, I usually have 3 skill points left over at the end of the run, simply because they aren't needed anywhere, so for Training to have any use I'd have to take time to get a couple extra skills as well, and most of the skills that would be incredibly useful and fit into the build take too long to get to be worth it.

I haven't timed it, but I'd estimate it'd take around 2 minutes (maybe 3, depending on if the Mimic's cooperate or not) to complete the sidequest needed to get Training, plus time needed to get a skill to invest the additional points in (for example's sake, let's just say 1-2 minutes). That puts the total time spent between 3-5 minutes, so whatever benefit I get from the new skill would have to save at least that much time for Training to be viable, which is a lot of time to make up, and I can't think of any skill that clearly saves that much time throughout the rest of the run that I don't already get.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Frogdude
Dumb Person

Ah, that would do it... I've been playing too much of my in-progress world, in which getting Training can be literally the first thing you do XD
Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

So I somehow managed to get a Fat Crow amulet as a drop from a titan during a run tonight. The run was really bad overall so I didn't end up beating my PB (to my great disappointment), but the amulet ended up saving 5 minutes.

To bad chances of getting it are next to none.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Frogdude
Dumb Person

It's a shame that thing's pretty much worthless on Madcap, since its damage doesn't go up with Madcap Crystals.