Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Post Can We Believe The "Experts"?

Statistics are buzzing all over the internet that behaviourial "experts" have done several studies that show that men with beards are several times more likely to cheat their partners and participate in illegal activities than their clean shaven counterparts.

Is there bias here?

I think yes. What comes to mind when you think of clean shaven men?





The US soldier! Prided with being sharp, clean shaven, reliable, trustworthy, loyal and always ready for duty. It's also interesting how in movies, the steady and hardworking characters are those without beards such as in one of the recent Superman movies where he is clean shaven. Have you also noticed that in Iron Man Tony Stark while a genius is a drunk and a wisecrack; but the curious thing is that he has some facial hair.

It's very interesting that these "official and legit experts" who specialise in the "behavourial sciences" would be pushing such supposedly "true" statistics. I think it's simply bias, similar to sexual and racial discrimination. It's also very provoking that they would come up with such "facts" since the USA is still tied in a war with "Islamic terrorists". As you would notice from being around many Arabs, a lot of them have beards.

Last edited by REACTOR; 06-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

Is anyone else reminded of the diner scene from the (not hamumu appropriate) movie Black Dynamite? I dunno why, but this topic reminds me of that.

Anyway yes we can trust experts, that's how peer review works.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
Will reimburse for additions to mah underwhelming collection
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!
 
HappyStikBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: yes
Posts: 501
Default ayyliens

Oh wow I was really lost on this post until the last sentence. Maybe rethink your opener because this sounded like one of those faux-conspiracy theories at first.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 06-22-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: ayyliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Oh wow I was really lost on this post until the last sentence. Maybe rethink your opener because this sounded like one of those faux-conspiracy theories at first.
Putting that to one side, why would it be ludicrous to think that there is some social engineering going on?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

If you spend more time learning and less time constructing bizarre beard-themed conspiracies, I think everyone would be happier.
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

You might even call them...hair-brained conspiracies.

I'll show myself out.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
Will reimburse for additions to mah underwhelming collection
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
If you spend more time learning and less time constructing bizarre beard-themed conspiracies, I think everyone would be happier.
But learning what? What do you mean by that?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:29 AM   #8
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

I'll attempt to explain hyperme's comment.

REACTOR this idea is so misguided it's really difficult to know where to begin, or which issue with your thinking to address first. I'll attempt to explain where you've gone wrong, but ultimately I don't know how helpful I'll be.

You seem to have come across a study, one that is presumably reproducible, and decided that the study is an attempt to socially engineer large populations to perceive negatively. For starters you don't provide any evidence that this is true. You just assert it. If you want to make a claim this big you need dozens of citations documenting examples of what you perceive to be true.

You also need to explain your idea in way more detail. Who is doing the social engineering? Why? How? etc. None of these three questions are answered in your original post, and I think answering any one of the three proves that this idea is simply not true.

You also need to think about ways to test your ideas. Presumably you stumbled across a study that was originally posted in an academic journal. This implies that it has been extensively peer reviewed, and thus that it can be trusted. Even if it hasn't been peer reviewed a core tenet of the scientific method is that an experiment is reproducible, providing further more checks against the kind of abuse you allege.

Lastly you should develop your critical thinking skills - literally criticize your own arguments. Spend time thinking about why you might be wrong. It'll help you in the long run.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
Will reimburse for additions to mah underwhelming collection
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Can We Believe The "Experts"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I'll attempt to explain hyperme's comment.

REACTOR this idea is so misguided it's really difficult to know where to begin, or which issue with your thinking to address first. I'll attempt to explain where you've gone wrong, but ultimately I don't know how helpful I'll be.

You seem to have come across a study, one that is presumably reproducible, and decided that the study is an attempt to socially engineer large populations to perceive negatively. For starters you don't provide any evidence that this is true. You just assert it. If you want to make a claim this big you need dozens of citations documenting examples of what you perceive to be true.

You also need to explain your idea in way more detail. Who is doing the social engineering? Why? How? etc. None of these three questions are answered in your original post, and I think answering any one of the three proves that this idea is simply not true.

You also need to think about ways to test your ideas. Presumably you stumbled across a study that was originally posted in an academic journal. This implies that it has been extensively peer reviewed, and thus that it can be trusted. Even if it hasn't been peer reviewed a core tenet of the scientific method is that an experiment is reproducible, providing further more checks against the kind of abuse you allege.

Lastly you should develop your critical thinking skills - literally criticize your own arguments. Spend time thinking about why you might be wrong. It'll help you in the long run.
Ahh, I see. Okay, thanks for the meaning of that post. It was certainly helpful. I guess I have some searching to do then.

Last edited by REACTOR; 06-24-2016 at 03:43 AM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Say "hi" to hear random crazy sentences! Pie. 16. Haldo. Anthro Animals. :P yourter12 Total Mayhem 21 02-11-2009 04:49 AM
TyTBone's "First" World - "Varia-T" TyTBone Dr. Lunatic 5 01-05-2009 01:40 PM
"Dead" or "Alive" LunaticGirl1977 Dr. Lunatic 3 04-12-2005 10:28 AM
"Dead". . .or "Alive" ( 1 Anonymous Dr. Lunatic 23 07-15-2004 02:10 PM
Page not found in "Making Dumb Games" section..... Accensama General Blabber 1 02-04-2004 10:48 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.