Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 06-07-2003, 01:00 AM   #1
Anonymous
Dumb Person

How many times do you go crazy when a student really misbehaves and how do you react? Or do you all just teach classes full of goody goodies?

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I think it is never a good idea for a teacher to "go crazy". A teacher should model the behavior she/he would like to see.

My son's teacher this year was very good and had a good system. She did have a mix of children and was always very encouraging and positive. I was in the class a lot and never heard her sniping at the kids. She told the misbehaving child to write a "behavior card". That child would take out an index card and write what he/she did wrong. Teacher and student would sign and the parent would too. Bad behavior resulted in walking extra laps before participating in recess. I thought it was a good system.

I was in my son's class a lot this year because I volunteered on Wednesdays to teach math to the kids that picked up math quickly. I handled things the way I did when I taught middle school full time. I made the math like a fun challenging puzzle and the kids were too busy and too invested in the activity to goof off.

When I did have problems in middle school, I called parents and/or gave silent lunch. Detention didn't work--it punished the parents because we had no late buses. Silent lunch meant bring a your lunch to my room and eat in silence with no sodas/sweets.

The one time in 10 years I had a kid melt down in my classroom I just took out a referral and started writing everything he did and said word for word. He had been kicked out of his zone school and he was removed from our school after that. The kids said they couldn't believe how calm I was. I know when kids misbehave they are not hurting me, but they are hurting themselves. Why should I take it personally? No use getting upset, just enforce consequences.

It is always better to avoid discipline problems by showing kids the carrot: You can pass my class (or make a good grade) and this is what you have to do to pass. Then we'd work some problems. I'd give them a tricky one and see who could do it and that kid would get a no homework pass or extra credit on the next quiz. Then it was cool to know all the answers if it benefited you. I also had math games--they loved them. I enjoyed it too. I think if the teacher enjoys the activity, the kids are more likely to enjoy it too. If it is boring to the teacher, I feel sorry for the kids, it will be boring.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

cool.

so you don't teach 13 year olds i guess. that's how old i am and i see teachers get mad at some students in my class, there's even a teacher who swears like "don't take me like i'm full of sh**"

i find this offensive but i can tell that you guys know how to handle a class well
Old 06-28-2003, 11:00 AM   #4
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I did teach 13 year olds when I taught middle school. I also taught high school in summer school.

The kids told me that the sub cussed them out one time when I had to be out. I knew they were telling the truth. I told them she would never sub in my class again and I told the assistant principal--he never called her to sub at our school again. I was rarely ever absent--you never knew what would happen when you were out, but there wouldn't be much learning.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Default re

have you ever had to give a whole class a detention when the class misbehaves?
My classes at school get loads of those even though when only about 10 kids were being bad!

I still like my school anyway. It is up to date and there are plenty of computers but there is so much limits on it. i cant even right click on the desktop and WEBSENSE stops me accessing fun websites.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Lisa
Dumb Person

Teachers should never punish the entire class--it's never the entire class! The trick is never to let things get totally out of hand.
The school system where I live issues every high school and middle school student an I MAC notebook computer--it's an IBOOK. They are going to pilot it in a couple of elementary schools for 5th grade students. Why couldn't I have been a kid in this time! :P
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Holy frijoles... we don't even give every TEACHER a computer. In fact, this past year, there was a time when they proclaimed they were going to stop buying COPY PAPER. Our school system is very broke! One of the fringe benefits of the California lifestyle.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:24 AM   #8
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Default re

whoa!
my school has enough computers to cover half of our students
(1200 students in the whole school)
but then again, our school is funded by ADT security. But I ask myself, why is an american company funding an english school? Do they have to do this or something?
My school is called ADT college but it is a high school and has a few cameras with ADT logos on it
Old 07-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #9
Lisa
Dumb Person

Welcome to the world of advertising Jack! Your school is an advertisement for ADT and they pay for that service--maybe not such a bad arrangement. At the local high schools here they have Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, soda & candy machines, etc. in the cafeteria. That seems worse to me.
CA is deep $ trouble. I've been following it on NPR. I hope for the best for you!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Anonymous
Dumb Person

so do you get paid for having a school as the same as a company? For example if my school was Mc Donalds, would i have a better quality school than yours? i go to the same school as jack, and hes not lying about around 600 computers, also websense is there we got past it, they found out... Please tell us if there is a way around it!!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
Master Jobee
Large Mortal

Location: Near Philladelphia (The same county as Dave Hettel)
Default Calafornia Schools

My cousin's school is not to far from where jamul lives.
It was shut down because the school discrict lacked the money to run it.
He says where he lives, the row houses in the bad part of town are more expensive than single houses in the nice part of town where i live.

Calafornians, what do you have to say about gray davis?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:18 PM   #12
Anonymous
Dumb Person

there are really cheap schools around my area also... Elliott i was gonna go there, CHEAP!! and john paul2ndary school... CHEAP!! my school, picked for talented pupils... (ahem) ... get loads of computers and stuff also privelages, but the one bad thing about it is, it is so strict... And me and george (codename47) and jack, terrorize the library, and get banned, soo strict
Old 08-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #13
Lisa
Dumb Person

In the county I live in, the school system is given a lot of money and it attracts people with money to move here because the schools are really good. That way they bring in more money in taxes and they can afford to put more money into the schools.
Something really great about our county school system is they have their own TV station. They run programming continuously. Music programs, sports, special assemblies, field trips, and anything of interest are video-taped at the various schools and then shown on TV. It's awesome! I saw my son on TV this morning! They interviewed his teacher that conducted a summer computer class these last 2 weeks. Later on they showed the 5th grade play from his school. During the school year the high school that houses the TV Station also acts as a specialty center for kids interested in broadcasting. So kids out of that school district can apply to go there and take classes related to that interest and all the regular classes you would find at any high school. All the high schools have a specialty center in some area.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #14
Anonymous
Dumb Person

.... cool .... umm .... so where do u live?? must be good!! how much do they get... then again we do have enough resources though...
Old 08-02-2003, 05:52 PM   #15
Lisa
Dumb Person

I live in Henrico County in Virginia--it's just outside of Richmond.
What do you mean "how much do they get"?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:27 AM   #16
Anonymous
Dumb Person

enough resources do they get.... there is a place in england called richmond too
Old 08-04-2003, 07:52 AM   #17
Lisa
Dumb Person

I'm not sure of the annual budget for the school department, but they seem to have a lot more than the school system I taught in 10+ years ago.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #18
Code name 47
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Code name 47
Default re

typical...
maybe your should come up with entry fees for students. that way they can make more money/riots.
Code name 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #19
Anonymous
Dumb Person

entry fees, nah, i just got back from ireland, and they save money by making the children buy there own books... but soon enough books will not be needed, laptops will they do that in usa somewhere, i saw it in legally blonde 1 film.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:34 PM   #20
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

I heard about the education money problems in California on the news recently. I have two words to say about it:

Vote Scwharzenegger (Spelling?)

P.S. Sorry if certain people hate Arnold. I just love the Terminator movies.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote