Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 10-02-2001, 04:00 AM   #1
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Mike, I have really enjoyed all the new features associated with the Fun Pack! As I was working on my new world yesterday, I was really thankful for that back-up feature. I accidently pushed 'esc' instead of 'backspace' after making a new level. I went back into the editor and reclaimed my world with that level I didn't save! Yea! Thanks!
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 05:00 PM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Lisa, I'm glad to hear you are working on a new world. I have enjoyed each of your previous ones immensely! Good luck, happy editing, and man am I jealous that you have the time to construct. I'm lucky if I get to the forum once a week to catch up on the news and gossip. No time to play, no time to build......so sad.
"Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best"
Old 10-03-2001, 08:00 AM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Sorry, Zook! Everyone, even you, deserves just a little playtime each day!

This world will take me less hours to make because each level is fairly small. I still use a large level just in case something hits me, but I have been using less than half the area. I made one of my levels in less than half an hour--and it's fun!

I just ran out of ideas so I have been playing the new world, Looney Stew, for inspiration. I'm not sure I've gotten any ideas, but I'm having fun!
Old 10-03-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Its funny you said that Lisa, I lost my inspiration. My last world actually made sense. So I've been on a dumb hunt looking for all thats dumb and senseless. Looney Stew is helping me though.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Lisa and Doom Bunny, do you have "themes" for your worlds? maybe if you give us a hint as to what you're working on we could offer some suggestions.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:00 AM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

My new world is called Bouapha's Excellent Expedition. Bouapha starts with desert levels; after completing that moves on to jungle levels, then lava levels, then halloween levels, and lastly alien levels. I will also have a keychain level and boss level.

I like those worlds that are a mix of dessert, lava, etc. When I saw Loony Stew, I was jealous that I didn't think of that myself!

I just had a thought about something fun I could do in my hub level! I think I will keep it secret for now!

If you have any fun ideas for me, let me know!
Old 10-05-2001, 07:00 AM   #7
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I tried to post this last night, but the forums went into maintenance mode as I finished... here's my ideas off the top of my head, hopefully help get you thinking:

I think something fun to do is to pick a very easy enemy, like Pengulons, and try to make a level (or an area of a level) where they are a real serious threat. For example, battling pygmies with spears only. Because you notice in most worlds that the player has supreme firepower fairly quickly, and is only in danger because their enemies are huge and numerous. Sometimes it can be nice if both you and the enemies aren't so tough!

Here's another idea: how about a level with two rooms connected by a hallway just long enough that you can't see one room from the other (that's the entire level, those two rooms and the hallway). Then the player clears the first room, goes to the second, clears it, goes back to the first, and voila, it's suddenly a whole different place. Clears it again, goes back to the second, and now IT's filled with monsters! Etc, back and forth, for as long as you or the player can stand. Use swapmaps to achieve this effect.

People don't use time limit specials enough either - how about a level with time limits, a bomb that's going to go off or something.

Try to find something new to do with Buddy Bunnies. Well, maybe not new, but a slightly more interesting way of having to protect them. Or even just the same old way, those levels are always a little frantic and fun.

Dumb little effect: have Roly Polies roll into a room from above, and when they reach a certain point, ChangeMonster them into Rock Troopers. I don't know why, it just kinda sounds fun, like they're rolling in like armadillos or something. Or introduce Sven and Bjorn by having them roll in as Snowballs (if they ended their roll near the player, they'd immediately launch into their "hello" sequence!).

Do something fun, but not impossible to get past, with Dark Vampires!

Pick an enemy type (heck, pick randomly with your eyes closed), and design a level around them. Where they would live, or what kind of traps they might set. Give the player the true experience of that type of monster.

Generators! Explore the possibilities!

The Swapgun - see if you can do something more intriguing with it than has been done. For example, what if you needed to use it to get a MONSTER somewhere instead of getting yourself somewhere?

Instead of all that innovative stuff, just make a simple solid level - start with a Medium level, make up a name for it, and then try to come up with a layout that goes with that name. One thing I think is fun is something like my own Fumigation level - I wanted it to be a house, so I laid it out like one, not even really thinking about the path the player would take or puzzles or anything, just laid out a house with several floors. Then I put in monsters and arranged some doors and specials so that there would be a challenge to it. But the layout came first. My Tricks & Treats level in Halloween Horror is an even bigger example of this - I knew I wanted a street with houses to visit on either side (and the swapmap to show the interior thing was the cool 'innovative' idea I had for it - I had one for each level of Halloween Horror in fact! My most creative world), and then I came up with contents for the houses later, in order to make it all tie together into a challenge (the layout made it clear that the challenge would entail going from house to house in some nonlinear order, so setting it up was pretty simple).

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 10-08-2001, 06:00 PM   #8
Anonymous
Dumb Person

The first thought I had was "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", Lisa. I would have to rent a copy to see if elements of the movie could be incorporated into Bouapha's Excellent Expedition.

I, too, like worlds that have desserts, lava, water, etc.. Makes it a little more interesting when you don't know what's coming. That's why I spent so much time cutting and pasteing (sp?) tiles into my world.

Jamul's ideas are great! What's this about timed specials? I must not have looked closely at my options. I know about "every n seconds", but "a bomb going off"? Off the top of my head I would guess a couple of specials. One that kills monster x (buddy bunny?) after n seconds and another that kills Boupha when monster x is killed. Sound right or is there an easier way?
Old 10-08-2001, 07:00 PM   #9
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Well you can skip the middle step - make Bouapha himself explode when N seconds are up. There's a lot you can do with timers, and I think they're underused! Could have a bridge collapse too, or walls explode... who knows???

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 10-09-2001, 05:00 AM   #10
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I've never seen "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", but I have heard of it and it has a nice ring to it.

I have completed 14 of the levels and am more into the 'expedition' theme. I made a US flag tile and have the flag up in the hub level. I tried to animate it, but was unsuccessful. As you complete each group of levels you can move on to the next. I'm working on making a flag appear with the group if you have finished the group and its secret level. I haven't quite got the trigger, but I could do the effect.

I have printed up Mike's suggestions (some of which I had already thought of) and am planning to make my secret levels ones where you have to defeat 'easy' foes, but you will have to scramble for lack of firepower. I've done a lot with change monsters. It's fun having the new monsters, new items, and new specials. I have so much more to work with now--and I can make (or copy) my own tiles!
Old 10-09-2001, 10:00 AM   #11
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Guess what?

Monsters stay on the side that they were originally when you change them to another monster. This was by design. Now you can have Kongor on your side or any other enemy on your side. It does pose a problem when you want to have baddies turn into goodies though. See if you can make your specials work as Summon enemies and have a kill enemy special. It won't work the same way but it may help you out.

BP

Old 10-09-2001, 10:00 AM   #12
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I finished a level that involves a player step to change a monster into another type of monster. It seems to work because they change in appearance. However, I changed Minibots in Buddybots and Meaniebots into Helpybots--I was counting on help, but much of the time they shoot me! And I can shoot them. I thought I couldn't hurt them and they couldn't hurt me! The change on the minibots is multiple use because I have a robofactory and I want to be able to go back and change the new ones to help me. Is this supposed to happen? Good robots gone bad....
Old 10-10-2001, 08:00 AM   #13
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Thanks for the info, BP. How can we have Kongor on our side? That sure sounds interesting!
Old 10-10-2001, 03:00 PM   #14
Anonymous
Dumb Person

The above posts just reemphasize to me that I am not right-brained enough. Such creativity! I can't wait for your next worlds to see what you've come up with to keep me up past my bedtime!
"Success lies not in being the best, but in doing your best"Edited by: zookrj at: 10/13/01 6:06:49 am
Old 10-11-2001, 12:00 AM   #15
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Just start the level with a buddy bunny or one of the good enemies and then have a special to change monster to Kongor or whatever other enemy you want and that monster is now on your side. He is your ally, not your enemy. Think of the possibilities. I have.

BP

Old 10-11-2001, 05:00 AM   #16
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Thanks, BP! Why didn't I realize that? Even after you said that the monster stays on the same side even if you change it, I didn't figure it out!

It makes me sorry that I have finished all but 1 of my regular levels! I have a game plan for the secret levels, and still need the keychain and boss levels. It would be fun to work that special in!

BP, are you working on a world? I know it will be good!
Old 10-14-2001, 12:00 AM   #17
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I'm working on a world for the Halloween Horror Pack 2. I think you should do one, too. It won't take long. It's only going to be 9 levels. Any world builder should be able to do that! It would be really cool if we could get a bunch of people to do a world for it. It was fun doing it last year with Mike and Mark. I've already come up with a bunch of level names. You need to get some level names out there, too.

BP
Old 10-14-2001, 01:00 PM   #18
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I used the time special feature on my 100 leagues under the sea level, you have to defeat all the monsters to get a key, then goto the exit in under 15 seconds ! It worked like a charm, when the time was up, i made it turn all the tiles into water =) BTW the level was do-able, just took a while like most of the ones i made.
sincerely,
Justin989