Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Making Dumb Games

Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
yourter12
forever gone

Default MAGIOY 2016: A.K.A. Yourter Tries to Make a Complete Game For Once!

Hello five people who bother to check this forum! I've returned, and I came up with a great idea. I have wanted to be a game designer for years. However, completing a game project has been my biggest challenge. If I recall correctly, the only game that I've ever released is a small lost game called "Money Cloud", and that was almost six years ago. So I decided that I need to push myself more, thus creating a "Make a Game In One Year", where I (obviously) make a game in a year! I've decided to try and make a "full" game by 1/1/2017.

What kind of game am I making? I decided to see if I can make a remake of Dr. Lunatic: Supreme with Cheese, as a tribute to the old game. It won't be as advanced, but my goal is that it'll add new stuff and be somewhat enjoyable. It'll be a fangame of sorts.

Currently, I am working on planning what I will add in terms of playable characters, new enemies, HUD design and adventure mode. I already have coding from a previous game project that is similar to what SWC would be in GM8, and I will try to recreate that in GameMaker: Studio.

If you guys have any questions, be sure to ask and I will answer when I can!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Re: MAGIOY 2016: A.K.A. Yourter Tries to Make a Complete Game For Once!

Couple words of advice:

Over the years back when studying game design I noticed that I was spending too much time early on in projects designing graphics and other resources as opposed to nailing down the engine/gameplay and other core concepts. After getting back into Unity more recently, I've found that doing things the opposite way tends to make a better project if you're pressed for time or have a set deadline as you do here. Games become better when we try new things and learn what does and doesn't work - the whole process, as with almost anything creative, is iterative.

Now, with my more recent projects, I've started out just using simple placeholder graphics as needed and spent most of my time in the early stages nailing down the gameplay and getting a rough concept of the game's story, characters, and locations. I've found that with this method, by the time I have most of the engine finished and gameplay fleshed out, I have a pretty good idea of what sort of style I want the art direction in the game to take and how the level design will work with the gameplay.

Extra Credits has a great video on the concept: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=rDjrOaoHz9s

It's been a very long time since I've done anything with GM8 personally, but I still have a decent memory of the program and GML if you run into any issues.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
Couple words of advice:

Over the years back when studying game design I noticed that I was spending too much time early on in projects designing graphics and other resources as opposed to nailing down the engine/gameplay and other core concepts. After getting back into Unity more recently, I've found that doing things the opposite way tends to make a better project if you're pressed for time or have a set deadline as you do here. Games become better when we try new things and learn what does and doesn't work - the whole process, as with almost anything creative, is iterative.

Now, with my more recent projects, I've started out just using simple placeholder graphics as needed and spent most of my time in the early stages nailing down the gameplay and getting a rough concept of the game's story, characters, and locations. I've found that with this method, by the time I have most of the engine finished and gameplay fleshed out, I have a pretty good idea of what sort of style I want the art direction in the game to take and how the level design will work with the gameplay.

Extra Credits has a great video on the concept: http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/?code=rDjrOaoHz9s

It's been a very long time since I've done anything with GM8 personally, but I still have a decent memory of the program and GML if you run into any issues.
Thanks Sonicchaos! That's some really helpful information, especially since I was trying to work on graphics and music beforehand. Bad idea, especially with the graphics.

I already have a bit of the engine made from a previous scrapped project, but I'm going to have a bit of a problem implementing menus, text boxes (like the Yerfdog information ones) and pause screens.

The biggest challenge will probably be the level editor, and managing keychains and loony keys among worlds. I'll likely wait until the game is finished until doing the level editor though.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12 View Post
Thanks Sonicchaos! That's some really helpful information, especially since I was trying to work on graphics and music beforehand. Bad idea, especially with the graphics.

I already have a bit of the engine made from a previous scrapped project, but I'm going to have a bit of a problem implementing menus, text boxes (like the Yerfdog information ones) and pause screens.

The biggest challenge will probably be the level editor, and managing keychains and loony keys among worlds. I'll likely wait until the game is finished until doing the level editor though.
If I were to do it, I would actually knock out the level editor after fleshing out engine and gameplay - that way you can use the editor itself to construct the actual levels themselves. IIRC, I think that's how the worlds in SWC were made, but I could be wrong.

I threw together a quick base for an editor that can be extended with additional objects and such, the real challenge though would be actually saving the files. You'd probably have to use .ini files to save all the needed variables. I would have one for each individual level containing object data, and another holding overall world data that indicates which is the hub level and links between them. Haven't done enough with them in a long time to make any sort of complex system at the moment, but this is a decent starting point.

Of course, you don't have to start with the editor if you don't want to - probably wouldn't be much difference functionally with the final levels being made once the editor is complete and .ini files are only really needed for add-on worlds/levels.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
yourter12
forever gone

That's what I thought of doing. I plan on creating everything needed for the tutorial world and the menu first, and finishing it by the end of the month since I do have midterms after MLK Day.

By the way, here's a little logo for one of the shops in the new SPISMall, called Coolstone Creamery. It replaces Yeti Bauer because Eddie Bauer doesn't seem to be as relevant anymore. And because I like ice cream.

Also, I now have a Tumblr for my project. Be sure to get your parents' permission, because although the page itself is and always will be family-friendly, the rest of Tumblr is not. Hopefully this link won't be taken down
Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
yourter12
forever gone

Trying to make Boneheads, having a hard time recreating AI.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
yourter12
forever gone

Really having trouble with the AI, and it's driving me nuts. Help needed asap.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
yourter12
forever gone

Day 5: Not much done with Monster AI and coding. Need as much help as I can get with that. Planning out the Tutorial World is going underway. Music is being created too - remixes and original compositions containing small letmotifs from SWC.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
yourter12
forever gone

Day 9: Things are slow, am currently starting from scratch in GameMaker; Studio. I managed to get down text boxes, which is a must considering I am first doing the tutorial world... which Yerfdog appears in.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
yourter12
forever gone

First video of DRL3!
Old 01-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Thumbs up Re: MAGIOY 2016: A.K.A. Yourter Tries to Make a Complete Game For Once!

Quote:
WOW!! Really excellent progress! It looks great.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #12
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
WOW!! Really excellent progress! It looks great.
Thanks! I plan on adding brains, exits, and standard enemies real soon. Enemy AI will be different from SWC's, however... but in a good way.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
yourter12
forever gone

MADE PROGRESS! But yeah, I made hubs, I made brains, I made hammers, and I am making tutorial land.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
yourter12
forever gone

Midterms are over, so I returned to implementing more code.
The Machete and Cherry Bombs have been added, next up is the AK-8087.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #15
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12
MADE PROGRESS!
Looking good! I'm assuming you're just using placeholder graphics for now (a good strategy as suggested by sonicchaos) but the gameplay seems to be very solid already. I really like how you added the interactive Yerfdog text, probably inspired by Undertale if I had to guess. The idea of combining RPG aspects to an updated Dr. Lunatic seems like a great concept to implement. Also I'm enjoying some of the remix tracks you put together. Very nice.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-23-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
yourter12
forever gone

Thanks! Here's a new vid showcasing the new stuff I've done.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #17
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Thumbs up Re: MAGIOY 2016: A.K.A. Yourter Tries to Make a Complete Game For Once!

Quote:
Thanks! Here's a new vid showcasing the new stuff I've done.
That looks like some really great progress!
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
That looks like some really great progress!
Thanks!

Also, I'm having issue with Mumbles & Boneheads colliding with water. Ideally, I want to make them not cross it, but do so without them freaking out when they touch water. Anyone able to help w/ that?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Thanks!

Also, I'm having issue with Mumbles & Boneheads colliding with water. Ideally, I want to make them not cross it, but do so without them freaking out when they touch water. Anyone able to help w/ that?
Not at home so I don't have access to GM8 right now, but what i would do is make a script that checks for water at a certain position, taking two arguments for the x and y-position of the location you want to check for a collision at. The psudocode for that script would be something like:
if object (water) at position (x,y) return true
else return false
That script would then return true if water is detected at the given position, and false if the position is free of water.

Assuming the movement code for the Mumble/Bonehead AI is the same as I last saw it, you could then add in a call to that script whenever it tries to move in that direction. Easiest way to do that would be to add "&& !isWater(x,y)" at the end of the if statements that check if the AI should move in a certain direction, replacing "isWater" with whatever you name the script and setting (x,y) to the position the AI is trying to move to (for example, if checking movement to the left, it would be something like (x - hSpeed, y).

I still have the Mumble/Bonehead code at home so I'll see if I can tweak that at some point this weekend for better collision detection.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #20
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
Not at home so I don't have access to GM8 right now, but what i would do is make a script that checks for water at a certain position, taking two arguments for the x and y-position of the location you want to check for a collision at. The psudocode for that script would be something like:
if object (water) at position (x,y) return true
else return false
That script would then return true if water is detected at the given position, and false if the position is free of water.

Assuming the movement code for the Mumble/Bonehead AI is the same as I last saw it, you could then add in a call to that script whenever it tries to move in that direction. Easiest way to do that would be to add "&& !isWater(x,y)" at the end of the if statements that check if the AI should move in a certain direction, replacing "isWater" with whatever you name the script and setting (x,y) to the position the AI is trying to move to (for example, if checking movement to the left, it would be something like (x - hSpeed, y).

I still have the Mumble/Bonehead code at home so I'll see if I can tweak that at some point this weekend for better collision detection.
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to seeing the collision detection coding.