Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
tyconger191
Badguy

Default Secretly terrifying places on the web

These are very scary places that will traumatize you if you aren't careful. When people say traumatize, you don't really think much of it. In fact, you often think they are over-exaggerating. I can promise you I am not. I have experience with very dark things because I have had a mentality that you should charge into darkness because then you'll build a resistance and grow used to it (which by the way is impossible, fear is like numbers, it goes on forever) and you'll no longer be afraid. That isn't my only motivator, I also look for inspiration in the dark corners of life. I was a fool and my curiosity got the best of me so many times. I can tell you things I have seen on the web have given me panic attacks and made me excessively paranoid. Since this is family friendly I thought I would exclude the name of number one. Number one is a private part of the internet where basically anything can go on in it. Everything horrible is there, but it is also used for good things...like records by the government or something I think. YouTube seems harmless, but if you dig deep and look under a microscope you'll find severely disturbing videos. No, I am not talking about the slender man or anything like that... I am talking about very frightening things that can make you constantly check those places out of sight or even be too afraid to check those places out of sight. You won't be able to find the scariest by just googling the scariest youtube videos probably, in fact you'll probably find mediocre ones. However there are horrifying things there, I promise you that. Not even good scary, they are just make you sick to your stomach scary. Some will make you think demons are out to get you. Some will make you think criminals are scarier than you previously thought. Some will plant disturbing images and sounds you can never get out of your head. These hidden videos have a major effect on you beyond slender man or any other ridiculous crud all over youtube that kids are watching. Finally there's Facebook, which as a lot of us know tends to have real violent videos that don't get taken down immediately and get extreme popularity. I reported one that very seriously should have been taken down, but apparently it didn't right away because of Facebook's standards? Yeah, just goes to show how cruddy web staff are for these large media sites.

#1 - ???
#2 - YouTube
#3 - Facebook

In summary be very careful on YouTube and Facebook. And #1 just using it can cause people to hijack your computer just by clicking a link and other creepy stuff, the harm in it is very real. You'll notice I didn't share any specific details with anybody here in this post about the harmful content and parts of the web I described. I am trying to protect/warn you because not only can it mentally harm you, but using the part of the web that "???" represents could cause dangerous people to be directly involved in your life, your real life, perhaps even stalk you and scare you, just use your imagination. The part of the web is used by the government and criminals a lot. Some of you will know what I am talking about, some of you won't.

Reasons: Boredom, Warning, Protect, Awareness

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default Re: Secretly terrifying places on the web

yo REACTOR you can't ju-

hang on

this isn't a REACTOR post

what is going on.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
yo REACTOR you can't ju-

hang on

what is going on.
What know Hyperme? Do you expect to see an academic article on this?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #4
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Question ???

What an odd thread.
I absolutely understand that youtube has its problems, especially when it comes to public comments. Facebook on the other hand is probably one of the tamest websites on the internet. Plus its content is controlled by your own interests so I'm not sure why you're finding anything vaguely "traumatic." If '???' is what I think it is then you're probably just seeing anonymous trolls and fake threats that have less weight than the navy seal copypasta. If it isn't what I'm thinking of then maybe your claims have some validity, but its inclusion on a list involving facebook and youtube suggests it's not too deep web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme

what is going on.
I concur.
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
tyconger191
Badguy

Default Re: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
1. removed horrible non-Hamumu fun stuff from quote, because *shudders*

2. curiosity != stupidity. with that attitude we'd of never left the oceans.

3. visiting DEEP-DARK WEB will not magical get your computer hacked. This not how networking works.
Clicking on links can make them be able to hijack your computer, especially on windows it will be easier for them to.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default Re: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconger191 View Post
Clicking on links can make them be able to hijack your computer, especially on windows it will be easier for them to.
Yeah no. Clicking on a link is not magically going to hijack your computer. Downloading dubious software might, but that's an entirely different issue.

Due to the way you access DEEP-DARK Web, you can't just be randomly 'hacked' by clicking a link. That's not how the protocol works.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
seamonkey
spoon eater

Time to chime in I guess.
For starters lets be clear about what these words mean, the deepweb and the darknet are not the same thing. Or rather the darknet is a subset of the deepweb. The deepweb refers to any section of the internet that isn't archived/known about by search engines. This is most of the internet. Most of the deepweb consists of random data that is stored in the internet - notably climate data. Another huge chunk is the section of the deepweb that many people use. I use it myself almost every week: databases. For example whenever I do research I'll use Jstor - none of which is archived by a search engine outside Jstor itself. Visiting the deep web is about as safe as any other website, if not safer. (less visitors)
The darknet is a subset of this which involves websites that require some specific software or authorization etc. The example that comes to mind are tor hidden services - websites located within the tor network. I'll be the first to admit you probably shouldn't go to a tor website unless you have in idea of where it leads first, but honestly I can't think of a situation in which you would come across a tor URL without some context around it that indicates where it leads etc.

Now lets talk about viruses. For starters the darkweb/deepweb are not particularly prone to give you a virus. Virus creators almost always want to spread their program far and wide. (there are of course exceptions to this rule, such as nation-state level malware, or other malware targeted at a specific person) If you think about it placing your virus in a link on a random darknet website isn't likely to get many clicks which makes it not a great place to spread the virus. Most malware/viruses etc (I'll admit I'm playing pretty fast and loose with this terminology), propagate via being bundled in installers of software, and via phishing. (and more to the point spear phishing. Gotta love the classic macro-virus) That isn't to say that more technical and subversive delivery mechanisms don't exist - ads delivering malware through an exploit, and something about confusing the browser into thinking the tab is an irc session (I think...I read this paper ages ago), are a couple of examples - but browsers generally have ways of detecting and deflecting them, the bugs are almost immediately patched, and the technical know-how making these things much rarer are all reasons to not really be concerned about this kind of thing.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
tyconger191
Badguy

Sorry folks

Last edited by tyconger191; 03-29-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Megadog
The Demagogue

Wow, I completely missed all the fun.

You should be careful on the net in general, but not super paranoid. Generally, just having a good antivirus software is enough to keep you safe.

Content wise, you're on the internet. You will most likely eventually see things that are NSFW, in some description. The best way to act is to be mature about it, and if it is illegal, report it to the police.