Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads
 
Boneheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, United States
Posts: 1,249
Default Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

So I've been homeschooled ever since I was born, and recently, I've thought about going to public high school for my freshman year, maybe try it out for a semester and see if I like it after that. I know there are a lot of differences, but I was curious if there's anything important I should know? All I've gotten so far is I won't know how to open my locker for a semester

Any advice?
__________________
Website
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
ChessManiac
Dumb Person
 
ChessManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: A parallel Universe of Anza CA
Posts: 107
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Hmmph, I am not sure whether common core was implemented to every school, but I say be aware if your school follows the common core system. Common core is completely crap!

Take 7+7 for example, any rational person would just add 7 and 7 together to make 14, oh noo! Not in this system, you must split the second seven into a 3 and a 4, add the 3 to the first 7 to make 10, and then add the 4, completely stupid!

It's just scary man, America is seriously going to the toilets, I am not lying!
__________________
Key to making worlds: 1. Stop playing Dr L SWC.
2. Play other games, keep this up for half a year.
3. Get bored, rediscover the game. 4. WORLD MAKING!!
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta
 
N64 Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 144
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

I suggest taking only taking honors and advanced level classes when you get to a choice between them and a regular one......... Classmates are less likely to browbeat the teacher into reducing the pace of class and the wider range of material covered helps stave off boredom.

The math class chessmaniac speaks of scares me. School systems sometimes have a minor politics of their own, and multiple teachers tend to collaborate on who they recommend to your counselor next semester, and seek each other's help with controllling the flow of class. Dumbing things down to smooth relations is not a tactic limited to students!

Different teachers have different styles. Some will ask for a lot of intensive grunt work, while others will plan out socratic discussions to cover core material. Some high school teachers will lecture like a college professor would. General courses will have a mix.... If it were college I would say to take some courses outside your experience like broadcasting, theatre, and art, because a try-it as it comes approach will help if your interests change, or at least give you a wider expereince to complement your main activity. That means being able to communicate with mr. "watch every COSMOS" and other super academics.

Social participation is basically for fun, to stave off boredom, make lasting friends. If you are thinking about taking up a teacher's oppurtunity for a class trip anytime in the future, or like the idea of going to Europe or something, then this is especially important. High school instituitions, above all else, want you to proclaim your self confidence....
__________________
We'll talk after you prove I'm here.
N64 Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic
 
texasjoshua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Not Texas :(
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
So I've been homeschooled ever since I was born, and recently, I've thought about going to public high school for my freshman year, maybe try it out for a semester and see if I like it after that. I know there are a lot of differences, but I was curious if there's anything important I should know? All I've gotten so far is I won't know how to open my locker for a semester

Any advice?
Middle school is a pretty poor time in terms of public school, for me high school went really well, as already stated take all the honors courses you can, for different reasons then stated above. Try to do well in them, find a group of cool people who have similar interests to yours, this will probably take some time so don't worry about making friends right away. Talk to all your teachers and try to get to know them and be friends with them, teachers in general are cool people and almost always have something interesting to share if you are willing to listen. Probably the main difference from home schooling is how regimented it will be, each school is different but everywhere it is on a schedule, it will probably be tough to get used to at first, but just print it out and carry it around with you, get to know the school and people in it.

It is almost universally agreed that one of the most important things to learn in public school is [I]social skills[I] {shudder}. So just do your best to get along with people, its important stuff for later in life. One other thing that will likely be highly disputed, don't worry about romance shenanigans, in my opinion it brings a lot of unneeded drama into your life and is extremely time consuming, as well as a pull on your finances. A couple dates is probably good just for the experience but try to avoid relationships in general.

Hope this helps!
__________________
Quote:
We are GWF. You will be assmilated. Your post making distinctiveness will be added to our own. You threads will be adapted to serve us. Resistance is Futile.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the Lemons back! Get Mad! I don't want your lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Do it. If the high school has a debate team: join it. take advanced classes - homeschooling is one easy way to get way ahead of the curve by accident. It turns out people are OK, but it does take practice interacting with them, which is much harder to come by in a homeschooling environment.
I don't know much about Utah (other than **** it's hot here (currently on vacation)), but you should be fine.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads
 
Boneheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, United States
Posts: 1,249
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Do it. If the high school has a debate team: join it. take advanced classes - homeschooling is one easy way to get way ahead of the curve by accident. It turns out people are OK, but it does take practice interacting with them, which is much harder to come by in a homeschooling environment.
I don't know much about Utah (other than **** it's hot here (currently on vacation)), but you should be fine.
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll be sure to make notes of all of it. :P Also, seamonkey, what did you say that was turned into ****?
__________________
Website
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

it was late. I accidentally swore. oops.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!
 
Gigacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Over There!
Posts: 1,007
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Debating is great, absolutely do it if you can!
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:43 AM   #9
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Pretty much everything has been covered, but I think some things have to be said about social skills. First of all, don't act like you are better than people you think are less smart than you. This will make you a target. Since you've been homeschooled up to now you are probably ahead of them in school subjects, and behind them on social subjects. There are some things you need to realize and accept now, because even though they may be horrible, it's the way it is and there is nothing you can do to change it:

1) Respect

People will step on you if you let them. This is not a reason to avoid public school, because if you do it will come back to bite you later in life. You have to learn to fend for yourself. Start working out if you haven't already, because 1) It will tell bullies to pick a better victim, 2) Girls like it and 3) It will help build self-confidence.

Life is unfair. If someone is messing with you, you won't get out of it by reasoning with them, they don't want to reason. They want to assert dominance to you and to their peers. The only way to stop it is to fight them. Even if you lose, and you probably will since they have more practice, you will gain their respect. And it is much better to fight for your dignity than to avoid fighting for your safety. Unless you live in the ghetto, you won't be killed in a school fight. You won't even get permanent damage. Your body may hurt for a few days, but that's much better than your mind hurting for years. I used to run away from trouble for years, until I fought someone who was messing with me two years ago. It was an even fight and nobody won, but I did gain respect from that day.

2) Alcohol and smoking

Avoid these like the devil. Don't just do so because your parents and teachers tell you its bad, because that has a huge chance of backfiring a few years later when you are in your rebellious stage. A lot of things you will hear from authority figures sound like exaggerations, but there is a lot of truth in them. Don't stay sober for other people, do it for yourself. And most importantly, don't get drunk for other people to prove a point. That's the worse. Let me tell you about my experience with alcohol. I started going out in the beginning of the 11th grade, and I had a lot of self confidence issues. It didn't take long for me to find alcohol, which made me think I was invincible, incredibly cool, tough, etc. I also thought everything my elders told me about alcohol was lies, because they were trying to hide this great thing from me and keep it for themselves. I mean, what's better than being able to speak with everyone, forget about your problems, and do things you wouldn't dare do sober? Turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all. I ignored the side effects, such as puking often from drinking too much, having headaches the next day, gastrointestinal issues, etc, until I was drinking half a bottle of vodka every other day. I quit cold turkey in february 2013 after waking up at my bed with no recollection of what I had done last night, other than drinking 600ml of a 60% alcohol spirit. For an entire week I had terrible headaches from the alcohol withdrawal since I was addicted. I haven't had tests, but I am sure my liver is not happy about what I put it through. Had I continued drinking that way there's a great chance I wouldn't be here today to tell you about it. I didn't learn anything at school for that entire semester since I would go to class drunk. I thought people respected me because I was "cool enough to drink at school". Once I quit I realized people pitied me. Alcohol is one of the most dangerous and addictive drugs out there.

While drinking I picked up smoking cigarettes. This has been even worse for me than alcohol was. I am completely addicted, I smoke a pack every day, and this has been very hurtful to both my lungs and my wallet. But let's assume money is not an issue. Cigarettes have ruined my cardiovascular abilities. I can't run a hundred meters without having to stop to catch my breath, and otherwise I'm pretty fit. I can't run a kilometer to save my life. My breath stinks, when I have an all-nighter I have to worry if my cigarettes will last me since no store near me is open at 5am, and I routinely have to go outside buildings for a smoking break. I don't enjoy them anymore, I just smoke them to feel normal, because if I don't smoke for a few hours I will be unpleasantly irritable and feel terrible.

In your age there will be peer pressure to smoke and drink. It might cross your mind to do it to rebel against your parents. Take it from me, I have done it, and it is not cool, rebellious or enlightening. It is pathetic and terrible for your health. It pushes people away from you, and draws people you shouldn't want to be around anyway.

3) Girls

Don't put girls up on pedestals. It pushes them away and leads straight to the "friend zone". Girls do not want a boyfriend to worship them, they want a confident boyfriend that feels secure about himself. This is why girls don't date "nice guys". They like to have the nice guy around to bring up their self confidence and do them all kinds of favors, but then they will date the bad boy because he brings them adventure. No girl will ever tell you that, not your mother, not your sister, not anyone. They don't want you to know their secret, that they are not unicorns, and they have problems in every part of their life just like you and me. They want you to believe they are better than you so you will treat them as if they were better than you. Keep in mind, that's not because women are evil, it's because society gives them the ability to pull that off. In a society which gave men higher value, you and me would act just the same.

Don't fall into depression if you are single, and don't cling on to a toxic relationship out of fear of loneliness. Relationships can be incredibly rewarding, but they can also be as addictive and toxic as drugs and alcohol. First you have to feel good about yourself and love yourself, and only then can a girl really love you. You have to realize and know deep inside you that you have worth, don't expect other people to validate that for you. Find something you are good at and get better at it. Work out, have a healthy diet, respect yourself, pursue your spirituality if you are religious, don't do drugs, and things will work out.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic
 
texasjoshua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Not Texas :(
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

All of Pumkineater's Advice is Solid. I support it.
__________________
Quote:
We are GWF. You will be assmilated. Your post making distinctiveness will be added to our own. You threads will be adapted to serve us. Resistance is Futile.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the Lemons back! Get Mad! I don't want your lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads
 
Boneheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, United States
Posts: 1,249
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Pretty much everything has been covered, but I think some things have to be said about social skills. First of all, don't act like you are better than people you think are less smart than you. This will make you a target. Since you've been homeschooled up to now you are probably ahead of them in school subjects, and behind them on social subjects. There are some things you need to realize and accept now, because even though they may be horrible, it's the way it is and there is nothing you can do to change it:

1) Respect

People will step on you if you let them. This is not a reason to avoid public school, because if you do it will come back to bite you later in life. You have to learn to fend for yourself. Start working out if you haven't already, because 1) It will tell bullies to pick a better victim, 2) Girls like it and 3) It will help build self-confidence.

Life is unfair. If someone is messing with you, you won't get out of it by reasoning with them, they don't want to reason. They want to assert dominance to you and to their peers. The only way to stop it is to fight them. Even if you lose, and you probably will since they have more practice, you will gain their respect. And it is much better to fight for your dignity than to avoid fighting for your safety. Unless you live in the ghetto, you won't be killed in a school fight. You won't even get permanent damage. Your body may hurt for a few days, but that's much better than your mind hurting for years. I used to run away from trouble for years, until I fought someone who was messing with me two years ago. It was an even fight and nobody won, but I did gain respect from that day.

2) Alcohol and smoking

Avoid these like the devil. Don't just do so because your parents and teachers tell you its bad, because that has a huge chance of backfiring a few years later when you are in your rebellious stage. A lot of things you will hear from authority figures sound like exaggerations, but there is a lot of truth in them. Don't stay sober for other people, do it for yourself. And most importantly, don't get drunk for other people to prove a point. That's the worse. Let me tell you about my experience with alcohol. I started going out in the beginning of the 11th grade, and I had a lot of self confidence issues. It didn't take long for me to find alcohol, which made me think I was invincible, incredibly cool, tough, etc. I also thought everything my elders told me about alcohol was lies, because they were trying to hide this great thing from me and keep it for themselves. I mean, what's better than being able to speak with everyone, forget about your problems, and do things you wouldn't dare do sober? Turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all. I ignored the side effects, such as puking often from drinking too much, having headaches the next day, gastrointestinal issues, etc, until I was drinking half a bottle of vodka every other day. I quit cold turkey in february 2013 after waking up at my bed with no recollection of what I had done last night, other than drinking 600ml of a 60% alcohol spirit. For an entire week I had terrible headaches from the alcohol withdrawal since I was addicted. I haven't had tests, but I am sure my liver is not happy about what I put it through. Had I continued drinking that way there's a great chance I wouldn't be here today to tell you about it. I didn't learn anything at school for that entire semester since I would go to class drunk. I thought people respected me because I was "cool enough to drink at school". Once I quit I realized people pitied me. Alcohol is one of the most dangerous and addictive drugs out there.

While drinking I picked up smoking cigarettes. This has been even worse for me than alcohol was. I am completely addicted, I smoke a pack every day, and this has been very hurtful to both my lungs and my wallet. But let's assume money is not an issue. Cigarettes have ruined my cardiovascular abilities. I can't run a hundred meters without having to stop to catch my breath, and otherwise I'm pretty fit. I can't run a kilometer to save my life. My breath stinks, when I have an all-nighter I have to worry if my cigarettes will last me since no store near me is open at 5am, and I routinely have to go outside buildings for a smoking break. I don't enjoy them anymore, I just smoke them to feel normal, because if I don't smoke for a few hours I will be unpleasantly irritable and feel terrible.

In your age there will be peer pressure to smoke and drink. It might cross your mind to do it to rebel against your parents. Take it from me, I have done it, and it is not cool, rebellious or enlightening. It is pathetic and terrible for your health. It pushes people away from you, and draws people you shouldn't want to be around anyway.

3) Girls

Don't put girls up on pedestals. It pushes them away and leads straight to the "friend zone". Girls do not want a boyfriend to worship them, they want a confident boyfriend that feels secure about himself. This is why girls don't date "nice guys". They like to have the nice guy around to bring up their self confidence and do them all kinds of favors, but then they will date the bad boy because he brings them adventure. No girl will ever tell you that, not your mother, not your sister, not anyone. They don't want you to know their secret, that they are not unicorns, and they have problems in every part of their life just like you and me. They want you to believe they are better than you so you will treat them as if they were better than you. Keep in mind, that's not because women are evil, it's because society gives them the ability to pull that off. In a society which gave men higher value, you and me would act just the same.

Don't fall into depression if you are single, and don't cling on to a toxic relationship out of fear of loneliness. Relationships can be incredibly rewarding, but they can also be as addictive and toxic as drugs and alcohol. First you have to feel good about yourself and love yourself, and only then can a girl really love you. You have to realize and know deep inside you that you have worth, don't expect other people to validate that for you. Find something you are good at and get better at it. Work out, have a healthy diet, respect yourself, pursue your spirituality if you are religious, don't do drugs, and things will work out.
This has helped a lot, thank you. One of the biggest things I worry about is getting extremely stressed from 4+ hours of homework a day (that's what people have told me) since that is 11 hours of school monday-thursday, 9 hours of school friday. I usually sleep around 9-10 hours a night, so I'm worried I will start losing sleep or school will take over my life. I dunno. I guess I have to try it before I worry about anything.

Again, thanks for all the advice, everybody. It has been really helpful to me, and hopefully I will be able to last in public school until I graduate. Hopefully.
__________________
Website
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!
 
Pumpkineater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
This has helped a lot, thank you. One of the biggest things I worry about is getting extremely stressed from 4+ hours of homework a day (that's what people have told me) since that is 11 hours of school monday-thursday, 9 hours of school friday. I usually sleep around 9-10 hours a night, so I'm worried I will start losing sleep or school will take over my life. I dunno. I guess I have to try it before I worry about anything.

Again, thanks for all the advice, everybody. It has been really helpful to me, and hopefully I will be able to last in public school until I graduate. Hopefully.
Here's a tip about homework: In subjects you like, try not to do the homework mechanically or to think about it as work. Try to find patterns in your subjects and to understand them deeper. A wise man once said that students don't enjoy the answers, they enjoy the questions. Homework will be much more rewarding and useful if you think of it as a way to unlock your mind.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #13
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!
 
Gigacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Over There!
Posts: 1,007
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

If you are advanced for your age which I imagine you would be, having been homeschooled, most of that homework (75% I imagine) will be done at school. Most of what PE said has never effected me (al la chubby, nerdy anti-social kid who plays card games at lunch, still have a great group of friends. Although we could just have an awesome school), althoughn ive never tried alcahol so I imagine listen him on at least that point.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #14
Megadog
The Demagogue
 
Megadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At home duhhh!
Posts: 2,416
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

I'm afraid that NZ schools seem a bit different to elsewhere GC...

But as the person who doesn't drink, I'd point out that while it's a good thing in many respects, it can get in the way when all of your friends DO drink. This is more important once you can actually do so legally, but it's something to keep in mind anyway. (I admit, I'm playing devils advocate a little, arguing a point I don't really support. I'd prefer it if my friends didn't drink, but that's not going to change anytime soon...)
__________________
Back to the roots: Lets put the Hamumu back into Hamumu Forums!
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
Any advice?
Have a sense of humor and don't take things too seriously. EDIT: By that I'm referring to stuff your peers might say. Take your schoolwork seriously.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)

Last edited by TyTBone; 07-23-2014 at 08:33 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
4+ hours of homework a day (that's what people have told me) since that is 11 hours of school monday-thursday, 9 hours of school friday.
11 hours? wut? That is not the norm I don't think. High school for me was 8:00 to 2:35, so taking lunch out it comes to 6 hours per day. Also 4+ hours per day isn't a thing.

Oh and in regards to drugs: obviously avoid doing them. That said I suspect that pumpkineater is wrong in what you will be pressured to do and by hw much (mostly a proximity issue), namely that cigarettes and tobacco products have been pretty well branded as uncool, while marijuana and alcohol have become more prevalent. Not sure about Utah, but peer pressure is much less of a thing than it is set out to be. Not to say you should become the crazy partier, but just an FYI it isn't people trying to do terrible things to you.

Also not all people you meet will be terrible.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly

Last edited by seamonkey; 07-24-2014 at 11:56 PM.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
tyconger191
Badguy
 
tyconger191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 238
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Although you should strive to succeed in school, sometimes you might fail a test or something. If that happens and you feel glum, just take a step back and realize that consequences that you are facing aren't death, nor are they anywhere close to being as horrible as death. Being dreary over failure is okay to some extent, but if you are overly sensitive towards your grades, you are just setting yourself up for a horrible state of being. So, don't feel too sad if you fail at a test or something. Also remember that school is not a competition and other students shouldn't concern you. So, if the majority of a class passes a test and you are part of the minority that failed, don't think you are stupid because that is clearly not the case. The main purpose of school is to get new information. I suppose it wouldn't make a difference if you competed with other kids as long as you were reaching that ultimate goal of gaining the new information, but competing probably could lead to stress and it is best to focus on yourself rather than your class. Also, bullies are really, really stupid. I can't stress that enough that bullies are super duper stupid. A bully is pretty much the dumbest thing you can encounter in school. I want to say that this is a dreamland where you can just make them go away by standing up to them or pulling crude pranks on them, but I would be basically living in some sort of fantasy land if I did. Chances are standing up to them once won't do anything at all. If you stand up to them over five times, something might happen. But they are very annoying and if you don't no how to deal with them they can waste tons of your time in a variety of excruciatingly stupid ways. Stay away from people who seem like they are crazy or do outrageous things. By outrageous things I mean obscene PDA and bizarre things like pooping in a sink (I don't get it either, someone has pooped in a sink before in the school's restroom). You see, no matter how unique these people may seem to you IF they stand out to you don't ever, ever become friends with them, consequences could be horrific. You'll start to realize that people are a main fear to overcome when you arrive. If you are like me, you will be embarrassed and shy. That is normal. Almost every new guy, most of the time has that, but after awhile you will be able to make friends, when this happens and you are comfortable enough to talk, do it, if you don't you will end up pretty sad in the future because you need friends, they are important. Don't get involved in gossip is probably a good idea too, it leads to trouble. Most importantly, remember that bullies are drooling idiots who don't have a place in life, as I sort of said before, but I really hate their guts, so I will say it again.

There are probably dozens of errors in that huge load of text. I hope this helps in some way, I haven't read anything anyone else has posted here, so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been said.
__________________
Am I PARANOID? Or am I... actually, nope probably just paranoid.

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads
 
Boneheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, United States
Posts: 1,249
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

(bump, I know)
Just thought I should let it be known that I finished the school year well. (in May, but still ) As far as grades, I did decently; average overall of about 95%, which is an A (93+ is an A here, anyway). I had B's/B-'s/B+'s the first quarter (since it was still all new to me), then I got my grades up fairly fast with only one B in the second quarter, the rest being A-'s and A's. Second semester I did better, only 2 A-'s in the third quarter, and only one A- in the fourth quarter. (actually might've been all A's in the fourth quarter, but my school took down the online grades so not completely sure) In fact, I had 3 classes with an A+ in the fourth quarter, so my average grade percentage was something like 103% (for the fourth quarter).
</extensive grade report>

High school (or public school in general, I guess) wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, which I guess is a good thing. I learned a lot, opened my mind up to new things, made friends that I actually share interests with, and communicated well with teachers so I didn't end up hating any of them.

Nonetheless, this was only my freshman year. But I live in a small town in Utah, so I doubt things will change much in the next few years. I look forward to taking more classes and learning new things. We'll see how the rest of it goes. :P
__________________
Website

Last edited by Boneheads; 07-21-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #19
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Grats and all that. Hope things continue to go well.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 AM   #20
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Yes, I hope so as well. But I think you will have a very hard time, living in North America can be a very tense environment.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JSP Projects that will be available to the public! tyconger191 Dr. Lunatic 3 05-12-2016 11:13 AM
Wooooooo Hoooo! (Public) Ninja of Frozen Milk Total Mayhem 12 08-26-2007 10:58 AM
Public Service Announcement Nebro-Gubular SpisBoy Total Mayhem 7 03-24-2006 02:33 PM
Just A Public Notice blackmyth Dr. Lunatic 0 05-24-2005 09:14 AM
put ideas for worlds for public use regeneratorizer Dr. Lunatic 7 04-19-2005 06:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.