Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 03-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Quarterly Merge 1: Ancient M. :: Start Building

Deadline: 30th Of April, 2015 [GMT +8 Timezone] 13:00
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Hamumuians, welcome to the first ever Quarterly Merge. This merge is new, so suggestions and ideas are welcome.

For this quarter of the year, the theme is "Ancient". While people may be rolling their eyes, thinking to themselves...
Quote:
Oh my god, how can I make a level out of this? The ancient world is so boring!
That is not true. The Ancient world is actually pretty insane and amazing from various accounts written by Ancient people such as Herodotus. But since most of those accounts/stories are seen as being irrelevant in schools, universities, and those of the sorts, they often get the blank eye.

But anyway, what you must do is design a level set in the Ancient world (not in the present, also stories involving archaeologists in Ancient locations is not allowed either). This can be ambiguous to some people. You might even be thinking to yourself...
Quote:
What attributes make an Ancient level?
There is no one definite answer, and that is why you have a month and a half to build your level. There is plenty of time to think, and read up on the Ancient world.
There are many approaches you can take!
>The brutal and fierce war.
>Mash'em up and narration with insane stories.
>A day in the life.
>The hunt.
>Ancient alien conspiracies.
>Et cetera...!(Many others)>>>

The plot for the Hub is that you are a traveller who has arrived on distant soils to explore new lands because you are basically bored, pretty much all people back then were bored, but they travelled a lot, more than we do now. Comment: The term which is used many times nowadays "It's a small world", has many false assumptions. Also, if you're not creating a level which is connected to the Hub, it's preferable, I'm not saying that it's a must, to have any beginning intros in a story telling style.

Note: It is acceptable to add "Advanced" items (LampPosts), monsters (RoboPumpkins), tiles (Teleporters), and characters (Bouapha), in levels. But please keep in mind that your level still has to fit the theme!

For people who want to know what timeline is described as being Ancient, it's 50,000 BCE - 750 CE.

I hope that we can make this merge a success! Now here are the guidelines...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
1> You may use no more than 50 tiles. Make sure you use “Delete Unused Tiles” after you’re done, to keep it trimmed down. The maximum tile limit is 800.
2> No more than 5 custom sounds. The maximum custom sound limit is 64. The maximum tile limit is 64.
3> No more than 10 custom items. The maximum custom items limit is 104.
4> Do not use Tile Var specials unless you REALLY know what you're doing with them, and you make sure they never have a value lower than 800.
5> If you want to use a global variable, email me and ask first. I will give out one per person, first come first serve.
6> You may not modify any original items - you must make your own copies of them if you want modified versions.
7> Make sure any custom items you make have Rarity of 0 (so they won't drop randomly from monsters in other peoples’ levels).
8> Your level's filename must be “quarterlyNNXXX.dlw” where XXX is a 3 letter/number code of your own devising, and NN is the merge number.
9> Any extra files your level uses, like text files or images, must be named “quarterlyNNXXX_YY.txt” (or .bmp or whatever it is), where XXX again is your special code, NN is the merge number, and YY can be anything that is useful for you, like for example “quarterly1MH1_zabzab.txt”. Make sure you use the same special code everywhere. Since your extra files will be visible to the end-user, make sure your special code doesn't identify you in any way!
10> Submit your level by emailing it and any needed files (in a .ZIP, it's preferable that you upload it to a cloud or a trustworthy file sharing site. There has been a recent scandal of people being able to intercept emails and insert malware into .ZIPs.) to reactor@ninjadoggyinc.com.
11> Your level has to work perfectly. I may fix problems, but probably not, and if a level doesn’t work, I will not include it in the merge. More on that in another .PDF.
12> You may resubmit your level as many times as you want before the deadline. Whichever version I get last, but before the deadline, is the one that goes in.
13> You get most of a few weeks to build up your level.
14> Make your level as the 2nd (and 3rd) levels in a world – add it to an empty hub. Your hub doesn’t HAVE to be empty, it can have whatever you want, but I’m just going to throw it away, so don’t spend a long time on it!
15> Don’t forget to set the Author on your world, so I know who made it!
16> Remember, and this always applies to any add-on: ANY custom song, text, or graphics must be your own creation. You may not take someone else’s work.
17> You may not include a Loonykey.
19> Let me know in your email where the keychains are, or how they’re gotten!
20> Misspellings and bad grammar will most likely be corrected when I catch them, so don’t put any in on purpose! Also, please try not to put any in on accident.
Advanced Guidelines:

1. Your level cannot be bigger than 170x170. Why this is so, is hard to explain as I don't have the eloquence to explain it.
2. When you submit your level, you must also submit what desert animal/creature: snakes, scorpions, et cetera... would best symbolize your level.
3. You must also give a description of what type of music you would like to have which would best symbolize your level.
Quote:
4. This guideline is optional:

The hub is split into three areas...
-Semi-Marsh Lands – Weather: Moderate
-Salt Plains With Partially Bearable Land – Weather: Hot
-Fertile Volcano Ash Covered Fields – Weather: Partially Cold

In each area there is a monument which is equivalent to a temple/communal hall. There are level entrances in the form of story tellers and travellers, where if a participant of this merge wanted to, he/she can make a simpler level in the form of an enjoyable mash'em up with narration. So this is like a second level option, if the participant wants to make one more level on top of the one he/she already made.

But there are guidelines...
>The level must have a story to tell in the form of text files, preferably in Normal mode (to give that ancient feel).
>The story must have an aspect of insanity/mellow drama. For example: The queen of the Hamuria told the king who trespassed on her land to give back her son, and if he didn't, she would rage a fight he had never seen. The king disobeyed, and a fierce war started not too soon after. During one archery fight the king was killed in battle. The queen filled with rage, sucked several liters of blood from a few of his soldiers into a leathery bag, and dunked his head into it! Cursing him for the aggression he has committed.
>The level must be a fun mash'em up. Examples of fun mash'em up levels can be found in the original Dr Lunatic SWC worlds.
>Like in the first guidelines, if the builder wants to add a wacky edge to it by having modern characters or those of the sorts, they can.
>And most importantly, it must be enjoyable for the player, both story wise and gameplay wise.
Concerning the Second Level option, you are allowed to add 50 more tiles, but you are not allowed to add any more items, sounds, or any of those limited resources. Also, you must notify the host of this merge, in this case me: Reactor, about whether or not you are going to design the second level, so REACTOR can keep count on how resources are distributed, and also how many slots are left.
THE CONTEST

When this world merge is released,players will vote on which level best implements the Ancient theme, – who most cleverly used this theme.
The winning levels get their builder 150 Prize Points (75 for 2nd place, 30 for 3rd place).
(Prize points meaning yerfbucks)
Use of version 8.0d of Dr L SWC is encouraged!

It is recommended that you read Serious Suggestions as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jao5q4lbom...ips_1.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-14-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Edit: Changing Guidelines, Adding A Few Minor Changes
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Quarterly Merge 1: Ancient M. :: Start Building

Concerning the Second Level Option...
If one were to go for that option, they are allowed to add 25 tiles on top of the 50.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-14-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Hammered
Nailed It!

The reason for the custom item limit is mechanical - You can only have so many custom items. You can't just change it to fit into your contrived theme.

You date you set to turn it in by, is ridiculously long before your proposed release date. There is no way you can even predict the release date because that is out of your control..

Since a normal merge designer only does one level, people who do 2 levels should have all of (seemingly, but not, arbitrary) limits doubled. It makes no sense to increase the number of tiles by only 50% for someone who is building 100% more levels.

The worlds should either all be in the latest Dr. L release or not - maxing them could cause problems.

Has Jamul agreed to finance the prizes as double? Because if you haven't discussed this with him, it isn't fair to dangle prize YB that you don't have to pay with.

I strongly advise you to find someone who has managed a merge before if you are going to modify any of the standard merge rules. There are logical reasons for each and every one of them.

Do NOT consider my having responded to your post as any interest on my part to join your project. It would have to be much more tightly organized for me to even consider it.

Last edited by Hammered; 03-14-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR
The theme for the following merge is "Ancient". While some of you may be rolling your eyes, thinking to yourself "The Ancient World Is So Boring, How Can I Possibly Make A Level Based On It?", you are not exactly correct.
I actually really like this theme. Lots of ideas are coming to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR
The levels must be set in the ancient world, in that time. Meaning that levels which are along the lines of archaeologists in present times who discover living mummies is not allowed.

Also, I don't know whether this would be too restrictive for players, but it would be preferably recommended if the builder had the player play as a Pygmy, or something which fits the theme. The problem with Bouapha is that he is too modern. Or you can always get me to design a .JSP, these services are free of charge.

Like the Ancient world, the common view is that they had no advanced tech, so try not to have any High-Tech monsters such as RoboPumpkin, or anything which looks advanced such as Computer tiles, or items such as Lamp Posts. And also don't forgot about the food. Foods such as Chinese Packs/Pizza will jarr with the over all ancient theme. That is why the items limit has been pushed up to 14 per person.

If you're looking for a world which would give you a feel for Ancient themes, go for Prehistoric Peril, there are some levels in that world which will give you some feel.
Oh. Well, that's extremely restrictive.
Essentially this translates to "no creativity, no humor, and nothing that doesn't fit REACTOR's definition of the word 'ancient' allowed" Suggesting that Bouapha can't be in any of the levels is pretty ridiculous. It might be cool to see someone make a level where you play as a pygmy, but forcing each level-builder to do so is really pretentious. In fact, all of these guidelines are pretentious. Forcing these restrictions upon world-builders just to make the merge somehow "authentic" is excessively contrived, and it won't make the world any better. I don't want you to feel like I'm going off on you again, but those are just some observations I had reading through. Keep in mind it's the wackiness of SWC that makes it fun and interesting.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-14-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Okay, the post has been completely rewritten. How is it now?

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-14-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Hammered
Nailed It!

Adding a racist comment at the beginning probably doesn't make the concept as enticing as you think it does.

Last edited by Hammered; 03-14-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

What racist comment?

"In the hub the player is a Pygmy."???

-.-

I am not making it enticing! Just like my other posts, I always make mistakes with writing a few of my sentences. In this case I wrote it from the wrong point of view.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-14-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #8
Hammered
Nailed It!

I see that you figured it out and removed it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't there, and for the benefit of those who didn't see it, that wasn't it.

Last edited by Hammered; 03-17-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
I see that you figured it out and removed it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't there, and f toe benefit of those who didn't see it, that wasn't it.
Then what was it?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Looks a lot better now. I'll probably make a level.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-15-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Wink Re: Quarterly Merge 1: Ancient M. :: Start Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Looks a lot better now. I'll probably make a level.
Cool! Thank you very much for your participation.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
I see that you figured it out and removed it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't there, and f toe benefit of those who didn't see it, that wasn't it.
I read over it many times and still haven't seen it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
Hammered
Nailed It!

And as I said before ... that is because you already found and deleted it. You do realize that you edited the original post again after I complained about it, dont' you - check the time stamps.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Well yes... I got really confused when I read this sentence ", but it doesn't mean it wasn't there, and f toe benefit of those who didn't see it, that wasn't it.", but now I think what you meant now. Though I still don't think it correlates with this sentence.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-16-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:35 AM   #15
Hammered
Nailed It!

I corrected the typo so hopefully you will be able to understand the original sentence, since it confused you.

Last edited by Hammered; 03-17-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:15 AM   #16
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Current participant status...

Non-Hamumu members:
>Aztigin - Quasi-confirmed participation.

Hamumu members:
>HappyStikBeaver - Probably working on his level.
>Calthax - Unconfirmed participation.
>Pup514 - Working on her level.
>REACTOR - Definitely working on his level.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #17
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Note: I made a mistake when typing out the rules, with sounds it's supposed to say "The limit is 64 sounds" not tiles.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
REACTOR
Question the trends!

How are people doing with their levels?

So far my sister and I have finished ours.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Aztigin dropped out... It looks like he thought he had a copy of the game but he didn't.

But... I have some good news!

Mysteriously named guy: Triangular: who said to be from Singapore sent to me by email a level! WOOT!!

Finally, someone out of the blue who is a Supreme enthusiast!

Edit: But the problem now is who is going to test this world once the deadline is reached? Unless we use the Intertwine system.

Last edited by REACTOR; 04-18-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #20
REACTOR
Question the trends!

***Update***

People who have participated...

REACTOR: One Normal Level + One Optional Level
Pup514: One Normal Level + One Optional Level
Triangular: One Normal Level

Information On The Out Of The Blue Participant...
(Copied with permission from his sent email)

Hi, my real name is actually Soon Tekh. I am a high school student in Singapore and my favourite subject is maths. Chemistry is my second favourite and in maths I like solving trigonometry problems. Sometime ago I received a very enjoyable game as a present from my cousin which was Dr Lunatic Supreme With Cheese.
It was wacky and to some of my friends nonsensical but I enjoyed it greatly. I only discovered the editor two months ago but I am already interesting in
making worlds. My referer to this site was Reactor, he asked me whether I want to create an account but I thought no. I think that if I were to create one
I would have to be commited to the community there, and my interest in things wavers a lot, I would sometimes be interesting in doing one thing for a a couple
of months but then I would lose interest sometime later. But lets see how I do! If anyone would like to contact me my email address is soonctekh@gmail.com.

This is really looking good. It looks like we have an even higher chance that this Quarterly Merge will come out fine.