Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
solaris32
Puny Mortal

Default Why isn't this (and the other games) on Steam?

I've been a fan of Hamumu games for over 5 years now and I would totally rebuy these games on Steam, especially if they had achievements (which some of these games already have) and in the case of this game Steam Workshop, which would be amazing.

I have no doubt these games would have no problems making it onto Steam and thus earning their creator even more money, fans, and recognition. So why aren't they there?
solaris32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Why isn't this (and the other games) on Steam?

Steam is a very oppressive system admittedly. While the games developed by Hamumu are quite DRM (Meaning that you cannot share it with anyone beyond the family circle) Steam is even more DRM, and I think Mike Hommel wouldn't think it would be fair if he were to put such restrictions on his buyers.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
solaris32
Puny Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
Steam is a very oppressive system admittedly. While the games developed by Hamumu are quite DRM (Meaning that you cannot share it with anyone beyond the family circle) Steam is even more DRM, and I think Mike Hommel wouldn't think it would be fair if he were to put such restrictions on his buyers.
Last I checked the games you get from Hamumu are simple .exe files which means DRM-free. And Steam has a family sharing thing where you can authorize certain people to access your games library. I haven't used it so I'm not familiar with the details.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!

But I think with Steam when sharing games, only one person can use the account at a time. The games on Steam are tied in with their network, so if two people want to play the same game at the same time it will simply say that one person will have to drop out.

Last edited by REACTOR; 05-02-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
But I think with Steam when sharing games, only one person can use the account at a time. The games on Steam are tied in with their network, so if two people want to play the same game at the same time it will simply say that one person will have to drop out.

While the Hamumu games can be shared easily, if you give them for free to anyone beyond family members and friends in real life and you have an account on the fora, you will be permanently banned.
They don't even need an account. In fact, you shouldn't even give them to other people in your family (Though Jamul may be lenient there). It's supposed to be one, single copy of the game.

There are other likely reasons why Hamumu games aren't on steam, but we'll honestly never know unless Jamul chooses to comment.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Hmm, so you are not supposed to give a copy of the game even to a family member, eh?

Edit: This seems to be really shaky ground, does that mean my sister, Pup514, who lives in the same house, shouldn't get a copy of the game?

Last edited by REACTOR; 05-02-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Nobody should get a copy of the game. Only one should exist, excluding backups for safekeeping.

If you've given it to somebody else without destroying your copy, then I think that probably violates the law.

That said, I don't think there would be any issue sharing it within your household.
(that is, any issues with Jamul specifically)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Yes, you are welcome to have backups for your personal use. You're not welcome to give them to other people. Even sharing them among your family is technically illegal, but most indies including myself don't mind (immediate family in your house that is - I don't appreciate you emailing links to your cousins across the globe).

I look forward to releasing account-based online-connected games where this concept doesn't need to be taught or explained, it's just how it works.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Well that seems to answer a few questions. Thanks for that quote BlueDwarf.

Last edited by REACTOR; 05-03-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Words are not worth much when talking about artwork
Old 05-03-2015, 02:09 AM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
I would also like to point out that Steam is very oppressive because of another reason which is that users must launch the game from the Steam client.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
I would also like to point out that Steam is very oppressive because of another reason which is that users must launch the game from the Steam client.
Not all games have this requirement; I believe it's something that the developer can choose whether or not to include.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Default Why isn't this (and the other games) on Steam?

I'm going to bump this because I'm still curious. Has Jamul ever given an answer as to why his games aren't on Steam? I think SWC (with a few adjustments) and Loonyland I and II would be perfect to introduce Hamumu games to the client. It seems like only having the games available here is a dead end. On the other hand, getting publicity through Steam might revitalize or at least bring a bit more traffic to the site.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-28-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
yourter12
forever gone

I think Hamumu should extend to Steam, as it'd expand the audience that Hamumu caters to. Right now, Hamumu's games lay in sheer obscurity, which is a major shame considering many of them are really good even in today's times. A bigger audience means increase in revenue and popularity. It's a no-brainer that Hamumu should do it. It would make even more money than Growtopia, and it could open up for sequels if the games become super popular. You never know.

TL;DR: Hamumu on Steam: Good idea, should've been done by this point.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Steam didn't really exist as a marketplace of sorts until 2005, and didn't really get big until a few years after that. Considering SWC came out in 2003, I imagine that it might've been difficult to get it accepted on Steam with its age at the time.

Were Steam Greenlight around back when these forums were at their peak, I imagine we probably could've managed to get a couple up on there, but with the oversaturation of games on Greenlight now and the current lack of activity here, it probably wouldn't be very likely.

Were a new title were to be developed, as unlikely as that seems now, then trying for a Stream release would likely make a lot of sense, as most people use platforms like that or GOG for buying games now.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

What's the process to get a game onto Steam? Is Greenlight the only viable option for Hamumu games because they're not well known? I assumed it wouldn't be too tough but in hindsight I'm probably wrong.

Out of curiosity, how does Greenlight work? I'm assuming the developer has to be actively involved somehow. Anyways, if Jamul would be interested in using Steam, I think Greenlight is worth a try. He already has much higher quality games than most of the content submitted. Just grab a few screenshots and maybe a quick trailer and you've got nothing to lose.

completely unrelated, I found this: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=DeqIqOFWQtA

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 12-31-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #15
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
What's the process to get a game onto Steam? Is Greenlight the only viable option for Hamumu games because they're not well known? I assumed it wouldn't be too tough but in hindsight I'm probably wrong.

Out of curiosity, how does Greenlight work? I'm assuming the developer has to be actively involved somehow. Anyways, if Jamul would be interested in using Steam, I think Greenlight is worth a try. He already has much higher quality games than most of the content submitted. Just grab a few screenshots and maybe a quick trailer and you've got nothing to lose.

completely unrelated, I found this: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=DeqIqOFWQtA
Before Greenlight was a thing, any games submitted were reviewed by a an in-house team at Steam who selected what games to place on the store. Greenlight has replaced that entirely now. According to Steam they use it to select games for placement on the store based on how much interest/votes a game gets relative to other games on Greenlight. I believe there's a $100 fee for submitting a game as well.

The other issue is that even if accepted, Steam takes a sizable cut from all accounts I've heard and they generally have control over the pricing/sales and such. Since they don't share their revenue split publicly and contractually developers can't reveal that information if accepted onto Steam either, I'm not sure exactly to what extent that is.

A platform like GOG would actually likely be much better suited for games like SWC, since it's original focus was on classic games, has less DRM, and in general is more developer-friendly. They personally choose what games make it onto the platform, like the old pre-Greenlight Steam.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 AM   #16
solaris32
Puny Mortal

The $100 fee for Greenlight is a 1-time fee where most or all of that money goes to charity, and you can from then on submit as many games to Greenlight as you want. Considering all the pure junk that somehow gets greenlit, I have little doubt most to all of the games here would make it. He just needs to make a front page announcement here on the site asking people to vote, and perhaps look into getting some gaming site to help him advertise. These are good games, I have no doubt they would sell well.

I know I would personally rebuy all the games on Steam, especially if they had Steam achievements.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #17
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris32 View Post
The $100 fee for Greenlight is a 1-time fee where most or all of that money goes to charity, and you can from then on submit as many games to Greenlight as you want. Considering all the pure junk that somehow gets greenlit, I have little doubt most to all of the games here would make it. He just needs to make a front page announcement here on the site asking people to vote, and perhaps look into getting some gaming site to help him advertise. These are good games, I have no doubt they would sell well.

I know I would personally rebuy all the games on Steam, especially if they had Steam achievements.
Hmm... hmm... I am really suspicious of those charities. Does any of the money actually get used for the causes? It seems as though the administrators of the charities take a 99% pay cut and just leave a paltry amount to be officially used. Also, I think charities are very psychologically effective ways of conning people out of money. They bombard you with images of the poor and hungry of Africa, starving animals, cancer patients and so on, making you want to help those who are suffering in some way. Not wanting to feel guilty for those less fortunate than us we chip in, and the charities make millions to billions of dollars. But then the question is... what do they do with the money? It seems as though they just split it among the organisers and only give 0.1% - 1% to those in need of it. It reminds me of the Red Cross Scandal where they received 13 billion dollars for the hurricane in Haiti incident but only built seven homes. And the organisation had the nerve to get angry with people who were accusing it of this scandal. All charities should actually provide evidence that they have spent most of the charity money on the cause. Although a percentage of it has to go back to the organisation so they can keep running their operations, they should really provide evidence that they have used the charity money effectively and cautiously. It's also really easy for charities (especially official, legit ones) to con people out of money, because how will we check if they have put it to good use? Charities are the new dogma. You cannot question them, because you will be seen as being someone who is heartless, and with hotheaded people in the media your reputation will be destroyed before you know it.

Last edited by REACTOR; 06-20-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old 06-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
Redbone
She & her pronouns

The Steam Greenlight fee goes to Child's Play, which does none of this.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #19
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
The Steam Greenlight fee goes to Child's Play, which does none of this.
But can you be so sure? And how do they actually use the charity money for the cause they are fighting for? I have noticed that a lot of charities are vague on how they exactly support their cause. "We fight cancer! What else do you want to know? We are gravely disappointed in people for questioning us!"...
Old 06-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #20
seamonkey
spoon eater

Well in the US charities have are pretty heavily regulated via tax returns. The government wants to make sure organizations that are tax exempt. (and Child's Play is a 501c3 meaning it is classified as tax exempt) This is where a company reports what it spent money on, where it got money etc in order to comply with the law. In general these laws are pretty good at preventing self-interested fraud. I might be a bit biased because Child's Play is headquartered like a half hour away from where I live, but Child's play is great. They used 86% of their resources for program things. (https://www.sos.wa.gov/charities/sea...arity_id=22315)

There's also a very large amount of testimony from people who have been helped which is further proof.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote