Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
tyconger191
Badguy

Default Doctor Who, August 23rd!

Season 8 of Doctor Who begins on August 23rd.
This is just a friendly (reminder/awareness) for fans.
Be prepared to see the new Doctor replacing that boring Matt Smith guy that nobody liked!

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: Doctor Who, August 23rd!

Hey! I liked Matt Smith! But David Tenant will always be my Doctor :3

Cant wait, just finished watching all of Christifor Ecchilson, (oh you, Jack), so Ive sen all the "Modern" seasons now. (except Cartoon Dreamland. That just looks SOOOOO bad).

Peter Capaldi looks pretty cool as well, from the trailer it looks like he's gonna try to fix some of the mistakes hes made in the past, which will be awesome. Just the premise that allows this 13th doctor to exist sets up so many interesting ideas. Is this the doctors last life? Will he try and reconnect to the timelords now that he realizes they don't hate him that much? Im guessing no to both of these, but i may be wrong.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconger191 View Post
that boring Matt Smith guy that nobody liked!
no u.

also moffat is still writing why his plot lines are overly complex and self-congratulatory.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

y dis not in general blabber
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
tyconger191
Badguy

It begins tonight

Old 08-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
tyconger191
Badguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
y dis not in general blabber
Total Mayhem and General Blabber seem somewhat the same. Considering this was more of an announcement than a discussion, I felt it would be more suitable for a thread with little rules.

Last edited by tyconger191; 08-23-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
tyconger191
Badguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
Hey! I liked Matt Smith! But David Tenant will always be my Doctor :3

Cant wait, just finished watching all of Christifor Ecchilson, (oh you, Jack), so Ive sen all the "Modern" seasons now. (except Cartoon Dreamland. That just looks SOOOOO bad).

Peter Capaldi looks pretty cool as well, from the trailer it looks like he's gonna try to fix some of the mistakes hes made in the past, which will be awesome. Just the premise that allows this 13th doctor to exist sets up so many interesting ideas. Is this the doctors last life? Will he try and reconnect to the timelords now that he realizes they don't hate him that much? Im guessing no to both of these, but i may be wrong.
How would you rate the Doctors, excluding the classic ones?
I would rate them like this:

1st place: David Tennant
2nd place: Christopher Eccleston
3rd place: Matt Smith

David Tennant seemed to be the most entertaining to me. He seemed to have a perfect balance of seriousness and wackiness, when he was serious he did a good job and when he was wacky he did a good job to me this was the most lovable doctor.

Christopher Eccleston seemed to be mostly serious rather than wacky in my opinion, he was very good at being serious and his roles involving drama were outstanding.

Matt Smith to me lacked a lot. I thought he was very wacky, but his roles involving drama seemed very poor to me. That is my personal opinion. I feel that he was unbalanced in the fact that he was mostly wacky.

Special review on the very first Doctor who episodes:

I thought William Hartnell was very mysterious and entertaining. I also liked the teachers Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterton. However I strongly disliked Susan. Susan's story was never resolved and she simply just vanished from the show. Also with her being the granddaughter of the Doctor, I expected her to be much different than she was, yet she highly disappointed me. I favored all the other characters over Susan and very strongly disliked her. The daleks had been way different in these early episodes, but surprisingly their appearance remained almost exactly the same.

Message to anyone who sees this...

For whatever reason I find television most suitable in the winter when you are trapped inside. It also is higher quality to watch television at night because that gives you more reason to stay inside and it also keeps light from making things harder to watch. Now, I know the old Doctor Who episodes may be ridiculous and incredibly cheesy, but they still manage to take you on imaginative adventures like the ones today. If you are a fan of Doctor Who, you might enjoy the classic Doctor Who episodes. I think you can buy them from the TardisCore or something like that on the internet and if you are like me you probably want to find out the backstory of Doctor Who. It is best to watch the episodes with a buddy too. As I do!

Look forward to tonight's episode!

Last edited by tyconger191; 08-23-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

woo woo! Review and opionions spoilers!

AWESOME! Id been hyped for this for a while and it didnt dissapoint. Dinosaur in london was an excellent subplot even though it seemed like the main storyline. Good to see strax and lizard human people again. Clara was cool. The silly dialogue that i like about Dr. Who was there ("My eyes, yeah, they're my greatest gift" "I accept") Nice to see it reference another episode (The girl in the fireplace, season 3 IIRC, went back and watched this one again to see if there was any overly in depth analysis i could make from it) Capaldi was awesome but took a while to get going, with the memory loss and all. Awesome :3, looking forward to next week

Also tyconger, id rate them the same way, but with Eccelson and Matt Smith about equal.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

I have opinions!

The Good

Peter Capaldi was good. He made the episode work. All the Doctor scenes were good, none of this crying nonsense Ten had. More serious than Eleven, but that was expected.

Clara continued to not be in love with the Doctor. Repeatably.

Once it actually got going, the plot was pretty good. It actually managed to tear itself free of Moffat moffating!

Surprise 11! People who say Matt Smith can't be serious continue in their wrongness. This include Moffat, who thinks cracks are spookier than 10 hanged men and a noose.

The Bad

Moffat literally ripped off his own story. I'm not saying he's running out of ideas now, just that he's running out of good ones.

Return of the Revenge of the Victorian Three. Yes, you made a good idea Mr. Moffat. Please stop running it into the ground.

'lol Clara is egomaniac control freak so funny!'. no. bad moffat. Peter Capaldi plays that character.

Basically I don't like Moffat's bad writing, which is bad.

The Ugly?

Mystery Woman! This can go either way, depending on whether we get another tangled, confusing multi-year plot arc that goes nowhere fast.

Next Time...

Daleks? Already? At least they aren't the big end boss like RTD always made them.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

The Clara control freak part was SOOOO forced. I cringed. Its been a while since i saw the last of Matt Smith, but could Mystery women be River Song? Did River die in the Library episode? Could she have re-incarnated as this women? Alternativly, Clara from the future, a twist on the impossible girl idea? She travels through time and makes sure the Doctor is able to revert his mistakes? Could she even be impossible girl Clara, simply effected by the time stream to look older? Also, I like the massive plot arcs. So far none have really failed to live up to the curiosity/hype/suspese, but that could change. Onwards to Dalek episode!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

I don't know much about doctor who, but my two new roomates (and the people they invite over) are watching it all the time. I have seen a few random classic episodes (whatever the local library had for rent and didn't cost money)

I watched with them last night though, so I can agree that clara didn't come off well. I don't really think charthers being told to do that works for anyone unless they are specifically made for that part alone. Mainly because it leads to dialogue where one guy will be figuratively throwing a bone to another to get them to say the "right' response.

Last edited by N64 Lord; 08-25-2014 at 11:34 AM.
N64 Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Eww. Bad episode. The whole idea of going inside the dalek was lame and cliched, and they never gave a good reason for it. They didn't need to go inside to communicate with it yet the whole episode revolved around communicating with said dalek. Once we were inside the dalek, we realized that Dalek engineering is terribly inefficient. Way to much empty space. Why not pack that empty space with awesome tech? The whole inside was far far to convenient, nicely mini human sized opening and stuff. Cliched falling down pipe. The memory banks have no reason for being operated like that. Neuroscience doesn't work that way Capaldi. Not sure how the dalek was able to go full ham on all the other daleks and win a 1 v 10. Ending was very nice though, took the episode from being terrible to poor. Is the doctor a good man?

Last edited by Gigacat; 08-31-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #13
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

I continue to have opinions!

The Good

"She's my carer. She cares so I don't have to." Good scene.

More good acting from the Doctor and Clara.

The idea of a 'good Dalek' was at least interesting.

Is the Doctor a good man? Big questions!

The Bad

oh no.

I am not tuning in for Clara's amazing dating adventures.

'We must entiny ourselves and go in the Dalek' wow that was dumb.

Why do Daleks even have convenient walkways?

Anti-bodies are not just mini Daleks. It should be Daleks all the way down.

Speaking of anti-bodies, why couldn't they repair the Dalek?

And why did they open the door and let the Dalek out? Stupid humans.

The Ugly

Missy intensifies. Heaven is apparently a National Trust property. This still isn't going places.

Next Time...

Is it Cybermen? It better not be Cybermen!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I doubt itll be cybermen, just generic filler episode. Heaven looks an awfull lot like the place Amy Pond got stuck in and grew really old. I cant remember if that place was a hospital, if it was, could the people be taken there just before death, recover and wake up in "heaven"? I seriously doubt Dr. Who would canonize life after death or rebirth or whatever.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Oh no opinions!

The Good

Everything!

Clara being all effectual.

The Doctor's insistence that no, there is no Robin Hood while the guy is right there.

Spoonfight!

Arrowfight!

Swordfight!

Basically everything was really dumb but in a good way. None of this trying to be super cereal and just ending up lame.

The Bad

Uh, the beard? Maybe?

The Ugly

<arc stuff did not appear>

Next Time...

It's going to be a scary one maybe.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Solid episode. Top notch banter between doctor and hoodsie, well paced and written ect. Only major dislike was the logic of the ship, but thats just me being me (silver can conduct as well, why do the things need to be so thick, how does firing an arrow at a ship benifit the ship in any plausible way?) Next episode looks like a spookerino, yay :3
Old 09-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I have no idea what to think... Started off awesome, looked like it could be an epic episode. But then all of a sudden it was all just Clara... Was it ALL Clara? Theres heaps of room for a new species fitting in with what the Doctor described, especially since we never found out what was under the blanket, although there was also room for it to just be a kid... But then we get war Doctor. That puts my view of the whole episode from a different point of view. Obviously the last explanation scene wasnt on earth, how do they know about time lords? If so, it's probably on Gallifrey. Who was that last kid? a descendant of pink? If so, how? How far forward/back in time is it? How did he get there? How did he become a timelord? Could it possibly be the master before he looked into the vortex? Was it War Doctor (somehow...)? That seems to make the most sense to me, also gives a reason for the Doctor questioning the existence of this creature. Could it possibly be actual Doctor before he peered into the void? Hence setting him apart from other timelords?

Once these question get answered I imagine the episode will be epic. I always like big revelation/backstory episodes. As for the episode by itself, too many unanswered questions to have it as epic as it could be. Next episode looks like one of those big behind the scenes conspiracy that noone wants to face cos its too big and scary, yay.

EDIT:

Never mind, im just an idiot. Seems like the kid was the doctor, suggesting that the thing under the blanket was just a kid. Very much liked this episode.

Last edited by Gigacat; 09-13-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Hey look, opinions!

The Good

Man Capaldi is good. That opening speech about perfect hiders was really well done.

Clara was good as well.

The episode was fairly good at building the atmosphere. The mystery slowly came together, with the whole end of the universe idea being pretty clever.

Until it was ruined, the idea was great. Really, really great.

The Bad

MAXIMUM ANTICLIMAX

Seriously, Moffat gets back to why he was considered good, then completely sells out the idea for a stupid 'oh ho the doctor is just scared by clara' nonsense.

Even worse, the problem is launched via a time loop. Blink was clever with the time trickery. This wasn't.

Additionally, no explanation is offered for the chalk thing. At least in Sherlock it would be part of the clever solution.

The Ugly

With actually no arc stuff in this episode, plot weirdness will instead be in 'The Ugly'

What about the Silent and Vashta Nerada? Both of these explain the episodes central mystery. The Silent are the direct solution, but the Vasgta Nerada fit into the 'monster is the dark' theme.

So if that was a kid under the sheet, why did they keep up the ruse when the Doctor started, well, Doctoring?

Next Time...

Liars, Guns and Money: A Not so Simple Plan

(aka the bank robbery episode with Doctor Who twist.)

Last edited by hyperme; 09-14-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: RIVER SONG!
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I really hope they add some conclusion to last weeks episode, too many loose ends.

Very good episode. I predicted from that start that the architect would be the doctor. Also predicted that the people wouldnt be dead after the suicide tube. Not sure how the clone-woman really fit into it all. Was her regret that she didnt free the mind reader thing? Multiple timelines confuses me. Also, what were the things that the doctor and Clara wanted? I can understand the doctor wanting to free the mind-reader, but what did Clara want? Didnt they all get what they wanted most? Or was it just part of the doctor trying to get computer dude and clone woman on his side for the heist. Someone needs to mod this into Payday 2 :P Still great episode though.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #20
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Onions?

Last Time...

They robbed a bank and used time trickery well. Kind of average.

(now talking about The Caretaker from this point on.)

The Good

Lots of fun parts.
Acting still good I guess.
Okay Mr. Pink winding up the Doctor was fun times.

The Bad

Doctor Who isn't a soap. It shouldn't be a soap. Moffat is a bad person for trying to make it a soap.
Some of that dialogue was awkward and bad.

The Ugly

It's Chris Addison! He's traded his insurance job for a job in 'The Nethersphere'. Spooky?

Next Time...

Xenomorph spiders on the Moon. Yaaaaay.