Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Default Re: Mathematical Mafia

Hmmm. Spooky. No deaths yet. Also! Look at the crazy negative number. It is real spooky considering someone did something weird, I voted to increase. Which means it isn't possible for it to get to -3 from 6 without power role shenanigans.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
seamonkey
spoon eater

I did nothing to the number. Something other than just the 1-up 1-down stuff has happened.

EDIT: There are two pages. Good to notice these things.

Last edited by seamonkey; 03-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #23
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Anyone have anything?

We've covered a dcent range of numbers, evens, odds, positives, negatives, primes, possibly other potential factors...

So someone is blocking the mafia or protecting the targets. The mafia could be inactive too I guess, but that's not much fun so lets hope it isn't the case.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #24
Megadog
The Demagogue

I'm just going to say, I successfully used my power last night.

I'd love to know if TJ could use his power, or if the number was wrong for him, along with anyone else who has powers. Or at least get an idea of where we want the number to be. I'd prefer it to be even, if possible.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #25
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

I can't really make anything from last night, but I guess pr affecting the numbers and town doctor is likely.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64 Lord View Post
I can't really make anything from last night, but I guess pr affecting the numbers and town doctor is likely.
Maybe one of the nights - I doubt both. More likely mafia couldn't make a kill one or both nights.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

It's possible the Mafia's kill ability is limited by the number somehow, and that's why we haven't seen any action. It seems a possibility that the mafia require a negative number in order to act, but have some way to force the number negative if they need to, which they might have just used, but it's hard to say anything for sure.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #28
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

That restriction might be somewhat broken if they can't make the numbers negative often.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #29
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I believe that the mafia isn't restricted to act only when the number is negative. Because reasons.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #30
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

I'd agree that the chances that the mafia's ability to kill isn't dependent on the number. It's easily broken, and we also have to consider that they haven't killed either night. The number has been 6 and -3 so far, so we've had a situation where the number is positive, where the number is negative, where the number is even, and where the number is odd. Unless the kill restriction is very specific (which would be horribly broken), I'd doubt that the number had an impact on the mafia's ability to kill.

I think everyone in the game has posted at some point (too lazy to actually go back and check) so I doubt inactivity is the reason for the lack of kills. Most likely there was a successful protection or something similar.

As has been pointed out, there clearly is a role that can greatly impact the number, as the jump from 6 to -3 is impossible otherwise. A role that swaps the number from positive to negative (or vice versa) or a role that can add/subtract more than 1 from the number would make the most sense to me,

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #31
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

The number has only been -3 during the day, and not during a night yet, so night powers which require a negative number can't have been used yet.

While I agree that a negative-number mafia restriction seems imbalanced, for a power role to exist that affects the number so drastically there's almost definitely some motivation to having the number very small or very large (the impression I'm getting is most roles care only about even/odd status).

Megadog stated that his power succeeded last night. This could have meant a roleblock on the mafia or a doctor protection. While normally I'd consider these less likely than a mere cop inspection or other simpler role, we're still searching for explanations for the lack of nightkill. Of course Megadog knows what his role is but I doubt we'd reach any significant breakthrough if he revealed it.

Everyone's posted at this point, though Hammer Up and N64 have been quieter than most.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Indeed, my random vote is what spurred HammerUp! Into talking but to be fair there doesn't appear to be a great deal to discuss, it seems oddly quiet so far. And just a couple out there theories I had for no nightkill are.

1) Roleblocker blocked mafia
2) Perhaps town has to make a kill before mafia does?

The first is more plausible but the second is very likely not this case.

In other words number shenanigans.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #33
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
The number has only been -3 during the day, and not during a night yet, so night powers which require a negative number can't have been used yet
Misread hyperme's post talking about it, I was under the impression that it changed before night. Whoops.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #34
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I suspect N64Lord, but the evidence I have to support that is pretty much... Non existant. Certainly nothing I'd vote on.

I'm not sure if nobody has any powers, or nobody has been able to use their powers, or what. It seems like somebody somewhere would have useful info. We've covered a wide array of possible factors for whether or not powers could be used...

I guess perhaps we won't know anything until somebody is dead.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #35
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
I'd agree that the chances that the mafia's ability to kill isn't dependent on the number. It's easily broken, and we also have to consider that they haven't killed either night.
I'm not convinced of this. I think it could be pretty difficult to figure out the rules for using roles unless given. I think it's probably not "has to be negative" cuz that IS easily broken, but something where we can't have everyone spam plus or minus each night is plausible. As you point out, there have been two no-kills which (IMO), seems to support the theory that mafia kills are predicated off of the number.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #36
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

What do 6 and -3 have in common? And how how did someone shenanigans it to subtract more than normal? Maybe it will help if we can figure out also who added and who subtracted.

I added 1 last night.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #37
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

I didn't add nor did I subtract.

Last edited by Hammer Up!; 03-26-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Hammer Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #38
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Not much of anything happens as the sun sets.

Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Megadog
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

The Magic Number is currently -3.

It is Night 3. Deadline in 48 hours.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #39
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Oh no! Megadog was killed. He was a Tracker-Follower Hybrid. He could find out who someone targeted or what action they performed, depending on the Magic Number.

Living Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

Dead People:

Megadog - Tracker/Follower

The Magic Number is currently 4.

Day Four! 120 hour deadline! With 7 alive, it is four to lynch.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #40
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Well, our first death. Megadog, last gasp to us who you targeted on which nights?