Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017
Old 03-26-2016, 03:51 AM   #1
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Default New Worlds

Salutations, everybody!

I have definitely NOT been active around here, not nearly as much as the good ol' days. Since then I have graduated, joined the work force and gotten involved in all sorts of creative endeavors. Needless to say, time spent playing/making levels for SWC is all but gone.

OR IS IT??

I was going through a lot of my unfinished worlds (there were quite a few) and I realized I desperately didn't want to see them get lost forever without being released in some way. So I decided that I would ultimately finish what I started, so many years ago. At least then, they might be enjoyed by someone beside myself!

So I took all of my "almost-complete" worlds and packaged them up to actually be completed. And for the worlds that I barely started or wasn't anywhere near being finished with, I mashed those up into one, giant world. It was a lot of hard work, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

And now I've uploaded them to the World Testing Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com/) for testers to try out. There are 4 separate worlds total. 3 'normal' sized ones, and one epic that is the aforementioned big, collection of small, incomplete worlds.

I understand that this community has gone rather quiet and the chances of anyone playing these are slim. But hey, they're out there for anyone who wants to try 'em out! And if somebody could vogue to Jamul that these world's are complete, I'd greatly appreciated it. If there are any problems, I'll be keeping in touch with this thread!

P.S. Playing these worlds through again made me realize something about my former self... I had a strange obsession with boss mash-ups
Old 03-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Hey, this sounds great! I'll try to play through them sometime next week.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-26-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: New Worlds

Woot! I always enjoy exciting new content around the forum, I think I'll try the worlds sometime soon. But I do have one question, are you known as Rikardo?

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-27-2016 at 12:57 AM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Yes, that would be me. But I just changed my name to what I am known as around here so there's no confusion.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
Yes, that would be me. But I just changed my name to what I am known as around here so there's no confusion.
Ahh, I see. But what does "Hyding" mean?

Also, I think you forgot to include the text, image, etc... files for the worlds, because there are pauses in the game which indicate missing files.

Last edited by REACTOR; 04-02-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Woops! I completely forgot! They should be in there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR
Ahh, I see. But what does "Hyding" mean?
It is a purposeful misspelling of Hiding. There's something of a joke in there, but it's difficult to explain... Needless to say, it has something to do with the city being called "cogneito".
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
Woops! I completely forgot! They should be in there now.

It is a purposeful misspelling of Hiding. There's something of a joke in there, but it's difficult to explain... Needless to say, it has something to do with the city being called "cogneito".
I see. Also, I have spotted a few more things. I noticed that your song files are in .mp3 format. Are you sure they work in Dr L SWC? As I have read everywhere, the game only uses .ogg formatted songs. Also, do you own the song scarylow.ogg? I'm asking because I have been looking for the music composer of this piece for over a year.

Last edited by REACTOR; 04-07-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Hm, I think I've been removed from the world testing dropbox files. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place.
Any info on how to access that? I remember Jamul added me initially so I'm not sure what happened.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 04-15-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Hm, I think I've been removed from the world testing dropbox files. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place.
Any info on how to access that? I remember Jamul added me initially so I'm not sure what happened.
It should be "Supreme_Addons" in your Dropbox root. Unless I'm misremembering your identity, though, I don't see your name on the list of users with access. Probably could get in touch with Jamul for that, or I or Pewskeepski could upload the worlds elsewhere.

I will probably take a look at the worlds sometime too, it's always great to see new stuff and I wish I had time to formally review worlds more often. I also have an abandoned-worlds compilation world I was working on that could use some more polish...
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Woops, forgot about the whole .mp3 thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
Also, do you own the song scarylow.ogg? I'm asking because I have been looking for the music composer of this piece for over a year.
I used the song "scary_low.ogg" in a previous world (Sleepless Castle) but for some reason, in my files, it was called simply "scary.ogg". I just renamed it to "scary_low.ogg" for avoidance of confusion.

Although, looking through, I've realized I actually didn't use this piece of music at all in these three worlds. I'll leave it there, though, because I didn't include it with the aforementioned "Sleepless Castle".

Last edited by Pewskeepski; 04-15-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: sentences
Pewskeepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Ok so I've played through Hyding and Castle Island to completion, and I'm about halfway through the giant mashup world. I'll write up a full analysis/bug report once I'm done, but there's not much that needs fixing, if anything at all. Anyways I've been having a lot of fun with them! The Darth Pookie world is especially entertaining considering how much variety there is. Also the music is great and it's super refreshing playing levels with new songs. I've been fairly busy but I'll try to finish up soon, I just wanted to give an update since it took me a while to get around to them.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 04-27-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 06-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Exclamation Re: New Worlds

I've played through 33% of the world 'The Empire Of Darth Pookie", and so far I'm finding it enjoyable. I have spotted no bugs but I do have some things to say on quality.
*I have noticed that there are a lot of levels which are, sorry to put this in a blunt way, filler-type. While they are certainly enjoyable to some players, for those like me who have played many worlds playing levels which seem to be "monster-in-a-box" variations can get tedious and boring. I would suggest that they are deleted or improved as I would mention in my second point.
*This world would certainly need some sprucing up. It needs to have some aesthetic qualities as well. The surroundings seem rather bland and as a consequence it conveys boredom to the player. I would recommend that you do some universe planning for the world such as where it's set (is it on Earth or another planet), what the unique aspects of it are (e.g. are there any mysterious creatures or interesting locations?) and then try to implement them in your world. Currently, the world is looking like any other. If you like, you can assign me a level to spruce up so I can give you an example, or look at HappyStikBeaver's "Gloom Valley" for a feel of what I mean.
*Lastly, I would like to see more plot progression. The numerous levels I have played so far are meandering. For instance, in "Bank Robbery" why did Bouapha have to rob the bank?