Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Yerfdog HamPlatformer

Hey everyone! So as some of you know, long ago I worked on a multiplayer Hamumu-themed platformer known as HamPlatformer which eventually died because I couldn't keep mantaining its incredibly terrible code. Slightly less long ago I started working on a recode from scratch, and while I made very slow progress, I never got to a point I was comfortable releasing it publicly.

Now things have changed a little, though. While I still don't think it's time to release anything, it is time to see what people have to say. It's been a long time I've worked on the game and even based on the notes I have left I'm not really sure what direction I want to take the design. Now, I'm not talking about the engine - that's actually pretty stable in my opinion. In fact, have some screenshots:

You can't tell from these but the multiplayer is fairly stable and functional. As you can tell, however, there's not a whole lot of actual game. That's where I'm looking for community input. I have a lot of interesting notes about the way level progression, unlocking and customizing new offensive capabilities, but to be honest they're incredibly overcomplicated and not worth explaining here because they're never going to make it into the game. Instead of that, let's start fresh.

The basic concept, to restate, is a Hamumu-themed platformer game where you play as your Hamumu avatar. Everything else - the specific weapons you use, the specific monsters you face, the environments, the combat mechanics, the progression so on aren't decided. Even the lobby system I have right now could easily be changed. Don't take anything in the screenshots as final, either - graphics or level design or monsters. I want to try and keep any design simple - something actually achievable in a reasonable time rather than a grand overarching thing that will never happen.

To that end, I have a simple plan to try and get something available to actually play (but don't take this as final either): the Hammer as the only weapon. No progression system. One environment (not sure which) from a Hamumu game and three or so enemies from that environment. And finally, a very simple random level generator that matches that environment (with just enough supporting tiles to make it look and play decently). From there, though, I need you folks to help me out, because I'm not sure about the specifics of the combat or gameplay pacing yet.

Forgive me for the wall of text, hopefully I didn't forget anything. I'm open to all thoughts and ideas. Of course any help with things like art that I'm terrible at is welcome.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default Re: HamPlatformer

I am all in for doing art, I have experience with GIMP and I would like to work on new graphics for your forum game.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

sm do you know how I feel about this

do you even know
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

I'd try to help, but I'm bad at game design and at art. At least I'll make sure I'll play it when it's done
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

All joking aside, this is awesome. I'm curious, what has been added to the game so far? Like, are there any enemies yet? Because the first thing I think of when somebody says hamumu-ey monster is a Mummy. :P
Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
FlatOutLie
Cake

If I could... could I join the art team??? As long as you program the G.U.I I would be happy to do the art for it
Along with ChessManiac I have experiance in Gimp as well its a really good program for art

Last edited by FlatOutLie; 07-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
FlatOutLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I hope we're able to get enough community input on this, as we have much less people now than we did 5 years ago.

Speaking of community input, SM, what kind of stuff do you need from us?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

It returns!

I didn't play this much when it was stable and existent but it was awesome! Really excited to see where this goes. I think having a stable platform that doesn't crash and works is far more important than interesting mechanics. I think a sort of co-op thing like TGPF would be awesome, simple monsters that 1 or 2 people can kill are fairly common, when more people join we have higher chances of more difficult monsters spawning (I want TGPF back D. Drops would be cool but I imagine they would be low priority for now. I wonder if you could incorporate this with the Hamumu servers, perhaps add trophies and valuable drops (monster cards?) in the future. Really excited though!
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
valuable drops (monster cards?)
I fully support this.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
I am all in for doing art, I have experience with GIMP and I would like to work on new graphics for your forum game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOutLie View Post
If I could... could I join the art team??? As long as you program the G.U.I I would be happy to do the art for it
Along with ChessManiac I have experiance in Gimp as well its a really good program for art
I appreciate the interest! My main request is that you're able to match the style of the avatar pieces. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted in this thread when I think I need art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
All joking aside, this is awesome. I'm curious, what has been added to the game so far? Like, are there any enemies yet? Because the first thing I think of when somebody says hamumu-ey monster is a Mummy. :P
The Megadogs and Moltanems shown in the final screenshot are the only enemies at present, and they've no combat mechanics, they just navigate around the environment in a fairly simple way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
I hope we're able to get enough community input on this, as we have much less people now than we did 5 years ago.

Speaking of community input, SM, what kind of stuff do you need from us?
I'm looking for what mechanics and content are most important to people. Currently I'm looking for what environment people are most interested in, and the 2-4 enemies from that environment that are most important. Spooky Forest is classic of course, but maybe people want something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
I didn't play this much when it was stable and existent but it was awesome! Really excited to see where this goes. I think having a stable platform that doesn't crash and works is far more important than interesting mechanics. I think a sort of co-op thing like TGPF would be awesome, simple monsters that 1 or 2 people can kill are fairly common, when more people join we have higher chances of more difficult monsters spawning (I want TGPF back D. Drops would be cool but I imagine they would be low priority for now. I wonder if you could incorporate this with the Hamumu servers, perhaps add trophies and valuable drops (monster cards?) in the future. Really excited though!
Yeah, co-op is the idea. TGPF is one of the big inspirations. I've been spending time making sure that the codebase is solid, but I definitely at least want to have something that feels like a game before I release anything. I've always liked the idea of having more people online leading to situations that actually make use of that many people. I was thinking about including consumable items (classics like Chinese Food and Cherry Bombs) as drops that only last in-level but that can wait until later. I hadn't thought about drops that persist in a major way, but it could be fun.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

For world building, other than the original five dr. lunatic style worlds, I'd say spooky/halloween is the most Hamumu theme.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
For world building, other than the original five dr. lunatic style worlds, I'd say spooky/halloween is the most Hamumu theme.
Yeah, I think I agree. Perhaps a vaguely Spooky Forest theme with Bonehead, Zombie, and Mumble (which is desert/spooky) enemies would make sense.

In less exciting news, I'm working on recoding parts of the game to simplify the code, so here's a preview of the updated launcher (it looked similar to this before I recoded it but was a little less pretty):
Old 07-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Yeah, I think I agree. Perhaps a vaguely Spooky Forest theme with Bonehead, Zombie, and Mumble (which is desert/spooky) enemies would make sense.

In less exciting news, I'm working on recoding parts of the game to simplify the code, so here's a preview of the updated launcher (it looked similar to this before I recoded it but was a little less pretty):
Awesome!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
FlatOutLie
Cake

Could we maybe have a uniqe leveling system
I.E
When your lvl. 2
you can level up the monsters you fight so they drop better loot

I think this could help with making it so the game is never to boring and not to easy to progress

-----EDIT-----

Also Should I start on converting mumble from 3D to 2D now?

Last edited by FlatOutLie; 07-15-2014 at 07:06 AM.
FlatOutLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOutLie View Post
Could we maybe have a uniqe leveling system
I.E
When your lvl. 2
you can level up the monsters you fight so they drop better loot

I think this could help with making it so the game is never to boring and not to easy to progress

-----EDIT-----

Also Should I start on converting mumble from 3D to 2D now?
I'll keep the suggestion in mind when working on a progression system.

And sure! I'd love to see what you can come up with. If you need hints on style, I'd say keep to something pixelly feeling, that meshes with the Hamumu avatars. Since a Mumble is traditionally human-sized, fitting it in a 24 x 32 space would be best, I think.

Almost done with the stability improvements, so here's a screenshot of the chat functionality (boring, I know):
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
FlatOutLie
Cake

Wow nice work on that chat anyways Ill start on the mumble :3
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I meant to post this yesterday but somehow failed - hammers flying and placeholder enemy graphics! I've added hammers actually hitting things since this screenshot but it's not particularly cool-looking yet.

Last edited by SpaceManiac; 07-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up HamPlat

If I remember correctly there was that whole racing mini-game you were working on in hamplat. That would be fun if it was finished - something like that old flash game Platform Racing. Maybe incorporate Yougos or something.

The important thing to add is anything that makes it fun to play multiple times. It might be a bit hard to do but you could use gameplay ideas from costume party or growtopia.
Maybe consider a quest/achievement system, or trophies of some sort to get people to play. A wide selection of items would be fun as well.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 07-18-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #19
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

Default Re: HamPlat

Oh, I remember that. I even did a couple race maps. I think that's a good idea, racing was fun.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #20
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Default Re: HamPlat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
If I remember correctly there was that whole racing mini-game you were working on in hamplat. That would be fun if it was finished - something like that old flash game Platform Racing. Maybe incorporate Yougos or something.

The important thing to add is anything that makes it fun to play multiple times. It might be a bit hard to do but you could use gameplay ideas from costume party or growtopia.
Maybe consider a quest/achievement system, or trophies of some sort to get people to play. A wide selection of items would be fun as well.
Yeah, the racing minigame thing was entertaining. I like the idea of incorporating Yougos somehow. I agree that an important focus is replayability and I have vague plans for future progression fun which I will elaborate on when they become more relevant, but for now I'm trying to keep things simple. In my mind each level should feel like a quest, but some side stuff (or quests lasting longer than a level) would be fun. Achievements/trophies are a good motivator when done well also.

Some new screenshots! Things are getting spookier and forestier, and the level generation is getting more interesting.