Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Sokko
Dumb Person

Default You've seen the Rules, now check out the Annoyances.

Yes indeed, it's time for...
The Hamumu Forum Annoyances

I'll be honest with you people here. I frequent many other forums other than this one. My favorite one generally has very mature discussions and people; even though many folks there are still in their low teens, there's little to no annoyances I can find with it. When I visit this forum right afterwards, it's like night and day. Compared to what I just left, this looks like a kindergarten recess period, and that's no exaggeration. So here's some general tips on how not to annoy the **** out of your fellow forumites.

1) DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! <ahem> Sorry about that. Capital letters are the online equivalent of shouting at the top of your lungs... in someone's ear. How would you like to have that done to you in real life? When we see a post typed entirely with the Shift key held down, our attention is focused away from your actual message and more on the fact that you're blasting your message at us with a virtual megaphone; nothing could be more rude. I know a lot of people also get really excited when something good happens and they're happy. Let's face it: Not learning to properly control your emotions is a classic trait of immaturity. You wouldn't want to be branded as immature, would you? Didn't think so.

1.5) Hey, don't get me wrong, capitals are pretty useful when you use them right. They're big and fat and easy to pick out; they signal your eyes that this is the start of a new sentence. Therefore, be sure all of your sentences start with capitals. If they don't, people will just clumsily slip and slide right over your post because they can't even see where the sentences start.

2) Don't use a hundred billion smiley faces when one will do. There's nothing more annoying than having 3/4 of a post be taken up by one of these filibusters:

Okay, I think you get the point. In fact, you should never ever use more than one smiley face at a time. Again, I don't care how happy you are, you're going to have to learn how to control your emotions if you don't want to be labeled as a two-year-old. To assess the number of smileys in your post, count the number of lines. If you have more than one smiley for every five lines of text, there's something wrong. You also shouldn't have more than about five smileys total. Keep this in mind as you post: The only reason smileys even exist in the first place is to convey emotions or inflections that are not possible to accomplish using plain text. For instance, a single winking smiley :wink: can make the difference between a caustic remark and a silly, no-offense-intended one, using exactly the same text. But if you're sticking in a smiley just for the sake of doing so, think twice before you click the mouse.

3) Awlays chek you're speeling an gramar. If your home computer has been manufactured within the last decade or so, it will have a spell-checking function built into its word processor. If you regularly have trouble with spelling, copy and paste your post into Word or whatever you use and see what the spell checker brings up. Just apologizing for bad spelling is not good enough; you need to do something about it to prevent our eyes from burning out while we read your post. If a word is badly spelled, it causes your eyes to skip around and go back as they read, which can start to get really annoying after a few misspellings. The same goes for grammar; when you read a sentence that's horribly formulated, your brain starts going back and second-guessing itself to try and figure out what the person really meant, and it can seriously hang you up. Most modern Word-equivalent programs have a grammar checker as well, so use it! Remember: The forums are not an instant-messaging program. You're not chatting in real time, so you have all the time in the world to make sure your post is 100% readable. This applies to substituting "2" for "to" and "4" for "for", as well. There's no excuse for bad spelling or grammar. Well, almost.
Exception: If English is not your native language, you can be excused for a spelling or grammar error here and there, especially if you don't have access to an English-version Word equivalent. Just make sure to periodically remind people in your posts that your errors are caused by your language, not your laziness. :wink:

4) Make sure your post is a helpful contribution to the forums. A lot of people feel they MUST post to EVERY possible topic, even if they have no opinion other than "That sounds great!". This is a classic "bandwagoner" tactic, where you just jump on every topic that catches your eye and agree with everything everybody has said previously, without adding anything of your own. All of the post count increase with none of the work, right? This is laziness, pure and simple. If you can't take the time to add something thoughtful to the discussion, don't post. So you say you think it's great. Why is it great? If you can't think of a good bit of reasoning to back up your post, you shouldn't post at all. Of course, the post count feature in itself is not helping to stop this kind of posting, but that's a forum issue and not a forum-goer one.

5) Learn how to use BBCode properly. If you miss your capital letters, bold or italics might be the thing if you want to emphasize a certain bit of text. And by "bit" I do mean "bit", as in "only a few words in the entire post", not "make the entire thing bold to hurt people's eyes". The same rules apply here as in the first one. Also, make SURE you get the tags right. If you don't, you'll wind up with things like this. If you're totally clueless, just use the handy buttons at the top of the posting page by highlighting your desired text and clicking one. If you have any sort of BBCode at all in your post, preview it first before you post to make sure it's right. There's a reason that "Preview" button exists. Use it.

6) Use appropriate post titles. This is the height of annoying behavior; naming a post "PLEASE HELP MEEE!!!!!" does not give us any helpful information on your situation or problem and will most likely cause us to ignore you entirely because you're so darned annoying. The post title should accurately describe the entire contents of the post in one line, so forum viewers can quickly see which topics they should devote their attention to.

7) Don't hijack threads. This is a very important annoyance and it's the one that can possibly be the most annoying out of all of them. Thread Hijacking is what happens when someone forces the thread conversation away from the original topic. This mostly happens because someone decides to take a private vendetta against another user into a random open post, and they turn the whole topic into their personal battlegrounds while the original poster and conversationalists can't get a word in edgewise. So please, stay on topic. If you have an argument or something to say to another user, that's what the PM function is there for.

The most important rule of all: Use your common sense. Think before you post. Don't just throw out random stuff without carefully considering it and its implications first. Ask yourself: What does this really mean? What is its point? Does it have any practical application? Is it well-thought-out? If your answer to all four of those is "Uhhh.....", you're going to have to rethink your posting strategy.

Whew, that's all the annoyances I can think of. Read them, and be a better forum-goer today!
Sokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I wasn't sure what to do with this post when I first read it... so I'll just share my thoughts on it:

1. Those things all annoy me too.

2. Those things are NOT the rules of our forum! Those are just things that bother Sokko that he felt he wanted to share with you. Take it as such. It'd be great if people posted things that were easier to read, but there's certainly no requirement to do so.

3. A very large number of our forum visitors are not just young, but YOUNG! I don't expect 9 to 11 year olds to be carrying on extremely mature, thought-provoking discussion about world affairs, or to spell very well, or know grammar terribly well, or to know how (or care) to copy their posts into word and spell check them.

Kids today are pushed too fast to grow up. I don't mean the whole business about sex, violence, drugs and TV and all the horrible evils of the world. I'm talking about school. Kids don't get to play anymore. My wife is an elementary school teacher, so I hear about this stuff all the time. It drives her nuts the way the educational system is set up, and rightly so. Kids are driven with nonstop piles of homework and standardized tests that don't mean anything for their lives except whether they get to move on in school. That said, I'm certainly not going to further that by asking young kids to perfect their grammar on my forum. If you can communicate well enough to be understood and to help other people get past big googly eyed monsters, you're doing just fine. You'll get good at writing as you grow up, and the fact that you are so into computers and gaming that you're visiting this forum just means you'll do it all that much faster - withOUT being pushed, and without having to work at it. It'll happen naturally, like learning truly should.

We all grow up eventually, and when we do, we miss being young and silly!

:? GOOD THING I'M OLD AND SILLY! :P :wink:

(note: seriously, please don't post garbage like I just did... it really is annoying.)
Old 03-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Sokko
Dumb Person

Heh, I'm one of those people who do everything so fast that my brain is finely tuned to the intricacies of, among other things, the english language, and when I hit something like "PLESE HELP!!! I dont now wat 2 do my gaem has crahsed PLEEZE HELP ME!", my mind gets smacked so hard my head almost splits open. It's like running full-speed into a brick wall, especially after reading a mile a minute with no stumbling in some other forum. Of note is the fact that a lot if not all of these points are actually in numerous books on basic online etiquette. Consider it my mostly-intellectual rant of the day.

Quote:
My wife is an elementary school teacher
Say no more. I have heard already from my mother, many times over, the many fundamental evils of the U.S. school system, and she doesn't even work in it! Of course in my school we have bigger things to worry about, like the fact that the roof looks as if it might collapse on your head at any moment. The senior citizens are being stingy with their tax dollars again. :?
Old 03-11-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Wow, I couldn't agree with that first post more. I had always thought about posting something like this, but I could never get that much stuff down. I'd have about 20 words for 10 things. Good job!
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
The Emperor Master
The bouncy overlord!

Send a message via MSN to The Emperor Master

I agree about the first post. Honestly, I prefer [99.99%] to spell correctly for one simple reason...When I don't, I feel stupid.
1. Hmm, well, this one is understandable.
2. Ugh, when I was younger I would do this, but it's annoying and makes your eyes spin. I wouldn't dare do it anymore, well, maybe in the Post Nonsense, but nowhere else. Ever.
3. Grammar and spelling is something I like to do.
4. Well, honestly, I don't even care about my post number. Also, did you consider when somebody really, and I mean really likes something, but can't figure out why? Sometimes this situation happens with me. Also, I could spend hours finding out what I like about it, with no luck at all.
5. Well, I agree about this one about as much as I like Hamumu. [in short: People shouldn't really make a whole paragraph {unless you're RPing [Role Playing] in Simibhu Squared, then there's an exception}]
6. Ugh, the "PLZ HEP MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!11 {translated} PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONEONE" post title. I almost gag just looking at those.
7. Unfortunately, not as many people have common sense anymore. [I'm 13, not 50, and I hear this from my dad about every 2 weeks]

P.S. I previewed this for spelling errors and all that stuff. Like Jamul said, these isn't rules, and they shouldn't be, but they should be taken into effect. If these were rules, then, um, how to say this...About 100 [maybe] of our members at Hamumu would be gone for good, and never coming back.

Edit: sorry about the edit, but something occured to me. I check about 4-12 forums, and this one's the better behaved of them, for me. There's one forum where you have older teens-adults flaming and doing all this stuff at each other, just about every 2 posts. It's a forum for something I like though, so I have to tolerate it, but compared to that forum, this one's much more behaved. I remember about 5000 topics in the other one closed just because of those very reasons.
The Emperor Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Sokko
Dumb Person

That's the problem with the world. You can easily have 15-year-olds that are five times more mature than some 50-year-olds, and it doesn't help things one bit that the older ones think they have the right to flame away because, since they're that old, they're automatically "mature". I've seen some real rednecks in my time, believe me.

Fortunately, this forum doesn't suffer from an abundance of flames more than an abundance of silliness. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, too much silliness makes it hard for people to accurately receive your message.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
Xantos Guin
Dumb Person

One smiley every 5 lines is too strict.
something like is not to annoying.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

It doesn't need to be every 5 lines. If you have more than one in a row, though, it does get to be annoying.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
simibhu
Dumb Person

Send a message via AIM to simibhu Send a message via MSN to simibhu Send a message via Yahoo to simibhu

Dave, I REALLY liked your flaming on my old forums. Now stop it. You can tell me, not annoy me and make me feel bad.
simibhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #10
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Wait... what?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
simibhu
Dumb Person

Send a message via AIM to simibhu Send a message via MSN to simibhu Send a message via Yahoo to simibhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthol Moose
1. Get a skin.
2. Get a new header.
3. Get off of this crappy host.
4. Respond to my message.

I'll think of more when I get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman778
Who's dissing these forums again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Emperor Master
Dave Hettel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantos Guin
It's a good thing that Dave hasn't joined simibhu's other forum.
Notice the words in bold print. Read it completely.[/quote]
Old 03-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Ah... but I still don't get what you said previously that you liked it. And how did you get this from me saying whetever I said about the 5 lines?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
simibhu
Dumb Person

THAT was Cheezeman778. THAT post is in the old forum, where I left everything, but noone can enter.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
Warmaster129
Medium Mortal

Out of the few lines I see there, I find that Dave is a victim of somebody's lack of knowing what constructive criticism is. Telling somebody to improve their forums isn't flaming. If there was more to it than those five lines, then give us the rest of it.

And mixing up 'to' and 'too' is one of the most annoying things you can type. It makes it look like the post was done by a 5 year old, even if everything else is perfect.

And a few exceptions to the smiley thing. Used like Mike just did is semi-acceptable. Big extravagant messages sometimes need that, but please conserve big extravagant messages. We don't need them every post. And then there's when multiple emotions are needed. Note: throwing random crap together is not protected by this exeption.

And don't forget that smileys minus Total Mayhem equals bad. I got banned for that very thing way oh way back when I was 11 or 12. I can't remember. I'm just trying to help a new generation avoid looking like they just got out of kindergarten.
Warmaster129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
The Emperor Master
The bouncy overlord!

[quote="Warmaster129"]Out of the few lines I see there, I find that Dave is a victim of somebody's lack of knowing what constructive criticism is. Telling somebody to improve their forums isn't flaming. If there was more to it than those five lines, then give us the rest of it.
quote]
well, i got another quote for you, and this Isn't constructive criticism!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel
Ooo! I want mine to be 'This Sucks!'
Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #16
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Alright, well, that was... um... destructive criticism! That's right. Also, I still don't get what simibhu said, unless I'm being stupid, which I'm probably not, this post is pretty messed up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simibhu
Dave, I REALLY liked your flaming on my old forums. Now stop it. You can tell me, not annoy me and make me feel bad.
Now, I don't get what that means. It sounds like simibhu liked it but now he wants me to stop. And what else I don't get is how he got my "flaming" his forum from me commenting to Xantos about one of the Annoyances.

There ends my mini-rant of the minute (Wow, sounds like something you could sell on an infomercial.)
Old 03-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #17
Sokko
Dumb Person

Judging by the Emperor Master's post, I think he's a victim of a misplaced bracket.

/me points to Annoyance #5 impatiently

Now, could you PLEASE take your shouting matches elsewhere? Like, perhaps PMing each other? This is another thing that really annoys me, and it's called Thread Hijacking. Look for it to be added to the post above in a few minutes. Now stop arguing, children.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #18
The Emperor Master
The bouncy overlord!

whoops. I thought something was wrong. sorry. [i'm an emotional type, so you know. Can't help emotions sometimes.]
Old 03-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #19
The Emperor Master
The bouncy overlord!

Quote:
destructive criticism!
destructive criticism my eye. That was plain being rude and insulting.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #20
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Alright, I'm sorry, that was supposed to be a joke. Should've used a smiley. Like this one

P.S. I still want an answer to my previous post. It is quoted below:

Quote:
Also, I still don't get what simibhu said, unless I'm being stupid, which I'm probably not, this post is pretty messed up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simibhu
Now, I don't get what that means. It sounds like simibhu liked it but now he wants me to stop. And what else I don't get is how he got my "flaming" his forum from me commenting to Xantos about one of the Annoyances.