Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017
Old 07-26-2001, 10:00 AM   #1
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Been away for a bit myself - welcome back from Dad's house (you know who you are)! Just wondering if anyone on the forum actually gets a vacation from real life and what do you do? (or are you all workaholics!)

I've been on a couple of weeks worth of fishing trip. Or rather, been swamped in my tiny canoe by huge boats the size of my home equipped with nuclear radar-type fish finders that empty the lake in an afternoon, while I mainly throw a lot of worms away and catch some sun. Ahhh, summertime!
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 10:00 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

As you'll see in the Journal update coming in about 10 minutes, we're going on vacation next friday. Yikes, that's soon... and I have to get a laptop before we do... AIYEE!!!!! Vacations are stressful! We're going to the Jersey shore. It better be good, Solee says it is. Personally, I don't know how much I like vacations... I like to work! I like real little vacations, like just working the first half of the day, and having fun, going to the zoo, and whatever else the second half of the day. But man, a whole week or more away from work?? It boggles the mind.

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 07-26-2001, 01:00 PM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I hope you all feel special!! I literally have to DRAG him away from you!!
"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo GirlsEdited by: sol705 at: 7/26/01 1:08:53 pm
Old 07-26-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I ended up getting a mailstation instead... no coding possibilities!!!

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 07-29-2001, 06:00 AM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I live by the coast. Less than a ten minute drive. People come to my hood to get away from the rat race. Little do they know it's every where! Something different for them. My family is going this morning to the beach. My niece is here for a few days. On vacation you see. My house is often a motel for family members. In the summer months especially. I don't mind. Nice to have family. I was going to stay home and play some Lunatic, but I am being coaxed into going. I think I might. I can play this afternoon while it is really hot out. Have a nice day Ya'll.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:00 PM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Surprisingly enough, Jersey has some beautiful spots. It gets a really bad rap. My husband and I used to spend a lot of time out east where he trained in Newark in engineering. We travelled all over. (On weekends...every state is so close, and I was a teacher so had summers off!) One side trip was to the coast, and it was amazingly beautiful!! You should take advantage of God's creation and RELAX!!! We should be busy with the fun pack for a while...it is really cool!
Old 07-29-2001, 06:00 PM   #7
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Re... lax? I don't understand this term. Hmm.

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 07-30-2001, 08:00 AM   #8
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Great, now you have me even more scared... we will be staying in a house though, hopefully one that's stocked up all nice!

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 08-16-2001, 06:00 PM   #9
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Hello, I too am typing on a laptop. I am up in Martha's Vineyard without internet acess. Fortuneatly some lady visiting my Grandmother has a Pentium 3 laptop... with a modem (awed silence). I will be able to talk for a little bit before vanishing again. Martha's Vineyard has honored my arrival with what has been described as the worst weather in five years for my first weekend. Other than that things have been great up here.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:00 AM   #10
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Well it looks like we all took our beach vacations in the right month with all these shark attacks happening now! That 10 year old that died lived 5 miles from me and he was attacked at Sandbridge where we had our family reunion this summer!
Old 09-04-2001, 03:00 PM   #11
Anonymous
Dumb Person

The statistics show that we aren't having any more shark attacks than we usually do (1 less in the U.S. than last year.)

My guess is that the story about the boy in Florida that is still in a coma really caught people's attention (and their hearts)and since then there has been a lot of publicity about the topic. Then the attacks in Virginia Beach and North Carolina were so tragic! It was the first confirmed shark bite in Virginia in 30 years. I grew up in Virginia Beach and never heard of sharks attacking the swimmers. I never saw a shark either, except a dead one washed up on the beach after a hurricane--it was a baby sand shark, about 2.5 feet.

I wonder also if many of the shark bites in previous years were on the West Coast. Most of the ones in the U.S. have been in Florida this year.

Too scary, huh, Zook?
Old 09-04-2001, 04:00 PM   #12
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Well, if you put surfers and bathers in the same water as schools of bait fish, the sharks are going to get confused. We had 6 bites in one weekend at New Smyrna Beach (south of Daytona Beach) in one weekend. They closed a one-mile section of the beach for awhile.

My theory is that a combination of events all happened simultaneously (kind of like the "Perfect Storm"). The water temperatures and currents were just right for the bait fish to be schooling in certain key areas of the East Coast, namely tourist centers. This, combined with increased populations of tourists (and locals) raised the probability that a shark would accidentally take a nip out of a human while doing its natural behavior of feeding. I also agree with Lisa in that there may be more reports of shark bites because it's big news.

It was rather ironic that most of the "attacks" came just prior to, during, and just after "Shark Week" on Discovery Channel!
"Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best"
Old 09-05-2001, 12:00 AM   #13
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Yikes! What's with all of the shark attacks lately, anyway?? Are they giving any reason why the seem more frequent than usual?