Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017
Old 08-11-2001, 08:00 AM   #1
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I don't know if it is the result of the fun-pack or not, but while using the editor I have been unable to place a monster in a particular spot. The total number of monsters for the level has not been exceeded. The only monsters are zombies and a super zombie. I can place monsters in the adjacent positions all around this one "dead" spot. I can provide the x,y coordinates if needed, I just didn't write them down before this post. Anything to do with the cloak of invisibility? I read something about "nobody" in the release notes.
"Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best"
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Hmm, does this always happen and always in the same spot? I don't THINK Nobody can cause that, but I do believe it's possible with careless use of the up and down monster keys to end up putting in a non-existent monster. Try backspace on the unmonsterable space.

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 08-12-2001, 11:00 AM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I'll have to check on the always part. It is definitely in the same spot in the one level that I noticed it ocurring. I believe I did try to backspace, but it was a while ago so I will try it again and let you know.

I ran across a weird occurance that seems related to the non-existant monster placement you refer to above. Somehow I ended up with about 8 or 9 Sphinxter stacked up one in front of the other with some HSM thrown in for good measure. I think it ocurred while trying to place a monster after the 128 limit had been reached due to momma spiders, the thing, generators, etc. None of them showed up however until I was testing the level. I had to keep going in, deleting them, saving, loading, delete a few more that magically appeared, saved that, loaded, delete some more, etc. until they were all removed. I sure have some interesting things happen! I must have the "special" version of Dr. Lunatic!
Old 08-12-2001, 01:00 PM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I don't understand the multiplying monster problem... you made a level with X monsters, then when you play it, it has these stacks of monsters you didn't put in, and when you go back to the editor, they're in the editor too? It doesn't save your level when you play it, so nothing about playing it can add those monsters to the map, they must have gotten added during the editing process.

I can't figure out the other problem either. It could be an invisible item, but backspace would cure that. Why don't you email me the DLW where these mysterious things happen and maybe I can solve some bugs?

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 08-12-2001, 02:00 PM   #5
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Anything helps - I don't need keystrokes, just the ability to reproduce the problem. So that's why I need the DLW!

However, for the multiple monster problem, it's not really resolved since it can happen again anytime! And like I said, nothing you do playing the level is ever saved back into the dlw, so it can't be caused by killing monsters or anything else. So who knows what is going on!?

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 08-12-2001, 02:00 PM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

The multiple monster problem has been resolved. I was able to delete all the extra unwanted monsters. I think what happened was I was using monsters that generate other monsters causing a count that exceeded 128. While trying to add more monsters to the level, clicking had no visible effect. Then after killing some monsters, the program was able to make those clicks visible, or something like that. I will be sending you the DLW as the world is complete once I get the answers to the Matilda questions on another thread. Don't rack your brain up over this. Having taught computer programming (BASIC on TRS-80s!) and other things, I know that unless you can reconstruct the exact keystrikes, etc. you may never be able to figure out what caused an unexpected result.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:00 PM   #7
Anonymous
Dumb Person

What's the current sun-spot activity? I was doing a quick peek before submitting my world, tried the backspace, and was now able to place a monster in the previously forbidden location. So what gives? Anyway, the world has been submitted to worlds@hamumu.com. If you still want me to send it directly to you, let me know.