Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Default Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

Test 8.0, report your problems.

-The Hamumu screen takes a very long time to pass, and I can't log in. It shuts down.
-Also, when I succesfully pass the Hamumu screen, the game plays sound and music correctly, and from experience I can navigate menus, but the only way to view what I'm doing is to open the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and press escape.

The coloring issue is fixed, apparently. Yay. If I can play it that's awesome.

Last edited by cyberclone42; 05-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

I played The Graveyard out Back (from CAoM) and the music played only once. After the first play-though it went silent and didn't restart from the beginning, but then when I got all the candles the jingling sound repeatedly played until the end of the level.

Also a quick note that I noticed even before this was released: Ghosts don't teleport randomly. When I hit them, they always teleport a little ways to the north-west of Bouapha. It sounds like a similar problem which occurred a long time ago with the Pygmy Queen only summoning Ultra-Pygmies in the same location.

This problem doesn't occur with the ghosts in Sleepless Hollow, btw.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

First, some responses to Journal comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog
I would so love to see this happen for all the older games!
I do have some specific enhancements in mind for several of the remaining games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat
seconded! hopefully more worlds will be released
I am working on a world of my own to help demonstrate the abilities of the new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
Of course, it always did this - but if you bounce out and back in, the screen color turns up wonky.
That's definitely not normal, one of the major points of this update was to fix that. Could you provide any more details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan
The game randomly lags/jumps at points.
When there are sound effects, the music often stops.
---
I set the sound limit to a higher number, and the "stopping music" bug seems to be fixed now.
On another note, if SpaceManiac is willing to add more features, I'd like a "summon bullet" function.
That lag could be "normal", but do you notice any pattern? Thanks for the comments on the music bug. I suspected it might be related to too many sounds playing, and you confirmed it was. Turns out that if all sound channels were taken, and a sound had to override a lower-priority sound instead, it would use the channel ID instead of the voice number of that sound to stop it, so if the channel ID matched the voice number of the music, it'd stop the music (and almost never stop the sound it wanted to). The line of code in question has been rectified.

Hammer Up also suggested a summon bullet function to me and I'll be seeing what I can do in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
-The Hamumu screen takes a very long time to pass, and I can't log in. It shuts down.
-Also, when I succesfully pass the Hamumu screen, the game plays sound and music correctly, and from experience I can navigate menus, but the only way to view what I'm doing is to open the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and press escape.
Could you provide some more details? Is the screen blacked out? How does having Task Manager open help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
I played The Graveyard out Back (from CAoM) and the music played only once. After the first play-though it went silent and didn't restart from the beginning, but then when I got all the candles the jingling sound repeatedly played until the end of the level.

Also a quick note that I noticed even before this was released: Ghosts don't teleport randomly. When I hit them, they always teleport a little ways to the north-west of Bouapha. It sounds like a similar problem which occurred a long time ago with the Pygmy Queen only summoning Ultra-Pygmies in the same location.
Along with bowserfan this info on the sound helped me fix the music bug. I also fixed the ghost issue, and possibly other issues with random things in the process (turns out trying to use rand() for things over RAND_MAX isn't very clever).

The newest fixes will be passed on to Jamul when I get around to it and onto the My Downloads page when he gets around to it.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
bowserfan

Post Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
That lag could be "normal", but do you notice any pattern?
It's not normal. I didn't have any lag in earlier versions.

I'm not too sure about this, but it seems to lag/jump whenever I scoll the screen, in the editor and the game.

EDIT: Ok, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with scrolling. If I just stand in one place, it works smoothly.

Last edited by bowserfan; 05-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Alright, windowed mode works. Testing now. Looks great.
In answer to SM's question, my FPS for the game was literally zero, so I had to "change the frame" it was showing, if that makes sense.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
bowserfan

Not really bug related, but nevertheless...

Using the magic of JSPedit and SWC 8.0, I was able to create Thingzilla. It's amazing how much they're alike.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Hammered
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
Of course, it always did this - but if you bounce out and back in, the screen color turns up wonky.

That's definitely not normal, one of the major points of this update was to fix that. Could you provide any more details?
If it helps, the exit was not initiated by me - I was doing a background install of another application and it grabbed control to ask if it was OK to make changes in the applicable directory.

If that isn't enough, I can try to recreate it.

Last edited by Hammered; 05-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
predcon
Corporate Hatchetman of DOOM!

I'm having some issues with scaling in Fullscreen mode. I can't get the screen to display in the proper 4:3 ratio, and the Catalyst menu's GPU-scaling function doesn't fix it. Playing in a window works, but it's so darn small.

On the other hand, everything in the game is so bulbous I can hardly tell the difference between 4:3 and 16:10 (stretched).

I'm also having issues with the music stopping abruptly (seemingly at random). I think this was an issue with v7.x. There shouldn't be so many 'voices' playing that the game decides it has to stop playing the music to save RAM. But on a level like 'SEAL Hunt' it's possible, where each character is armed with an AK-8087. That many rapid-firing weapons firing at once, trying to play their 'pew-pew' noises at the same time could just about do it.

Last edited by predcon; 05-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.
predcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
Alright, windowed mode works. Testing now. Looks great.
In answer to SM's question, my FPS for the game was literally zero, so I had to "change the frame" it was showing, if that makes sense.
Sillyman mentioned having a similar problem in the HamChat, so I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
If it helps, the exit was not initiated by me - I was doing a background install of another application and it grabbed control to ask if it was OK to make changes in the applicable directory.

If that isn't enough, I can try to recreate it.
I'll see if I can manage to recreate it myself. Are you on Windows 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predcon View Post
I'm having some issues with scaling in Fullscreen mode. I can't get the screen to display in the proper 4:3 ratio, and the Catalyst menu's GPU-scaling function doesn't fix it. Playing in a window works, but it's so darn small.

On the other hand, everything in the game is so bulbous I can hardly tell the difference between 4:3 and 16:10 (stretched).

I'm also having issues with the music stopping abruptly (seemingly at random). I think this was an issue with v7.x. There shouldn't be so many 'voices' playing that the game decides it has to stop playing the music to save RAM. But on a level like 'SEAL Hunt' it's possible, where each character is armed with an AK-8087. That many rapid-firing weapons firing at once, trying to play their 'pew-pew' noises at the same time could just about do it.
Grab 8.0a from the My Downloads page; this should fix the music bug (in fact, SEAL Hunt was the level we noticed the problem on - see above for a description of the actual problem). Were you able to get pre-8.0-Supreme to show at the correct ratio in fullscreen? I'm lucky enough to have a monitor which can maintain the aspect ratio for me.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Simple one here: The layering issue with the green "level complete" cross appearing infront of boupha when bouapha should be in front.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Hammered
Nailed It!

Quote:
I'll see if I can manage to recreate it myself. Are you on Windows 7?
Yes!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
predcon
Corporate Hatchetman of DOOM!

I think the music bug is fixed now. I haven't encountered it in a while so I'll assume it's gone for the time being.

Running over the parked and moving You-Gos in the Mall parking lot counts towards my "Monsters Run Over" tally, apparently. I was able to rack up the necessary 100 to unlock the 'DUI' Gallery Goal.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Hammered
Nailed It!

This is not a bug or a fix, just something I asked for quite a while ago that I think would be fairly simple to implement.

I would like a couple of system variables, one for current date and one for current time. Why? I would like to be able to dress the level according to the current season, which I could determine from the date and I would like to be able to change the level lighting based on the actual time of day.

Imagine the fun of being able to provide a real life day counter to actual Halloween in an HH level or Christmas in a WW level. In the weeks before Christmas there could be and extra level goal to acquire presents or decorate; just a couple of days before, the decorations are up, but you have to wrap the presents; on Christmas day, the presents are there and you get to open them, shortly after Christmas, you return the presents for coins and buy the hammers you wanted all along.

You get the idea anyway, very little work for you (hopefully), but a fun thing for the builders to put in their worlds for some extra little twists.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Hammered
Nailed It!

Could you give us a little information on how exactly to set up the custom jsp, like where does it pull them from? When I choose the option, I just get a thunking noise. I am thinking that I don't have any custom jsps in wherever they need to be.

Last edited by Hammered; 05-27-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
bowserfan

Quote:
Could you give us a little information on how exactly to set up the custom jsp, like where does it pull them from? When I choose the option, I just get a thunking noise. I am thinking that I don't have any custom jsps in wherever they need to be.
You place the jsps in your "user" folder.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
Simple one here: The layering issue with the green "level complete" cross appearing infront of boupha when bouapha should be in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predcon View Post
Running over the parked and moving You-Gos in the Mall parking lot counts towards my "Monsters Run Over" tally, apparently. I was able to rack up the necessary 100 to unlock the 'DUI' Gallery Goal.
Both of these have been around long before 8.0 and for now I'm not considering them issues.

Quote:
I would like a couple of system variables, one for current date and one for current time. Why? I would like to be able to dress the level according to the current season, which I could determine from the date and I would like to be able to change the level lighting based on the actual time of day.

Imagine the fun of being able to provide a real life day counter to actual Halloween in an HH level or Christmas in a WW level. In the weeks before Christmas there could be and extra level goal to acquire presents or decorate; just a couple of days before, the decorations are up, but you have to wrap the presents; on Christmas day, the presents are there and you get to open them, shortly after Christmas, you return the presents for coins and buy the hammers you wanted all along.
Shouldn't be too hard, though I guess care would have to be taken by builders to not limit world playability at off-times. DD/DM/DY and TH/TN/TS might work alright.

Quote:
Yeah, it's not entirely clear how it's supposed to be done yet - you have to place a special somewhere in the first level with an effect that sets the custom item sprites so the item editor will know to use those for the previews. During gameplay, the effect can be used to change the current custom item sprites at any time.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

I can no longer get on SWC8.0 because it won't pass the Hamumu screen. After around 10 minutes or so, it will tell me lunatic.exe has stopped working.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Another issue I'm having (still Windows 7, windowed mode) is that pressing ESC doesn't open the pause menu, but the window losing focus does open it.

I don't think either of these things should be the case.
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
bowserfan

Post Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

I've found a new bug.

Even though the music stopping bug no longer exists, I still have problems with some songs. For example, near the middle of "Forest Boss", it just suddenly starts from the beginning. This has happened thrice, in the same level. It's "Yerfdog of the Baskervilles" from Halloween Horror 7 - PE, if that helps any.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Shouldn't be too hard, though I guess care would have to be taken by builders to not limit world playability at off-times. DD/DM/DY and TH/TN/TS might work alright.
Perhaps, in order to avoid cruel jokes, remove year?