Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 04-13-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
supreme_bouapha
Dumb Person

Default new supreme pacth needed

when i try to upload my scores it goes to 47 then my game crashes you have to fix that

"Its certainly pointless and annoying,but I say you chould always keep it."

"The words of a true spisfan."
supreme_bouapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

It "goes to 47"? I don't know what that means. But I'd appreciate if you didn't express a problem you're having with the game as "new supreme patch needed". If you are having a problem with the game, it's probably something specific to you that can be fixed. Generally, that's best handled in email, since it's probably not something that affects anyone else. Send me an email with as much information as you can - about the problem you're having (exactly when and where each thing happens, what you mean by crashing, and what you do beforehand, because I can't see your screen), and about your computer and anything else that might relate. The forum is for general issues that everyone can learn from.

I see this a lot, and it's because of this that I was reluctant to post much publically about the patches I was making. As soon as people hear that you are fixing problems in the game, they immediately think anything they encounter must be a bug and needs a patch. Like with peoples' requests for help on levels. It used to be "Gee, I can't find the squash keychain! Where is it??", and now it's "There's no squash keychain in that world, we need a patch". The truth is that nearly all problems are not bugs at all. It's a tricky game, and finding all the secrets is not easy - most likely, you just haven't found them! Sure, there have been some actual mistakes in the worlds, but that's extremely rare, so it's best to assume you just haven't been able to find it.

Here's an anecdote: I get about an email every other week from someone complaining that all of a sudden the sounds in Supreme have gotten all scrambled and weird sounding. What could be wrong? It's always the same "bug": they bumped the Subliminal Mode locker, and are hearing backwards sounds. It's not only not a bug in the game, it's exactly what's supposed to happen! And it's funny.

I'm not trying to discourage people from pointing out problems they find, because we need to know about any problems, and even if it's not a real problem, it's affecting you, and you need to know what to do about it. I'm just asking people not to jump to the conclusion that the game is horribly broken. I mean really, if uploading scores caused a crash in general, would we only have discovered this now, after the game had been out for 6 months, and the online high score board is full of hundreds of peoples' scores?

Of course, all that said, this kind of sounds like it's some very obscure case that may be patchable, but anyway...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
supreme_bouapha
Dumb Person

WHAT I MEANT WAS ACTUALLY WHEN I UPLOADED MY SCORE it went up to 47%(i forgot to put the %)it frooze and crash and i had to use the task manager.

"Its certainly pointless and annoying,but I say you chould always keep it."

"The words of a true spisfan."
supreme_bouapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

This could go either way - try uploading again. If it does the same thing, email me your files "hiscore.dat" and "hitime.dat" (from the Supreme directory), and "yourname.prf" (from the Profiles subdirectory), and maybe I can find something amiss. If it doesn't do it again, then your connection just failed or something else broke, and it has nothing to do with Supreme.