Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017
Old 09-03-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

What books do you think the other Hamumu people should read? I wouldn't mind hearing some ideas for me! Here is what I recommend:

It, Stephen King - my favorite book ever! Not for kids at all, but it's definitely about kids. What makes it great is how Stephen King's nostalgia for his youth just POURS from every page. It makes me feel like *I* grew up in the 50's.

The Stand, Stephen King - pretty much everyone but me thinks this is King's best book. It's absolutely enormous (so is It, but this is even bigger), but worth the chunk of your life it takes to read.

Anything Else, Stephen King - he's my favorite! The Dark Tower series is great. On Writing is his book about how to write, and I just read that cover to cover as entertainment!

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury - now we reach the 'important' stuff. This is pretty fun and easy to read, but it's very important stuff about censorship and freedom, and as it said on the cover of the copy I read (which was printed in the 80's), "More important now than ever before!".

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card - This one is often on the Juvenile rack, but it's more about kids than for kids (it's probably suitable for young teens though). It's a good one. Sci-fi, but it says a lot about stuff underneath it all. It's the first in a series, but it's very different from the other books in the series, which become extremely complex and political (and it's the best one!).

Orson Scott Card writes good stuff all over too.

Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman - It says stuff on the book jacket about a twisted Alice In Wonderland type tale, and that's what it is. Weird, funky, and very interesting. His writing is great.

David Eddings big serieses: The Belgariad, The Elenium, and The Mallorean - these are good for pre-teen, or teen, kids. I wouldn't say they're GOOD books, but they're fun to read and interesting. Good medieval fantasy stories. I've read them all, which comes to 13 books! I had a big David Eddings kick going on for a while. However, I don't recommend The Losers by him, or ESPECIALLY The Redemption Of Althalus which is ABOMINABLE. I hated it so.

Lay That Trumpet In Our Hands, Susan Carol McCarthy - This one's an Oprah book... uh oh! I think it is anyway. It's based on a true story, really showing you just how bad racism was in Florida in the 50's (and it's not clear that it's gotten much better). It's got some civil rights messages and can open your eyes to stuff you didn't know was ever going on, much less so recently! And as Solee put it, we never thought of Florida as the deep south (with all the scary stuff that entails), even though it's the deepest south of them all!

The Thief Of Always, Clive Barker - Clive Barker for kids! Parents might want to check it out first, but I think this is suitable and entertaining horror for kids. Not so terribly scary, and of course, it's got kid heroes and all that, and it's written in a very literary version of children's book style.

I can't think of others, but there are so many that are so special. In fact, a lot of them are a lot MORE special than many I've listed here, I'm just blocking on which ones they are (But It is the most special, duh)! Who's got some?

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 09-03-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I'll have to try some Steven King. I've never read any of his books. I've always though everything he wrote was horror, which has never really interested me. I did listen to an audiobook by Steven King - The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon. That was quite good. Some of my favorites are:

Science Fiction: Anything by Isaac Asimov - the Foundation Series is probably my favorite.

Fantasy: The Darwath Trilogy is excellent. By Barbara Hambly.

Modern: John Irving is good. A Prayer for Owen Meany is excellent. On the other hand I thought Irving's The World According to Garp was extremely dull. Not sure why they made a movie from that book.

Comedy: A very short book, but an absolute classic. Probably quite hard to find, but if you haven't read Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog), then you must immediately track this books down. Absolutely fantastic. Written by Jerome K. Jerome.

Travel/Comedy: Anything by Bill Bryson is great. Occasionally I find him a bit negative, but great nonetheless.

Historical Fiction: This is one of my favorite genres. English Passengers by Mathew Kneale, is very well written - also quite funny, about some Isle of Mann smugglers who end up taking some passengers to Tasmania in the 1850s. Also, The True History of the Kelly Gang, by Peter Carey. It's about the famous (infamous) Australian outlaw. This book is written as if Ned Kelly wrote the book himself. Extremely well done.

Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Just about everything by Dickens
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 AM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

My nephews (they're under 10) enjoy Captain Underpants, Sponge Bob, and the Harry Potter books. (I personally enjoyed all the Harry Potter books.)

As a teen I enjoyed:

Classic comic books such as: The Count of Monte Cristo, Robin Hood, The Man in the Iron Mask, etc.

I also enjoyed Shakespeare. Some of my favorites are: Otello, Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, and Macbeth.

My favorite Dicken's was Great Expectations, and I agree anything of Jane Austen's is a good read.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Wow! I had no idea we had so many readers here! I love it. Now to add my two cents...

re: Stephen King...I am also a big fan. He has written many books that are more about what goes on inside people's heads in a scary/tragic situation that I prefer to his actual horror. He has written some really funny essays, many about baseball.

re: Straub - not a fan. Couldn't get into his stuff.

Brain Candy for Adults

My favorite reads are murder mysteries and thrillers. I can also be caught with a romance novel from time to time. I would recommend Andrew M. Greeley (romantic, yet thougtful), Jonathon or Faye Kellerman (murder mysteries), or Jean M. Auel (romance in the prehistoric times). If you want quirky humor you should definitely try Douglas Adams.

Grown-up Books for Grown-ups

I really like Barbara Kingsolver, Richard Bach, Amy Tan and Margaret Atwood. I would also recommend "The Red Tent", "Catch-22", "1984", "The Celestine Prophecy"... I really wish I could remember all the books I have read and loved... there are so many.

Young Adults

Madeleine L'Engle - makes you do quite a bit of thinking, but washes it all down with a really great story.

William Goldman "The Princess Bride" - way better than the movie (and i loved the movie!). A wonderful fantasy-romance-action-adventure story.

Richard Adams "Watership Down" - a fanciful story about rabbits. Sounds strange, but it is very captivating.

Jean Craighead George - teens relating to nature. fabulous.

Harry Potter - so addictive

Goosebumps - silly, funny, braincandy...but if it interests a child in reading, then it is worth it!

For the Little Ones (and the young at heart)

"Giraffes Can't Dance" - Giles somebody-or-another (i just gave my copy to my nephew)

Debi Gliori "No Matter What" - a parent's love

Maurice Sendak "Where the Wild Things Are" - no matter how much you screw up, there is always someone there to keep your soup warm...

Dr. Seuss - anything and everything by him!!!

Okay...so that is a small fraction of the books I think are worth reading...there are tons more out there. I can't stress how important I think reading is, especially reading with your kids. From day one...forever! My dad still reads to me occasionally. Read as a family and discuss how it makes you feel and think.
"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo Girls
Old 09-06-2002, 04:00 AM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I mentioned the classic comic books because I thought is was a good way to get the "flavor" of the story then, hopefully, interest the reader enough to actually read the book version. (I don't even know if they're available anymore).

I remember reading Beowolf and Great Expetations in junior high, and really enjoying them. Beowolf was read in class and discussed.

In high school our literature classes were broken into English, American, and World literature (sophomore, junior, and senior years). We were required to read such books as: Shakespeare, 1984, Brave New World, The Jungle, Of Mice and Men, The Crucible, and To Kill a Mockingbird. (I'm sure there were others.)

Other authors I've enjoyed:

Anne Rice

Several books including Interview With a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoth the Devil, Servant of the Bones, Pandora, The Mummy, The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos.

Martha Grimes

(American author who writes English mystery stories). Each of her books are titled for an English Pub. They are referred to as "The Richard Jury Series". The first book I read was The Stargazey, but I suggest you start with her first novel The Man with a Load of Mischief. I don't read these books for the plot, I like them because I really like the characters. (There are 15 books to date.)

Colleen McCullough

She has written some good stories about the Roman Empire. I read The First Man in Rome (there are others). I've also read The Thorn Birds, and The Ladies of Missalonghi.

Edward Rutherfurd

Sarum and London. Fictional treatments of history from pre-Roman times to present day.

Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Mysts of Avalon. The story of King Authur written from Morgaine's perspective about myth and magic, power and spirituality.

Kathy Reichs

Her novels are about a forensic anthropologist (which she is) solving crimes and bringing criminals to justice set in Montreal and North Carolina. I've read Deja Dead, Death du Jour, and Deadly Decisions.

Catherine Coulter

Occasionally I like a historical romance novel. (I like the Old English ones). I've read The Wyndham Legacy and The Nightingale Legacy.

Other authors incluce Stephen King, Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Stephen White, and on and on.

Old 09-07-2002, 06:00 AM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I think yours will prompt Solee to write some names down for our next library trip! I should write down some fantasy ones. Although I am trying to read 'real' books these days (to no avail, I should add).

Re: Eddings more, I never read the other stuff - things like Polgara The Sorceress, and all those other 'condensation' books. My friend read one (Belgarath) and said it basically just condensed the events of the Belgariad into one poorly written book. Pretty dumb. Same friend and many others are absolutely obsessed with the Robert Jordan Wheel Of Time series, so maybe those are good, I never bothered - too much commitment!

I did however read the first few books of... hmm... R.R....?? The books include A Song Of Swords, A Dance With Dragons, and other titles that fit that format. That's good stuff - fantasy done in a very realistic style, with a lot of political junk. Ah, I remember, the first one was A Game Of Thrones. The downside is that like many fantasy series, the books basically just end midsentence, so you NEED the next one. And of course, I think it's still unfinished like most as well.

Re: Ursula LeGuin. She's supposed to be so great, according to everyone, but I did NOT like what I read from her! The Beginning Place. It was either too deep for me, or it just didn't have a point at all.

Re: Straub. I haven't read any of the recommended reading from him, like Koko, but what I have read of his, I've truly disliked. The Talisman (with King) was great, fantabulous, but man, have you read the abomination that is Black House? No better way I have ever seen to pull a reader from a story! I blame it all on Straub, because we know big Steve would never do such wrong. I've also read The Hellfire Club and another one or two. I have Floating Dragon and something else in my pile of things to read, so we'll see how he redeems himself.

I am reading Foundation by Asimov right now, we'll see how I like it, but it's keeping me interested...

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.comEdited by: Jamul at: 9/7/02 6:45:31 am
Old 09-08-2002, 12:00 AM   #7
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I recommend the Steven King short story, The Langoliers. I've seen the movie twice, and read the book three times. I'm reading it again now. I think it is in a book called "Four Past Midnight."

<u>
Contact Me</u>
Old 09-08-2002, 03:00 AM   #8
Anonymous
Dumb Person

So Dave, what is it you like about the Langoliers? I've read several King novels, but not that story (didn't see the movie either). We have it, so I just might get it out and read it sometime per your recommendation. (Too busy at the moment to read anything!)
Old 09-10-2002, 06:00 PM   #9
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I didn't like the movie at all...but i enjoyed the story. in interesting concept. i hate to say too much for fear of ruining the suspence. read it...it's facinating!

"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo Girls
Old 07-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Dwo
Dumb Person

man, this topic is old, but:

j.k rowling- i like how she writes her hp series!

ben n me- well, i like it, so..?

and i forgot the others i like!

(No, you cant have that leftover pizza! quit asking!)
Dwo is offline   Reply With Quote