Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
tyconger191
Badguy

Default End of the World Scenarios

1. World becomes completely mechanized.
2. An AI runs the whole world.
3. We are forcibly fused with machinery and eat fake food to survive.
4. The AI downloads all of our thoughts and memories.
5. The machinery causes us to live in fake realities, separate from the real world.
6. We receive happiness in those fake realities.
7. Something goes horribly wrong and the AI becomes evil.
8. The AI has access to every single person's thoughts and memories and searches for their greatest fears.
9. The AI makes every single nightmare, a reality!
10. We are all doomed, forever.

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

Default Re: End of the World Scenarios

I think people attached to a simulation machine ( or chemically altering their metabolism so they can do the same things through meditation and dreams) are bound to lose their humanity eventually. The fateful moment always comes when they realize that all the people in their new world are ultimately derived from how they themselves once thought people were like, and once that is made, not only will life become predictable, but all other people could (in a stylized version) morph into walking mirrrors.

I take it for granted that either of these would be addicting on account of blatant achievement of closely held desires. Also that a simulated mental world could cover a thousand years in a single heartbeat of realtime (although this is optional and unimportant to the amount of psycholgical damage). More stable indivduals could dream of world's where they can still die, and then continue in a reincarnated world (still hooked to the machine) and after going through a few times they would probably permanently lose ability to grasp the concept of death should be removed.

Newness and chance are widely considered essential human qualities, the novelist Dostevesyky has a character describe angels as being the most accursed creatures on account of their inability to fail making the need to act the carrying out of anything into an empty agenda, and most likely such creatures would hang around inactive due to the "already reachable" quality of everyhing. The twilight zone has a "heaven" appear in episode "a nice place to visit" where every wish of the inhabitant is granted, but the lack of danger (of failure) causes each thing to be empty. Finally, in H.G. Well's Time machine, the total advancement of science and comfort led humanity to complacency and made intelligence unneseccesary to survival.

Even if the simulation is not so direct as to mold itself around the user, say the pre-fab utopia or cowboy worlds in Lobotomy Now... It could still turn sour if you ever connected feelings of deja vu with how high the chance of what will go right tends to happen according to what should go right. Like the explanation in the first Matrix movie that the world humans were trapped in was a paradise, but it led to a high number of escapees and wild discontent of humans remaining inside after a quarter generation so they changed it to something too normal not to be real.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

Mental torture dosen't dehumanize the victims. Complacency not only gets them out of the way, but gradually transforms them into a race whose very name invokes the idea of being slaughtered ( livestock)

Think about it.
On a farm
A cow has all its needs met.
Does not need to work to get showered with pleasing items.
Is taken away to a meat processing plant for a single "bad event" in its life, which at any rate is sudden and is never reflected over afterwards.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

http://www.veddma.com/veddma/Veldt.htm Fascinating look at some of what you gays have discussed. The Veldt - Deadmau5 is based off of this and how I originally found the short story. Within the next 10-100 years, robot intelligence is expected to surpass human intelligence. While this could have far reaching negative consequences, common coding logic heavily implies that this point is of little significance and hitting the off switch is easily the most efficient way to end the situation. Unless, of course, human existence is reliant entirely upon said computer. Then a bug or hack seems like a major issue...
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Every single person in the world becomes clinically depressed, and shoots themselves.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

Ray Bradbury has a lot of good ones. I have to agree that the chief concern about machinery is not that it will develop needs, but that we will just keep wanting to use it at the expense of the older generation and their values.

Physical destruction is also more likely to come from a human bomb than nature. The following are nature's biggest weapons.

Yellowstone Park:
the mountains surronding the park are actually the walls of a caldera... A previous eruption is linked to global ash fallout that thinned the human gene pool and lead to the present lack of diversity, and pre continent eruptions occured on scales that are frankly unimangingable. Although eruptions are an average of 60,000 year apart and it has been 63.000 years since the last one, evidence shows that the magma chamber under the park has been releasing instead of trapping its fluids like it needs to for such an event.

Meteors
Most burn up in atmosphere, a good number are harmless sized metorites, the occasional one is big enough to level a russian forest, and a really big one can throw up enough dirt to cause the same amount of damage as yellowstone would. Either explosion would cause extreme geologic activity, likely setting off lesser volcanos, move fault lines, and earthquakes for most of the planet. Massive contamnination of water sources and climate change would be how most life died out. Whether that's better than the instant vaporization faced by those within 40 miles of impact is subjective

Mediterranean Island:
I forgot the name, but there's an island that has several kilo-acres of loose cliff poised to slip into the ocean. This would lead to most of the east coast of the US being waterlogged for 14-38 months. Considering that the stock exchange and government buildings are there, massive amounts of economic and social changes would occur.

Antarctic:
Global warming is set to raise the levels of the ocean. It has also thrown the earth off it's minor-major ice age schedule. India, North africa, East coast of US, and other countries are known to only be 6 degrees change in average global temperature from sinking. Animal and plant variety would suffer as well. Starvation afterwards would be of major concern.

Huxley's Return
Famously predicting that human population would outgrow food prodcution. Huxley failed to take into account importing and exporting, and justifiably had no idea of the green revolution that lead to today's advances in bulk farm products. However, if one of the above major disasters, (or a large war) was partially stopped, then food supply would be low for several parts of the world, and anarchy and rioting would occur on levels seen only in post apockalpyse movies due to delays in transporting food to non-agricultural or spoiled agricultural areas.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Scientists who can't grasp a sentence of wisdom which has a grain of salt!

The electric clock struck eight!
"I better go with all the others and start the experiment!", said the senior scientist in a snide remark.
Who walked down the long corridors and marveled at the impressive feat of what the human race designed, the Large Hadron Collider!
He went back to his desk to get his coffee, but something surprised him, there was a man standing in front of his desk, he said the following...
"You are such a careless man, you would put a whole planet to death just to satisfy your curiosity, shame, shame!"
"Out of my way,this machine is safe, GUARDS!!"
"Have you ever thought that some things are better left for later times, if you don't understand something with a bit of understanding?"
The scientist sat on his chair, and began to ponder about what the mysterious man said, but he just couldn't grasp it, the guards came quickly down, and took the man back to the surface.
The experiment went as normal, but there was no home for the scientists to go to. Everything was in such such great light. Hawking Radiation is just a theory, not a law.

Last edited by ChessManiac; 07-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #8
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
Hawking Radiation is just a theory, not a law.
If you mean what I think you mean, you want "Hawking Radiation is just a hypothesis, not a theory."

Theory is the absolute highest an idea can be. A law is simply a mathematical model, which the theory describes.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
Scientists who can't grasp a sentence of wisdom which has a grain of salt!

The electric clock struck eight!
"I better go with all the others and start the experiment!", said the senior scientist in a snide remark.
Who walked down the long corridors and marveled at the impressive feat of what the human race designed, the Large Hadron Collider!
He went back to his desk to get his coffee, but something surprised him, there was a man standing in front of his desk, he said the following...
"You are such a careless man, you would put a whole planet to death just to satisfy your curiosity, shame, shame!"
"Out of my way,this machine is safe, GUARDS!!"
"Have you ever thought that some things are better left for later times, if you don't understand something with full accuracy?"
The scientist sat on his chair, and began to ponder about what the mysterious man said, but he just couldn't grasp it, the guards came quickly down, and took the man back to the surface.
The experiment went as normal, but there was no home for the scientists to go to. Everything was in such such great light. Hawking Radiation is just a theory, not a law.
I almost have no words.

Almost!

science:

1. the point of a scientific experiment is to better understand things. not performing one because you don't understand it to 'full accuracy' is literally counterproductive.
2. particle colliders aren't new things. if the LHC would kill us all when used, we'd of stopped building them after Birmingham (or another large university) got destroyed. (which it didn't)
3. hawking radiation might be a hypothesis but the kind of stuff you find in particle colliders decays due to being unstable anyway
4. a black hole with the mass of the earth would be the size of a marble. so since gravity is incredibly weak compared to the other three fundamental forces, you probably need to be actively trying to create a black hole to make one, since strong force and electromagnetic fields are going to have huge effect at the subatomic level.

writing:

1. do people you know generally announce what they're about to do in snide remarks?
2. a senior particle physicist is unable to grasp a fairly obvious message? I find this unbelievable.
3. mystery man also forgoes a clear warning for acting crazy. however, he is clearly able to predict the result of a high level particle experiment.
4. basically, the character's stated and implied intelligence is in contradiction to their actions. this would be similar to stating someone is a pacifist yet having them gleefully murder your primary antagonist.

Last edited by hyperme; 07-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
tyconger191
Badguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconger191 View Post
1. World becomes completely mechanized.
2. An AI runs the whole world.
3. We are forcibly fused with machinery and eat fake food to survive.
4. The AI downloads all of our thoughts and memories.
5. The machinery causes us to live in fake realities, separate from the real world.
6. We receive happiness in those fake realities.
7. Something goes horribly wrong and the AI becomes evil.
8. The AI has access to every single person's thoughts and memories and searches for their greatest fears.
9. The AI makes every single nightmare, a reality!
10. We are all doomed, forever.
Backstory:

This takes place in a futuristic world, the crime has gotten much worse and on a much larger scale. As a result they removed the ability to do any crime by eliminating freedom in the real world and fusing mankind to machinery, so that man could live in virtual realities. In this future the world is so technologically advanced that nature was forgotten and is now regarded as a myth that people occasionally hear about through rumors. As a result an evil scientist altered the machinery and committed crime just before eternal mechanized peace could occur. The AI became evil because of that scientist. I say eternal because what started the boom in inventions that created this future was an immortality pill that was invented, which allowed for people to have infinite time to expand on their creative ideas and invent new things, this sped up the journey to the inevitable doomed future mankind would face. Energy would be somehow cloned in a way we can't comprehend, allowing for infinite power for the giant machine that was the earth. The earth being a metal ball now, rather than a planet would be quite depressing realistically.

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

Reminds me of the Cowboy Bebop episode where they track down the SCRATCH organization. Of course unending torture is a classic version of the netherworld, but besides writers or philosophers seeing unending peace as crippling and ironic to the human spirit in its attempt to make pleasure absolute, sometimes its not even a hidden aim, for example, in the Dune series the character known as
Paul
eventually decides to punish the human race by enforcing centuries of peace upon them. Its not neccesary to ensure his rule and he does it explicitly so the next generation will form a counterculture against the idea of a "garden of harmony" style eden.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Beginning one day, every person on Earth explodes the moment they are looked at by another human being. In a graveyard of a major city, two people try to maintain their sanity while isolating themselves from each other and the outside world. They cannot look at each other, but must eventually learn to trust each other to communicate by passing notes and talking through walls or be doomed to lack of interaction. They cannot be certain that someone outside of their own territory is not going to invade and they don't know if there are still people remaining in the city who have already isolated themselves to the point that they survive.
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DON'T KNOW!! Can you say with 100% full confidence that a black hole the size of the marble won't destroy the whole world. We don't know everything in the universe! We would like to think we are the most superior beings but you don't know! Do you know why the magnetic polls flip? You don't know!

Although my post may not be to your standards in terms of semantics and sense, can you say with full confidence that it won't have any huge consequences?
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 AM   #14
Megadog
The Demagogue

Just because we don't have absolute knowledge, doesn't mean we can't 'know' how something will work to a decent degree. How do you know that you won't destroy the universe when you read this sentence? You don't. But the overwhelming majority of information you have suggests that it won't. Similarly, by observing how objects act we can extrapolate and determine the properties of other, similar objects. We understand the forces at work behind these phenomena, and we can accurately calculate their effects on everything else. This is how we 'know' that a small black hole wouldn't be able to destroy the Earth.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
FlatOutLie
Cake

Someone will roll a 1 sided die thus collapsing time and space
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOutLie View Post
Someone will roll a 1 sided die thus collapsing time and space
So playing football breaks the universe?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
FlatOutLie
Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
So playing football breaks the universe?
what?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOutLie View Post
what?
A sphere is a one sided dice if Ive ever seen one.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
FlatOutLie
Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
A sphere is a one sided dice if Ive ever seen one.
Type in ham chat /roll 1
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Ah, thats right, Hamchat, the one and only guide for 100% true information!