Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 05-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
CatWoman
Brainiac!

Default Mayday opinions / questions

This thread is for opinions or questions on Mayday. Absolutely NO guessing world builders, and try not to give yourself away if you say something about the level you built.

I'll start.

Disasterpiece Theater was sheer genius, but I already said that in another topic.

I won't mention the name of the secret level since some of you may not have found it yet, but there is something in there that is absolutely the funniest thing I have ever seen in any world, ever! I laughed until I cried. :P :P :P
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I'm surprised at how few people entered levels (come on people, it's just one level! And there are prizes!! Don't you wanna become a ninja?). I guess I shouldn't be - 10 entries isn't so shabby. But I know a fair number of people who build worlds regularly weren't in on it. Well, that's why it's monthly - you can always participate next time!

I'm also surprised at how many of the levels were car based, at least in part. I suppose moving around at high speed does help convey a sense of urgency!

One thing that didn't surprise me at all is that most of the levels use time limits. I expected that with the emergency theme!

Actually I thought the choices of emergencies were interesting, that wasn't what I expected at all. An amazing assortment of things from cleaning up the house before Dr. L gets home and being late for school, all the way over to stopping an asteroid from hitting the earth and preventing a bunny sacrifice!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Hammered
Nailed It!

Feedback for everyone (including myself, as I don't want to give anything away)

Abduction -
Among the tougher of the levels. That room full of water kiiled me when I ran through at an angle!

Action -
I've stated elsewhere that I am not a fan of driving levels. This one mostly had enough pizza, although it was a little bit touch and go near the front, and probably because I don't especially enjoy driving levels it was a little long.

Ambush! -
I did this one once without even knowing that the reinforcements were available. I only discovered them when I was looking for the keychian. The difficulty was right for me without the reinforcements. With the reinforcements, it's a litle on the easy side.

Bouapha, Fireman -
More driving, but not too bad, but better not lose too much health on the way, 'cause that house is dangerous. Nice balance, not too hard!

Disasterpiece Theater -
I agree with Christian on this one. Bravo! However, some of those scenarios are a little bit tough, but not too tough if you consider that you only have to beat one of them to win the level.

Dr. Lunatic's Return -
Only difficult because of the time limit. Bouapha must be a messy eater if he can't keep better track of his pizza than that. Funny concept!

Emergency After Emergency! -
I suppose that keychain wouldn't have been so impossible if it was the candle the builder originally made it (with radar on), but we only have Jamul to thank for that! I suppose he was trying to make us annoyed with you since you killed him! Nice concept though and not too tough if if wasn't for all the extra little dark crannies where that keychain might have bee!

Hub -
Thank you for the special entry points for Disasterpiece Theater, but of course if you weren't so mean that you required us to pass all of them to get the Loony Key, we wouldn't have needed them.

Late For School -
Another driving level, but I didn't mind. It wasn't difficult, but it was still fun running around trying to find the right classroom before the bell rang. That took me back more than a few years!

Saving Bunny -
Driving yet again. but at least there is barely enough pizza, if you don't make too many mistakes. Liked the extra hidden things.

The Ultimate Emergency -
This one was really hard! Yhe water just didn't stand out enough against all the "noise" of the other background, if you know what I mean, and it was too many bugs and it was hard to dodge them all and get in a good shot at one of them while dodging puddles. I did think the BSoD was hilarious, after I determined it wasn't genuine!

Overall, a decent job (at least) by all and thank you to everyone who contributed to this world.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

I wonder what Junes world 'theme' will be.
I expect that the later monthly merge worlds will improve on the one we just had as time passes!
(Not to say that May-Day was bad, good job everyone it was a great challenge)
My 'review' will follow shortly.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
Sokko
Dumb Person

I was surprised at the severe lack of Particle Accelerators in the levels, especially considering how sluggish Bouapha moves normally. If I was making an emergency level, the first thing I would do would be to set up a special that gives the player permanent acceleration, giving a much greater sense of urgency.

I also noticed that many of the levels did not have countdown timers. They simply told you "do X in Y amount of time" and assumed you'd keep track of things on your own. Countdown timers add loads of tension, especially when you get down to the last few seconds and you're not sure if you're going to make it.
Sokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
CatWoman
Brainiac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokko
If I was making an emergency level, the first thing I would do would be to set up a special that gives the player permanent acceleration, giving a much greater sense of urgency.
You might get the prize for urgency, but I couldn't win a level like this and would soon give up so I could play someone else's level. I am totally uncoordinated at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokko
I also noticed that many of the levels did not have countdown timers.
They can be distracting, causing a player to drive into a wall while he/she is watching the timer. I find it more suspenseful to wonder how much time I have left.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Hammered
Nailed It!

I find that Particle Accelerator and also the speed up function (special fire key) of the You-Go were the inspiration for that old saying "Haste Makes waste!"
Old 05-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
myc
Dumb Person

In "Action"--Where is the keychain? Can anyone please give me a hint, where I can find it, how I can get to it? Thank you!
myc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
myc
Dumb Person

Never mind, I finally got it! Thanks anyway!
myc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
worldtesterguy
Guy Who Tests Worlds

:P

I think everyone did a great job on this world.
I, unfortunately, hate timed levels.
I like to take my time and look at everything and smell the roses.
This world was my worst nightmare come true!
The good thing is:
I didn't have to test it!!!!!

Yay!!!

Keep up the good work!

World Tester Guy
:P
worldtesterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #11
Hammered
Nailed It!

Yes, but were you the guest builder?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #12
blackmyth
eats people.

Erm, I have something to say about the The Ultimate Emergency, the BSoD was hilarious! I almost thought it was real, and my mom was like "Oh, well the computer has been screwing up lately!" But when I pressed Z as an experiment, it dissapeared and the level continued. I was, however, unable to beat that level ever! The water is hard to avoid, there is no health whatsoever, and the lava kept shaving off my life! It was wonderfully creative, but too hard for me!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

ARRRG! Anyone got a solution to each of the set of disaster piece theater levels?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
blackmyth
eats people.

All I have to say is, not me! I have not gotten to that level(s? ) yet, I still have to beat Dr. Lunatic's Return, which I have gotten close to (but never did) beating it!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
CatWoman
Brainiac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
ARRRG! Anyone got a solution to each of the set of disaster piece theater levels?
Which ones are you having trouble with? I can help.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
McMonkeyMcBean
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmyth
Erm, I have something to say about the The Ultimate Emergency, the BSoD was hilarious! I almost thought it was real, and my mom was like "Oh, well the computer has been screwing up lately!" But when I pressed Z as an experiment, it dissapeared and the level continued. I was, however, unable to beat that level ever! The water is hard to avoid, there is no health whatsoever, and the lava kept shaving off my life! It was wonderfully creative, but too hard for me!
I agree with this. I loved the idea, but I don't think I've ever gotten more frustrated with a level. One less monster or a few less lava tiles would have made this a lot more enjoyable.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #17
qsbride
Large Mortal

Default disasterpiece theater

I'm just a bit confused with this already. I beat the 8 worlds and the secret level. I got all the keychains. I got into disasterpiece but the screen is black so I cheated and used lights on. I'm in a gray box and can't move. I'm at 98% because I can't get the candle because I can't move. What did I do wrong or forget to do?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #18
Hammered
Nailed It!

When you went back in after the candle, did you enter Disasterpiece through the center, or one of the outlying entrances?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #19
CatWoman
Brainiac!

I would like to know that as well. Since this was my favorite level, I played it a zillion times, so maybe I can help!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #20
Hammered
Nailed It!

I know what you mean, I had to play a bunch of times just to get that darn candle!