Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 09-11-2001, 02:00 PM   #1
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Our children will be learning about this date for years to come. I just want to send my thoughts and condolences out to anyone who might have been touched on a personal level by the violence we have seen committed today. It is terrifying to think that things like this can happen so quickly and be so devastating. If anyone has thoughts on this topic and feels the need to discuss it I would be happy to join in. I know there are quite a few children and young adults here who may have questions and/or concerns that we might be able to address as a community. All I ask is that we remember to be considerate of everyone when we are posting. Again, my sympathies to everyone (we are all touched in some way by this) and I hope you all have ways of dealing with what has happened today.

Peace,

Sol
"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo Girls
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 04:00 PM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

What a horrific, frightening, and devastatingly sad day. It is still so unbelievable. I am from the Chicago area, and there had been rumored attacks for here, too.

I am praying for our country, and especially for the people and families involved in today's tragedies. May God put His healing hand on every one of the people involved, and all of us as a nation. May we also wake up to what is happening, and will happen to this world. the Bible warns us of so much of what is happening now.

Be careful...and take good care.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:00 PM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

My theory is we made some country mad , and they have been planning this for a while , and what is it , revenge , LAND!! it is the stupidest thing ever , we have enough land and food for all , and yet people dont have any of either ! It makes me so mad that atleast 10,000 people died today , and i hope the ones responsible are dealt with . My condolences to all who are touched , as of right now , i dont know if anyone i knew died, but doesnt that just make it worse !
sincerely,
Justin989
Old 09-12-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I found out late in the morning that my brother who works for the navy as a civilian engineer was scheduled for a meeting at the Pentagon. The location of the meeting was changed. He wasn't there, but 30 miles away when the plane hit. I was lucky, I only had to wait 10 minutes to find out the good news. My sister-in-law and family had to wait 5 hours to hear the news. Even 3000 miles away, the terrorists touched lives. This is truly a national tragedy, not localized in the Northeast and LA/SF. My family was lucky, many others were not. Seek out ways you can be of help to those in need.
"Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best"
Old 09-12-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I am so glad for you that your family were spared that grief. And I second the suggestion to go out and help any way you can. If anyone has ideas on how typical people can be of assistance I would be interested in hearing them. Here at Hamumu, we have each decided to donate blood and are planning to do so every couple of months. I wish I could do more. Any suggestions? How about suggestions for some of the younger members who can't even donate blood yet? What is everyone doing?

Peace,

Sol
"if the world is night,

Indigo Girls
Old 09-13-2001, 04:00 PM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

You can teach children not to hate based on race, creed, religion, etc. I think that's the biggest way that our children can help the world. As we donate blood, water, blankets and so on, our children may feel like they aren't able to help as much as they want to, but the best and most important thing we can ask of them is to grow into the best human beings ever, to be more tolerable of others,to understand that we all have faults and learn that hate and revenge is never the answer.

I have full confidence in every parent these days, they are teaching their children more responsibility

at an earlier age than we ever learned. God Bless all you moms and dads,( and those of you who aren't parents too) Go give someone a hug, a long one!
Old 09-13-2001, 10:00 PM   #7
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I have been staring at this screen wondering how to express my sadness, sympathy and shock. When we heard early on many international flights going to the US were being diverted to our airports here in Canada, my young son, home for lunch from school having already heard at recess something terrible had happened in the US, asked me if all these planes and people were coming here because their homes were gone. It almost broke my heart to realise any vestiges of innocence he and his Grade 3 classmates had was now gone. I explained why they had to come here as calmly and simply as possible and he went back to school, I hoped somewhat reassured. When he returned from school, he announced that he and his friends decided that if any planes came to our airport, they would take their toys out there so any kids on the planes would have something to play with while they stayed here. Kids cut to the chase so fast. Though they were scared and confused, on their own they decided to comfort other possibly scared and confused kids regardless of where they were from or where they were going. I have aunts, uncles and cousins living in California, Massachusetts and Texas and my unease had been building all morning but my son's words gave me hope that some things at least are going in the right direction in our world.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:00 AM   #8
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I agree with the comments already made, but would like to add a few things.

Sometimes we want to do something, but don't know what to do. Here are my suggestions:

First and foremost, be thankful for your own life and pledge to live every day in a thankful way--by doing good. Be kind to others. You can always give a smile to those you see. Build others--don't tear down.

Think globally; act locally.

Your kids can write a letter of thanks to your local fire and police departments--or draw pictures. Letters can be sent to hospitals in New York City.

Be very careful donating money over the phone--don't give out your credit card # unless you initiated the call. A news station here in Richmond is collecting money now for the Red Cross. Give your kids chores and a chance to earn money from you to send in--add your donation too.

If you can't help those people in NY or DC, help someone where you live. Volunteer at a school, volunteer for Meals on Wheels, volunteer for the Red Cross, etc. Find a cause that fits you.

Don't underestimate the power of prayer. This is the time to pray for the rescue squads to be lead to those who are still alive. Pray for the world leaders, especially our president, that they would be able to act in a way that will stop terrorism and terrorists.

This is the time for our country to come together--all races, all religions, all cultures...all people.

On a personal nature, I remember my junior high school years when my dad worked in DC. Two of my uncles worked at the Pentagon--long ago. One of my brothers works at an army base in northern VA now. Another brother flew from DC to the West Coast probably every other week--until about 2 months ago. My husband is retired from the USAF. Life is precious...make the most of it.

Edited by: Lisa at: 9/14/01 7:41:12 am
Old 09-14-2001, 06:00 PM   #9
Anonymous
Dumb Person

North1,

Please give your son a big hug of thanks for me. That was exactly the hope I had been wishing for. Reading that story was the first real ray of light I have gotten from this whole thing. Thank you so much!

Peace,

Sol
"if the world is night,

Indigo Girls
Old 09-15-2001, 11:00 PM   #10
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Actually, maybe it should be Allies United. My husband works across from the Pentagon and called to say he was OK (he works at the Pentagon several times a week) before I had even switched on the TV. This tragedy showed such a lack of regard for human life and it has led to a huge sadness. It has also led to a unity which has been absent for some time. My husband has been put on shifts now and will be over there a lot more now. Frankly, it scares me. He needs to be there, obviously, but the children worry and I worry. What will result from the events of last Tuesday are frightening. Something has to be done to gain the upper hand where terrorism is concerned. It has gone unpunished for too long now.

Maybe something halfway good will come of all this loss. Unity, helping your fellow man. Something positive has to come of all this sadness and grief.

Old 09-17-2001, 09:00 AM   #11
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Aleya, I'm glad your family is safe. I thought about you several times since Tuesday because of our earlier conversations. I remembered that you live in the same county as my brother that commutes to N. VA--and I thought you had said that your husband commuted to the DC area.

I hope that all the added security will help. I believe our country and others will band together to bring terrorists to justice. It's just too bad we waited until this terrible event occured. We knew Bin Laden was involved in the bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993, involved in the bombings of 2 US embassies in Africa, and in the bombing of the Cole. We were just too comfortable as a nation to act thoroughly.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:00 PM   #12
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I saw on CNN that Sadam Hussein condemned the acts and "urged the US to use common sense." My husband and I nearly laughed to hear him urging anyone to use common sense. Frankly it is hard to know what the true feelings are of any of those who have been involved in terrorism. They are scared.

I also think Pakistan is doing all that they possibly can. We will just have to see how the other countries will come through. I think we have many allies and we are just now understanding what Israel has been going through in terms of terrorism.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:00 AM   #13
Anonymous
Dumb Person

You know, I was just think about how the US always runs to the aid of others, risking our lives to help in anyway... But the moment we need help... Where is everyone?!?!?! Did anyone hear what Saddam Hussein said... Something towards this being paybacks for the Gulf War!!!!???? Didn't he start that whole thing? And On the 700 Club... The guest Rev. Falwell or something or other said (in more or less words) that God is letting this happn to us, because of gays and lesbians and Abortion and liberal civil rights. Is that not the BIGGEST load of Sugar

Honey

Iced

Tea You Ever Heard?!?!?! Its ashame that in a time like this when God and prayer are the only thing that WILL help, an evil man disguised as a man of God is what we have to look to.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:00 AM   #14
Anonymous
Dumb Person

As hypocritical has that may sound, he does have a point. If we just lash out for the sake of not letting this go without retaliation,we could harm too many innocent people. We can't sink down to the level of the terrorists, but we can't let this go without a fight either. I sincerely hope we can find out for sure who is responsible for this. I'm just as much for bringing these people to justice as the next person, but not at the expense of a misdirected attack.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:00 AM   #15
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Three rants I wrote. Deleted them all. This is my last one and by far the shortest: I wish this wouldn't start a war, and I think we should specifically ("we" being every country on Earth that disapproves of terrorism, which theoretically should be every country) go in and take out every terrorist we can find, and not stop just because we've got whoever did this. We should NOT hurt any civilians, or send in troops anywhere, but rather just use a little elite international police force and a lot of covert surveillance and research to find actual terrorists, and bring them to justice. This tragedy should be a wake-up call to end terrorism in general, not an 'attack' to 'retaliate against'.

I've got a million other things to say, but they're even less coherent, so I'll stop myself NOW! Except one thing: the thing that bothers me the most in all of this, more than terrorists blowing up our country (because you EXPECT terrorists to act that way), shows up in two ways: the people who attack Arab Americans or Muslim Americans, and the people who say "let's go bomb the crap out of Afghanistan". Both of those types of people are guilty of bigotry and just plain not even trying to think. What if the unabomber had done some of his bombing in other countries? Would it be okay then for those other countries to A> throw rocks at American tourists since they obviously support the unabomber by being Americans, and to B> bomb the crap out of America, since he lives here? That's exactly the same reasoning (okay, so the Taliban is harboring Bin Laden, that's not quite the same, but then, the people of Afghanistan are NOT the Taliban, nor are they terrorists). And by far the worst of the people who act this way (and worse) are a little group I call "the media". I saw Bill O'Reilly on Fox News saying we should blockade Afghanistan and starve them until they give us Osama Bin Laden, and when his more intelligent guests pointed out that the Afghani people are innocent, his response was something to the effect of "Oh come on, you think they don't support the terrorists?". It's that sort of thing that terrifies me down to my bones, not when a terrorist hijacks a plane and kills 5,000 people. Because people get behind the things they hear in the media, it sounds so right and so proud and strong, so let's go get those Afghani people! It disgusts me, and I bet the media and various propaganda machines around will end up indirectly responsible for more innocent lives lost over the next five years than the terrorists. I fully support the right to free speech, and I'm glad he had the freedom to say those things on the air. What disgusts me is that he didn't have the brains to NOT say those things on the air. And that the company hired a guy who would do that sort of thing, and so on. The media has enormous power, and that's very dangerous. Someday I want to form the Anti-Media Coalition to just thoroughly discredit them. What got me started on the idea was that I saw the WTC towers get hit by airplanes over 50 times on Sept. 11, when there's no reason I should have ever seen it ONCE. They should keep us informed about what's happening, but the only value in showing pictures like that is PURELY entertainment. Very carnal, base, entertainment, on the order of snuff films. There is absolutely no difference between the two. Can you think of one? Is there some reason we needed to know what it LOOKS like when a tower is hit by a plane? Is there any reason it could possibly have merit? I tried for a while, and I truly can't think of one. Yes, we needed to know it happened, and I'm glad they told us. But the pictures have no value at all. It's beyond disrespectful (especially when they started to show footage of people jumping from the towers!). We need to really pay attention to what the news is showing us, and think about why it's being shown. I think truly that the news companies no longer do. They simply say "That's news!!" and film it and show it. And that's their defense when someone questions it - it's news, we have to show it. The more tragic the better. Heck, it means ratings! After all, no single news station is going to refrain from showing that stuff, because all the others will continue to show it, and they'll be beaten out of existence instantly. There's going to be a lot of propaganda in the coming weeks and months, and we have to be smart enough to sift through it and figure out what we really think ourselves. I'm not trying to foist my views onto anyone here, just trying to make sure that we all think about our own views, and not just adopt those the media conveniently supplies us with.

See, it's still a huge rant! Wow. And I didn't use any words more profane than "crap". Pretty good, huh? That rant actually turned out bigger than any of the previous ones, and covered whole territories they never touched. I have serious mental problems. Okay, I better post this one, or I'll never get to do any work today. Sorry for my outrageous views, hope you all still buy my games.

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 09-18-2001, 09:00 AM   #16
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Did anyone see the movie "Swordfish" with John Travolta and Halle Berry. Well if you did, I think a secret order like theirs would be Excellent in this instance. For those of you who didn't, (without ruining the movie), there was a Terrorist Attack Group who, when Terrorist did something to the US, would seek out the Terrorist and get revenge. And I just saw the movie on Monday which really shook me up. And I'm not saying blow up their country. Just them
Old 09-18-2001, 02:00 PM   #17
Anonymous
Dumb Person

All I can say right now is thank you all for being such wonderful people. I truly am proud to be a part of the human race. There are so many people out there (in America and everywhere else) who have touched me deeply with the strength of their morality and humanity. It brings tears to my eyes.Two quotes that I wish to share...

"We can't sacrifice our values in defense of our values." (If you can tell me who said that I would appreciate it!)

"We can't let our future become our past, if we want to change the world." (Ben Harper)

I also want to say I agree with Mikey's "little" rant and ask Isn't it obvious why I am in love with this man?! I couldn't have said it better myself.

And finally, this was forwarded to me by my Grandma Hunt at just the time that I was wishing there were some way I could express my patriotism and fear of war at the same time. Please pass it on to others. Terrorism is wrong, no matter who is doing it. We have to show our children and our children's children that the US is a country to be respected not because of its military prowess but because of its morality and HUMANITY when dealing with evil and hatred. I send love and peacefulness to you during this time of sadness and anger.

Justice, not Terror:

Although our leaders are under tremendous pressure to act in the aftermath of the terrible events of Sept. 11th, it's important to let them know that we support justice, not escalating violence, which would only play into the terrorists' hands.

I hope you'll join me in signing an online statement of support

for "Justice, not Terror" at:

www.moveon.org/justice/

Thank you. Your participation could really make a difference -- it's vital that we all speak up now, before it's too late.

Peace and love to you all,

"if the world is night,

Indigo GirlsEdited by: sol705 at: 9/18/01 3:00:09 pm
Old 09-18-2001, 06:00 PM   #18
Anonymous
Dumb Person

*slightly off-topic*

Thought I should warn ahead that this is concerning mikes anger with the media and not concerning the terrorism.

They capitalize on any tragedy they can get their hands on, it's sad really. Take school shootings for example (another horrible topic) They were really bad just like this, but they were so overtelevised so much that they sent America into fear. Even though WITH these shootings schools are the safest place you can be! Safer than homes, supermarkets, Arbys restaurants, or any other place! Yet, because of the media, some kids were put into homeschooling, tyrannical new rules were put into place at my school (and many others) and many other bad things have resulted. It angers me that I have to wear a name tag and not not allowed to have a bookbag.

Sure those shootings are horrible, but why should the students suffer for the fear put into place from oversensationlism?
___

Man, you be illin', old skool!
Old 09-19-2001, 10:00 AM   #19
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Mike, You may have"serious mental problems", but we love ya anyway!!

Everybody here has made excellent points, I hope we don't have to go to war, but

unfortunately, it looks like that's where we are headed. As much as we might agree OR

disagree with the way the government is handling this 'situation' I think it is

important that we stand behind them and give all the support that we can.

It has been said a thousand times already, but hopefully something good will come

from this tragedy. Love and best wishes to you all.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:00 AM   #20
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Just thought you might want to know the people of Afganistan are already starving--only the Taliban eats. Huge amounts of aid in the form of food has been given to the people of Afghan. I don't think the Taliban really cares about the people. Ten years of war with Soviet Union/Russia and years of civil war have taken its toll. Yet Bin Laden appears to be very popular with the Arab people.

It is a complex situation and my small brain cannot find a solution. I think we could have people go undercover in other countries and find terrorists and arrest them/kill them (Mike, which were you suggesting?) I do not see how we could put American people undercover in Afganistan. Certainly it makes no sense to bomb the starving people. It has been reported that Bin Laden hides among women and children. If we are to get Bin Laden, I think it will be very likely that some civilians will go down with him. If we can locate him would it be worth it to send a missle his way, knowing that some civilians that cloak him will be killed? And if so, what number of deaths is justifiable? Or will we just find that he had just left and was hiding out in a cave? If we don't stop him, how many other innocent people will die?

There is no easy answer.

One thing is certain: we need to close down the terrorist training camps. I saw a report that there are more than 100 of such camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan--most of them being small operations that can close down and move quickly and open for business again.