Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 10-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Yerfdog BHE2015: Gloom Valley Beta Release!

Happy BHE Everyone!

It's the moment all three of you have been waiting for:
Spookiton 2: Revenge of the Yerf Gloom Valley, the massive Supreme with Cheese add-on I've been working on for almost half a decade! I've been hyping this up for a while now and it's definitely worth the wait. Totally unbiased opinion there.
Features 25 full levels of action-packed adventure!
Uses every new feature of 8.0 including new JSPs and tons of bullet changes!
Almost zero monster-in-a-box levels!
Compelling story full of unexpected twists!
Bouapha wears RED pants!? WHAT?
It's everything you've ever wanted in an add-on, yours for just 3 easy payments of $9.99 $0.00!

What are you waiting for? Download now at the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mn895efft...IAxLs7uqa?dl=0
And also tell me all of the problems with it, because this is the testing phase. I'm hoping it'll become an official add-on eventually.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 10-31-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Thumbs up Re: BHE2015: Gloom Valley Beta Release!

OH MY GOD!! I'm so going to test this! Nice BHE surprise by the way!

Edit: You might want to sort the files into folders, such as music, user, worlds for convenience.

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-31-2015 at 06:18 PM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Default Re: BHE2015: Gloom Valley Beta Release!

Played everything before the bridge, and it's been pretty nice! The world is very pleasing aesthetically, and the levels themselves are fairly fun to play.

Some issues I've found, mostly minor stuff:
  • Yerfdog can sometimes drop an item when changing places in the hub
  • You can enter the house in Island of the Undead without pressing the switch first
  • You can also enter the house without a hammer and get stuck. It is in plain sight though, so you can probably chalk it up to the player if you want to
  • In The Lake, the bombs aren't enough to take out the Egg Sacs when playing on Hard difficulty
  • You win in The Druids regardless of which druid wins the fight. It's fine as a fallback since you don't have much control over the fight, but it doesn't make the most sense for the story
Old 10-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!

One bug: You have to change the name of "goodjob.txt". There is already an addon which contains a text-file of the same name. If your world gets released on the addons page you wouldn't want your file to replace another file of the same name.

I found this potentially critical error while copying the data from your folder over to my LunaticSupreme directory. Windows came up with a pop-up window asking me whether I was really sure that I wanted to replace so and so file. Certainly it was not made by me and it could not be part of the Biannual Merge participants work (different naming convention prevents this from happening). I've been downloading many worlds from the site recently.

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-31-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up Gloom Valley Beta Release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone
Some issues I've found, mostly minor stuff
Thanks for the feedback. I think I got everything you mentioned. Totally forgot that difficulty affects special weapon damage so now there's an extra bomb. The Druids level needed a big update after I played on Difficult (which I should have done already) so now it's much more balanced, and you have a bit more control over the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR
One bug: You have to change the name of "goodjob.txt". There is already an addon which contains a text-file of the same name
Yeah that was a mistake on my part. That file isn't part of my world, it just got copied on accident. It's been deleted now.

New file is up on Dropbox now.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 10-31-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I'm currently 20% through the world, and so I find the levels to be increasingly good and crafty. The overall environment is nicely put together as well, very aesthetic.

*But I've noticed an inconsistency. In the Yerfdog-text for "The Ruins" the "Yerf!" signature is not separated by one line like in other levels, and in "Catacombs" there is no "Yerf!" signature at the end. I think it would improve the overall complementary atmosphere if you had some consistency to all the text-files.

Edit:*In "Boiler Issues", I've noticed the following bugs.
>You can summon the dark-vampire again even though the brightness has been turned off.
>There should be something that guides you to talk to Yerfdog first before opening the room with the key you got.
>At the beginning of the level, you can bump into Yerfdog several times which shows the same message, this doesn't happen in other levels.

Double Edit:*In the Yerfdog-text which talks about the three tombs in the hub level, it reads a bit discordantly. I think the "though" should be in the second sentence close to the end of the document.

Tripe Edit:*In "The Gorge", I've noticed that at the end of the Yerfdog-text there is this line: [error:678_end_steam] Is this deliberate?

Last edited by REACTOR; 11-01-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I've noticed some more bugs...

*In "The Gorge", trying to hit the one post to the right is impossible! Also, the special near the sign which says "Secret level" is out of whack teleporation (235,50) that transports you into a wall.

Edit: I've noticed that in "Sorcellerie au Cemetire" one of the tiles that activates the witches powers isn't lit like the others.

Double Edit: In "The Graveyard Complex" the IcyMusic seems to stop, and some sounds loop-back. Though I am not sure whether it's more of a problem with the game than the world because people have reported looping sounds with version 8.0d before.

Last edited by REACTOR; 11-02-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up Re: BHE2015: Gloom Valley Beta Release!

Quote:
*In "The Gorge", trying to hit the one post to the right is impossible! Also, the special near the sign which says "Secret level" is out of whack teleporation (235,50) that transports you into a wall.
Yikes, that's a fairly large oversight by me. I'm not sure how the teleportation got messed up, considering (235, 50) isn't even a point in the level. The barrel puzzle is now fixed as well; I thought I had made that part easier (as my brother was having trouble) but instead I just made it impossible.

Quote:
In "The Graveyard Complex" the IcyMusic seems to stop, and some sounds loop-back.
This is intentional. The sound loop is actually supposed to be rain! Once you step into the graveyard the music is supposed to turn on and stay on. It's working for me, but I'm not sure if there's another issue that you're experiencing.

I think I've gotten everything you've mentioned now. I sightly edited the tombs text file so it reads a bit better. The catacombs message was supposed to have a "yerf" at the end but it got cut off without my noticing. Now it's fixed. The error in the one message is supposed to be there but it's kind of stupid so I might take it out later.
Thanks for the help!

New files are now available on Dropbox.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-02-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I'm at about 58% completion right now, here are my comments so far. You might have already fixed a couple of these.

The Beast Within
* The cellar entrance teleporter is finicky
* The entrance has no sound, but the exit does

Boiler Troubles
* Cellar entrance is finicky

Magical Grasslands
* There's an opening in the trees to the right of the Mush confrontation

Island of the Undead
* It's impossible to exit the cabin back the way you came - you get stuck in a corner
* Holding down inside the cabin shows out-of-level areas
Haunted Cathedral
* "Abandoned" is misspelled in yerfdog's message

Botany Tower
* Going up the stairs past the bedbugs and then back down gets you stuck.
* The keychain - am I just supposed to replay the level until I get a machete randomly?

The Gorge
* There's two tiles of missing floor at the top of the far left area.

The Barracks
* The hittable wall at the far left seems to lose an extra tile to the left.

Sorcellerie au Cemetiere
* Taking the raft can force you to restart the level because you land on top of the witch and get stuck.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Some more comments/bugs!

The Decrepid Dungeon: When you must go to the part to unlock the main entrance, it can be misunderstood easily. The two signs which say "Go this way for reward" and "Go this way to open the Dungeon", can be mistaken for two starting points when they are not (unless I am making an assumption here). In which case I think those two signs should be replaced with arrow signs (Sign 5 and Sign 6 in Items for example). Also, the candles are impossible to get to! As well as there being a potential for the player being trapped on a Dark Vampire when rafting.

Caustic Chamber: It's impossible to pass! Unless I am missing something? I can't seem to get passed the first few steps, I summoned the raft and then have no idea where to go next.

The Botany Tower: At the beginning of the level when the cart moves to the other end it sometimes drops a random item. Also, when I defeated the Thing boss I couldn't progress through the level. I was stuck!

The Gorge: There are two stray black blocks near the exit.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #11
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac
I'm at about 58% completion right now, here are my comments so far. You might have already fixed a couple of these.
Quote:
Some more comments/bugs!
Once again thanks for the pointers. I've attempted to fix everything you've both mentioned and touched up a couple of things myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac
* The keychain - am I just supposed to replay the level until I get a machete randomly?
Here's the solution to that:
You push the box in front of the tower until it hits the drain. I added a bit of lighting to maybe make it more clear.

Quote:
The Decrepid Dungeon: When you must go to the part to unlock the main entrance, it can be misunderstood easily. The two signs which say "Go this way for reward" and "Go this way to open the Dungeon", can be mistaken for two starting points when they are not (unless I am making an assumption here). In which case I think those two signs should be replaced with arrow signs (Sign 5 and Sign 6 in Items for example). Also, the candles are impossible to get to! As well as there being a potential for the player being trapped on a Dark Vampire when rafting.

Caustic Chamber: It's impossible to pass! Unless I am missing something? I can't seem to get passed the first few steps, I summoned the raft and then have no idea where to go next.
Here's some explanations for those:
I've diagrammed two paths for the Dungeon. The candles are tough to get but possible. Let me know if they're too tricky and I can change it.

For Caustic Crypt, you have to wake the mumble up and lure him onto the pressure plate as shown. Then a hammer drops which you use to smash the wooden post behind the mumble in the picture:

Once again thanks for the help. Updated files are available on Dropbox.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-03-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 11-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Shameless double-post:
I changed a few things. First I added a couple of sounds to some levels like The Gorge.

Also for clarification purposes the wooden post that you can destroy with hammers (in a bunch of levels) has been turned cyan to differentiate it from other wooden posts.
Hopefully that makes things a bit more self explanatory. Also adds a bit of color.

And the other thing I changed is somewhat spoilery:
Once you win the very last level, a global var is changed which deletes yerfdog and his message in every level. Mostly for continuity reasons.
Now if you play the castle levels before the gorge or if you replay anything yerfdog won't seem out of place.

So the new file is available but it's nothing super important.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-05-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Exclamation Re: BHE2015: Gloom Valley Beta Release!

I've tested your world again, and I found these bugs:

Hub Level: Aesthetic Error
>The Yerfdog message that appears in the section of the hub after you cross the bridge does not have a "Yerf!" signature on it like the others.

Magical Grasslands: Aesthetic Error
>The "Yerf!" signature at the end of the Yerfdog message is not spaced apart like in the other messages.

Sorcellerie au Cemetire: Aesthetic Error
>The "Yorf!" signature at the end of the Yerfdog message is not spaced apart like in the other messages.

Decrepid Dungeon: Convenience Error
>I would suggest adding an entrance that will return you back to the hub near the entrance to this level. Once the candles are collected, it can be frustrating having to go one extra step to appear there. Although all you have to do is give-up, that option in the menu sends your hurling back to the beginning of the hub level, and thus you have to make your way up again.

Decrepid Dungeon: Critial Errors
>The player can easily get the boxes stuck near the metal boxes and thus having to start the level all over again. I would suggest adding a tile that looks the same as in the area, except that it cannot be pushed on. Or, you can summon the wooden boxes in certain positions so if the player places it in an unlucky spot, it gets destroyed and a new one spawns. Lastly, when the Robopumpkins are unleashed not all the boxes on the pressue plates get destroyed.

Also, when I unlocked the passage north of the fountain and walked inside, I got killed because a burner spawned on top of me. Safety valves ensuring the player does not walk in the path of the burners needed!

Botany Tower: Critial Error
>The pressure plate at the bottom room to the thing boss can be easily passed, and if the player defeats it without first triggering the plate then he/she has to restart the entire level.

Caustic Crip: Convenience Error
>When I win the level, it doesn't send me to the level entrance in the hub like what others do. Unless it's intentional.

Chateu Vampy: Critical Errors
>I went to the area with the loose tiles and fell in, but once I defeated those vampires I was stuck. I couldn't progress anywhere. Also, trying to get to the seedling by raft is impossible as there is an impassible item blocking the way.

Chateu Vampy II: Grammer Mistake
>In the lines "he had killed me we first met", there should be a "when" put in after "me".

Hub Level: Critial Error
>After I finished Chateu Vampy II and appeared on top of the tower, I couldn't get down because there was a wall blocking me.

The Gorge: Frustrating Aspect and Critical Error
>When trying to jetpack over the level it's really hard to accomplish. There are so many bats flying in your way that if you hit one of them and bounce back, you can easily end up in the abyss and have to restart the level.

Trying to reach the secret level is impossible! I can't get inside the dark cave to access it.

Though despite these errors it's still an entertaining world. I see you have made it a continuation of the plot from Loonyland I. But I'm wondering whether the vampire boss in that game is named Sparky?

Last edited by REACTOR; 12-18-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Yerfdog \_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I've tested your world again, and I found these bugs:
Once again, thanks for all of your help with this project. I guess the moral of the story is that I shouldn't substitute quality for meeting imaginary deadlines. Anyways, here's what I changed:

A bunch of text inconsistencies are fixed, including the yerf messages and the grammar mistake in the final level.

Decrepit Dungeon now has a real word in the title, and now has a teleporter after grabbing the candles, and a crate generator in the stockboy section. All the crates now disappear once the Robopumpkins show up. Also, you shouldn't have a problem with the Burners/lava area any more.

You can't kill The Thing before hitting the pressure plate any more. I'm really glad you noticed this problem because I completely overlooked it.

Caustic Crypt has fixed coordinates for when you win the level now.

In the Gorge level I added impassible items to keep bats out of the jetpack area.

Chateau Vampy needed a whole bunch of problems solved. For starters I change a couple of aesthetic inconsistencies, as well as where you find the candle. I also fixed the raft problem like you mentioned and made it so you can actually beat the level.

The final level also needed a few adjustments, including changing the boss's name (thanks for noticing). Finally, you can descend the castle wall once you win the level.

Anyways, for all of you Hamumu users out there, (What are there, three of you? Four?) Gloom Valley is now much closer to being a complete product thanks to REACTOR. Grab the updated files from the Dropbox link for an excitingly playable SWC experience!

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 12-19-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I've tested it again, and came up with more errors I haven't spotted before:

{In General Throughout The World} : Realistic Error
>[I would suggest that at spots where you placed your left and right Arch items,
you place down walls that look like the bottom walls of the Arches and then place
the arch items on top of those walls. The non-transparent parts of the Arches can
be shot and walked through and this makes a jarring effect.]

{L'Araignee} : Consistency Error
>[I've noticed that you can only bump into Yerfdog once, compared
to other levels where you can bump into him for an unlimited number of
times. You might also want to check other levels to make sure the number
of uses for the Yerfdog special is consistent.]

{Sorcellerie au Cemetire} : Critical Error
>[The witch can get killed by monsters spawning
on top of her if she walks in the path of the spawns,
and thus if this happens the player has to restart the level.

Also, the player can get killed if the witch spawns on top of
them if they walk through the archway at the beginning of the
level.]

{The Forgotten Tomb} : Miss-Count Error
>[You should also check for number of Coffins, as
the message that says "Vamps vanquished" pops up even
though you still have one or so more vampires to kill
which are still hibernating in their coffins.]

{The Botany Tower} : Potentially Critical Error
>[If you walk up along the first path you can
get stuck at the Thing boss level. The stones that
appear after you step on the pressue plate can be
a pain.]

{The Barracks} : In-Complete Bypass Error
>[I am assuimg that when you play this level again, the
keys that are summoned near the Mess Hall are for you to open
the Mess Hall? In which case, you should also add to the special
another effect that destroys the barrier that blocks you from
entering the Mess Hall during the first steps of the level.]

{An Unsettling Message} : Missing File Error
>[stikmessage.bmp is missing.]

{The Den} : Too Easy
>[I would suggest removing the invisible barrier that keeps the wolf back,
because at the moment the level is so easy that you can play it in your sleep.]

{Chateu Vampy} : Boxes Error
>[When moving the boxes to stop the boneheads from overwhelming the player,
the player can easily get one box stuck behind a sign and thus have to restart
the level.]

{Chateu Vampy II} : Plot Unresolved And Music Errors
>[I've noticed that there is no message which pops up on Yerfdog's part
thanking you for saving him. To end it in such a way without any resolve seems
discordant. Also, I've noticed there is no music. Is that intentional?]

Also, on a side note what does "3 Poopy 5 Me" mean?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 AM   #16
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up Gloom Valley

Quote:
I've tested it again, and came up with more errors I haven't spotted before:
All important things to fix. Sadly I'm having some network trouble (again) with my WinXP computer, which means it'll have to transfer all the files to my new computer soon. In the meantime, I found this 'concept art' in a notebook from 2010. It's the original schematic for The Lake, one of the first levels I made:

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-04-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 AM   #17
REACTOR
Question the trends!

What is the status currently?
Old 01-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Waiting to get my desktop at university. Right now I'm stuck with a chromebook so I can't access Supreme (or any vidya for that matter). I'll let you know when I can continue updates.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-30-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 05-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
PurpleKoopa
Koopatactular!

I am seriously impressed by the sheer amount of work and effort put into this world - from its meticulously designed levels to its variety of monsters, the amount of detail really shows! I'm still working through it a few hours later (60%!), which speaks for its length and volume, I'd say. These later levels are pretty brutal! But it's a challenge that makes you want to keep going.

Like any beta, there are still a few kinks here and there ("The Den" seems under-detailed compared to other levels; occasional spelling errors, e.g. "Serphants"), but overall, I'd call it an Adventure of Bouapha in its own right. That's nothing to sneeze at. Excellent work.

Also, nice thorny vine tiles! I wonder where you got them from...

EDIT: Aaaaaand 100%! Very nice! I'll put my comments underneath a spoiler here...

• I switched from Hard to Normal for the three old tombs due to difficulty, specifically so I could survive the boss fights. Maybe this speaks more on my abilities as a player than the level design, but those cactus spines and Burner flames are a pain in the toosh!
  • Speaking of the three old tombs, it's entirely possible to enter the castle without beating all of them, despite Yerfdog insisting otherwise. Elsewhere, The Den, and An Unsettling Message don't have the Secret Level flags, so I think that's where the problem lies.
  • "The Castle Has Opened" message appears even when you've already beaten the Chateau Vampy levels. Looking at the editor, I see there's a separate special with a Delete Special effect for that message, but it doesn't actually delete it in time to stop that message from appearing. I think you could fix this if the message-making special triggers were "If player has passed 19 Levels or More" AND "NOT If player has passed level Chateau Vampy II".
  • I'm not sure if this is a 8.0d thing or what, since it didn't happen in any other levels, but about halfway through Chateau Vampy (around the skeleton generators, I think?), the game hits some graphical glitches. The curvy red Dr. L text used in titles, messages, and the title screen disappears completely until you restart the program. Also, certain tiles turn to black as you move farther to the right.
  • You can't fight the final boss again once you've already won - which makes sense from a story standpoint, but I'm not sure if instantly winning the level upon re-entry is what to go for here.

Last edited by PurpleKoopa; 05-30-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: additional feedback
PurpleKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up Gloom Valley ??? Release!

Thanks for the compliments and help testing, PK. Gloom Valley owes a lot to your art and level design. The Goofy Groves are some of the best add-ons around and acted as great inspiration. Even though I made/edited a bunch of tiles for GV, your fantastic vines helped me out in a few places. Once I start work on the world again I'm going to add some credits in somewhere, listing the people who helped out on the project in terms of tiles, art, and testing.

Speaking of which, I really should start up again. I have my computer set up with Supreme again so look for an update soon. Here's what I'm planning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKoopa
comments
You're right about the tombs; I initially built the world using normal difficulty (poor choice) and during testing began to simplify the levels that were too intense. The tombs kind of got skipped over, considering how tough they were to begin with. I'm going to make some changes there to make them more reasonable.
Similarly I'll clean up some of the specials near the end of the world (level tags, etc). I'll probably add in a level entrance for the boss fight which appears once the player beats it as well. The instant-win thing was probably a mistake, I'll look into that.
I'll fix any spelling errors too, I'm sure there's some I missed in the older levels.
I haven't experienced the issue with Chateau Vampy, but if it happens to me I'll try to determine a cause.
Quote:
more errors
I think I've fixed most of these, but I'll check them out again soon. For the witch level I'm considering adding impassible items over the certain spawn points to avoid insta-killing Bouapha or the pygmy. That level has a few other parts that might need work so expect some minor changes. Also, the message is supposed to read "spoopy" but I'll make sure I didn't forget the s.

Other changes include beefing up the den a bit, fixing up the druids (and probably changing their title to something logical) and adding a checkpoint to the final castle.

Once again thanks to all for the help!

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 05-31-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit