Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 11-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Elia1995
Dumb Person

Send a message via MSN to Elia1995
Exclamation SWC Level Editor questions

Hi there, so I basically haven't been around for a while (let's say a bunch of years) and now I'm gonna be back right into the modding core of Dr. Lunatic SWC.

But... due to the long time I spent away from this stuff, I forgot some things about the editor and I'm grouping here in this thread my questions and concerns, I hope you guys can answer me with some guides of some sort, ok let's go:

#1: How can I add custom sprites for items ?
Let's say for example, I want a Pygmy or another enemy or a completely new custom sprite, just staying there in a spot and I can interact with it via specials, in order to do so, I'd need the Pygmy's (for example) sprite among all the sprites available for custom items, but how do I add new ones to the database ?

#2: How do I make Keys of Lunacy count in the mall ?
This one is self-explanatory, however, I'm currently making a big (and I really mean BIG) world subdivided into several smaller areas, each one of these is gonna have a boss and a Key of Lunacy as reward for each boss; how do I make them actually WORK in the mall and/or count for the Asylum ?

#3: How do I add custom NPCs ?
This one is slightly different than my first question, let's say I made a custom sprite for a mob with JSPEdit 2, how do I add it as a brand new enemy in the "Badguys" database ? Whatever modder skill that requires, I don't care, I've been modding games way more complex than SWC in my life.

#4: How do I make longer messages ?
I don't quite like the limit of characters the Special for messages is setting me, I read somewhere in the forums I can use .txt to make longer messages, but how does this work ?

Thanks guys, when I'll have more concerns I'll just update this post, I hope you can help me with at least some of these 4 questions
Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Hammered
Nailed It!

Default Re: SWC Level Editor questions

2. You can't ... you only get one per world. It's built into the way the game works, you can't change it. What you could do is maybe create something like a solid color loonie key (in each of the colors that if flashes through perhaps). Each of the places that you want a loony key can award one of them and you could have some place (in the hub maybe) that contains the Loony Key and can only be accessed through having all the special semi-loony keys (that the player has collected in those other areas).
Old 11-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Redbone
She & her pronouns

1- You can use the "Item Sprites" Special effect to set a custom item sprite sheet to use (jsp format in the "user" directory). After that you can select the "Use Custom JSP" option when editing items to use your custom sprites instead of the default set. I may be wrong, but I think if you put the special in level 0, it takes effect for the whole world?

3- You'd probably have to reverse engineer the game to do that. Nobody has really done that, so you're on your own here. You'd be better off using Specials to change the appearance and swap the AI of a pre-existing monster.

4- If you place a text file in the "user" folder of the game's directory, you can bring it up full-screen using the Show Pic/Movie Special effect, selecting from one of three styles. The game doesn't employ word wrapping, so you have to add line breaks to the file directly if you don't want it to spill off-screen. Alternatively, you can display an image with the Special by saving it in the same place as a 256-colour BMP file with a 640x480 resolution.

Last edited by Redbone; 11-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Elia1995
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
(...) you can select the "Use Custom JSP" option (...)
When I click on that the game crashes....
Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

If the game crashes I would assume that means you don't have any JSP files to choose from in the user folder. Either that or the file the game is trying to use is in the wrong format (i.e. it has an incompatible color palette or some other issue).

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-28-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Elia1995
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
If the game crashes I would assume that means you don't have any JSP files to choose from in the user folder. Either that or the file the game is trying to use is in the wrong format (i.e. it has an incompatible color palette or some other issue).
The game crashes nonetheless I have them in the user folder, also the palette is perfectly fine as I converted it with LunaticPal (thanks to REACTOR for it) and imported with jspedit v2.

Anyway, now I also have a new question: how do I make a message pop out after another one ? (I'm making some kind of a "dialogue" cutscene, but I can't seem to get the messages work properly one after another one)
Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elia1995 View Post
The game crashes nonetheless I have them in the user folder, also the palette is perfectly fine as I converted it with LunaticPal (thanks to REACTOR for it) and imported with jspedit v2.

Anyway, now I also have a new question: how do I make a message pop out after another one ? (I'm making some kind of a "dialogue" cutscene, but I can't seem to get the messages work properly one after another one)
One way to do that, is to use variables as timers. As you might have heard, the game cycles through 30 frames per second. Lets look further into that....

When you begin your dialogue, you must give a value to a variable that will be the trigger for your variable time. Lets use V0 and set it to 1. Then we can create a special where we say:

Trigger: If Variable V0 = 1 Exactly
Effect: Set Variable V1 (Or whatever, this will be your timer) to V1 + 1
Unlimited Use

V1 will then increment by a value of 1 every 1/30th of a second.

Then, you can use the V1 variable as a trigger for your messages. Since the game cycles at 30 frames per second, one second passes after the variable is activated equates to 30 of the value for V1, 2 seconds equals 60, and so forth.

Example:
Trigger: If Variable V1 = 90 Exactly (This is equal to 3 seconds)
Effect: Show Message "Blah" Normal

In which case, the formula for the variable timer in this case is [the time you want to pass, in seconds] x [30].

I hope that helps. And if you want the variable timer to stop, all you have to do is set V0 or whatever the variable timer trigger is to 0.

Last edited by REACTOR; 12-12-2015 at 06:26 PM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
If you haven't solved this, provide me the .jsp you're trying to load and the .dlw you're trying to load it from and I can help you debug.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
I think it has something to do with the Windows folder you are in, Program Files (x86) or Program Files. I've noticed that a lot of problems happen when I installed Supreme in one of these two folders, but when I installed it outside of them in a custom folder I created Supreme worked perfectly well. Perhaps you should do a fresh install of Supreme in a folder outside those specified Windows folders.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote